View Full Version : 5 Fighters You Believe Are Stinking Up the Sport!

ƒallenloki
01-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Who do you think are fighters who are absolutely boring and give MMA a bad name?

shadeyfizzle
01-12-2012, 02:03 AM
For me boring and giving mma a bad name are 2 completely different things. Some guys' fighting style are just really ugly to look at but doesnt take away from how good a fighter is or how effective they are. keith jardine is a prime example. looks like he's having seizures rather than fighting but he's fought and beaten some of the best.

To me giving mma a bad name is what they do outside of the ring and how they represent themselves as professionals. Guys like Benji Radach, Tim Sylvia, and Chris Leben have been infamous for using their status to instigate drunken bar fights and harass locals. That's giving the sport a bad name.

Clegg
01-12-2012, 04:17 AM
Dana White. He counts as a fighter after such an epic boxercise career.

John Barnett and other drug users, but him in particular.

Brock and GSP are bad for the sport in some ways but obviously Brock brought in fans which helps the sport and GSP is a great fighter and big draw.

MARKBNLV
01-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Dana White. He counts as a fighter after such an epic boxercise career.

John Barnett and other drug users, but him in particular.

Brock and GSP are bad for the sport in some ways but obviously Brock brought in fans which helps the sport and GSP is a great fighter and big draw.

Josh Barnett is one of the most entertaining fighters in the sport.

ƒallenloki
01-12-2012, 02:32 PM
The list is up to you guys... I was initially thinking about in-cage performance, but we can expand that.

If you care to give an explanation, do so.

I'll go...

1. Tyron Woodley
2. Jake Shields
3. Chad Mendes
4. Leonard Garcia
5. Nate Marquardt

RIZO24
01-12-2012, 02:46 PM
John Fitch, Clay Guida (when he wrestles too much), Damian Maia, Chad Mendes, GSP (LAtely), Joe Stevenson, Josh Koscheck, Joe Warren, Werdum.. I added more than 5 but Honestly these guys right here have been boring lately.. I do not hate wrestlers.. IMO wrestling is probably the most important foundation to build in an MMA career but some very good wrestlers lately have been using it as a way to just lay on top of guys for three to four rounds and grind out a win.. Id say if you are going to take a fighter down, a fighter should try to finish a fight by ground and pound or submission. If a fighter is just holding a guy down and not using effective striking or submission skills, after two minutes the REF should stand them back up or use a red card like they did in pride.. I just cant stand when a wrestler just lays on to of guy for too long!!

-2 Scrappy-
01-12-2012, 04:41 PM
John Fitch, Clay Guida (when he wrestles too much), Damian Maia, Chad Mendes, GSP (LAtely), Joe Stevenson, Josh Koscheck, Joe Warren, Werdum.. I added more than 5 but Honestly these guys right here have been boring lately.. I do not hate wrestlers.. IMO wrestling is probably the most important foundation to build in an MMA career but some very good wrestlers lately have been using it as a way to just lay on top of guys for three to four rounds and grind out a win.. Id say if you are going to take a fighter down, a fighter should try to finish a fight by ground and pound or submission. If a fighter is just holding a guy down and not using effective striking or submission skills, after two minutes the REF should stand them back up or use a red card like they did in pride.. I just cant stand when a wrestler just lays on to of guy for too long!!

Its not fitchs fault when he takes people down all they wanna do is hold and pray the ref stands it up. Hes constantly trying to gnp, attempt submissions and advance position.

1. Gsp is the biggest draw but the biggest waste of talent. Fitchs style is his style, gsp has every god given talent and rather play safe and bore the fans

2. Chad Mendes, the one time he could show some stand up against yaya he still lnps.

3. Ben Rothwell, jesus this guy is hard to watch but somehow stays on the main card.

4. Bisping is overrated and overprotected as hell.

5. TUF in general gives the sport a bad name since alot are dumbass hardasses with no skills that they put on for ratings and not actual talent. That hurts the sport most.

Agreed Barnett is trash for single handedly destroying affliction. Hermes is trash for steroids and being a rapist.

