View Full Version : Rashad vs Davis

BEDROOM BULLY
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
How do people see this going down i fancy putting some big money down on the fights this weekend was going to go for Sonnen over Bisping but Sonnen is 1/5 or something stupid.. Don't get me wrong he should win comfortably but Bisping isn't a total joke and if he can keep it standing he could maybe win a round or 2

I checked out the odds for Rashad/Evans though and they are much better

Rashad to win is 8/13

Rashad is right about Davis he is a boy in comparison.. i wasn't impressed by davis vs lil nog. Rashad has a lot of excellent wins and has looked fairly impressive of late imo... i just think this fight maybe coming to early for Davis..

Usually when its wrestler vs wrestler it often ends up on who has the better standup.. clearly Rashad. I know Davis on paper is the better wrestler but it hasn't translated as well to mma as Rashad who wasn't very good outside mma in comparison

So how do people see this fight going and do they think its a good bet? also do you think the odds for Sonnen look pretty bad?

Virgil Caine
01-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Evans is much more experienced, more proven, the better all around fighter on paper, and on paper the better standup fighter.

But Davis is a better wrestler and a better athlete, and is unproven (therefore a little bit of a question mark still). I could see Davis winning.

Evans is an obvious favorite, but for my 2 cents Davis wouldn't be the worst underdog bet.

-2 Scrappy-
01-24-2012, 10:34 AM
There is no way in hell bisping can win especially on short notice when he's been preparing for a weak thin grappler and chaels been training for a powerhouse wrestler. Chael will rape bisping and probably finish him.

Rashad should easily beat Davis. How impressive he does it is up to him. Only positive thing I've seen about Davis is he learned some bjj. Evans has never faced a high quality bjj guy besides machida and thiago and both never attempted any. Maybe he could tap him but not likely and he doesnt have the power to hurt rashad. Rashad should just bum rush him from the start.

The maia vs,weidman is very interesting can't believe maia is an underdog. Weidman is getting tapped.

BoxingGenius27
01-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Evans is the better striker by far and is way more explosive in the wrestling dept.

Evans will beat Davis on the ground and standing up. Evans hardest work will come in training camp; his fight with Davis will be easy work.

Virgil Caine
01-24-2012, 11:53 AM
As I said, Davis is a better wrestler.

Evans is certainly not "much more explosive in the wrestling department."

Both are very good wrestlers, but Davis is superior. He was also pretty highly touted in wrestling circles as a guy with promise, but decided to go into MMA.

As I said, Evans is a clear favorite. There's a good chance he will be able to counter Davis' wrestling, as this isn't a wrestling match but an MMA match.

underoath777
01-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Guys, guys. There's really no need for us to discuss this any further, its already been decided here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr8vOu3eAgU

Haha. Seriously though, I could definitely see the fight ending that way. Actually the UFC Undisputed 3 predictions have been pretty spot on so far. Correctly predicted Aldo/Mendes and then correctly predicted Lesnar/Overeem.

BoxingGenius27
01-28-2012, 10:43 AM
As I said, Davis is a better wrestler.

Evans is certainly not "much more explosive in the wrestling department."

Both are very good wrestlers, but Davis is superior. He was also pretty highly touted in wrestling circles as a guy with promise, but decided to go into MMA.

As I said, Evans is a clear favorite. There's a good chance he will be able to counter Davis' wrestling, as this isn't a wrestling match but an MMA match.

Are you talking college wrestling or MMA wrestling?

I hope not college wrestling because MMA is a whole different league.

Davis couldn't even take down lil Nog and you're saying Evans isn't the more explosive wrestler?

Who has Davis fought that's top 10 that would make you say he's the better wrestler than Rashad?

Harry Balls
01-28-2012, 10:52 AM
just bet rashad. I have little reason to think Davis wrestling for mma is good enough to consistently get Rashad on his back. And hes going to need that unless his striking has improved significantly.

I think this will be a standup affair with some td attemps followed by scrambles.

Harry Balls
01-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Are you talking college wrestling or MMA wrestling?

I hope not college wrestling because MMA is a whole different league.

