View Full Version : Dana White: "Overeem isnīt a top 10 MMA-fighter"

Dorian
01-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Funny how things change, huh?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zHSWP6WPotI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ether
01-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Reem is the best MMA HW alive right now.

Unknown Champ
01-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Business as usual. Man these type of dudes are cut throat, that's why they get paid

Dorian
01-02-2012, 04:28 PM
I notice more posters rocking Reem avis/sigs. Makes me happy :cool2: but don't you guys ever forget who was the guy that started it all.

Yours only, Doreem!

http://mmanytt.se/wp/wp-content/uploads/overeem-hatt-650x568.jpg

F l i c k e r
01-02-2012, 04:32 PM
lol, you'll be the only one with a Reem sig and avatar after he loses too.

Dorian
01-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Yep, win or lose.. I'll always be a huge fan.

Unlike Ether.

That snake jumps more bandwagons than a western thief!

Unknown Champ
01-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Yep, win or lose.. I'll always be a huge fan.

Unlike Ether.

That snake jumps more bandwagons than a western thief!

You JDS will trouble him?

Ether
01-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Stop spamming my boy kaps' section or ill have your posts deleted.

Dorian
01-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Stop spamming my boy kaps' section or ill have your posts deleted.

MY boy kaps is a doreem fan, good luck.. snake

F l i c k e r
01-02-2012, 04:43 PM
I think JDS could beat him if he boxes him instead of rushes him.

I don't think Overeem will get bum rushed out of a win but I think someone who will technical box him, could get the job done. Just got to avoid or neutralize Reem's own bum rush attempts. :lol1:

Dorian
01-02-2012, 04:46 PM
You JDS will trouble him?

I like JDS a lot, it's a striker vs striker match with small gloves, it's a 50/50 and who says otherwise is delusional. Who lands that big punch/combo first will probably get their hand raised.

nodogoshi
01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
I like JDS a lot, it's a striker vs striker match with small gloves, it's a 50/50 and who says otherwise is delusional. Who lands that big punch/combo first will probably get their hand raised.
JDS is not on Overeem's level in the striking department. All he really has is a big right hand. Overeem's been knocked out before, but he's improved as a fighter. Also, Sergei Kharitonov (the last guy to stop him on the feet) is a better boxer than JDS.

So does that makes me delusional?

dough401
01-02-2012, 04:56 PM

See why cant more people answer it like that I know the Reem banwagon is hot right now (Not you) but all these people are thinking its gonna be a one sided beat down and are so close minded on the matter so hearing this from a true Reem fan is good! Green K sent

nodogoshi
01-02-2012, 05:02 PM
See why cant more people answer it like that I know the Reem banwagon is hot right now (Not you) but all these people are thinking its gonna be a one sided beat down and are so close minded on the matter so hearing this from a true Reem fan is good! Green K sent
It isn't closed minded if it is an honest prediction of how one sees a fight going down.

nodogoshi
01-02-2012, 05:03 PM
It isn't closed minded if it is an honest prediction of how one sees a fight going down.
I hope JDS can make it a good fight, but I do not personally think he is on Reem's level right now. All he's really shown is punches, and that won't be enough to beat Reem.

nodogoshi
01-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Also, for the record Reem is imo the legitimate lineal HW champion of the world. I don't care who has the belt in the UFC.

dough401
01-02-2012, 05:06 PM

So you believe JDS shouldnt even show up just give the belt over why fight he doesnt have a chance? Im just curious what makes you think that I am also a fan of Reem tbh I started watching K1 growing up before any MMA so I know all about these guys but try and stay open to reality thats all.

nodogoshi
01-02-2012, 05:16 PM
So you believe JDS shouldnt even show up just give the belt over why fight he doesnt have a chance? Im just curious what makes you think that I am also a fan of Reem tbh I started watching K1 growing up before any MMA so I know all about these guys but try and stay open to reality thats all.
It is a prediction.

Sure anything can happen.

