View Full Version : IDIOT Lorenzo Fertitta on Fighter Pay

monaroCountry
01-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Fertitta is a dumb cunt. ESPN made those billions through other shows that they paid huge amounts of money to make and host.

That ESPN fighting show does not constitute the whole damn ESPN company and does not make 100% of their revenue (profit might only be less than a million while paying out 50%). Whereas MMA is the whole of the UFC and MMA is where UFC makes 100% of their whole revenue. The main problem is that the UFC is only putting in 5-10% to the fighter, who like their boxing counterparts should be paid more.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fbbs5nKXliU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big BRICKS
01-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Seemed like a pretty valid point. Nobody should walk away with a few hundred dollars for putting their body on the line.

- v e t -
01-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Seemed like a pretty valid point. Nobody should walk away with a few hundred dollars for putting their body on the line.

no one is making them

monaroCountry
01-16-2012, 01:54 AM
no one is making them

Actually they are, Zuffa is limiting fighter employment through their monopoly antics.

Zuffa has been buying out and cutting the legs from other promotions e.g. putting on shows at the same time, and limiting fighter choices of promotions.

If Zuffa cant topple a promotion (i.e. M-1 Global) then they discredit the fighter or ban all fighters contracted to that promotion as the case with Golden Glory.

Zuffa is now playing with the big boys, Zuffa bush league antics wont work with a powerful company like ESPN who wont be bullied by these mafia scums.

RajahBell
01-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Lorenzo Fertitta has a point. ESPN has a responsibility to fairly compensate the fighters who fight on THEIR show. "ESPN Friday Night Fights" implies that ESPN is co-promoting their own fights. Showtime, HBO, and ESPN probably own the tape of the shows they produce.

Clearly you cannot fault the network for athlete's pay when showing the NFL on FOX, or NBA on ABC. This implies that they are showing "secondary" programming owned by others, "with the express permission of the NBA."

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/thumb/7/74/FNF.gif/200px-FNF.gif

vs

http://mmafrenzy.com/files/2012/01/UFC-on-Fox-250x250.jpg

monaroCountry
01-16-2012, 03:03 AM
Lorenzo Fertitta has a point. ESPN has a responsibility to fairly compensate the fighters who fight on THEIR show. "ESPN Friday Night Fights" implies that ESPN is co-promoting their own fights. Showtime, HBO, and ESPN probably own the tape of the shows they produce.

Clearly you cannot fault the network for athlete's pay when showing the NFL on FOX, or NBA on ABC. This implies that they are showing "secondary" programming owned by others, "with the express permission of the NBA."

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/thumb/7/74/FNF.gif/200px-FNF.gif

vs

http://mmafrenzy.com/files/2012/01/UFC-on-Fox-250x250.jpg

Boxing FNF for ESPN is a bit sport that doesnt get them too much money. ESPN spends BILLIONS of dollars for broadcast rights for various other sports including NFL. BILLIONS.

WARQUEZ
01-16-2012, 03:37 AM
He's using the good guy sympathy role to get across his point. It's a very smart tactic that alot of people will fall for.

It's like saying "Sure we pay $2.50 an hour but look at these kids in China making 60 cents! That's outrageous! $2.50 compared to that doesn't sound so bad now does it?"

The Fertittas' created a near perfect business model. With the president being the ultimate American good guy. :lol1:

Lorenzo is far from an idiot, the guy is a genius.

shadeyfizzle
01-16-2012, 04:05 AM
They do have a monopoly that they rule with an iron fist but in what other combat sport offers undercard fighters noone has ever heard of the opportunity to make as much if not more than the main eventers through their incentive bonuses???

And what other combat sport compensates fighters for medical expensed for any injuries sustained in a fight and in training camp??? This may not seem like a big deal for star boxers who make exponentially more than mma fighters but for unknowns and hopefuls that fight on boxeo azteca and friday night fights...offerings the ufc has could be life changing.

Guys like randall bailey could have made as much as an extra 120,000 dollars on top of their purse. Even if he never won another fight or even if he never fought again it would be a nice nest egg to fall back on to never have to work a normal 9 to 5 after boxing.

monaroCountry
01-16-2012, 06:30 AM
They do have a monopoly that they rule with an iron fist but in what other combat sport offers undercard fighters noone has ever heard of the opportunity to make as much if not more than the main eventers through their incentive bonuses???

And what other combat sport compensates fighters for medical expensed for any injuries sustained in a fight and in training camp??? This may not seem like a big deal for star boxers who make exponentially more than mma fighters but for unknowns and hopefuls that fight on boxeo azteca and friday night fights...offerings the ufc has could be life changing.

