View Full Version : Why is Overeem considered the best striker?

Ring Leader
12-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Have people seen who he has been fighting and how he is ? Bob Sapp won a K1 Grand Prix ffs, how does that translate to best striker in MMA? The Reem is slow but does have power, however I don't consider him the best striker for beating guys like James Thompson, Kazuyuki Fujita, Brett Rogers, and Todd Duffee.

Could you imagine how Junior Dos Santos would of handled James Thomspon...JAMES THOMPSON, Fujita, Rogers, Duffee, and Werdum? Overeem is big and strong with power but isn't fast. Junior would tear this guy apart...PIECE BY PIECE

Yes he won a K1 Grand Prix, but the best strikers in the world don't all compete in the GP.

$Full Clip$
12-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Amen, Overeem fans are crazy delusional.

ƒallenloki
12-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Amen, Overeem fans are crazy delusional.

I'm 90% sure neither of you dip****s even knew who Alistair Overeem was 6 months ago.

Ring Leader
12-20-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm 90% sure neither of you dip****s even knew who Alistair Overeem was 6 months ago.

On the defensive? I am honest I have only watched Overeem the past 2 years but that is a good enough sample size to judge his current striking on. The fact is Overeem fought in a K1 Grand Prix that was weak and he has knocked out low level opposition like James Thompson and Brett Rogers. Don't see why you have to get emotional about the subject and attack the other poster and I. Just because Junior Dos Santos didn't compete in the K1 tourney doesnt mean they cant be the best. I am using examples of Bob Sapp to show having K1 credentials does not translate into high level MMA success.

P.S - I would like to see how you figured your statistics to evaluate an assumption that you are 90% sure the other poster and myself have not heard of Overeem 6 months ago.

$Full Clip$
12-20-2011, 03:06 PM

Lmao considering ive been posting in the mma section the most since i joined 2 years ago not to mention have said the same thing time after time on my bloodynate account ever since people started deepthroating Overeem.

Dorian
12-20-2011, 04:10 PM
He rag dolled Peter Aerts twice who is known as 'Mr. K1' he knocked out Badr Hari on short notice who is a ATG and he won the GP. Let's see Anderson Silva or Shogun Rua or Brock Lesnar go into K1 and win big.

facepalm.jpg...

Ring Leader
12-20-2011, 04:14 PM
He rag dolled Peter Aerts twice who is known as 'Mr. K1' he knocked out Badr Hari on short notice who is a ATG and he won the GP. Let's see Anderson Silva or Shogun Rua or Brock Lesnar go into K1 and win big.

facepalm.jpg...

I do consider The Reem one of the best stand up fighters in MMA and one of the most exciting dont get me wrong. I just consider JDS better because of his speed, he already matches Reem in height and power but Junior's speed is the deciding factor for me.

TheKza
12-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Lesnar shouldn't really be allowed in a cage with a monster puncher like The Reem.

http://i55.tinypic.com/f1ejie.jpg

Ring Leader
12-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Lesnar shouldn't really be allowed in a cage with a monster puncher like The Reem.

http://i55.tinypic.com/f1ejie.jpg

Can do this all day...Duffee is a prospect who already got knocked out.

http://gifsoup.com/view/630511/overeem-quits-o.gif

http://uvtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/overeem.gif

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/630631/shogun-owns-overeem-o.gif

ChampSince84
12-20-2011, 07:52 PM

facepalm.jpg...

Hahahahahaha

$Full Clip$
12-20-2011, 08:03 PM

facepalm.jpg...
Forgot to mention Aerts was coming outta a war the same night and Overeem had an easy fight before.

Someone88
12-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Vitali and Wladimir are the best Strikers also Dos Santos would beat Overeem

ƒallenloki
12-20-2011, 10:30 PM

Those are from fights at 205.

kaps
12-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Because he won the K-1 GP. If he'd of fought Schilt he wouldn't be so highly ranked IMO...

G A M E
12-21-2011, 04:46 AM
JDS just more willing than these num nut HWs in the UFC to throw down, till he faces someone just as willing and confident in their striking, then we'll see.

Dont say "oh Shane Carwin..." Shane Carwin almost got his lights turned off by Gonzaga... Gon fn Zaga.

Flab
12-21-2011, 05:07 AM

That was before the horse meat.

Cloud
12-21-2011, 05:22 AM
JDS just more willing than these num nut HWs in the UFC to throw down, till he faces someone just as willing and confident in their striking, then we'll see.

Dont say "oh Shane Carwin..." Shane Carwin almost got his lights turned off by Gonzaga... Gon fn Zaga.

LOL

I remember people saying Carwin is god and he'd KO JDS...i knew it was just so ridiculous. JDS vs. Overeem would be so interesting..

Im not a huge fan of Alistair but his knee strike is the best in MMA...IMO. He froze Duffee in his tracks with that knee.

