View Full Version : Wilfredo Gomez vs Joan Guzman @122

DBSLM
01-16-2012, 10:40 PM
I know Gomez was the more accomplished fighter, but I honestly believe Guzman would be to slick and quick for Gomez

allupnem
01-16-2012, 11:07 PM
LOL Please Gomez never lost a fight at 122 lbs. Hell no fighter went the distance during his title reign. He crushed Carlos Zarate and stopped Lupe Pintor. Guzman gets stopped like all the rest

Boxing Bob
01-17-2012, 12:16 AM
you're dreaming, Gomez is in another league

tenPt
01-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Gomez scores another ko!

DBSLM
01-17-2012, 01:10 AM
I dont think so man I know Gomez is a big puncher he had the heart of a lion but I believe Joan would be too fast too good defensively and superior footwork. Guzman could also take a punch

The Surgeon
01-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Gomez is the pick for me, he was something special at 122 he really was

However im not gonna laugh off the notion Guzman could have beaten him. I HATE Joan Guzman and thats only because i rated him so highly yet he WASTED his career, this is a guy who could have been champion probably unified in every division from 122 to 140 and a p4p elite....

He was at his best in the lower weights such as 122 where he was packing serious power to complement his speed and slick skills, VERY talented fighter

But Gomez was all fighter, Barring his debut fight (a draw) he stopped every man he ever faced at that weight and some of them were exceptional fighters too...

I think Gomez gets to him late one way or another but its a shame Guzman has wasted & ruined his career to the point people laugh at the very thought that he'd beat a Gomez

pochy51
01-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Gomez was an incredibly strong fighter, but also one-dimensional style. On the other hand, Guzman had a devastating power at that weight, complete with his blazing speed (defensive and offensive) and a great intelligence in the ring clearly superior to Gomez. Honestly I respect a lot of these fighters, so they were at that weight (122), so I would not venture to select a winner.

New England
01-17-2012, 09:04 PM
this is coming from a guy who thinks guzman was a genuine talent who could have been one of the greats:

there are classes of fighters. gomez is on a different level.

at 122 he had it all going for him. guys could not finish a fight with him

he had to fight a bonafide great at FW to take a loss

salvador sanchez might be the best featherweight i've ever seen in terms of his skills and the physical tools he brought to the game.
serious snap on his punches. unbelievable accuracy. fluidity and speed, great footwork. he had it all

it took a fighter of that caliber (and size, if sanchez had lived long enough he would have likely fought as a LW and beyond) to take gomez down for the first time.

DBSLM
01-18-2012, 10:13 PM
As far as my opinion on Joan Guzman's Guzman career. I feel he was avoided like a Pleague from 122-130. I think Guzman wouldve given Salvador Sanchez hell as well, lets not forget he had trouble with guys like Ruben Castillo & Pat Cowdell

pochy51
01-18-2012, 10:48 PM
this is coming from a guy who thinks guzman was a genuine talent who could have been one of the greats:

there are classes of fighters. gomez is on a different level.

at 122 he had it all going for him. guys could not finish a fight with him

he had to fight a bonafide great at FW to take a loss

salvador sanchez might be the best featherweight i've ever seen in terms of his skills and the physical tools he brought to the game.
serious snap on his punches. unbelievable accuracy. fluidity and speed, great footwork. he had it all

it took a fighter of that caliber (and size, if sanchez had lived long enough he would have likely fought as a LW and beyond) to take gomez down for the first time.

In his fight against Gomez, Salvador Sanchez used his advantage in height and reach, in addition to his boxing skills. Gomez was very small with short arms for Sanchez. Guzman has the same physical that was Salvador Sanchez and we know how fast and strong was his shot at that weight. I think Gomez just won that fight by KO, but Guzman could have won by either of two ways.

Jury
01-21-2012, 04:53 AM
No opponent on Guzman's resume at 122 gives me any reason he could survive against Gomez.