Guys like randall bailey could have made as much as an extra 120,000 dollars on top of their purse. Even if he never won another fight or even if he never fought again it would be a nice nest egg to fall back on to never have to work a normal 9 to 5 after boxing.

Comparing Shane Carwin who held the UFC HW belt and only receiving $40k, name me another boxer who holds a belt and is willing to fight for a measly $40k.

The top 10 in boxing gets paid many times more than the top 10 in MMA. The top 100 in boxing gets many times more than the top 100 in MMA.

Those ESPN FNF are basically not even top anything in the world ATM, unlike those who supposedly fight in the UFC. Also the budget for ESPN to host everything is 3 million for the whole year. FNF is a very low budget and is low level, its designed to give guys a go. My bet is that the pay % for FNF is far higher than the slave labor pay that the UFC awards its fighters.

monaroCountry
01-16-2012, 06:33 AM
?

Basically most of them. Its not uncommon around the world and even with different sports. The promoter/manager insures their fighters for all these things and takes a small cut. Its just that the UFC takes a HUGE HUGE HUGE cut, like the stealing, shady scums they are.

shadeyfizzle
01-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Comparing Shane Carwin who held the UFC HW belt and only receiving $40k, name me another boxer who holds a belt and is willing to fight for a measly $40k.

The top 10 in boxing gets paid many times more than the top 10 in MMA. The top 100 in boxing gets many times more than the top 100 in MMA.

Those ESPN FNF are basically not even top anything in the world ATM, unlike those who supposedly fight in the UFC. Also the budget for ESPN to host everything is 3 million for the whole year. FNF is a very low budget and is low level, its designed to give guys a go. My bet is that the pay % for FNF is far higher than the slave labor pay that the UFC awards its fighters.
Im not looking or arguing about the "top" fighters. As I said its a no brainer star boxers get paid exponentially more than star mma fighters. What im looking at is the opposite end of the spectrum. The nobodies.

Nam phan for example isnt top anything. He didnt win his season of tuf, isnt a contender, will never be a contender, wont ever be a contender in any other organization. Only reason he's in the ufc is because he's entertaining. And twice he's gotten fight of the night and earned 240,000dollars on top of his measly slave wage purse. Even if nam phan was to quit fighting today he has big money to fall back on and start a business or wjat not and live comfortably. There is no boxing equivalent to this kind of opportunity the ufc provides to unknown fighters.

In boxing you have guys like pitalua and monshapour who have given massively entertaining fights, have been awarded knockout and fight of the year by ring magazine. Yet have not and may not ever make as much as nam phan has made in 2 fights in the ufc because they are virtual unknowns excepy to the most hardcore of boxing fans.

shadeyfizzle
01-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Basically most of them. Its not uncommon around the world and even with different sports. The promoter/manager insures their fighters for all these things and takes a small cut. Its just that the UFC takes a HUGE HUGE HUGE cut, like the stealing, shady scums they are.

Not quite. If you take a guy like kelly pavlik who twice pulled out of scheduled fights because of supposed staph infections and alcoholism problems, top rank isnt paying for his expenses or rehab and he's not getting paid until he gets back in the ring.

Not a big deal for pavlik cuz he has star boxer money so he's a millionaire. But for a starving nobody undercard fighter being in the same situation could derail his whole careeer. Who's gonna pay his rent thats overdue because its going to medical expenses. hows he gonna eat with no money if he cant fight again for another 6 months??

Once again im not defending zuffa's greediness but people are so quick to compare th wages to boxing and overlook the things they do for their unknown fighters that give them the same opportunities as star fighters which simply doesnt happen in boxing.

RajahBell
01-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Boxing FNF for ESPN is a bit sport that doesnt get them too much money. ESPN spends BILLIONS of dollars for broadcast rights for various other sports including NFL. BILLIONS.

"Corporate Social Responsibility". It doesn't matter that boxing is a small part of their budget, ESPN is still a stakeholder in boxing. They are just as guilty as the promoter who paid the guy $200 for a fight on ESPN's show. They pay the promoters to put on the show but it is still ESPN boxing. They have "the power of the purse" and can demand better pay for the fighters involved. All they have to do is demand a mandatory pay scale like the UFC and refuse to do business with promoters that exploit fighters.

SkillspayBills
01-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Im not looking or arguing about the "top" fighters. As I said its a no brainer star boxers get paid exponentially more than star mma fighters. What im looking at is the opposite end of the spectrum. The nobodies.