$Full Clip$
12-21-2011, 08:35 AM
It is because of K1 but like said it wasnt a strong route to the tournament like others before him. Badi Hari wasnt even part of it. I just dont believe it. Hes winning on pure size and power. Only thing hed have on jds is leg kicks but dos santos is so much faster hell punch him in the face everytime he throws one and reems cardio and chin has always been terrible. Sergi destroyed him in a straight stand up fight. AT HEAVYWEIGHT. Not to mention dos santos keeps his hands low because hes so much faster then others it suckers them into a boxing match making them think they can touch him like cro cop and cain. Jds brutally stops him in the 2nd or 3rd round Watch it happen!

Marchegiano
12-21-2011, 09:10 AM
We've already done this. I'm not compelled by your rhetoric.

Even without the GP win he's got better credentials than anyone else at HW. Why is Cormier the best wrestler....I dunno...maybe 'cause a decent record college doesn't stack against the Olympics.

Bob Sapp have never won a K-1 GP. Bob Sapp is not relevant.

Watch the tiny hole Bonjasky had to exploit to put Alistair on his ass. That's a decent guard. Check the 90 degree angle on his hooks, and cuts. Those are proper pure power line punches. Notice the the moment in his step-up knee even in confined space. Check his Thai grip Judo toss. Clinch work. Alistair is the best HW striker because he is the ONLY one you can watch and open you up a book and see what text-book prefect should look like. Who else chops, and knifes? Who else even dips properly? How are you gonna watch JDS and pick up the right way to chop a guard? How about an Axe kick? Front kick? The only course of plausible argument is effectiveness. Was JDS's KO punch on Cain proper? **** no. The power line is way way off. Did it work? Well, homie's champion. Why? Tons of power says you ain't got to be proper to KO. Does that make him a better or more skilled striker? I dunno. Hands down I do think JDS has the chin and the power, but skills are Overeem's.

Plus, 20-40 more pounds of whoop ass says we might see Junior on the ground anyway. That is how he got that L in the first place.

Dorian
12-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Forgot to mention Aerts was coming outta a war the same night and Overeem had an easy fight before.

Forgot to mention that Overeem beat Aerts at the Final 16 in 2009 where they only had 1 fight that nigh, against each other.

ƒallenloki
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
People act like Cigano can't be hit on the feet. The dude get's absolutely blasted when he trades with guys. Fortunately for him, he's got a damn good chin and big power in his hands.

However, against The 'Reem you're banging on a different level. He has the power to hurt and finish JDS and vice versa. When the game is strictly stand-up Overeem tends to excel. Imagine if it were Overeem clobbering JDS with right hands the way Big Country did?

Winning the K1 GP isn't everything, but it is definitely something.

Ring Leader
12-21-2011, 01:48 PM
People act like Cigano can't be hit on the feet. The dude get's absolutely blasted when he trades with guys. Fortunately for him, he's got a damn good chin and big power in his hands.

However, against The 'Reem you're banging on a different level. He has the power to hurt and finish JDS and vice versa. When the game is strictly stand-up Overeem tends to excel. Imagine if it were Overeem clobbering JDS with right hands the way Big Country did?

Carwin had a hard time catching JDS. Carwin would charge in swinging and Junior would stop him dead in his tracks with his jab. Carwin and Reem are both pretty slow compared to Jds

Overeem won the GP with his size and strength advantage and same with his fights in dream and SF but Junior matches his size and power except Junior has speed in his arsenal

ƒallenloki
12-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Shane Carwin is like 6'0"

Really?

You're trolling.

G A M E
12-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Carwin had a hard time catching JDS. Carwin would charge in swinging and Junior would stop him dead in his tracks with his jab. Carwin and Reem are both pretty slow compared to Jds

Overeem won the GP with his size and strength advantage and same with his fights in dream and SF but Junior matches his size and power except Junior has speed in his arsenal

JDS aint even that fast, hes on par with the avg HW, like i said before, hes just willing to initiate first.

Someone88
12-24-2011, 03:05 AM

Imagine Overeem was taking the shots Nelson took he'd be knocked out by Dos Santos

Someone88
12-24-2011, 03:05 AM
JDS aint even that fast, hes on par with the avg HW, like i said before, hes just willing to initiate first.

Dos Santos is the fastest fighter at heavyweight

dan_cov
12-24-2011, 03:33 AM
I am a big fan of JDS & have been for some years but the UFC has this thing where the fans bill certain guys up as something they aren't. When they get railed, they soon jump off the hypetrain & onto the next.

Take for instance when Brock came & the world went crazy ''wow he's not human, he's a monster'' & there was this ridiculous hype going about.

Junior has good hands, he has a hell of a chin & he is the UFC HW champion but the guy is very basic & he is still somewhat very untested. I see you, sat there ''WTF? dickhead u know ****''
But the guy is still somewhat untested & 1-dimensional. I don't mean 1-dimensional as in he can't adapt I mean he fights to his strengths and there are certain aspects of his game we are yet to see or haven't seen at the elite level.

