View Full Version : Is MMA dying?

Fat.G
01-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Was it just a fade like K1 and kickboxing? Because I haven't heared many positive comments on the last UFC card.

Harry Balls
01-30-2012, 11:18 AM
the last ufc card was crap. before that we've seen a lot of good ones.

Is boxing a fad because B-hop vs Dawson didnt deliver?
I don't get your point really.

MMA is doing very well, and ufc especially. I think they can't expect to grow in such rapid rate going forward tho. The fox deal is quite significant tho.

Fat.G
01-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Yeah but do you guys really think it will grow? I recently joined sherdog and I had the feeling 80 % of the posters there were geeks, guys who are too old to watch dragon ball z so instead they watch UFC.

I have a feeling UFC is just a fade. Boxing 5 years ago was in a terrible shape but recently has bounced back IMO.

Harry Balls
01-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Yeah but do you guys really think it will grow? I recently joined sherdog and I had the feeling 80 % of the posters there were geeks, guys who are too old to watch dragon ball z so instead they watch UFC.

I have a feeling UFC is just a fade. Boxing 5 years ago was in a terrible shape but recently has bounced back IMO.
geeks are kind of a large population even if that is true.

it's most likely not a fad. It's been going strong for a few decades now, with an even deeper history than that. I don't agree with it "beating boxing" as i feel boxing is a larger sport worldwide by quite a margin. But MMA is without a doubt a mainstream sport now with ppv-numbers to back it up and a really good multi-year deal with FOX.

iLovesoccermoms
01-30-2012, 11:38 AM
poster harry balls..

UFC stop being cool less then a couple years ago..

it will ALWAYS have a core audience..but i GUARANTEE it has gone as far as it ever will.

they had CHANCE AFTER CHANCE year after year to show what there about and the entire world knows who they are but their only reacting so much..

even if theyre averaging a pathetic 200,000 buys you'll still see those stupid "were so close to mainstream" threads all over sherdog..trust me.

without vince mcmahons superstar i dont know what UFC is gonna do to attract new fans.. fans rather have a freak like Kimbo because casuals have reacted SO MUCH MORE positively towards him while knowing FULL WELL that UFC exists and they went right past it..

UFC aint goin anywhere but i dont know about that fantasy dream of mainstream acceptance,

that ship had sailed when brock lesnar decided to take dancing lessons

HUGEBOXINGFAN
01-30-2012, 11:45 AM
I think it has peeked and is on the down slope. I remember in 2009 during 100 a few of my buddies were all about ufc thought it was so amazing. They really do not watch or keep up with it now. Its not going away I just think it is going downhill.

Harry Balls
01-30-2012, 11:47 AM
UFC stop being cool less then a couple years ago..
I think it stopped being cool around the time Chuck got dethroned. It's mostly TUF 1 that drew a massive influx of new fans and that was about 6 years ago i think.

it will ALWAYS have a core audience..but i GUARANTEE it has gone as far as it ever will.
Pretty sick core audience to get monthly 200+K ppv's with peaks of 1-1.4 for the largest event.

they had CHANCE AFTER CHANCE year after year to show what there about and the entire world knows who they are but their only reacting so much..
Yet they get signed with FOX on a multiyear deal worth over 100 million per year just some months ago?

Why isn't this happening to boxing? God knows they're trying.

even if theyre averaging a pathetic 200,000 buys you'll still see those stupid "were so close to mainstream" threads all over sherdog..trust me.
It is mainstream. Getting 200k for the worst cards when you put out 2+ PPV's a month is really good.
Their big sellers get close to a million buys with that outlier that gets 1.3-1.4

Boxing is the same way. Most boxing ppv's get x to 200k ppvs.
The stars get 400-700k (your cottos, marquez's etc).
Only Floyd and Pac get more than that. Same with UFC.

without vince mcmahons superstar i dont know what UFC is gonna do to attract new fans.. fans rather have a freak like Kimbo because casuals have reacted SO MUCH MORE positively towards him while knowing FULL WELL that UFC exists and they went right past it..
No idea what this even means. Clarify please.