Nobodys mentioning it now but one thing I hear all the time is daley but frankly he was brought life and excitement to the division and kos deserved that punch for talking all that ***** then lnping.

shadeyfizzle
01-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Its not fitchs fault when he takes people down all they wanna do is hold and pray the ref stands it up. Hes constantly trying to gnp, attempt submissions and advance position.

1. Gsp is the biggest draw but the biggest waste of talent. Fitchs style is his style, gsp has every god given talent and rather play safe and bore the fans

2. Chad Mendes, the one time he could show some stand up against yaya he still lnps.

3. Ben Rothwell, jesus this guy is hard to watch but somehow stays on the main card.

4. Bisping is overrated and overprotected as hell.

5. TUF in general gives the sport a bad name since alot are dumbass hardasses with no skills that they put on for ratings and not actual talent. That hurts the sport most.

Agreed Barnett is trash for single handedly destroying affliction. Hermes is trash for steroids and being a rapist.

Nobodys mentioning it now but one thing I hear all the time is daley but frankly he was brought life and excitement to the division and kos deserved that punch for talking all that ***** then lnping.

I'd have to argue your 1st point and say bj penn is the biggest waste of talent. I'd say all things considered gsp has actually overachieved way past his natural talents. Bj penn meanwhile had all the talent to be the greatest mma fighter of all time by a landslide but always sandbagged on cardio. None of the fighters bj penn has ever lost to ever deserved to beat him if he had the same motor and gas tank.

-2 Scrappy-
01-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Bj comes to fight everytime though he never plays it safe. Hed be a phenominal posterboy.

Jack3d
01-12-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't think boring fighters are stinking up the sport. There are more exciting fighters in comparison to their boring counterparts. So that's a non-issue. GSP is boring to most hardcore fans, but people fill arenas to see him and a lot of women adore the guy. I don't think you could say he's bad for the sport at all. Hardcore fans don't make up the majority of a fanbase, so your opinion on it stinking up the sport holds no merit.

IMO what is stinking up the sport are fighters like

Jacob Volkmann: a moron that says stupid ***** about the president and sheds a bad light on himself, the sport, and the company he works for.

Fighters who dye their hair flamboyant colors.

Fighters who wear ridiculous ring attire.

Fighters who say dumb **** and don't think before they say things that could hurt the sports image.

What is stinking up the sport is more "image issues" than what they do inside the cage.

But at the same time there are fighters that the UFC puts on TV and on The Ultimate Fighter that have such a limited skillset, that they look and fight like they were just pulled off the street or off a bar stool. Sure they maybe be exciting but they look like a bunch of bums throwing haymakers.

I used to get mad when boxing elitists would say MMA takes no skill, and is for trailer trash. Now I kind of understand what they were saying. The way some fighters look and carry themselves just looks trashy.

That, IMO is what is hurting the sport. Not necessarily guys like Fitch and Tyrone Woodley.

F l i c k e r
01-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Demian Maia
Garbage. Complete garbage. This guy is worse than Shinya. Like, I get it. You suck at everything but bjj. Don't ****ing flop when your opponent gets close. Shinya only bjjs but at least he ****ing engages and doesn't just flop over. People really had the nerve to blame Anderson for that fight too. Luckily he got dropped from UFC right? Good. I don't even think he fights anymore. I wouldn't know, I don't follow him, cause he sucks.

Jason Miller
Don't know how the **** he got popular. He sucks. He's average at everything, good at nothing. Literally, he isn't good at anything. I don't know how he did it but he's like the Zack Ryder of mma.

Micheal Bisping
Boring. Talks **** and is boring on the feet. Boring. That's it. He's boring. The total polar opposite of Dan Hardy.

Georges St. Pierre
I respect him, I like his mind set, and acknowledge his martial arts but come the **** on. If someone is a threat to him, he'll just wrestle. Bigger than just about every welterweight and rather wrestle than use his kyokushin karate. That's the trend of the jackson camp though. Wrestle it out.

Kenny Florian
No heart, no killer instinct. He refuses to get hurt or go out on his shield or even take the smallest of chances. He's lost every title fight he has been in because he lacks heart and determination. Even when the only possible way for him to win is to throw down, he'll avoid contact and circle around the cage. Basically losing on purpose because of his fear to fight. Tag him good once, he'll ***** out.

