View Full Version : Looking back at; Hilario Zapata

NChristo
01-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Hilario Zapata was a boxer from Panama who fought in the Light Flyweight division, a very over looked boxer especially defense wise, I don't feel he gets his just dues, in that department he belongs up there with Miguel Lora, Wilfredo Benitez, Pernell Whitaker etc, fought very good competition through out his entire career, beginning with former word champion Guzman in only his 5th fight, his most notable opponents were Fidel Bassa and Jung-koo Chang, German Torres and Sung Kil-Moon whom he lost too in his final bout.
Only wish we could of seen him fight Yoko Gushiken.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SPkh4t1XU30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thoughts on Hilario ?.

allupnem
01-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Zapata was a good fighter but very limited on the offense side. I believe Gushiken would have rolled over him in 6 or 7 rounds. Zapata couldnt have kept Gushiken off of him.

NChristo
01-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Zapata was a good fighter but very limited on the offense side. I believe Gushiken would have rolled over him in 6 or 7 rounds. Zapata couldnt have kept Gushiken off of him.

Yah I agree Gushiken would of beat him prime for prime, what a fight it would of been though, Gushiken's amazing offense vs Zapata's defense.
By the time Zapata became a figure Gushiken was just beaten and retired though unfortunately :/.

allupnem
01-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Zapata's fights are hard to watch though his fight with Joey Olivo was mind numbing. I watched it the other night and it damn near put me to sleep whereas all of Gushiken's fights that ihave are great to watch

NChristo
01-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Zapata's fights are hard to watch though his fight with Joey Olivo was mind numbing. I watched it the other night and it damn near put me to sleep whereas all of Gushiken's fights that ihave are great to watch

Being exciting doesn't exactly take away from talent / skill though and for me personally it doesn't take away from the viewing at all, for example I really enjoy watching Carlos Monzon fight, more so then most, I don't watch him because he's exciting, he's not, I watch him for the skill and too just learn / admire what they do.

Gushiken was an animal but I don't think he'd exactly roll over Zapata, I'd favor him via decision though with him winning early - mid rounds but with Zapata winning the late rounds but not doing enough too make up for the ones he lost.