View Full Version : Best boxer ever???

oztheuzi
12-19-2011, 07:37 PM
If you had to pick 1 fighter to claim was the BEST in the history of boxing, who would it be and why?
My 3 choices are:
Mike Tyson
Floyd Mayweather
Muhammed Ali

I think the reasons are obvious.
Honorable mentions go to:
Oscar de la Hoya
Manny Pacquiao
George Foreman
Joe Frazier
Roberto Duran

SBleeder
12-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Sven Ottke
SVEN OTTKE
SVEN OTTKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sugar Ray Robinson might be good enough for an honorable mention.

JAB5239
12-20-2011, 06:47 AM
If you had to pick 1 fighter to claim was the BEST in the history of boxing, who would it be and why?
My 3 choices are:
Mike Tyson
Floyd Mayweather
Muhammed Ali

Oscar de la Hoya
Manny Pacquiao
George Foreman
Joe Frazier
Roberto Duran

Besides Duran, none of them make the top 10. Im assuming this is a pound for pound list since Frazier, Foreman, Pac and Tyson shouldn't be anywhere near a "best boxers" list.

New England
12-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Sven Ottke
SVEN OTTKE
SVEN OTTKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sugar Ray Robinson might be good enough for an honorable mention.

i need more posts like this in my life

boxing sucks

Mr. President
12-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Floyd "Money" Mayweather, Ali, and Sugar Ray Robinson.

Barnburner
12-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Greb.
Langford.
Robinson.
Armstrong.
Charles.

Take your pick.

GoogleMe
12-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Besides Duran, none of them make the top 10. Im assuming this is a pound for pound list since Frazier, Foreman, Pac and Tyson shouldn't be anywhere near a "best boxers" list.
Besides Duran? Ah - I'd rate Ali higher than Duran.

oztheuzi
12-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Besides Duran? Ah - I'd rate Ali higher than Duran.
I have to agree with that. Duran is a great fighter, but Ali was AMAZING, and he did a lot to make boxing a more popular sport.

Cordpray
12-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Thread title says "Best boxer ever" which according to the English language, is singular, yet somehow, looking at the post, it becomes plural

Thread title should be "Best boxers ever" or basically "Your favorite boxers" because there's no such thing as the "best boxer ever" because everybody has differing opinions about the best boxer ever

Joe Louis, Sugar Ray, Ali, Tyson, Mayweather, Pacquiao, it all varies

McGoorty
12-24-2011, 02:43 AM
My 3 choices are:
Mike Tyson
Floyd Mayweather
Muhammed Ali

Oscar de la Hoya
Manny Pacquiao
George Foreman
Joe Frazier
Roberto Duran
The reasons are obvious, are they ???.. well not to me,,, Tyson ????.... Mayweather ????

Marchegiano
12-24-2011, 12:12 PM
me *****. And I do mean the fella at the KB not in the pic.....he's cool too.

Probably, knowledge wise. The boxer with the biggest bag-o-tricks is good ol Gypsy Mace

TAC602
12-24-2011, 09:30 PM
With all specific criteria absent? Roberto Duran and Salvador Sanchez.

This feels like a "Who's your favorite fighter?" question

CarlosG815
12-24-2011, 10:15 PM
My 3 choices are:
Mike Tyson
Floyd Mayweather
Muhammed Ali

Oscar de la Hoya
Manny Pacquiao
George Foreman
Joe Frazier
Roberto Duran

Henry Armstrong fought and beat the who's who in a time where there was no ducking and dodging for a black man who wanted to hold a title. He held titles in 3 or 4 weight classes at one time and would move up and down in weight to defend his titles. "Homicide Hank" is probably the best boxer ever.

NChristo
12-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Henry Armstrong fought and beat the who's who in a time where there was no ducking and dodging for a black man who wanted to hold a title.

Burley and Williams ?.
Not taking anything away from him obviously he's definitely got an argument for this spot, just saying.

TAC602
12-24-2011, 11:38 PM
You could duck plenty back then. There were no mandatories. And unbelievably, mandatories are largely a phenomenal joke and have contributed to ruining the sport when they are not the deserving challenger(s).

The Ring and Lineal Championships are where its at. In Henry's day of course, the world title was the lineal title. There was but one.

SBleeder
12-25-2011, 05:45 PM
The Ring and Lineal Championships are where its at. In Henry's day of course, the world title was the lineal title. There was but one.

Baloney. The IBF Interim Junior Lightweight Diamond Title dates back to ancient Rome.

TAC602
12-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Baloney. The IBF Interim Junior Lightweight Diamond Title dates back to ancient Rome.