Davis couldn't even take down lil Nog and you're saying Evans isn't the more explosive wrestler?

Who has Davis fought that's top 10 that would make you say he's the better wrestler than Rashad?
Davis is a much better pure wrestler, but thats negated by Rashad being a better fighter.

I don't think Rashad has the offensive wrestling to consistently take Davis down, as i feel Davis pure wrestling abilities will come in handy defensively. But Rashad will not get taken down either because Davis is much worse than him at setting his takedowns up with punches, which is needed in mma vs "elite" wrestlers.

With that said, Rashad hasn't exactly looked stellar against good wrestlers either (in terms of wrestling). I do feel hes going to significantly outclass Davis in the striking though, unless he gets rocked (as is perfectly possible. his chin is subpar).

BoxingGenius27
01-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Davis is a much better pure wrestler, but thats negated by Rashad being a better fighter.

I don't think Rashad has the offensive wrestling to consistently take Davis down, as i feel Davis pure wrestling abilities will come in handy defensively. But Rashad will not get taken down either because Davis is much worse than him at setting his takedowns up with punches, which is needed in mma vs "elite" wrestlers.

With that said, Rashad hasn't exactly looked stellar against good wrestlers either (in terms of wrestling). I do feel hes going to significantly outclass Davis in the striking though, unless he gets rocked (as is perfectly possible. his chin is subpar).

I'll ask you the same question.

Who has Davis beaten that's top 10 to make you think he's a better wrestler in MMA than Rashad?

Davis couldn't even take down lil Nog. Rashad took Rampage down multiple times who has some of the best defense in MMA.

Regarding Rashad's chin.

He's been rocked by top 10 guys yes. It's a fight, people get rocked in fights with the exception of Jon Jones as of late.

Rampage, Machida, Fedor and many others have all been KO'd before but that doesn't mean they have suspect chins. It's a fight, stuff happens. It's about what you do after being hurt that counts.

Back to Phil Davis being the better wrestler. Davis has won 5 bouts in the UFC with only one win coming by stoppage due to submission. He hasn't fought anyone to make you think or confirm that he's a better wrestler than Rashad. Until he does, that's just the way it is.

BoxingGenius27
01-28-2012, 11:05 AM

Before I forget, are we talking MMA or college wrestling?

Punching, submissions, kicks, that are used to set up take downs all go hand and hand with being an MMA wrestler.

If you say Davis is just the better pure wrestler (based their college records) than obviously you're not talking MMA.

Harry Balls
01-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Before I forget, are we talking MMA or college wrestling?

Punching, submissions, kicks, that are used to set up take downs all go hand and hand with being an MMA wrestler.

If you say Davis is just the better pure wrestler (based their college records) than obviously you're not talking MMA.

pure wrestling = wrestling. Not wrestling in mma.

You are right in that there needs to be adjustments made for using the skills in mma, and i account for that. I don't think Davis sets up his shoots good enough for an mma fight.

His defensive wrestling will be very similar to that of a pure wrestling match though. Especially defending explosive takedowns. I think he will stay on his feets due to this (and i don't think rashad will feel it necessary to get it to the ground. hes a much better boxer than davis)

Harry Balls
01-28-2012, 11:15 AM
I'll ask you the same question.

Who has Davis beaten that's top 10 to make you think he's a better wrestler in MMA than Rashad?
I never said hes a better wrestler in mma than Rashad. I think i said the opposite, but i also don't feel Rashad will get him down consistently.

Davis couldn't even take down lil Nog. Rashad took Rampage down multiple times who has some of the best defense in MMA.
I disagree with Rampage having some of the best defensive wrestling (or "defense" if you decide to nitpick). Hes obviously a much better wrestler than Gustafsson, Nogueira or Stann though.

Regarding Rashad's chin.

He's been rocked by top 10 guys yes. It's a fight, people get rocked in fights with the exception of Jon Jones as of late.
Yeah, everyone can get rocked. But just like with other attributes, some is more durable than others. Rashad is on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to taking punches of the top guys in his weight.

