View Full Version : The punching power of Julian Jackson and the handspeed of Meldrick Taylor

Flo_Raiden
01-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Is it possible for a person to have handspeed as fast as Meldrick Taylor, while at the same time have the punching power of Julian Jackson? I know guys like Roy Jones Jr and Yuriorkis Gamboa spring to mind whenever we think of speed combined with power, but in this case I'm talking about a person who is able to have lightning quick hands and can also put people to sleep in the same fashion as Julian Jackson.

BigStereotype
01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nOGzZ2k4jfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not quite Taylor and not quite Jackson but...damn.

dan_cov
01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Mike Tyson.
Prime Shane Mosley.
Roy Jones.

Tommy Hearns, Hagler...

New England
01-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Is it possible for a person to have handspeed as fast as Meldrick Taylor, while at the same time have the punching power of Julian Jackson? I know guys like Roy Jones Jr and Yuriorkis Gamboa spring to mind whenever we think of speed combined with power, but in this case I'm talking about a person who is able to have lightning quick hands and can also put people to sleep in the same fashion as Julian Jackson.

tommy hearns had lightning fast combinations and a lazer right hand

and we all know what it looked like when he hit somebody on the chin

Barn
01-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Winner was BS with the Sugar Man.

Other people not mentioned are: Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Leonard.

kendom
01-26-2012, 06:30 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nOGzZ2k4jfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not quite Taylor and not quite Jackson but...damn.

And we have a winner...

Sugarj
01-26-2012, 07:14 PM

There are a lot of fighters with dazzling speed and frightening knockout power.

Tommy Hearns and Mike Tyson are the first that jump to mind. Dazzling, speed, combinations and one punch knockout power.

But consider Floyd Patterson, when he actually fought people his size and weight he knocked them unconscious......and nobody had faster hands up at heavyweight than Floyd. As a combination puncher, he is still a marvel.

Gerald McClellan had fast hands and serious knockout power. Prince Naseem Hamed too. Bob Foster had serious speed and power.

Hell, the more I think, the more names jump to mind.

But respect to Meldrick Taylor and Julian Jackson, for speedy combinations and one punch KO power respectively they'd make a great hybrid (with Oliver McCall's chin!!!).

Sugarj
01-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Felix Trinidad too! Check out the fight with Mayorga for evidence of his speedy combinations......and we all know about his KO power.

New England
01-27-2012, 12:05 AM
There are a lot of fighters with dazzling speed and frightening knockout power.

Tommy Hearns and Mike Tyson are the first that jump to mind. Dazzling, speed, combinations and one punch knockout power.

But consider Floyd Patterson, when he actually fought people his size and weight he knocked them unconscious......and nobody had faster hands up at heavyweight than Floyd. As a combination puncher, he is still a marvel.

Gerald McClellan had fast hands and serious knockout power. Prince Naseem Hamed too. Bob Foster had serious speed and power.

Hell, the more I think, the more names jump to mind.

But respect to Meldrick Taylor and Julian Jackson, for speedy combinations and one punch KO power respectively they'd make a great hybrid (with Oliver McCall's chin!!!).

speed, leverage, and strength is power

NChristo
01-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Michael Spinks although he seemed to have many different gears for his punches he could be damn fast when he wanted and the man carried dynamite in both hands.

Miburo
01-27-2012, 01:07 AM
I think you have to sit down on your punches a bit more than Taylor did to get that level of power into them, so no, I would say that level of speed isn't quite attainable while maintaining truly devastating power. The power of most speed-based fighters comes from catching opponents with blind punches. SRR himself said he had very little raw power, but Basilio claimed he hit harder than anyone.

New England
01-27-2012, 01:24 AM
I think you have to sit down on your punches a bit more than Taylor did to get that level of power into them, so no, I would say that level of speed isn't quite attainable while maintaining truly devastating power. The power of most speed-based fighters comes from catching opponents with blind punches. SRR himself said he had very little raw power, but Basilio claimed he hit harder than anyone.

robinson was being modest if he said he wasnt a big puncher

at 160 he was a huge hitter
and at 147 he's one of the hardest punchers ever

the guy could crack with both hands and from all over
he was a gifted puncher.

obviously his craft sets his offense up, but the man could bang

Miburo
01-27-2012, 07:17 AM
robinson was being modest if he said he wasnt a big puncher

at 160 he was a huge hitter
and at 147 he's one of the hardest punchers ever

the guy could crack with both hands and from all over
he was a gifted puncher.

obviously his craft sets his offense up, but the man could bang

I really think most of his power came from blind punches, which we caught opponents with practically every combination. He had a very unique and unorthodox method of unloading his shots that almost ensured at least one would land blind in each exchange, and which hasn't been duplicated since.