However, I don't see anything JDS has that leads me to believe he has a great chance in the fight.

I believe that Overeem, who I consider the top HW in the sport right now, will win, pretty dominately. I've explained why. Live with it, it is my prediction.

TheKza
01-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Also, for the record Reem is imo the legitimate lineal HW champion of the world. I don't care who has the belt in the UFC.

Agreed. JDS will get a gut check from The Reem and that will be the beginning of the end.

WARQUEZ
01-02-2012, 05:48 PM
JDS is not on Overeem's level in the striking department. All he really has is a big right hand. Overeem's been knocked out before, but he's improved as a fighter. Also, Sergei Kharitonov (the last guy to stop him on the feet) is a better boxer than JDS.

That's the farthest thing from the truth. JDS is on Ubereem's level and this is a 50/50 fight.

JDS has far superior boxing than Overeem. Yes Overeem has uberknees but JDS has the best Jab in the HW division by far.

nodogoshi
01-02-2012, 05:50 PM
That's the farthest thing from the truth. JDS is on Ubereem's level and this is a 50/50 fight.
I respectfully disagree.

nodogoshi
01-02-2012, 05:52 PM
I respectfully disagree.
It is pretty revealing though how someone can't have a differing opinion without being labeled closed minded or delusional.

WARQUEZ
01-02-2012, 05:55 PM
It is pretty revealing though how someone can't have a differing opinion without being labeled closed minded or delusional.

Never thought that at all. That was just my way of disagreeing with you. Of course it's just my opinion, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

kaps
01-02-2012, 05:55 PM
I think JDS vs. Reem will be a good fight depending on the Reem that shows up. If it's the Werdum Reem I got JDS taking it. If it's the Brock Reem I see Reem winning with some Uberknees.....

kaps
01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Never thought that at all. That was just my way of disagreeing with you.

LOL @ your sig....

dough401
01-02-2012, 06:04 PM

As for this I wasnt talking about you at first till went off with your tantrum for some reason towards me, I was talking to some one else but ok, Your opinion is one thing witch we all have that is what this site is here for but as for saying close minded "Intolerant of the beliefs and opinions of others; stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas" wasnt saying anything bad to get you all mad like I said wasnt even talking to ya bro.

Never thought that at all. That was just my way of disagreeing with you. Of course it's just my opinion, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

He wasnt talking about you it was me so no worries its tough some time to have conversations with people taking things so serious.

nodogoshi
01-02-2012, 06:10 PM
As for this I wasnt talking about you at first till went off with your tantrum for some reason towards me, I was talking to some one else but ok, Your opinion is one thing witch we all have that is what this site is here for but as for saying close minded "Intolerant of the beliefs and opinions of others; stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas" wasnt saying anything bad to get you all mad like I said wasnt even talking to ya bro.

He wasnt talking about you it was me so no worries its tough some time to have conversations with people taking things so serious.
I was sort of talking in general. And it's an open discussion. You spoke in general terms, to which I was responding. Everyone is calling it a 50/50 fight, and it seems like you all want people to conform to this. My opinion is what it is, and I have explained why I believe what I do. No tantrum, more so making a point.

monaroCountry
01-02-2012, 06:37 PM

I agree with you, this is JDS sparring against a smaller amateur boxer. Sergei and Overeem has easily the better striking.

And this is coming from a JDS fan, who I think is one of the few legitimate and deserving UFC HW fighter at the moment.

Id definately watch that fight.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ihQFUYbnjww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ƒallenloki
01-02-2012, 07:53 PM

JDS has far superior boxing than Overeem. Yes Overeem has uberknees but JDS has the best Jab in the HW division by far.

Wrong...

Overeem has the advantage in literally every department.

JDS can hit Overeem and KO him, but to act like he is some god is ridiculous.

Dorian
01-02-2012, 08:33 PM

http://sonarbangladesh.com/blog/uploads/ihtarif201012241293212974_rumi10201011181290085577 _Exactly.png

Miburo
01-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Dana White has always been a sh1t talker.

monaroCountry
01-03-2012, 05:52 AM
Wrong...

