View Full Version : Melvin Guillard is out of his mind...

kaps
01-21-2012, 08:25 PM
UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard (Pictured) might be built like Superman, but just like his comic book counterpart, his Lex Luthors have quickly discovered his kryptonite. Despite owning the explosive game required to compete with the sport’s elite, Guillard’s biggest weakness has been exposed for the entire universe to see and scrutinize.

When you have 42 professional bouts under your belt, 10 defeats on your record isn’t that big of a deal. However, following his rear-naked choke loss to Jim Miller, nine of Guillard’s defeats have now come by way of submission.

“I don’t regret anything I did [against Miller],” Guillard expressed at the post-fight press conference. “I think I went in and implemented my game. I fought one of the best guys in this division and I think I sent a message to a lot of guys.

“But I also understand now everyone’s going to want to take my back. Two fights in a row, two good guys took my back.”

In his last outing in October, Joe Lauzon forced Guillard to submit to a RNC in merely 47 seconds. It was believed if Guillard would have been able to uphold his 4-to-1 favorite status, he would have been next in line for a shot at the throne.

Despite his latest setback, “The Young Assassin” is still overflowing with confidence.

“At the end of the day, Jim Miller and I both – you guys make sure you get this right – Jim Miller and I are the two best guys in this division,” the 28-year-old expressed. “Guys don’t want to fight us. Guys aren’t lining up to fight Jim and me.

“Be patient with me and I’ll submit someone.”

Okay, but you have posted two straight 1stRound losses in the UFC’s deepest division. So the clock is ticking.

5thround.com (http://www.5thround.com/103765/melvin-guillard-confident-as-ever-following-second-straight-loss/)

kaps
01-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Miller is one of the best, but Guillard doesn't even crack the top ten. How much coke has this dude done?

ƒallenloki
01-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Miller is one of the best, but Guillard doesn't even crack the top ten. How much coke has this dude done?

Enough to get him thinking that's true, :rofl:

F l i c k e r
01-22-2012, 01:08 AM
^^ lol, win.

Guillard is the Zab Judah of MMA. Where's Nates at?

ƒallenloki
01-22-2012, 02:32 AM
^^ lol, win.

Guillard is the Zab Judah of MMA. Where's Nates at?

... at least Zab won a title.

Ring Leader
01-22-2012, 03:07 AM
I like the Zab-Guillard comparison. I dont understand why he was doing flying knees when he could have just sprawled and brawled Miller who was looking for the takedown since he was already hurt ...

ƒallenloki
01-22-2012, 03:46 AM
I like the Zab-Guillard comparison. I dont understand why he was doing flying knees when he could have just sprawled and brawled Miller who was looking for the takedown since he was already hurt ...

NO game plan

Clegg
01-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Even Pat Barry showed a better ground game than him on friday night.

Mohammedini
01-22-2012, 09:58 AM
He is one of those "macho" retards that refuse to train his ground game.
He ahs a excellent wrestling background and Judo experience yet he barely improved his submission defense in over 5 years.

-2 Scrappy-
01-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Melvins definitely top 10 imo can't name 10 better. If the dude could defend basic chokes hed already be champion. Hes a good style match up against everybody since hes hard to get down and your chin must be solid. He's still only 28 but dude needs a good BJJ coach and hed be ridiculously good.

My LW TOP 10

1. EDGAR
2. MELENDEZ
3. BENDO
4. MILLER
5. CHANDLER
6. ALVAREZ(USE TO HAVE HIM TOP 3)
7. MAYNARD
8. DIAZ
9. LAUZON
10. GUILLARD

-2 Scrappy-
01-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Gulliard looked good stop hatin. Nobody has hurt miller that bad. Maynard busted him up but guillard hurt him.