Nam phan for example isnt top anything. He didnt win his season of tuf, isnt a contender, will never be a contender, wont ever be a contender in any other organization. Only reason he's in the ufc is because he's entertaining. And twice he's gotten fight of the night and earned 240,000dollars on top of his measly slave wage purse. Even if nam phan was to quit fighting today he has big money to fall back on and start a business or wjat not and live comfortably. There is no boxing equivalent to this kind of opportunity the ufc provides to unknown fighters.

In boxing you have guys like pitalua and monshapour who have given massively entertaining fights, have been awarded knockout and fight of the year by ring magazine. Yet have not and may not ever make as much as nam phan has made in 2 fights in the ufc because they are virtual unknowns excepy to the most hardcore of boxing fans.

You actually make a damn good point. I would only play devil's advocate by asking you to name some more examples because there is plenty of fighters who have never gotten fight of the night and/or KO/Submission of the night and aren't as "fortunate" as Nam is.

shadeyfizzle
01-16-2012, 11:50 PM
You actually make a damn good point. I would only play devil's advocate by asking you to name some more examples because there is plenty of fighters who have never gotten fight of the night and/or KO/Submission of the night and aren't as "fortunate" as Nam is.

Off the top of my head?? Pat barry. But that's beside the point. The point is the incentive and opportunity is there for undercard fighters to make as much if not more than main eveventers in the ufc for being entertaining which is just not there in boxing.

F l i c k e r
01-17-2012, 01:28 AM
I don't care. I'm not getting a percentage of the money these fighters earn. So, why should I care? I'm not a fighter (although, I do reserve the right to compete with my martial arts in the future) but I'm not fighting for Zuffa, so why should I care what they get paid or don't get paid.

All I know is. If you can't live on 5k for a month. You are clearly living outside of your means. In the case of Nick Diaz who can't find time to buy a house in a good neighborhood when he is making six figures. You are clearly doing something wrong. :lol1:

monaroCountry
01-17-2012, 04:25 AM
"Corporate Social Responsibility". It doesn't matter that boxing is a small part of their budget, ESPN is still a stakeholder in boxing. They are just as guilty as the promoter who paid the guy $200 for a fight on ESPN's show. They pay the promoters to put on the show but it is still ESPN boxing. They have "the power of the purse" and can demand better pay for the fighters involved. All they have to do is demand a mandatory pay scale like the UFC and refuse to do business with promoters that exploit fighters.

What are you talking about? the budget for that is tiny and the profit equally tiny. The pay is in scale to what the show brings in.

The UFC on the other hand gets huge amounts from it and does not pass it on to the fighters.

Boxing also has the Ali act that can apply, fighters would know exactly what they should be getting and how much cut of the pie they are getting, UNLIKE THE UFC.

Virgil Caine
01-17-2012, 09:47 AM

Just a couple of points.

1. They do not "compensate" fighters for medical expenses and injuries sustained in a fight and in training camp.

Doing so, would make them an insurance company.

Instead, they have contracted with insurance companies to provide insurance for medical care in the case of injuries in training and fights.

Is it positive? Yes it is.

But it is not really out of the kindness of Zuffa's heart, or anything. When you make money off of guys being in a condition fit enough to fight on your cards, you sort of have a vested interest in them being healthy enough to appear.

It isn't a health insurance policy or anything (i.e. an employment benefit, you know, the type which they may be able to use for things like illness, or by which their family members may receive coverage). Not that they are employees, they are contractors. Also, I doubt that this sort of arrangement is unique, I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the NFL has insurance for injuries, and they have many more injuries than MMA fighting produces.

And, tell Randal Baily to open up a negotiation with his promoter for a knockout bonus.

Really a pretty dumb comment though. Yeah, I understand that Randal Baily is a knockout artist. But do you really see anything realistic about what you said there? Are you suggesting you would like to see 60k knockout bonuses on every 4 fight PPV boxing card from now on? I would personally prefer they just give each of the 8 guys an extra $8,500 and leave the gimmicks stuff out.

Virgil Caine
01-17-2012, 09:50 AM

The only way that anybody making a few hundred dollars has ever gotten on the air on Friday Night Fights (and it's doubtful that anyone ever has) is if everyone on the night got knocked out in one round, and they had to bring in the janitor to fight the concession stand manager to fill up airtime.

Virgil Caine
01-17-2012, 09:53 AM

Try removing $200,000 from your figure, and you may be on to something (i.e., $40,000 for fight of the night)

Virgil Caine
01-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Not quite. If you take a guy like kelly pavlik who twice pulled out of scheduled fights because of supposed staph infections and alcoholism problems, top rank isnt paying for his expenses or rehab and he's not getting paid until he gets back in the ring.