Overeem has the advantage in literally every department.

JDS can hit Overeem and KO him, but to act like he is some god is ridiculous.

I agree. Overeem has a far better submission and striking.

Cloud
01-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Im not ashamed to admit i used to dislike Alistair....i respected him as a fighter but just didnt like him.

Then i really started to dig him in the K-1 series and ive been a big fan since 2009.

I called Overeem stopping Brock in the first round and it was that thunderbolt knee strike once again that set the finish up...he tamed Todd Duffee and raped a Japanese Heavyweight a few years ago with that knee.

...I love Junior dos Santos and always said he would be UFC champion....Cigano versus Demolition Man.....this should be a war.

UglyPug
01-03-2012, 07:05 AM
i love those dutch kickboxers. . . they have some vicious kicks and knees. . .

they also understand the importance and effectiveness of the front upkick. .

KING MEAT
01-03-2012, 07:12 AM
I notice more posters rocking Reem avis/sigs. Makes me happy :cool2: but don't you guys ever forget who was the guy that started it all.

Yours only, Dorianny!

corrected it for ya :dance:

T.Horton
01-03-2012, 07:53 AM
I thought he looked good enough the other night but is it normal to hold your hands THAT low in MMA? Yes, I am a noob.

Dorian
01-03-2012, 08:08 AM
corrected it for ya :dance:

You're a meanie!

nodogoshi
01-03-2012, 08:22 AM
I thought he looked good enough the other night but is it normal to hold your hands THAT low in MMA? Yes, I am a noob.

He was guarding against takedowns and didn't have to fear Brock's striking.

Against a guy like JDS I would imagine he'd have his hands higher.

T.Horton
01-03-2012, 08:25 AM
He was guarding against takedowns and didn't have to fear Brock's striking.

Against a guy like JDS I would imagine he'd have his hands higher.That is funny, I| was watching the fight yesterday with a buddy of mine (also a huge boxing fan but a veritable noob when it comes to MMA) and he mentioned the low hands thing. I told him it must be to guard against take-downs. It's nice to be right sometimes. lol

Thanks man.

Flab
01-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Funny how things change, huh?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zHSWP6WPotI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That video makes him look stupid.

UglyPug
01-03-2012, 09:05 AM
how did overeem get that cut between his eyes? i didn't see brock land a punch? did he connect with one of those glancing jabs or something?

i don't know a whole lot about overeem because im not that big into MMA. . . but from what i have seen he is a straight killer with SURGICAL PRECISION on his strikes. . .

nodogoshi
01-03-2012, 09:15 AM
how did overeem get that cut between his eyes? i didn't see brock land a punch? did he connect with one of those glancing jabs or something?

i don't know a whole lot about overeem because im not that big into MMA. . . but from what i have seen he is a straight killer with SURGICAL PRECISION on his strikes. . .
When I watched it, it looked to me like it was indeed a grazing jab that cut him.

dough401
01-03-2012, 09:33 AM

Its funny cause ive watched this fight a few times and still dont know how it happen the only thing I could think of is Reem scratched himself to hard just a bad fight for non MMA people to watch. As for all of us that dont miss a fight this was called as soon as we heard the match up.

monaroCountry
01-03-2012, 05:01 PM
as well as running like a girl, Brock mustve had fingernails like a girl too :boxing:

pesticid
01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
When Lucia Rijker hits harder than Houston Alexander, you know MMA boxing doesn't count for ****. Nate Diaz as great as he looked, these punches of his and no head movement, he might get destroyed by a journeyman. MMA boxing is ridiculous and not that Overeem's boxing is great, he can't handle Badr Hari for 30 seconds in a boxing contest. Francoi Botha finished like 3rd or smth in K1, I saw his fight with Bonjanski. Francois Botha no kicking , kneeeingm, muy thai experience. Wlad Klitschko will destroy Overem ina standup fight. JDS can beat him only of Overeem is on drugs or smth. There is a reason MMA fighters don;t go to boxing where the money is. Their boxing ain't worth ****. So in other words, people shouldn't be banking on JDS boxing.