UFC aint goin anywhere but i dont know about that fantasy dream of mainstream acceptance,

that ship had sailed when brock lesnar decided to take dancing lessons
Look at ESPN. Look at FOX. Look at the PPV'numbers. "UFC" is mainstream already. It's not as big as football or basketball, but it's still quite a factor. It could reach boxings popularity with more exposure like they will get on FOX.

GSP is ufc's biggest star. Always was. Brock Lesnar included.

HUGEBOXINGFAN
01-30-2012, 11:55 AM
I agree they have some strong points but come on man that stuff does not get any coverage on ESPN.

Harry Balls
01-30-2012, 12:03 PM
I agree they have some strong points but come on man that stuff does not get any coverage on ESPN.

it does quite frequently.

HUGEBOXINGFAN
01-30-2012, 12:05 PM
it does quite frequently.

Not true. They cover 10 more sports in depth than mma.

Harry Balls
01-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Not true. They cover 10 more sports in depth than mma.
Not sure about 10, but did i say MMA gets more coverage than other mainstream sports? You said it didn't get any cover. It does.

HUGEBOXINGFAN
01-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Not sure about 10, but did i say MMA gets more coverage than other mainstream sports? You said it didn't get any cover. It does.

Come on dude stop being unreasonable. It gets an extremely small amount of coverage. I watch ESPN a good amount and rarely ever see anything on their about mma.

Dana even said ESPN hates ufc/mma and said they do not want to cover it saying it is not a real sport.

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/8/20/2374551/dana-white-espn-has-always-hated-us-and-they-hate-us-even-more-now

Harry Balls
01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Come on dude stop being unreasonable. It gets an extremely small amount of coverage. I watch ESPN a good amount and rarely ever see anything on their about mma.

Dana even said ESPN hates ufc/mma and said they do not want to cover it saying it is not a real sport.

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/8/20/2374551/dana-white-espn-has-always-hated-us-and-they-hate-us-even-more-now
Dana White is a biased idiot who think MMA will compete with the NFL and outsell Soccer in Brazil as the largest sport over there.

I'm not saying mma (ufc) is anywhere close to the big 4 in the us.
It is to be considered mainstream though (i guess not if it's limited to the big 4, and excluding boxing) and it gets a lot of coverage in "normal press". It gets acceptable ratings on FOX and it does very well in ppv-sales. It's not a niche anymore.

HUGEBOXINGFAN
01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Dana White is a biased idiot who think MMA will compete with the NFL and outsell Soccer in Brazil as the largest sport over there.

I'm not saying mma (ufc) is anywhere close to the big 4 in the us.
It is to be considered mainstream though (i guess not if it's limited to the big 4, and excluding boxing) and it gets a lot of coverage in "normal press". It gets acceptable ratings on FOX and it does very well in ppv-sales. It's not a niche anymore.

Ya I can agree with this but at the same time I would say it was in a good bit better place about 2-3 years ago from what I have noticed. I read an article and the guy from that espn segment about fighters pay who was trying to get the fighters to have a union cant remember his name but him and some other managers of fighters say the fighters from ufc are getting roughly 10-11% of the revenue thats fuked up.

Big BRICKS
01-30-2012, 01:34 PM
yes, soon it will be replaced by real steel

http://images.wikia.com/realsteel/images/5/59/Hugh-Jackman-with-star-robot-Atom-in-Real-Steel.jpg

iLovesoccermoms
01-30-2012, 01:42 PM
harry,

ufc IS NOT MAINSTREAM Greys Anotomy is f*cken mainstream,
ufc is well known, it is NOT and CLEARLY been accepted by the overall public

not even close,

u can give me all the good numbers u want it means little to nothing when people are saying its mainstream, its SPKETV Popular,

and already ufc ratings have been falling for a couple years now, [thanks kimbo for your efforts]

theyre a PAYPERVIEW company

and heavily rely on just that, just like boxing..