I really had to think about it. I didn't want to just toss up names. Anthony Johnson and Melvin Guillard almost made this list but at least they aren't boring. Well, Anthony was a ***** for what he did Hardy but at least he finally moved to MW.

Jack3d
01-12-2012, 05:57 PM
See I don't get the "boring fighters are stinking up the sport"

The San Antonio Spurs are boring as fuk, but that doesn't mean they are bad for Basketball.

The Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers games are usually FG contests, but it's not bad for Football. A lot of fans enjoy those close defensive contests.

Everybody these days in MMA want offense, offense offense. Reckless abandon.

The beauty of MMA and sports in general is that there is usually something for everybody.

I don't see how you can say one is stinking up the sport and the other isn't. Everybody has their preference.

Again, IMO it's more of what guys do outside the cage than inside.

Jack3d
01-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Another thing that is hurting the sport, not a fighter but the way the UFC markets and presents their product.

They introduce their PPV with cringe worthy nu-metal music, their commentary duo says a lot about their product as well.

You have a PBP announcer that is essentially a broken record "It's all Over" after every single fight, saying stupid things and making himself look foolish.

Then your Color Commentator is an admitted pot-head with an annoying voice that also says some dumb stuff and while he may be knowledgeable in some cases I just don't know how you take sport serious with the host of Fear Factor doing your commentary.

Dana White, I give him a lot of credit for what he's done for the sport and building his own brand, but he's like Jerry Jones. He's way too involved in places he shouldn't be and should remain more behind the scenes. But it's worked for him so far, so what the hell.

F l i c k e r
01-12-2012, 06:29 PM
I definitely agree with that. After a certain point, you figure they would change that retarded ass intro music. It's annoying as hell to me.

The commentators are a bit overdone as well but compared to Bill Goldberg and those other guys, can't really complain. Unless they get that guy who does HDNet fight commentary, the british/aussie guy. Otherwise, probably won't get better than what they have now.

ƒallenloki
01-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Jack3d dropping the knowledge!

I agree with a lot of what you say but I disagree on the Jacob Volkmann stuff...

I think this is a problem for the UFC, the UFC can't build stars because no one has a personality. I mean seriously... Past the top 10 in each division it's a cacophony of the same fighters, and even then no one is spending a damn thing to see an individual fighter except for maybe two or three guys.

If Volkmann wants to put himself out there like that, it's his right. You may not agree with what he says but I'm sure many people do. Hell, I think O-bomb-a should be tried for treason and war crimes, but that's just me. Besides that, who the hell was Volkmann before he got on the mic? No one. Now you are at least aware of him. Plus the guy is a beast of a wrestler.

shadeyfizzle
01-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Another thing that is hurting the sport, not a fighter but the way the UFC markets and presents their product.

They introduce their PPV with cringe worthy nu-metal music, their commentary duo says a lot about their product as well.

You have a PBP announcer that is essentially a broken record "It's all Over" after every single fight, saying stupid things and making himself look foolish.

Then your Color Commentator is an admitted pot-head with an annoying voice that also says some dumb stuff and while he may be knowledgeable in some cases I just don't know how you take sport serious with the host of Fear Factor doing your commentary.

Dana White, I give him a lot of credit for what he's done for the sport and building his own brand, but he's like Jerry Jones. He's way too involved in places he shouldn't be and should remain more behind the scenes. But it's worked for him so far, so what the hell.

Amen brother. i was saying the same thing on the 1st page that it's more what's outside the cage or ring than in it.

You have guys like benji radach and tim sylvia getting plastered and instigating fights instead of behaving like the professionals that they are. To make it worse they do so and get knocked out cold by average joes and professional wrestlers making a mockery of the sport they represent and validating claims that it doesnt take skill to do mma.

As far as UFC's commentary team i would suppose they would have upgraded long ago if they could but those 2 have been there for so long now i think they're afraid to make changes that would turn off fans.

I do much prefer the team of mauro renallo, stephen quadross, pat milettich and frank shamrock. Man...is shamrock entertaining as a color commentator.

Virgil Caine
01-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Come on, this is fighting.

