Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strength or weight training to prevent injuries?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strength or weight training to prevent injuries?

Someone posted a thread recently about a shoulder injury while sparring. My own left shoulder has been getting a little aggravated the past couple weeks after a few rounds of jab-heavy bag work. (It's fine once I stop, but still a little worrisome.)

So.. I am wondering if it is a good idea to incorporate some specific strength training exercises to build up support around areas that are more prone to injury in boxing, e.g. the shoulders and wrists.

Any opinions from the seasoned boxers here? Is it worth dedicating some time to this, or should all the necessary development happen in the course of a regular boxing workout, given adequate time and proper technique?

Uh ya but I would take a break. Let it rest. Let it heal. Then do a little resistance. Then go back to boxing. Then do both.

If you start doing both now, while it's hurting-- I can't see the logic in that.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
      Uh ya but I would take a break. Let it rest. Let it heal. Then do a little resistance. Then go back to boxing. Then do both.

If you start doing both now, while it's hurting-- I can't see the logic in that.
      this. rest is vital. then start small and with rotator cuff exercises. also, see if you can find the problem. your scapula is probably imbalanced or something. if you dont find and fix what caused it it will keep happening

Comment

Working...
      X