View Full Version : Could any MW in history stop Hagler?

Forza
12-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Past or present could anyone stop hagler by K.O or TKO? I don't think so.

"you better hit me with that ring post because I ain't going nowhere "

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OKAI2awNgr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DarkTerror88
12-19-2011, 11:12 PM
I think that left hook from robison v fullmer II finishes most MWs or basically pyts em on edge for the rest of the night.

Forza
12-20-2011, 12:28 AM
could he land that shot on hagler though?

TAC602
12-20-2011, 12:36 AM
At MW? No, I seriously doubt it. Cast Iron.

joseph5620
12-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Past or present could anyone stop hagler by K.O or TKO? I don't think so.

"you better hit me with that ring post because I ain't going nowhere "

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OKAI2awNgr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In my opinion, no.

Toney Loc
12-20-2011, 01:09 AM

I doubt it. Left Hooks usually don't land in the same angle against southpaws as they do on orthodox fighters.

New England
12-20-2011, 07:14 AM
of course

anybody can get knocked out

hagler had three things going for him that kept him from even getting wobbled regularly

1: his chin
2. conditioning
3: he rarely if ever made serious mistakes (like the one fullmer had to make to walk into a hook like robinsons

if he walked into a couple more right hands from hearns he would have been ready to go
BUT HE DIDN'T

so yes, some of the big punchers // finishers certainly have the potential to stop him
but he'd likely be too crafty and have too sturdy of a chin.

i dont care how good your chin is, if you walk into flush bombs for multiple rounds from legendary punchers at MW (jackson, hearns, benn, mcclellan, briscoe, robinson, etc) you are getting stopped

these are MW and not small guys.

hagler, in addition to a legendary chin, was far too crafty for that.
he was also supremely conditioned, the anti stoppage.
he was actually a pretty slick guy when the fight called for it.

Tiozzo
12-20-2011, 07:20 AM
of course

anybody can get knocked out

hagler had three things going for him that kept him from even getting wobbled regularly

1: his chin
2. conditioning
3: he rarely if ever made serious mistakes (like the one fullmer had to make to walk into a hook like robinsons

if he walked into a couple more right hands from hearns he would have been ready to go
BUT HE DIDN'T

so yes, some of the big punchers // finishers certainly have the potential to stop him
but he'd likely be too crafty and have too sturdy of a chin.

i dont care how good your chin is, if you walk into flush bombs for multiple rounds from legendary punchers at MW (jackson, hearns, benn, mcclellan, briscoe, robinson, etc) you are getting stopped

these are MW and not small guys.

hagler, in addition to a legendary chin, was far too crafty for that.
he was also supremely conditioned, the anti stoppage.
he was actually a pretty slick guy when the fight called for it.

this is the only realistic post of the thread

god I hate it when people believe a fighter was unknockoutable just because he never been ko'ed

:bs2:

SBleeder
12-20-2011, 09:37 AM
You asked if anyone could KO or TKO him.

Anyone cand be knocked out, and anyone can be stopped on cuts.

A guy like Monzon, for instance, with his laser accuracy, could have opened up a cut and keep pounding it until the fight is stopped.

Kid McCoy
12-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Sam Langford would be the best bet. Marvin took enough big shots from hard hitters in his career to make it unlikely anyone else KOs him. Cuts is more likely as he did have a few notable ones.

It's possible that Fullmer shot could take him out, but that was really a freak once-in-a-lifetime Hail Mary shot that Robinson was unable to replicate in their other three fights.

GoogleMe
12-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Many could - but many would never land that shot.

I'd say Monzon & Julian Jackson might have had the better shots. Roy could maybe head for a TKO.

jabsRstiff
12-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Anything's possible, but if you want to talk what's likely or not likely-

Doubt anyone stops Hagler. It's more than just his iron chin, it's the fact that there's no one middleweight in history who could dominate him enough to stop him. Maybe you think a guy like Monzon beats him, but you know it wouldn't be easy in any way for Carlos...

BigStereotype
12-20-2011, 03:37 PM
If he stood on the ropes and let a dude tee off on him for 12-15 rounds, sure. He could get KOed. His chin was phenomenal, but nobody is invincible. But if he fights his fight, I don't see anybody doing it. It's possible, but in the same way that a meteor destroying my house tonight is possible.