A stinker is a stinker.

Who cares if Canadians and females like to watch GSP fight, he's a stinker. Same with most of the other fighters listed in the thread.

Jack3d
01-13-2012, 02:12 AM
Come on, this is fighting.

A stinker is a stinker.

Who cares if Canadians and females like to watch GSP fight, he's a stinker. Same with most of the other fighters listed in the thread.

If it sells, it's not bad for the sport. And the last time I checked GSP is the biggest draw in MMA. And like I mentioned, the exciting fighters and fights far outweight the "stinkers". One bad fight on a card isn't going to ruin the entire card. And 15 or so "stinkers" a year in comparison to the hundreds of great fights per year aren't going to hurt it either.

GSP is to MMA as Tom Brady and Joe Namath are to Football. And that's not a bad.

Big BRICKS
01-13-2012, 02:58 AM
Nice post as always, Loki

I'm shaking my head at how many people think GSP is "stinking up the sport" with his style. He has shown that he is as close to unbeatable as you can be and is a complete professional in the media. He literally has no negative aspects marketability wise.

My list:

1. Josh Koscheck, he has no idea how to conduct himself like a professional. He will forever be stuck in a high school wrestler's mindset.

2. Forrest Griffin, as great as his first war with Bonnar was, it has faded into history and has been surpassed by many more great technical fights. Not to mention him crying like a baby when losing, running out of the cage and talking about how raw his penis is in interviews clouds his image as well.

3. Quinton Jackson, I've always loved his fighting style and ferocity. Though he hasn't finished a fight in a few years, he is easily one of the more entertaining brawlers in the sport. I think his humor is hilarious, but dry humping reporters for literally minutes and sending interviews to new levels of awkwardness is Rampage's real game. Entertaining to watch, but he does honestly look mentally challenged most of the time he speaks.

4. BJ Penn, "The Prodigy" has given us many great fights and is always willing to "just scrap," but it seems like he is headed off of the deep end after Diaz beat the brakes off of him in late October. Jay Dee is the perfect example as to why training is so important. He literally wasted his talent with a rock star attitude and though he often conducted himself as a professional, his recent threats against Cesar Gracie are completely childish.

5. Hermes França, another super entertaining fighter on the list. One of the more unique cases on this list, his reasons for stinking up the sport are for literally getting stinky with an underage girl. One count of unlawful penetration, one count of first-degree sexual abuse. **** you, Hermes França.

shadeyfizzle
01-13-2012, 03:07 AM

I'm shaking my head at how many people think GSP is "stinking up the sport" with his style. He has shown that he is as close to unbeatable as you can be and is a complete professional in the media. He literally has no negative aspects marketability wise.

My list:

1. Josh Koscheck, he has no idea how to conduct himself like a professional. He will forever be stuck in a high school wrestler's mindset.

2. Forrest Griffin, as great as his first war with Bonnar was, it has faded into history and has been surpassed by many more great technical fights. Not to mention him crying like a baby when losing, running out of the cage and talking about how raw his penis is in interviews clouds his image as well.

3. Quinton Jackson, I've always loved his fighting style and ferocity. Though he hasn't finished a fight in a few years, he is easily one of the more entertaining brawlers in the sport. I think his humor is hilarious, but dry humping reporters for literally minutes and sending interviews to new levels of awkwardness is Rampage's real game. Entertaining to watch, but he does honestly look mentally challenged most of the time he speaks.

4. BJ Penn, "The Prodigy" has given us many great fights and is always willing to "just scrap," but it seems like he is headed off of the deep end after Diaz beat the brakes off of him in late October. Jay Dee is the perfect example as to why training is so important. He literally wasted his talent with a rock star attitude and though he often conducted himself as a professional, his recent threats against Cesar Gracie are completely childish.

5. Hermes França, another super entertaining fighter on the list. One of the more unique cases on this list, his reasons for stinking up the sport are for literally getting stinky with an underage girl. One count of unlawful penetration, one count of first-degree sexual abuse. **** you, Hermes França.

once again it's more really about image and professionalism being the problem rather than actual in ring performances.