but UNLIKE Boxing it hasnt been accepted by the overall public

but how come ufc is more popular than boxing and still not mainstream?

easy..

because ufc has consistency and boxing simply doesnt..

ufc can headline payperview with bums and they'll get more buys then boxing would unless its our top guys, put our lesser known guys in main events and put them in a payperview VS ufc unknowns, ufc will destroy boxing with more buys strictly based on company name value alone..

thats not mainstream,

NFL does like 20 million viewers for regular ass football games, THATS Mainstream.

ufc is not there and has had many MANY chances and has NOT failed..but only went so far the past 6 years..it has A LONG ladder to climb to become mainstream let me tell you that..

TR vs. GB
01-30-2012, 01:47 PM
define mainstream? maybe its just me and my group of friends but i dont really know anyone who is a big fan of it or who does it. but all my friends are for the most part mexican

Fat.G
01-30-2012, 05:33 PM
And like I said majority of UFC fans are geeks who know nothing about fighting. They watch UFC because it reminds them of DBZ, Manga, bruce lee movies, ...
And they like it because the commentators use words like Axe kick, flying dragon kick or whatever. But ones the geek community moves over to another sport, tv show, comic, ... UFC will be pretty much done.

HUGEBOXINGFAN
01-30-2012, 05:54 PM
This video shines a little light on this topic.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NudbvGcWweY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

F l i c k e r
01-30-2012, 05:57 PM
You're dying. :wave:

shadeyfizzle
01-30-2012, 08:26 PM
If by "dying" you mean it's lost it's initial luster then yes.

Ufc used to have an air of barbarianism that it no longer has.

Gone is the curiosity of which martial art is best.

The trick now is to get worldwide recognition as a legitimate sport. It's not gonna happen overnight. It took boxing roughly 150yrs enduring ups and downs to do it so for a sport that's only a bit over 20yrs old its on an excellent trajectory.

Unknown Champ
01-31-2012, 04:21 AM
I got kimbo win lose or draw, why? because Kimbo's out the backyard hahahahhahaha

them_apples
01-31-2012, 05:33 AM
A lot of MMA fans are nerds. It's true. Regardless if there are "true" MMA fans, the majority of them are former or current WWE fans.

Miburo
01-31-2012, 10:29 AM
It definitely lost a lot of its luster for me around the demise of Pride. The UFC though has an abundance of casual fans.

Money Shot
01-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Its been going downhill for a couple of years. They need marketable stars and competitive fights, stuff like Evans vs Jones is not competitive and I don't think Jones, good as he is, has the star power like their top guys had six, seven years ago: Couture, Liddell, BJ, Tito, Hughes.., even Franklin had drawing power. Edgar and GSP don't float my boat enough and neither does Silva or Dos Santos. Other than that, the fights are all too often turning into dull grappling affairs or are over after thirty seconds because they have china chins or poor skills.

ƒallenloki
01-31-2012, 01:28 PM
MMA is not dying.

It's definitely plateaued, though.

The product has stopped improving and the people have grown tired of it.

ƒallenloki
01-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Lettuce be real...

Great fights today are the exception, not the rule.

-2 Scrappy-
01-31-2012, 02:23 PM
DUMBEST ****IN THREAD EVER!

That is absolutely ridiculous. They have one bad night after months of consecutive excellent fights and now its dying? Lmao you guys are retarded its only getting bigger. I live in pa and news channels are still talking about Penn,state golden boy phil davis and their talking about getting a event in hershey real soon.

The only bad thing about the UFC right now is rookie mistakes with fox. That hour long broadcast to show a 2 minute fight was terrible when the whole undercard was sick, none of u idiots would be talkin ***** if they showed guida bendo. And the last card only sucked because munoz got hurt atleast they don't cancel the whole card like boxing.