The Surgeon
12-20-2011, 03:58 PM
If Gerald McClellan landed a few Booming Rights up top and came back with those VICIOUS (and perhaps most under rated ever) left hooks Downstairs then who knows... Hagler is only Human....

What would most likely happen? The Right hands would struggle to land, the few that did would bounce off of him and the body shots wouldnt come, Then Hagler just plain merks him.

McGoorty
12-21-2011, 10:59 AM
I think that left hook from robison v fullmer II finishes most MWs or basically pyts em on edge for the rest of the night.
I absolutely agree, that was a hell of a hook.

McGoorty
12-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I doubt if there was anyone that Ray Robinson couldn't hit............................................ --------- K.O. ?...... a bit hard to judge.

GoogleMe
12-21-2011, 02:01 PM
McClellan alsó comes to mind.

DiegoFuego
12-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Nobody KO's Hagler

jabsRstiff
12-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Hagler took the best punches of Hearns, Mugabi, and Cyclone Hart, and this proved that one punch (even by guys like J.Jackson and McClellan) wasn't likely to get him out of there. To take him out you'd have to be a huge puncher who is also unbelievably skilled and tough enough to do it....and NO ONE's been that good.

Forza
12-21-2011, 04:56 PM
I know anyone can be knocked out and yes if hagler had his hands tied behind his back and his chin pushed out, a lot of MW's could eventually K.O him.

But in the heat of battle, with hagler fighting back at you I just don't see anyone stopping him. It would take one hell of a shot, followed by a barrage of power punches to stop him.

I believe the uppercut mugabi landed on him would've stopped almost any MW

BIg Smoke
12-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Nobody.

I wouldn't even bet on Julian Jackson to KO him.

Forza
12-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Nobody.

I wouldn't even bet on Julian Jackson to KO him.

I agree. But JJ had the power to K.O any man on the planet. But would he land that right hook? No, hagler K.O's him. Same with the G man

NChristo
12-21-2011, 09:39 PM
I agree. But JJ had the power to K.O any man on the planet. But would he land that right hook? No, hagler K.O's him. Same with the G man

Hagler isn't ko'ing McClellan.

F l i c k e r
12-21-2011, 10:24 PM
No one thinks Roy Jones Jr could? Where is Reed? lol

McGoorty
12-22-2011, 01:52 AM
LOL,,, where is Trojansbaby.. lol.

jabsRstiff
12-22-2011, 07:54 AM

Roy was powerful and unbelievably good. But, he'd never commit to getting Hagler out of there and still wouldn't be able to doing so if he did commit.

Roy couldn't KO Hopkins, and Hopkins was not as tough as Hagler at 160 (Hagler doesn't touch the canvas twice against the Segundo Mercado's of the world).

wmute
12-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Harry Greb

On Cuts

And I mean that's the MW who would most likely be able to do it.

BennyST
12-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Yes, someone could I'm sure, but whether they would is another story entirely. I don't anyone would KO him, even if they could.

Barn
12-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Yes, someone could I'm sure, but whether they would is another story entirely. I don't anyone would KO him, even if they could.
I don't believe so, unless Monzon threw him off a balcony post fight.

He's too good defensively, watch the way he slips and parries almost every punch thrown at him. I feel he gets horribly under-rated defensively for not being spectacular like Pep, Whitaker, Mayweather etc. It might not be very noticeable but, he had a very good defence that got the job done. It's also worth noting that like most great fighters, any shot that did land was rolled with to negate most of the power.

Lets not also forget his famous granite chin which has been talked about enough in this thread.

And Harry Greb on cuts? I know it's plausible as a cut stoppage is basically possible in any fight but, with Harry Greb having the much shorter reach he is going to have to work his way inside to hit Hagler and land to cut him. Although I've not seen Greb on film I've read he was very wild and wild shots coupled with Haglers jab is not going to end well at all.

Greatest1942
12-24-2011, 03:33 PM
It would be mighty difficult...I will give few a shot...a middleweight version of Sam Langford, knocked out guys much heavier than him and Fitz, who knocked out heavies with a single punch...If either catch marvin Hagler he will be in trouble ( that doesn't mean knocked out though)

Barn
12-24-2011, 03:39 PM
It would be mighty difficult...I will give few a shot...a middleweight version of Sam Langford, knocked out guys much heavier than him and Fitz, who knocked out heavies with a single punch...If either catch marvin Hagler he will be in trouble ( that doesn't mean knocked out though)
Shame Hagler would land almost every punch he threw against Fitz.