Not a big deal for pavlik cuz he has star boxer money so he's a millionaire. But for a starving nobody undercard fighter being in the same situation could derail his whole careeer. Who's gonna pay his rent thats overdue because its going to medical expenses. hows he gonna eat with no money if he cant fight again for another 6 months??

Once again im not defending zuffa's greediness but people are so quick to compare th wages to boxing and overlook the things they do for their unknown fighters that give them the same opportunities as star fighters which simply doesnt happen in boxing.

The Zuffa insurance plan wouldn't necessarily cover these things either (it may be, if they could convince the insurance company that the staff was coverable on the training injury policy, which, who knows).

Do you not think that boxing promoters will go out of their way to try and make a boxer who is a hot commodity healthy? If Pavlik was a UFC fighter, he would have been kicked to the curb, without question. And then Dana White would've made a vlog about it.

Virgil Caine
01-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Yeah, because Lorenzo Fertitta said a guy got paid $200, it happened, right.

I seriously doubt any thing like that ever happened. The Friday Night Fights boxer who earned $200 is like Joe the Plumber. He doesn't exist, he is merely a political ploy.

But, ESPN broadcasts fights. They have nothing to do with what the fighters earn. They pay a fee to promoters, who are putting on shows, in many cases with or without ESPN, and therefore have a right to televise. They have nothing whatsoever to do with pay negotiations, and have no involvement with what promoters pay fighters who appear on these cards.

Zuffa, on the other hand, handles all of these aspects.

Virgil Caine
01-17-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't care. I'm not getting a percentage of the money these fighters earn. So, why should I care? I'm not a fighter (although, I do reserve the right to compete with my martial arts in the future) but I'm not fighting for Zuffa, so why should I care what they get paid or don't get paid.

All I know is. If you can't live on 5k for a month. You are clearly living outside of your means. In the case of Nick Diaz who can't find time to buy a house in a good neighborhood when he is making six figures. You are clearly doing something wrong. :lol1:

FYI, posting on MMA forums is not a recognized marital art.

Virgil Caine
01-17-2012, 10:08 AM
The Zuffa insurance plan wouldn't necessarily cover these things either (it may be, if they could convince the insurance company that the staff was coverable on the training injury policy, which, who knows).

Do you not think that boxing promoters will go out of their way to try and make a boxer who is a hot commodity healthy? If Pavlik was a UFC fighter, he would have been kicked to the curb, without question. And then Dana White would've made a vlog about it.

And I forgot to mention, in case you haven't seen the recent coverage, Top Rank sent Pavlik to California to be with a new trainer, set him up with a place to live, and is presumably paying for his living expenses there (which is quite typical in boxing), and is giving him another chance.

Cuauhtémoc1520
01-17-2012, 10:24 AM
This is a double edges sword.

In the UFC, you have a ruling position in Dana White who promotes and makes the best fights available for the MMA public. When you buy a UFC card, you get maximum for your money. You will get 10-12 really good fights with big names on them.

When you shell out $60 for a boxing card, you get maybe 2 good fights and a total of maybe 5 fights if you are lucky.

The reason that boxers make so much more money than MMA fighters is because of the promotional system in boxing. You have promoters who insure the most money for the boxer, where as in MMA, you have Dana White calling the shots for both sides.

The positive for boxers is that they get paid more but great fights are rarely made (i.e Mayweather vs Pac)

The positive for MMA fans is they get great cards but the fighters are underpaid when compared to boxers.

So I don't think anything will change.

Virgil Caine
01-17-2012, 10:49 AM
This is a double edges sword.

In the UFC, you have a ruling position in Dana White who promotes and makes the best fights available for the MMA public. When you buy a UFC card, you get maximum for your money. You will get 10-12 really good fights with big names on them.

When you shell out $60 for a boxing card, you get maybe 2 good fights and a total of maybe 5 fights if you are lucky.

The reason that boxers make so much more money than MMA fighters is because of the promotional system in boxing. You have promoters who insure the most money for the boxer, where as in MMA, you have Dana White calling the shots for both sides.

The positive for boxers is that they get paid more but great fights are rarely made (i.e Mayweather vs Pac)

The positive for MMA fans is they get great cards but the fighters are underpaid when compared to boxers.

So I don't think anything will change.
The biggest MMA equivalent to Manny-Mayweather was Fedor Emelianenko-Randy Couture.

