View Full Version : Armstrong vs. a Mover

BigStereotype
01-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Is there any (watchable) footage of Armstrong vs. a great outside fighter? I want to see how great he was at cutting off the ring.

Barn
01-31-2012, 03:00 AM
I would by no means say Ross was an out and out mover but, he tries here.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ib397JHEWkU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mickey malone
02-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Some good footage there..

Not taking anything away from Armstrong's greatness, but he looks pretty dangerous with the head in this one.. Noticed the odd rabbit punch going in there aswell.. Just goes to show how much tougher the game was back then..

BennyST
02-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Ross wasn't much of a mover either. He didn't try to in that vid very much really. I think he thought he could outfight him like he did most of his guys with smart counters.

BigStereotype
02-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks, man, but I'm looking for more of a flat-out runner. Ross dances around a little bit but when push comes to shove, he's right there in the trenches. Do you know if there's any such footage?

Barn
02-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks, man, but I'm looking for more of a flat-out runner. Ross dances around a little bit but when push comes to shove, he's right there in the trenches. Do you know if there's any such footage?
I had a little look and this is the best I could find.

The first half minute or so of this fight.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-o8xB9rI5EM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Running wasn't as popular back in the 40's and 50's.

BigStereotype
02-01-2012, 03:18 PM
I had a little look and this is the best I could find.

The first half minute or so of this fight.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-o8xB9rI5EM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Running wasn't as popular back in the 40's and 50's.

Thanks man! I really appreciate you looking.

McGoorty
05-09-2012, 02:33 AM
Thing is, most out and out movers were usually booed out of the ring in those days,, punters expected a war and usually got it, a fighter had to fight hard to become popular, and those who weren't popular went hungry.

Anthony342
05-09-2012, 03:25 AM
Thing is, most out and out movers were usually booed out of the ring in those days,, punters expected a war and usually got it, a fighter had to fight hard to become popular, and those who weren't popular went hungry.

I often wish that were still the case. That's the problem with the sport these days, too much running. Boxing needs more guys like Pacquiao and Cotto these days.

McGoorty
05-09-2012, 04:26 AM
I often wish that were still the case. That's the problem with the sport these days, too much running. Boxing needs more guys like Pacquiao and Cotto these days.
Yep, and thats one reason I do not understand why there is so much anti-Paquiao feeling around, I suppose its because he's not an american or a Brit, something this Aussie can relate to, one thing about Aussie fighters,, the vast majority do not showboat or boast, because if they do,, the whole country watches with glee when they finally get dismantled by some non Aussie fighter,, we would rather watch a George Barnes than an Anthony Mundine any day of the week... RIP Barnesy

Barn
05-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I love boxing matches. If everyone was a straight up boxer and smart about it I probably wouldn't complain either.

I'm not a massive fan of out and out brawlers with lesser skill such as Marciano and the like, just feel it's a little boring to watch.