STFU none of u have any idea what your talking about. Let's see whos talking ***** when miller an nate diaz give us a classic fight on the next card.

Cloud
01-31-2012, 02:36 PM
UFC is going stale, not MMA. They still have good fights coming up though.

That my opinion any way.

Kakutogi-Gumi
02-09-2012, 12:11 PM

While I do agree with this statement, you can't deny the fact that ESPN's coverage of MMA waxed and waned with Brock Lesnar's title reign.

ESPN didn't give a **** until a guy they perceive as a "pro wrestler" (total disregard to his collegiate accolades) had a title contention.

croz
02-09-2012, 07:36 PM
MMA in general has likely lost much of its mystique. The new problem isn't that MMA will whither out and die but that people will become pickier about what they buy. UFC needs to develop new draws and only time will tell if they'll manage to do this.

Also it's become pretty undeniable that a lot of the UFCs buys come from a hardcore bunch of individual fans who will buy anything. So you can have 250k people accounting for 250k buys ... where as with boxing a card that does 250k will have 10 people for every 1 buy. Boxing has a much wider more solidified demographic than the UFC no matter what they say.

In terms to percentage MMA have 80% of their fan base under 36 but almost nothing over that. Boxing has 40% of their fan base under 36% but a strong following in all age demographics including 15% females. Boxing's demos are much similiar to the NBA and NFL's more mainstream following, while the UFC's are on par with other extreme sports. Could MMA's following of 80% under 36 really be healthy when 56% of the NFLs following are over that age? Having a young demographic is only good in the eyes of advertisers, not for the over all well being of the sport.

Yogi Bear
02-12-2012, 09:02 PM
mma died the same night brock retired..

..we all know it

Marchegiano
02-17-2012, 11:33 PM
from the fastest growing to the fastest dying sport. All with in on pro wrestlers career.

DeltaSigChi4
02-18-2012, 02:24 AM
No. :boxing:

E

elgranluchadore
02-18-2012, 02:42 AM
Its stale but it's not dying, i hate the whole trying to legitimize the sport kinda fad Dana White has IMO the sport is as legitimate as its gonna get and its not helping them increase their popularity. Who cares about legitimate wrestling matches id rather have some freakshow fight it would be more entertaining
They need big stars like Lesnar and KImbo and feuds like tito vs ken to catch the attention of the fans, who cares if ppl question if its real WWF was huge in the 90`s and everybody knew it was fake.

If UFC followed the format Pride had in its heyday i bet they would do much better buyrates

dough401
02-19-2012, 01:21 AM
from the fastest growing to the fastest dying sport. All with in on pro wrestlers career.

No. :boxing:

E

mma died the same night brock retired..

:fu2: This has to be joke right? Come on get a little education on the sport and what the deal is come back keep watching your boxing and there robbery's yeah Cloud vs Campillo dont come back till have a good fight come on and Williams beating on someone that isn't important in the fight game not interested.

..we all know it[/QUOTE]

The_Golden_Boi
02-19-2012, 10:21 AM
I think so, like someone else said on this it has peeked and now on the decline, not that it's a rubbish sport or anything of that sort but I do believe that it won't get bigger than it already is now. Still some great fights happening and still a great watch but there isn't a chance (I believe) for it to grow any more than it has done. It's done well for itself and will always be a money maker though.

Marchegiano
02-19-2012, 11:13 AM
:fu2: This has to be joke right? Come on get a little education on the sport and what the deal is come back keep watching your boxing and there robbery's yeah Cloud vs Campillo dont come back till have a good fight come on and Williams beating on someone that isn't important in the fight game not interested.

..we all know it[/QUOTE]

Yes......but that is my favorite emote. That little guys makes me smile everytime

mmavacations
02-18-2013, 03:53 AM
I'm not sure if low ratings on TUF means anything other than TUF is a ****ty television shiw. I guess it could mean MMA is dying. Your thesis is MMA is dying, the antithesis is that it isn't.