The fight never happened.

It was the Zuffa attorneys which made sure of that.

Cuauhtémoc1520
01-17-2012, 11:27 AM
The biggest MMA equivalent to Manny-Mayweather was Fedor Emelianenko-Randy Couture.

The fight never happened.

It was the Zuffa attorneys which made sure of that.

I disagree, from everything I have read from both sides, Emelianenko was unrealistic in his demands for the UFC and the UFC didn't NEED him.

Virgil Caine
01-17-2012, 11:54 AM
I disagree, from everything I have read from both sides, Emelianenko was unrealistic in his demands for the UFC and the UFC didn't NEED him.
It had nothing to do with the UFC.

The Fedor going to the UFC situation is an entirely other can of worms.

I am not going to go into it much, other than to say that everything you have read is wrong. According to Fedor: "they offered us a contract which we could not possibly accept."

What you have read is pure spin.

Irregardless of whatever contract details,which were very shady, and aimed to cut out M-1--Fedor's management organization, in which he owns a significant stake himself.

But, we can talk about that later.

What I am referring to is a specific incidents in which Randy Couture announced his intention to relinquish his belt, and resign from the UFC because "the only meaningful fight left in [his] career is a fight with Fedor."

This fight was to take place outside of the UFC.

Couture even sat out the remaining length of his contract to make this happen.

However, Zuffa's lawyers evoked the so-called "champions clause" to argue that Couture cannot shake free of his contract while he is still a holder of the UFC's trinket of a HW belt.

In the end, the Zuffa lawyers effectively bogged down the court proceedings for over a year. In the end, they achieved a settlement, which landed Couture back in the UFC with a new contract, and had him fight **** Chestner in his first fight back, after a year and a half layoff, for his "title" (which he had relinquished, but Zuffa's entire argument was that he had no right to do so). Long story short, Brock KO'd a much smaller and much older man in Couture, while being soundly outworked, to become the 'baddest man on the planet'-Blow Rogaine. **** Chester was then thoroughly pummeled by Shane Carwin, who nearly died of a heart attack as a result of his punch output/steroid induced poor cardio. This performance landed Carwin a #2 spot in the MMA rankings, while **** Chester remained the baddest man on the planet. Chester was than thoroughly embarrassed by Cain Velasquez, who was than KO'd in under a minute on the Fox debacle, which saw a 30 minute prime time promotional hypejob set up a 1 minute fight, followed by Dana White melting down on national television and basically calling his new champ, Junior Dos Santos, a bum with no conditioning who can't fight 3 full rounds.

Nevertheless, now Santos is the new anointed one (hell, you have people on this very forum calling him things like "the greatest combat sports athlete I've ever seen" or some **** like that, based on nothing but a powerful right hand, which is thrown with mediocre technique, and pretty good timing.

That is a brief history for you. But I guess you just had to be there.

Cuauhtémoc1520
01-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Well obviously you know more than me so I will take your word for it.

Sounds interesting to me, either way I like the system that the UFC has and don't like the direction boxing has gone.

Of course the fighters would argue that of course.

MARKBNLV
01-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Actually they are, Zuffa is limiting fighter employment through their monopoly antics.

Zuffa has been buying out and cutting the legs from other promotions e.g. putting on shows at the same time, and limiting fighter choices of promotions.

If Zuffa cant topple a promotion (i.e. M-1 Global) then they discredit the fighter or ban all fighters contracted to that promotion as the case with Golden Glory.

Zuffa is now playing with the big boys, Zuffa bush league antics wont work with a powerful company like ESPN who wont be bullied by these mafia scums.

Its call a Capitalistic society if the fighters dont like it get another job,i hated the fact that i was making only 15 hr to frame houses so i said fck this and got another job,what makes the fighters so special they are just employees like me.

TheGreatA
01-17-2012, 02:48 PM
UFC is pretty much the highest league in MMA. The fighters who fight there have usually proven their skills and fought through the easier opposition that the smaller organizations can offer. Most of them deserve to get paid more than what barely makes up for their training fees.

ESPN Friday Night Fights probably doesn't make much money for ESPN at all (and as pointed out isn't directly responsible for paying the boxers) and the boxers who got paid as little as 400$ were likely professional losers that aren't displayed on the UFC cards. They don't deserve to earn a whole lot more than that.

People like this would be their MMA equivalents:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Kenneth-Allen-13050

Truthfully there's no way the UFC would pay more than a couple of hundred to a person who makes a living out of losing, barely puts up a fight and takes the fight on short notice without barely training.