View Full Version : Should the UFC have random blood testing year round?

Ring Leader
01-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Should the UFC randomly pick different fighters to blood test randomly year round to help prevent fighters who are on "cycles"? I dont mean randomly test EVERY fighter but choose a handful of fighters to test throughout the year. For the integrity of the sport they should do more testing to prevent cycles and cheating around inferior testing.

Personally I think they should but Dana White seems strongly against more testing which IMO could either mean

A: UFC brass are penny pinching every penny from the sport

or

B: Know some of their fighters juice but dont want a blackeye on their organization and the sport they are cashing in on

kaps
01-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Why just UFC fighters? All pro athletes from every sport should be subjected to Random PED testing....

Ring Leader
01-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Why just UFC fighters? All pro athletes from every sport should be subjected to Random PED testing....

Specifically I am just asking about UFC contracted fighters because Dana White appears greatly opposed to more testing that could catch cheaters. I do think random tests should happen year round like the MLB.

I asked about the UFC because this is the MMA section and the top organization in MMA is the UFC. Just like if this was a baseball section I would have asked whether people think MLB contracted baseball players should be tested year round. This is not the ALL SPORT Section...........

ƒallenloki
01-19-2012, 09:55 PM
If the UFC wants to take a serious stance against performance enhancing drugs, they should. Otherwise, they're only abiding by athletic commission's minimum standards. Athletic commissions are government agencies which are inefficient and under-funded. There should be serious fines and serious suspensions.

This is the hurt sport. If a guy on PED's kills someone in the octagon, the **** is going to hit the fan bad. An underlying issue is that these substances are all illegal. What kind of message does it send to the general public that an organization is okay with their fighters using controlled substances.

kaps
01-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Also, I'm a huge Dana critic but didn't he just announce that all fighters who start a contract with UFC are subject to pre employment testing?

F l i c k e r
01-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Dunno but the UFC would have the ability to make all fighters take random testing. UFC does pretty good with finding the dopers though. I know they don't issue the tests themselves but just about every fighter you would have doubts about in the UFC has been caught. Outside of gsp. :lol1:

Sherk, Chael, Franca, duckface (forget his name). Can't think of all the other people. :dunno:

Ring Leader
01-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Also, I'm a huge Dana critic but didn't he just announce that all fighters who start a contract with UFC are subject to pre employment testing?

Think about that critically, only fighters who are JUST ENTERING the UFC will get screened with these tests.

Fighters already contracted don't have to go through more reliable testing which leaves flaws in the system.

kaps
01-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Think about that critically, only fighters who are JUST ENTERING the UFC will get screened with these tests.

Fighters already contracted don't have to go through more reliable testing which leaves flaws in the system.

I didn't say it was perfect, but it appears he's making steps in the right direction.

ƒallenloki
01-20-2012, 12:04 AM
I didn't say it was perfect, but it appears he's making steps in the right direction.

Definitely a step.

What do you guys think of this idea:

All fighters who are scheduled to fight should be subjected to WADA style testing.

For example: Fighter A and Fighter B agree to fight. Prior to the fight being contracted, fighters test. Then are subjected to testing during camp and post fight.

chiguy91
01-20-2012, 01:49 AM
Definitely a step.

All fighters who are scheduled to fight should be subjected to WADA style testing.

For example: Fighter A and Fighter B agree to fight. Prior to the fight being contracted, fighters test. Then are subjected to testing during camp and post fight.

sounds like a great idea. is wada the volunteer one that ortiz/berto are using? or is that another one? cause from what i remember reading, it costs a lot to have random blood testing year round. either way, it's a good idea.

Clegg
01-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Very much in favour of the idea.

G A M E
01-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Definitely a step.

could work, might have the odd 'injury' and postponement etc. lol

Ring Leader
01-20-2012, 03:14 PM
IMO I think some fighters claim injuries when they find out they will test positive but that is just my opinion. To decrease the fallacies in their system the UFC could implenment random tests to random fighters just like how the MLB does and picks random players to select for testing.

ƒallenloki
01-20-2012, 03:52 PM
sounds like a great idea. is wada the volunteer one that ortiz/berto are using? or is that another one? cause from what i remember reading, it costs a lot to have random blood testing year round. either way, it's a good idea.

I'm not a pro with the anti-PED organizations, I just know they have the strictest guidelines.

ƒallenloki
01-20-2012, 03:53 PM
could work, might have the odd 'injury' and postponement etc. lol

lmao.

People would be getting popped left and right.

But think about it: If testing positive will legitimately ruin your career and you know that you will get tested... will you continue to use?

RIZO24
01-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Of course its a good idea, but i dont know if it is in the best interest of the UFC. If they do and too manyfightes start getting caught, the sport could be ruined look at what happened to baseball. I doubt it will happen, there are too many special iterests involved that are making a ton of money off MMA right now..It would be good for the safety of the fighters but bad for business!!

Jack3d
01-20-2012, 07:06 PM
No.

First of all it won't happen because the UFC would have to pay out of pocket for these year round tests, and they won't do that.

Secondly it won't happen because every sport is filled with roided up athletes. These athletes provide excitement and entertainment for fans, and that leads to increased revenue for the organization.

And nobody in their right mind wants to lose money. Dana and all these blowhards say they want it out of their sport and they'll claim they are playing ball and protecting the athletes by implementing new procedures to give people the idea they are trying to clean up their image....but it's all hot air.

Steroids will always be a part of sports. They will never go away. I could care less juice all you want, as long as I'm entertained I could care less what you do with your body.

And as far as the owner and presidents of these sports organizations they don't really care either. As long as their sport is generating revenue, they could care less. That's why the NFL is continually avoiding implementing stricter testing. They know guys are using and if they get popped, especially if it's a star player, they will lose money.