kaps
01-05-2012, 11:01 PM
It cracks me up when people say "Go to boxing where the money is." Only the top few guys make anything over a million a fight. The average boxer makes maybe a $1000 per fight. The going rate is about $100 per round. Tv Undercard fighters can expect to make $5000 - $10000 per fight. Nate Diaz earned $74000 dollars for his undercard fight with Cerrone and a $75000 bonus for Fight of the Night....

pesticid
01-06-2012, 11:39 AM
It cracks me up when people say "Go to boxing where the money is." Only the top few guys make anything over a million a fight. The average boxer makes maybe a $1000 per fight. The going rate is about $100 per round. Tv Undercard fighters can expect to make $5000 - $10000 per fight. Nate Diaz earned $74000 dollars for his undercard fight with Cerrone and a $75000 bonus for Fight of the Night....

The problem with this statement is that the top of UFC makes only a fraction of what the top of boxing makes and the bottom of UFC makes only a fraction of what the bottom of boxing makes.

Koscheck made $10,000 to get smashed by GSP. Friday Night boxers on ESPN are making around $25,000 per fight. So Koscheck could've tried for ESPN or Fox or whatever for a bigger purse, but his boxing ain't good enough even for the lower echelon of boxers.

Anyway I didn't want to get into the money aspect, I was just trying to make a point that boxing in MMA is not the same as boxing in boxing and that people giving JDS a great chance to beat Overeem cause of his boxing is not right.

Big BRICKS
01-06-2012, 12:16 PM
When Lucia Rijker hits harder than Houston Alexander, you know MMA boxing doesn't count for ****. Nate Diaz as great as he looked, these punches of his and no head movement, he might get destroyed by a journeyman. MMA boxing is ridiculous and not that Overeem's boxing is great, he can't handle Badr Hari for 30 seconds in a boxing contest. Francoi Botha finished like 3rd or smth in K1, I saw his fight with Bonjanski. Francois Botha no kicking , kneeeingm, muy thai experience. Wlad Klitschko will destroy Overem ina standup fight. JDS can beat him only of Overeem is on drugs or smth. There is a reason MMA fighters don;t go to boxing where the money is. Their boxing ain't worth ****. So in other words, people shouldn't be banking on JDS boxing.

What are you even talking about? This isn't boxing, it's MMA.. I'm a bodyguard by profession, that is like me claiming that you couldn't protect your family because you're not a certified armed guard. Fact is it is MMA and Overeem is a VERY DOMINANT heavyweight KICKBOXER, who knocked BADR HARI out in their first bout. Put a heavyweight boxer in the cage with MMA rules and there is no doubt in my mind that Overeem would fair okay standing with his leg kicks and kicks to the liver. You need to stop acting like kickboxers can't compete with boxers standing dude, that's just ludicrous.

Let's stop with the MMA vs Boxing dude, its makes no sense.

pesticid
01-06-2012, 03:31 PM
What are you even talking about? This isn't boxing, it's MMA.. I'm a bodyguard by profession, that is like me claiming that you couldn't protect your family because you're not a certified armed guard. Fact is it is MMA and Overeem is a VERY DOMINANT heavyweight KICKBOXER, who knocked BADR HARI out in their first bout. Put a heavyweight boxer in the cage with MMA rules and there is no doubt in my mind that Overeem would fair okay standing with his leg kicks and kicks to the liver. You need to stop acting like kickboxers can't compete with boxers standing dude, that's just ludicrous.

Let's stop with the MMA vs Boxing dude, its makes no sense.