Guillard could have gotten a title if their was 4 of them. Zab has no confidence Melvin is mentally tough still the most explosive powerful lightweight. He just has no JJ. But none of the other top 10 lightweights could beat miller up like that. Atleast give him his due credit that fight was extremely one sided until miller took his back at the end of the round.

kaps
01-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Top 15 LWs

1. Melendez
2. Edgar
3. Bendo
4. Miller
5. Guida
6. Diaz
7. Chandler
8. Alverez
9. Maynard
10. Pettis
11. Aoki
12. Cerrone
13. Masvidal
14. Lauzon
15. Maybe Guillard....

kaps
01-22-2012, 11:29 AM
And if Penn is at LW he bumps everyone from 5 down a notch.

RIZO24
01-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Top 15 LWs

1. Melendez
2. Edgar
3. Bendo
4. Miller
5. Guida
6. Diaz
7. Chandler8. Alverez
9. Maynard
10. Pettis
11. Aoki
12. Cerrone
13. Masvidal
14. Lauzon
15. Maybe Guillard....

He is a beast!!! Hopefully he can sign with the UFC.. Want to see how he looks againts top ten competition.. I mean Alvarez is top ten but IMo he had a bad night and will win in the rematch.. Also Pitbull Freites from Bellator is also very good and IMO should of had the decision win over Chandler in their fight.. He might be someone to look for as a force in the lightweight devision..

F l i c k e r
01-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Top 15 LWs

1. Melendez
2. Edgar
3. Bendo
4. Miller
5. Guida
6. Diaz
7. Chandler
8. Alverez
9. Maynard
10. Pettis
11. Aoki
12. Cerrone
13. Masvidal
14. Lauzon
15. Maybe Guillard....

I like this one a bit more. Was gonna comment on Scrappy's for not having Aoki but around 10-11 is where I would have had him.

Although I think Bendo would beat Melendez but I'm driving the bandwagon. :D

nessa_21
01-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Anyone know where I could watch the Guillard/Lauzon fight? I tried mmalinker but all of the videos were already taken down.

If not, I guess I'll just have to wait for UFC Undisputed 3 to come out so I can re-create the fight myself haha.

MARKBNLV
01-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Gulliard looked good stop hatin. Nobody has hurt miller that bad. Maynard busted him up but guillard hurt him.

Guillard could have gotten a title if their was 4 of them. Zab has no confidence Melvin is mentally tough still the most explosive powerful lightweight. He just has no JJ. But none of the other top 10 lightweights could beat miller up like that. Atleast give him his due credit that fight was extremely one sided until miller took his back at the end of the round.

Do not ever compare him to Judah who was if you forgot THE UNDISPUTED WW CHAMPION OF THE WORLD,this guy is crazy horse with a little more discipline.

MARKBNLV
01-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Top 15 LWs

1. Melendez
2. Edgar
3. Bendo
4. Miller
5. Guida
6. Diaz
7. Chandler
8. Alverez
9. Maynard
10. Pettis
11. Aoki
12. Cerrone
13. Masvidal
14. Lauzon
15. Maybe Guillard....

I like your list but Melendez ahead of Edgar,honestly i have Edgar in my top 3 p4p,Melendez however is a bad boy and i would love to see him and Frankie scrap.

Jack3d
01-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Guillard is still an arrogant fighter. I think he tends to overestimate his athleticism when it comes to avoiding certain things. He can get away without having much defense and he can avoid most takedowns because he's so athletic and quick.

Melvin is more athlete than fighter, people like to talk about GSP being an athlete but he's not even close to Guillard in that respect.

Melvin is just happy being good and you aren't going to make it very far by settling for what you have

Big BRICKS
01-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Top 15 LWs

1. Melendez
2. Edgar
3. Bendo
4. Miller
5. Guida
6. Diaz
7. Chandler
8. Alverez
9. Maynard
10. Pettis
11. Aoki
12. Cerrone
13. Masvidal
14. Lauzon
15. Maybe Guillard....

Chandler vs Guillard to put Guillard's career officially in the casket

http://thesportsfeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/michaelChandler-steelabs.jpg

Harry Balls
01-28-2012, 03:47 PM
guillard is a good striker with very good physical abilities. Hes fast and explosive (aka hes black j/k), but hes severely lacking in both his jits and his wrestling.

I see this as no different than other one dimensional fighters who can look flashy at times, but never climb to the absolute elite level.