G A M E
12-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Dos Santos is the fastest fighter at heavyweight

I just watched countdown to UFC 141... They were jizzing that Brock is the fastest HW in the UFC

Brock fn Lesnar... :biggthump

Someone88
12-24-2011, 03:43 AM
I just watched countdown to UFC 141... They were jizzing that Brock is the fastest HW in the UFC

Brock fn Lesnar... :biggthump

Lesnar was a freak athlete, now he's still a great athlete but no way is he the fastest. Who do you think will win next week?

dan_cov
12-24-2011, 03:44 AM
Overeem is a very versatile fighter & people are saying he isn't quick, are you fcuking kidding me? This guy sure isn't as quick as he was at 205 but for a 6ft5'' 260 musclebound genetic beast he is lightning.

This is no 230lb'er having to kill himself to make 205 anymore. The guy is lethal & his stand up IMO probably is the best in MMA
When it comes to technicality it is leagues ahead of Juniors whose stand up is very effective yet rather basic.

Who else has his takedown defence, his handspeed, power, frontkicks, axekicks, knee's, clinches etc?
Watch HOW he sets his strikes up. It's textbook.

The guy is going to ragdoll Brock, people will say Brock was exposed by Cain & wasn't recovered from surgery etc
He'll then be JDS's mandatory
IMO it could swing either way but you watch people jump aboard the Reem train!

Win or lose, Overeem is an animal that should of earned everyones respect by now. What he did last year alone was unheard of & won't be repeated in a hurry.

Someone88
12-24-2011, 03:51 AM
Overeem is a very versatile fighter & people are saying he isn't quick, are you fcuking kidding me? This guy sure isn't as quick as he was at 205 but for a 6ft5'' 260 musclebound genetic beast he is lightning.

This is no 230lb'er having to kill himself to make 205 anymore. The guy is lethal & his stand up IMO probably is the best in MMA
When it comes to technicality it is leagues ahead of Juniors whose stand up is very effective yet rather basic.

Who else has his takedown defence, his handspeed, power, frontkicks, axekicks, knee's, clinches etc?
Watch HOW he sets his strikes up. It's textbook.

The guy is going to ragdoll Brock, people will say Brock was exposed by Cain & wasn't recovered from surgery etc
He'll then be JDS's mandatory
IMO it could swing either way but you watch people jump aboard the Reem train!

Win or lose, Overeem is an animal that should of earned everyones respect by now. What he did last year alone was unheard of & won't be repeated in a hurry.

If Lesnar is in form Overeem isn't rag dolling Lesnar he may beat him though

Marchegiano
12-24-2011, 09:39 AM
C'mon this is getting stupid.

monaroCountry
12-25-2011, 05:23 PM
I do consider The Reem one of the best stand up fighters in MMA and one of the most exciting dont get me wrong. I just consider JDS better because of his speed, he already matches Reem in height and power but Junior's speed is the deciding factor for me.

Hahahah quit sucking up to Zuffa you zombie.

JDS has never fought any top level strikers before. Doesnt matter how flashy he looks, the fact is that he hasnt shown the skills of even a mid level kickboxer and would get owned by anyone in the top 30 fighters in K-1 HW.

Someone88
12-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Hahahah quit sucking up to Zuffa you zombie.

JDS has never fought any top level strikers before. Doesnt matter how flashy he looks, the fact is that he hasnt shown the skills of even a mid level kickboxer and would get owned by anyone in the top 30 fighters in K-1 HW.

You overrate K-1 a lot just look at some of the fighters that have had some success there, Dos Santos could even win a K-1 GP if he focused on it

dan_cov
12-25-2011, 09:42 PM
You overrate K-1 a lot just look at some of the fighters that have had some success there, Dos Santos could even win a K-1 GP if he focused on it

Winning the K1 grand prix or even having good success is a totally different ballgame to knocking out wrestlers who opt to stand and trade.

ChampSince84
12-26-2011, 12:50 AM
I didnt know he was considered the best striker

Unknown Champ
12-29-2011, 04:16 AM
Id like to see Reem vs Big country, then Reem and JDS

New England
12-29-2011, 07:13 AM
overeem is technical
powerful
patient
very accurate

he's got the hardest knee's i've ever seen
huge kicks to the legs
huge punches up top
he can lead
he can counter

he can take a decent shot now that he's a true HW

the fact remains, MMA strikers just arent that good
overeem is currently the class of k-1 in the HW division.

you guys seriously think velazquez, carwin, lesnar, etc can compete//strike with guys like:

hari
schilt
spong
ghita
saki

or even aerts?

they'd get picked apart something awful. it would be like a boxer sparring with a MMA guy. after a couple rounds it turns into one guy wandering around the ring absorbing punishment

overeem has proven that he can not only compete with these guys but come out on top

big kibosh
femoral profunda. more hooks than a squid jig!
goodnight irene

New England
12-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Winning the K1 grand prix or even having good success is a totally different ballgame to knocking out wrestlers who opt to stand and trade.

lol not to mention they square up and bum rush you a few times each round

the reem's going to drop one knee

or just SHED the first guy who tries to take him down (the reem is strong enough to forego sprawling and will simply push an opponent down to the ground and away. he's unbelievably strong. stronger than lesnar in terms of MMA and fighting strength.)

and all the UFC fanboys will be on his cuck

monaroCountry
12-31-2011, 01:32 AM
To all the zombies.

I told ya so!!!

Flab
12-31-2011, 01:39 AM
That was before the horse meat.

Called it!