:lol1:

These guys have all but destroyed the credibility of being a 'World Champion'. It's also taken almost all the luster out of being a multi-division champ. What, with 17 weight classes and four "major" titles per.. More than double the number of divisions while quadrupling the number of titles to go around. :bs2:

That's not to say there haven't been some absolutely superb fighters in the sub-divisions: Gomez @ 122, Arguello @ 130, Chavez and Pryor @ 140.

I'll admit that things were bearable in hindsight, historically, with two sanctioning bodies. But the need for a third... a fourth... totally unacceptable.

Barnburner
12-25-2011, 10:10 PM
:lol1:

These guys have all but destroyed the credibility of being a 'World Champion'. It's also taken almost all the luster out of being a multi-division champ. What, with 17 weight classes and four "major" titles per.. More than double the number of divisions while quadrupling the number of titles to go around. :bs2:

That's not to say there haven't been some absolutely superb fighters in the sub-divisions: Gomez @ 122, Arguello @ 130, Chavez and Pryor @ 140.

I'll admit that things were bearable in hindsight, historically, with two sanctioning bodies. But the need for a third... a fourth... totally unacceptable.
I could deal with 3. In fact I still only take 3 of them seriously.

WBA
WBC
IBF.

JAB5239
12-26-2011, 07:55 AM
I could deal with 3. In fact I still only take 3 of them seriously.

WBA
WBC
IBF.

They're all inconsistent and make major blunders regularly so I can't take any of them seriously any more. All the titles need to be consolidated into one and boxing's popularity will rise.

Barnburner
12-26-2011, 08:02 AM
They're all inconsistent and make major blunders regularly so I can't take any of them seriously any more. All the titles need to be consolidated into one and boxing's popularity will rise.
Not completely seriously but, when I hear WBC Champion I think, you know that's a good belt. When I hear a WBO Champion I think, that's not as good a belt.

JAB5239
12-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Not completely seriously but, when I hear WBC Champion I think, you know that's a good belt. When I hear a WBO Champion I think, that's not as good a belt.

I agree that is going to be most people's perception from having the WBC held up so high for so long. But upon closer inspection, this isn't always the case. I totally get what you mean though.

nachorjj
12-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Roy Jones Jr
Pernell Whittaker
Ray Leonard/Floyd Mayweather

El Pistolero
12-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Muhammad Ali

Barnburner
12-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Roy Jones Jr
Pernell Whittaker
Ray Leonard/Floyd Mayweather
Ironically the same as your all time favourites.

New England
12-26-2011, 12:35 PM
ray robinson commonly earns the nomination of the best fighter of all time because he lacked flaws

he had no shortcomings, especially at WW

he had a true granite chin in every sense of the word (take a BOMB, hold on and shake the dust off, and then fire back within a few seconds type of chin. one of the best ever.)
he was a geniune knockout puncher with one of the best left hooks ever and a very versatile and strong right hand
and he was very big (a 5'11 ww with a LHW's reach with a same day weigh in) fast of hand, foot, and upper body and had terrific skills

no flaws
speed
skills
size
punch
chin

oh and gas tank
he used to hurl himself around the ring with his combinations. it to
ok a LHW hall of famer in 110 degree conditions to tire him out after 13 rounds

TAC602
12-26-2011, 02:42 PM

This.

The ironic thing is that for much of the 'World Title' time span, there were two sanctioning bodies: NBA (the WBA) and NYSAC (formed into part of the WBC) and they almost always had the same champion for a good 40+ years. The splitting and stripping business started (most notably) when the WBA took Muhammad Ali's title for having a rematch with Liston if I'm not mistaken.

I've honestly always paid more attention to the The Ring/Lineal Champion to be honest. When people discuss history, contenders and rated fighters, they use the Ring's rankings: not the WBC's or WBA's.

gibo
12-27-2011, 12:13 AM
My 3 choices are:
Mike Tyson
Floyd Mayweather
Muhammed Ali

Oscar de la Hoya
Manny Pacquiao
George Foreman
Joe Frazier
Roberto Duran

delahoja??????

Barnburner
12-27-2011, 06:32 AM
My 3 choices are:
Mike Tyson
Floyd Mayweather
Muhammed Ali

Oscar de la Hoya
Manny Pacquiao
George Foreman
Joe Frazier
Roberto Duran
Ali and Duran are the only people from that list near to the Greatest, unless you take into account H2H almost completely.

Greatest1942
12-28-2011, 08:56 PM
From the guys I saw actually on film SRR easily, he was quick, had a great chin, had very good KO power in both hands , had great foot work...in all he was the closest to the complete fighter, I saw on film.