SCtrojansbaby
01-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Manny Pacquiao is basically who you are describing

New England
01-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Manny Pacquiao is basically who you are describing

he's one of the best candidates out there

the rough part is the weight

he fights guys too big to spark out today

if they kept him at 140 and 135 and let his body adjust he'd still be stretching guys

BigStereotype
01-27-2012, 12:51 PM
I really think most of his power came from blind punches, which we caught opponents with practically every combination. He had a very unique and unorthodox method of unloading his shots that almost ensured at least one would land blind in each exchange, and which hasn't been duplicated since.

Maybe so, but the man's hands were like boulders. Maybe he didn't think he had that much power, but let's ask Gene Fullmer about that one...that is, if he's woken up yet.

Cloud
01-27-2012, 12:55 PM
First boxer that comes to mind is a young Mike Tyson.

New England
01-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Maybe so, but the man's hands were like boulders. Maybe he didn't think he had that much power, but let's ask Gene Fullmer about that one...that is, if he's woken up yet.

agreed

there are plenty of instances where robinson is simply boring down on an opponent when he has him hurt or overwhelmed

not all of his shots are counterpunches
or hidden

there are plenty of instances where he comes forward, taking a few punches, with no pretense of aspiring to do anything else other than bang on a guy's head and body until he goes down

the guy had huge power

i'm sure some of his shots didnt get noticed by an opponent because of his craft and his speed
but that's not all that was going on
he could flat out bang

BigStereotype
01-27-2012, 01:00 PM
he's one of the best candidates out there

the rough part is the weight

he fights guys too big to spark out today

if they kept him at 140 and 135 and let his body adjust he'd still be stretching guys

I remember one part of the second Morales fight where Erik caught Pac with a solid right then got hit with a left hand flush over the top. It knocked him back like five feet into the ropes and you could see in his eyes that he had never been hit like that.

Then, 'cause he's a badass, he thumped his chest and went back to work. For a knockout of a shot old legend, that was a HELL of a fight.

New England
01-27-2012, 01:32 PM
I remember one part of the second Morales fight where Erik caught Pac with a solid right then got hit with a left hand flush over the top. It knocked him back like five feet into the ropes and you could see in his eyes that he had never been hit like that.

Then, 'cause he's a badass, he thumped his chest and went back to work. For a knockout of a shot old legend, that was a HELL of a fight.

remember the 12th round of the first fight, when morales went toe to toe with manny and turned southpaw when he was clearly ahead on the cards?
just to make it a better scrap, lol!

legend
legend

i'll never get over it.

BigStereotype
01-27-2012, 01:37 PM
remember the 12th round of the first fight, when morales went toe to toe with manny and turned southpaw when he was clearly ahead on the cards?
just to make it a better scrap, lol!

legend
legend

i'll never get over it.

First time I watched that fight, it hurt my self-esteem a little bit because I realized that no matter how hard I tried, I'd never be as "I don't give a ****" cool as him.

Miburo
01-27-2012, 04:15 PM

Fullmer didn't see the punch, it was a blind shot...
That's why it was the only time he was ever knocked out in his life in any capacity.

BigStereotype
01-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Fullmer didn't see the punch, it was a blind shot...
That's why it was the only time he was ever knocked out in his life in any capacity.

Well yeah, any time you knock someone out cold, it's probably a blind shot. But you said it yourself - it was the ONLY time he had ever been knocked out. You think it was the only time he got caught blind? The shot almost took his head off.

The_Demon
01-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Terry Norris is another guy who had a nice blend of speed and power

VIPrice
02-06-2012, 07:03 PM
tyson, hearns, sugar leonard, ray robinson, i always thought jack dempsey was fast and a very hard hitter, pacquiao has to be mentioned, roy jones was fast but i dont think he was a big hitter, i think duran is pretty damn fast and a hard hitter, bob foster, hamed, mcclellan, louis and others mentioned in this thread.

im surprised no one has mentioned valero, if you ask me he has to be a top contender for the 'title.' just look at this video, insane.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XLQlyuXgQ1w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

VIPrice
02-09-2012, 05:02 AM
would the history section agree with my assertion about valero?