Bro,

Quit overreacting, I didn't say boxing is better than MMA or nothing like that. What I said is that JDS's chances of beating Reem cause of his "superior" boxing are exaggerated because MMA boxing is not all that. Kickboxers can compete with boxers standing up, well I am not sure about the elite ones like Wlad and Vitaly. However, JDS is not a boxer. Again you're misreading my part and overacting a bit.

nodogoshi
01-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Bro,

Quit overreacting, I didn't say boxing is better than MMA or nothing like that. What I said is that JDS's chances of beating Reem cause of his "superior" boxing are exaggerated because MMA boxing is not all that. Kickboxers can compete with boxers standing up, well I am not sure about the elite ones like Wlad and Vitaly. However, JDS is not a boxer. Again you're misreading my part and overacting a bit.
I agree. Here's JDS sparring a middleweight boxer (Erivan Conceiįão).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ihQFUYbnjww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lucky Jim
01-06-2012, 03:44 PM

Overeem said he wants to box Vitali -- what a spectacle that would be.

He'd get annihilated, but it would be fun to watch while it lasted....

kaps
01-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Overeem said he wants to box Vitali -- what a spectacle that would be.

He'd get annihilated, but it would be fun to watch while it lasted....

Overeem has about as much business boxing Vitali as Vitali does having a MMA fight with Overeem.....

F l i c k e r
01-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Overeem could fight him. Would he win? Probably not. But i'd be lying if I said I wouldn't watch it.

Norton
01-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Overeem has about as much business boxing Vitali as Vitali does having a MMA fight with Overeem.....

Well, Vitali is former kickboxing champion so I think he knows a thing about MMA. Anyway I would like to see this show - Vitali vs Overeem - with boxing/kickboxing or "show" rules.

kaps
01-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Well, Vitali is former kickboxing champion so I think he knows a thing about MMA. Anyway I would like to see this show - Vitali vs Overeem - with boxing/kickboxing or "show" rules.

Is he a former wrestling and Jiu Jitsu champion too?

nodogoshi
01-06-2012, 05:23 PM
That was a long time ago though, he wouldn't fair well against a top kickboxer today, imo. Of course his boxing is at the top of the world, but that isn't enough in a kickboxing match. The guy is in his 40s now, and was a kickboxer like 20 years ago.

Norton
01-06-2012, 06:00 PM
That was a long time ago though, he wouldn't fair well against a top kickboxer today, imo. Of course his boxing is at the top of the world, but that isn't enough in a kickboxing match. The guy is in his 40s now, and was a kickboxer like 20 years ago.

Not just kickboxer, but 6 times world champion (4 in pro and 2 in amateurs). As for his skills you may estimate them for yourself (this fight is in the Japanese mixed martial arts promotion Pancrase under WKA Special Rules (no low kicks):

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fzic9xO7E3w?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fzic9xO7E3w?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

nodogoshi
01-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Not just kickboxer, but 6 times world champion (4 in pro and 2 in amateurs). As for his skills you may estimate them for yourself (this fight is in the Japanese mixed martial arts promotion Pancrase under WKA Special Rules (no low kicks):

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fzic9xO7E3w?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fzic9xO7E3w?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
I've seen this fight before, and a number of his other fights.

I'm sure there are a lot of guys he could beat, without question.

I'm skeptical about him beating the top guys though. For one thing, he's carrying a lot of age, and a lot of former injuries. Also, 20 years away is a long ****ing time (although boxing is of course extremely relavent).

Norton
01-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Is he a former wrestling and Jiu Jitsu champion too?

No. Is Overeem?

nodogoshi
01-06-2012, 06:37 PM
No. Is Overeem?
Reem actually does have a pretty good ground game.

Norton
01-06-2012, 06:49 PM
I've seen this fight before, and a number of his other fights.

I'm sure there are a lot of guys he could beat, without question.

I'm skeptical about him beating the top guys though. For one thing, he's carrying a lot of age, and a lot of former injuries. Also, 20 years away is a long ****ing time (although boxing is of course extremely relavent).

40 years is pretty old for boxing also. But look at his last fight with former two divisions champion Adamek and ask yourself who looks like helpless old man (or little boy) there?