I completely agree on bj penn though. It pisses me off to even just think about him because he had all the talent in the world to be the greatest mma fighter of all time by miles and miles ahead of everyone else. None of the guys that beat him ever truly deserved to beat him and was his own undoing for coasting off his talents.

ƒallenloki
01-13-2012, 04:54 PM

My list:

Good list, bro... I can definitely see where you're coming from on all your picks.

The only reason I didn't put GSP on my list is because of what he does for the sport but the guy has really become a boring fighter to watch.

My biggest frustration with GSP is the fact that these guys that he's fighting have no business being in the ring with him. He should be getting them out of there in no more than 2 rounds but these guys manage to make it the distance regardless of being greatly outclasses.

shadeyfizzle
01-14-2012, 05:05 AM
Good list, bro... I can definitely see where you're coming from on all your picks.

The only reason I didn't put GSP on my list is because of what he does for the sport but the guy has really become a boring fighter to watch.

My biggest frustration with GSP is the fact that these guys that he's fighting have no business being in the ring with him. He should be getting them out of there in no more than 2 rounds but these guys manage to make it the distance regardless of being greatly outclasses.

I think most people give gsp way too much credit. Like I said..if you really followed his career really he has overachieved way past his skill limits.

He started out as knockout artist because of his agression but really wasnt ever that great of a striker and wasnt very good at much else. To his credit he improved himself to be a world class wrestler and really that's all thats keeping him at the top is being able to keep better strikers than him grounded. He really doesnt have much of a submission game to with that top control and he struggles against jiujitsu guys who can sweep him to his back.

Virgil Caine
01-14-2012, 07:42 AM
I think most people give gsp way too much credit. Like I said..if you really followed his career really he has overachieved way past his skill limits.

He started out as knockout artist because of his agression but really wasnt ever that great of a striker and wasnt very good at much else. To his credit he improved himself to be a world class wrestler and really that's all thats keeping him at the top is being able to keep better strikers than him grounded. He really doesnt have much of a submission game to with that top control and he struggles against jiujitsu guys who can sweep him to his back.
So you mean he just takes guys down and lays on them because that's the only way he can consistently beat so many contenders? Sounds like the definition of a stinker.

shadeyfizzle
01-14-2012, 02:35 PM
So you mean he just takes guys down and lays on them because that's the only way he can consistently beat so many contenders? Sounds like the definition of a stinker.

Sounds like the definition of overachiever. Its not pretty but he does what he has to. Its not like his opponents are ever completely outmatched.

I would argue anderson silva is more of a stinker because he's in there with guys he can put away in 2 minutes but spends 5rounds toying with them punching them on the foot or whatever other foolishness that the ufc actually has to publicly apologize for.

-2 Scrappy-
01-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Sounds like the definition of overachiever. Its not pretty but he does what he has to. Its not like his opponents are ever completely outmatched.

I would argue anderson silva is more of a stinker because he's in there with guys he can put away in 2 minutes but spends 5rounds toying with them punching them on the foot or whatever other foolishness that the ufc actually has to publicly apologize for.

Anderson has an excuse tho he's a slow starter that has to get peoples timing down. It's also not his fault maiand thales kept body flopping. He did his best to entertain like roy jones by taunting. How come jones don't get ***** and Anderson is not near as good anywhere else as GSP. Plus he may have a stinker but comes back murdering fools.

shadeyfizzle
01-14-2012, 08:25 PM
WAnderson has an excuse tho he's a slow starter that has to get peoples timing down. It's also not his fault maiand thales kept body flopping. He did his best to entertain like roy jones by taunting. How come jones don't get ***** and Anderswwon is not near as good anywhere else as GSP. Plus he may have a stinker but comes back murdering fools.

If it wasnt the spider's fault then the ufc would have no need to publicly apologize for him and yet they have more than once.

Other than that we can do a matchup comparison since some folks actually believe they might fight each other. Silva is by far an all around better striker. Gsp is a better wrestler but silva is better in the clinch. Silva also has better ground and pound and better submissions from the bottom. Gsp would be dead in the water if he ended up in bottom position.

Gsp = bernard hopkins of mma. Outgunned and outmatched in a good majority of fights but uses his brain to win in what usually is an ugly fight.