CarlosG815
12-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Roy Jones Jr.

Barn
12-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Roy Jones Jr.
By what means?

CarlosG815
12-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Tremendous speed and power, and probably the hardest boxer in the history of the sport to hit. I believe he actually fought rounds that he never got punched.

Roy Jones is capable of stopping any middleweight in the history of boxing IMO.

Greatest1942
12-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Shame Hagler would land almost every punch he threw against Fitz.

As did Corbett who was a heavyweight...it wasn't easy to put away Fitz just like that...It took some rounds for even Jim Jefrries to do that. Now Hagler might hit harder P4P but overall I will still give it to heavyweights.

Fitz had the power to stop any middleweight. If he catches Hagler it won't be a cake walk. But at the same token I won't bet on that happening.

BennyST
12-29-2011, 02:30 AM
Tremendous speed and power, and probably the hardest boxer in the history of the sport to hit. I believe he actually fought rounds that he never got punched.

Roy Jones is capable of stopping any middleweight in the history of boxing IMO.

Like he stopped Jorge Castro and Hopkins and Toney etc? Castro was pretty iron chinned, not as much as Hagler and he was much easier to hit. Jones, by your thinking, should have been able to stop him easily. He certainly tried, but couldn't.

He wouldn't stop Hagler. Might stun him once or twice early on with his speed, but would never stop him. Just as he couldn't stop Toney or Hopkins or De Valle and I've seen Toney hurt more than Hagler at 160. Fermin Chirino got stopped pretty easily by a lot of guys, but Jones couldn't stop him.

Like I said earlier, it's possible to stop anyone, but there are some fighters who just wouldn't be stopped. I'm positive that Hagler was one of the few guys that would never be stopped in any era against any fighter.

TBear
12-29-2011, 05:46 AM
In my opinion there was no middleweight in history that could of.

EMACULATE
12-29-2011, 06:00 AM
In my opinion there was no middleweight in history that could of.
Charley Burley, Roy Jones, James Toney and Julian Jackson all had a great shot of stopping mr Hagler.

Barn
12-29-2011, 06:23 AM
As did Corbett who was a heavyweight...it wasn't easy to put away Fitz just like that...It took some rounds for even Jim Jefrries to do that. Now Hagler might hit harder P4P but overall I will still give it to heavyweights.

Fitz had the power to stop any middleweight. If he catches Hagler it won't be a cake walk. But at the same token I won't bet on that happening.
Corbett wasn't a true Heavyweight was he though he could have easily fit into the LHW frame today. Also I don't remember Corbett ever being renowned for punching power.

Jeffries lacked one thing Hagler had and that was skill and precision.

Barn
12-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Charley Burley, Roy Jones, James Toney and Julian Jackson all had a great shot of stopping mr Hagler.
I could see Jackson, purely for the fact he hit so hard I'm not ruling anything out. I could also see Roy Jones but, it wouldn't be via 10 count. Most likely cut stoppage.

Burely and Toney I don't see none were exceptional power punchers or had the aggression to wear Hagler down to a TKO victory.

CarlosG815
12-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Like he stopped Jorge Castro and Hopkins and Toney etc? Castro was pretty iron chinned, not as much as Hagler and he was much easier to hit. Jones, by your thinking, should have been able to stop him easily. He certainly tried, but couldn't.

He wouldn't stop Hagler. Might stun him once or twice early on with his speed, but would never stop him. Just as he couldn't stop Toney or Hopkins or De Valle and I've seen Toney hurt more than Hagler at 160. Fermin Chirino got stopped pretty easily by a lot of guys, but Jones couldn't stop him.

Like I said earlier, it's possible to stop anyone, but there are some fighters who just wouldn't be stopped. I'm positive that Hagler was one of the few guys that would never be stopped in any era against any fighter.

Like you said "It is possible" and I believe Roy "Could" stop the guys you mentioned above. He didn't, but I do believe he could, as I believe he could stop Hagler.

New England
12-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Other than Jermain Taylor?

i'd have to think about it.