Yes, Vitali is old and have many injuries, but he also gets not much damage in fights because of his unusual stile and reflexes and he has 3 years pause in career to heal injuries. I'm still not sure if he can win under UFC rules but it would be easy walk for him under boxing rules and exciting show under kickboxing rules. Anyway, it would be interesting fight to watch even as a show with special rules.

kaps
01-06-2012, 06:58 PM
No. Is Overeem?

Overeem has submitted 19 of his opponents. He also trains on his takedowns and takedown defence...

nodogoshi
01-06-2012, 07:09 PM
40 years is pretty old for boxing also. But look at his last fight with former two divisions champion Adamek and ask yourself who looks like helpless old man (or little boy) there?

Yes, Vitali is old and have many injuries, but he also gets not much damage in fights because of his unusual stile and reflexes and he has 3 years pause in career to heal injuries. I'm still not sure if he can win under UFC rules but it would be easy walk for him under boxing rules and exciting show under kickboxing rules. Anyway, it would be interesting fight to watch even as a show with special rules.

This discussion is purely hypothetical because Vitali would never have a reason whatsoever to enter MMA (he makes several million a couple times a year in boxing).

But could he hypothetically win? Sure he could.

This is not an equivocation (Mercer was never a kickboxer for one thing, and fighters are variable, as are fights) but, there is always this as an example, for instance:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A1M_PIFW4wI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lucky Jim
01-06-2012, 07:14 PM
At age 40, Vitali would not likely fight Overeem using MMA rules, but Overeem said he wanted to challenge Vitali in boxing.

Vitali just might take that challenge.

It would make for a great spectacle, and attract a wide audience.

kaps
01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Vitali owns Reem in a straight up boxing fight IMO. Kickboxing I'd give an edge to Reem. MMA is Reem all day...

pesticid
01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Overeem is too slow and and the fight against Vitaly will be over before it even begins. Vitaly will have him psyched out. Overeem doesn;t belong. IF they fight under K1 rules and he is able to lkand a knee or two, maybe but I still see Vitaly having too much ring IQ for any standup fight. And as far as Overeem vs Wlad, one jab from Wlad and Alistair is done.

nodogoshi
01-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Reem would have no chance, whatsoever, in a boxing match.

But more importantly, Zuffa would never allow it.

You fight for Zuffa? You fight for no one else.

You don't fight for Zuffa? That means you don't fight for Zuffa ever. Until they have an exclusive contract in hand, that is.

kaps
01-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Reem would have no chance, whatsoever, in a boxing match.

But more importantly, Zuffa would never allow it.

You fight for Zuffa? You fight for no one else.

You don't fight for Zuffa? That means you don't fight for Zuffa ever. Until they have an exclusive contract in hand, that is.

Worst part about Zuffa. No NAGA, No ADCC, No K-1. If it's not MMA they shouldn't care....

pesticid
01-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I am actually surprised that Reem agreed to fight only MMA, I though t he still wanted to compete in kickboxing. I thought Fedor's deal falling out was that they wouldn't allow him to compete in Sambo.

F l i c k e r
01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Fedor's deal fell out also because they didn't want to co-promote with M1.

nodogoshi
01-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Fedor's deal fell through because Zuffa offered a contract which Fedor could not possibly accept.

The sambo was indeed one small component, but could have been overcome, probably.

However, Zuffa will only make a deal which completely cuts out all other promoters/managemement outfits (just look at the current Golden Glory situation).

Nevermind that Fedor is 10% owner of M-1.

The idea that M-1 are demanding co-promotion, and with their logos brazened across the UFC octogan, is a misnomer. Fedor would fight in the UFC if there were a reasonable deal in place.

However, Zuffa will not work with anyone who does not sign away all of their rights, let alone working with another company (i.e. M-1 or Golden Glory).

So, Fedor will never fight for the UFC. And he absolutely shouldn't.