Rampage, Machida, Fedor and many others have all been KO'd before but that doesn't mean they have suspect chins. It's a fight, stuff happens. It's about what you do after being hurt that counts.
Sure, but what did Rashad do when getting rocked? You can discount the Machida fight because it's obvious. But how about vs Rampage or Silva?

Back to Phil Davis being the better wrestler. Davis has won 5 bouts in the UFC with only one win coming by stoppage due to submission. He hasn't fought anyone to make you think or confirm that he's a better wrestler than Rashad. Until he does, that's just the way it is.
He could be a better wrestler than rashad, but i don't think so from what we've seen. (in mma)

It's mostly due to his other game lagging behind (striking notably).

I have Rashad as a big favorite in this fight (and would give him the best chance of all 205's to beat jones), seems like you are misinterpreting me.

Big BRICKS
01-28-2012, 11:15 AM
I think Rashad's wrestling is the best in the division. He has a stocky base with good balance. Definitely enough to keep it standing. I think if Davis takes him down it will be from the clinch.

Virgil Caine
01-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Davis is in another class in the wrestling department, but whether he can use that or not in an MMA fight is yet to be seen.

Davis is still pretty untested and this is a huge step up for him. Smart money is on Rashad, but Davis is still a live dog imho, although I don't think he wins this one--but he could. If he does so, it'll be because of his wrestling, but it is yet to be seen how well he can utilize it. In answer to you're question, I would say the jury is still out. We should see soon.

Big BRICKS
01-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Davis is in another class in the wrestling department, but whether he can use that or not in an MMA fight is yet to be seen.

Davis is still pretty untested and this is a huge step up for him. Smart money is on Rashad, but Davis is still a live dog imho, although I don't think he wins this one--but he could. If he does so, it'll be because of his wrestling, but it is yet to be seen how well he can utilize it. In answer to you're question, I would say the jury is still out. We should see soon.

In my eyes Rashad has superior credentials. He hasn't had a fight outside of top 10 in years and most of his wins he has controlled world class opponents with his wrestling. I'm aware of Davis' wrestling credentials, they're insane.. But again they are both paid to win fights now, not wrestle. So I'd give the edge in wrestling credentials to Rashad for sure.

PS: Hey Nodogoshi, I know you're not a betting man, but I'll do a no points bet that if Phil takes Rashad down it would be from some type of trip.

:boxing:

F l i c k e r
01-28-2012, 04:22 PM
As long as Rashad fights smart. He should win. Davis is an awkward guy and when push comes to shove, he will panic take down. So, I hope Rashad stays focused and fights smart.

Rudyo
01-28-2012, 05:13 PM
I think Rashad takes it, but I don't think it'll be the cake walk that some are predicting. It's been a while since Rashad has faced a live opponent, so I think he might have some early problems with Davis' speed and wrestling, but I don't think Davis has the power to get Rashad outta there if he gets him down and I think Rashad takes him out late.

Just another note, I don't understand why Davis gets so much criticism for the Lil Nog fight, he might not have dominated or stopped him but he solidly beat a really solid veteran, with top level standup and a good ground game. Not a bad win for a guy with only a few serious fights under his belt.

BoxingGenius27
01-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Well, Rashad was definitely the better wrestler tonight.

Bacatit
01-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Well, Rashad was definitely the better wrestler tonight.

Yes he was.

HUGEBOXINGFAN
01-29-2012, 12:19 AM
i dont follow mma close at all but these fights bored me to death tonight. sonnen/bisping wasnt that bad though. 1st fight on fox worst thing i have ever seen in my life.

underoath777
01-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Guys, guys. There's really no need for us to discuss this any further, its already been decided here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr8vOu3eAgU

Haha. Seriously though, I could definitely see the fight ending that way. Actually the UFC Undisputed 3 predictions have been pretty spot on so far. Correctly predicted Aldo/Mendes and then correctly predicted Lesnar/Overeem.

Crazy! They predicted 2 more fights correctly... I wonder if Dana is fixing these fights so the undisputed 3 game gets more attention lol. I think they're like 5/6 now on the fight predictions. I'm gonna have to start betting some $ on the next fight they do a prediction for lol.