Fedor doesn't need Zuffa, he is an international star. He can sell out stadiums from Russia, to Korea, to Japan, and he is also a proven draw in the US as well.

Yes it is unfortunate that he will have trouble securing top opponents. What can you say. I guess it is up to you, you can either blame Fedor for not signing a slave contract, or you can blame the people trying to monopolize the sport at the expence of the athletes.

monaroCountry
01-07-2012, 05:34 PM
I am actually surprised that Reem agreed to fight only MMA, I though t he still wanted to compete in kickboxing. I thought Fedor's deal falling out was that they wouldn't allow him to compete in Sambo.

A very lucky run in K-1 going up against injured fighters, even his team has pointed this out.

I guess Overeem knew that he couldnt hack it with a healthy K-1 top ten and so decided to leave with his belt without ever defending it.

nodogoshi
01-08-2012, 09:48 AM
A very lucky run in K-1 going up against injured fighters, even his team has pointed this out.

I guess Overeem knew that he couldnt hack it with a healthy K-1 top ten and so decided to leave with his belt without ever defending it.
I respect Overeem's abilities in a kickboxing ring, and he is without a doubt one of the best strikers in MMA in any weight division, imo.

But, I agree with you his run in K-1 was very fortuitous.

He fought a guy with a broken arm in his semi-finals match in Gohkan Saki, who just came out punching with his one good hand and promptly through in the towel as soon as he received pressure back. In the mean time, on the other side of the bracket, an already well aged Peter Aerts went to absolute hell and back in his victory earning effort against tournament favorite Semmy Schilt. In some ways, that semi-finals match between Aerts and Schilt was the real grade a match on the night.

I don't believe that Overeem would've beat Semmy Schilt, as a personal opinion. Also, a fresh Peter Aerts would've had a great chance to beat Reem (Reem was fresh), and I frankly don't know who would be a favorite in the fight, but the Aerts that fought Reem that night was anything but fresh.

Still, Overeem won the tournament, and it is a big accomplishment. It will always be remembered though that he benefited from luck as well as skill and preparedness, that is just the way things are, and also the way things should be.

Money Shot
01-09-2012, 07:56 PM
People criticise the boxing HW scene but the MMA HW scene is surely a lot worse. Overeem and Barnett are the only guys I rate. Dos Santos is an unknown quantity.

Necrophobic
01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
People criticise the boxing HW scene but the MMA HW scene is surely a lot worse. Overeem and Barnett are the only guys I rate. Dos Santos is an unknown quantity.

You on crack? The HW division is one of MMA's most stacked divisons.

F l i c k e r
01-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Exaclty. :rofl:

Money Shot
01-09-2012, 11:08 PM

Stacked with what? Few if any of them are any good. Velasquez and Lesnar being exhibit A. I don't even think Overeem is that good but unless they bring in Barnett he'll be pissing it in the UFC for years. Who are they going to feed him after Dos Santos? Mir?:nonono: Kongo?:nonono: Nelson? :nonono: Velasquez or Carwin :nonono: And if you think adding the likes of Sliva and Werdum to the mix make the division 'stacked' you need help.

nodogoshi
01-10-2012, 03:56 AM
Stacked with what? Few if any of them are any good. Velasquez and Lesnar being exhibit A. I don't even think Overeem is that good but unless they bring in Barnett he'll be pissing it in the UFC for years. Who are they going to feed him after Dos Santos? Mir?:nonono: Kongo?:nonono: Nelson? :nonono: Velasquez or Carwin :nonono: And if you think adding the likes of Sliva and Werdum to the mix make the division 'stacked' you need help.
Any division in which Roy Nelson can be even a fringe contender is in a bad way.

Not that the guy is talentless, but seriously.

G A M E
01-10-2012, 04:28 AM
the only diff between boxings HW and the UFCs HWs.. is looks

http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2007/images/lelandhardy/fasteddie.jpg

vs

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID7334/images/daniel-cormier_MMA_Junkie.jpg

Cormier looks better than fast eddie

:haha: