View Full Version : Pound-for-Pound Biggest Punchers in Boxing History

P4P Opinion
12-13-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm interested to see who people think are the heaviest handed fighters in history. I've been watching fights and highlight reels of two big contenders in Naseem Hamed and Joe Louis recently. It's frightening how much power some fighters have. Power can be a complete game changer in any fight.

Anyway, nominate a fighter and argue your case. I'll nominate someone and put forward a case a bit later.

Cassius Liston
12-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm interested to see who people think are the heaviest handed fighters in history. I've been watching fights and highlight reels of two big contenders in Naseem Hamed and Joe Louis recently. It's frightening how much power some fighters have. Power can be a complete game changer in any fight.

Anyway, nominate a fighter and argue your case. I'll nominate someone and put forward a case a bit later.

George Foreman ,Mike Tyson...my mind hasgone a bit blank and I'll probably get crucified for this but Arther Abraham always has me on the edge of my seat because of what he did to Jermain Taylor,looked like he threw a breeze block at him

BigStereotype
12-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Pipino Cuevas, Thomas Hearns, Stanley Ketchel, Ray Robinson, George Foreman, Julian Jackson (prob number 1), Naseem Hamed

TAC602
02-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Julian Jackson, Mike Tyson, Thomas Hearns, George Foreman, Wilfredo Gomez, Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, Sonny Liston.

Yeah, damn straight I'm reeling off heavyweights. That type of power knows no limit. Sorry, reality.

Barn
02-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Sam Langford! Bob Fitzsimmons! Joe Louis!

Good shout with Gomez. :fing02:

Young Money
02-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Bob Fitzsimmons, Jimmy Wilde

TAC602
02-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Hah, damn it bb, was just about to say "Langford and Fitz deserve a big shout too" but you were fast on that trigger. Those two could top Such a list, but I opted to stick to fighters on film.

Wilfredo was indeed scary powerful @ 122. Zarate at Bantam as well.

Barn
02-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Hah, damn it bb, was just about to say "Langford and Fitz deserve a big shout too" but you were fast on that trigger. Those two could top Such a list, but I opted to stick to fighters on film.

There's some nice footage of Sam Langford making a ragdoll of Jeanette and Lang. I have a highlight of Langford if you haven't seen it yet.

TAC602
02-17-2012, 09:47 PM
The 24 min one? Believe I have. That was the film that surfaced that showed Langford really knew what he was doing in the ring. A few people had been dissapointed with the previous lower quality stuff that was available beforehand.

Would love to see him 1-punch KO Harry Wills.

joseph5620
02-17-2012, 09:48 PM

Based on what I have read ( I have seen a little of Langford) those would be my picks. Based on what I have seen,Thomas Hearns, who seemed to take KO power in every division he fought in.

nomadman
02-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Cuevas, Jackson, Abraham and Tua. There are more but those are the first four names that spring to mind. Am starting to get a much better respect for Abe's power now that I realise what a limited fighter he is. The dude has a great equalizer in his fists. The Gevor and Taylor knockouts are just pure undistilled power:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XGQfadN_10Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c_IvomOSbjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Marchegiano
02-18-2012, 12:16 AM
How does my man Rocco get no love here. Easily one of the hardest hitting lighter HWs to ever lace.

NP Dempsey was a hell of a hitter as well.

VIPrice
02-18-2012, 03:02 AM
shavers, tyson, louis, foreman, liston, dempsey, marciano, foster, duran(?), hearns, robinson, cuevas, fitz, langford, ketchel, i believe valero deserves a mention, bob satterfield (perhaps), artie levine (perhaps), julian jackson, i think tua deserves a mention if only for his left hook, gmclellan? nigel benn?

Barn
02-18-2012, 08:38 AM
The 24 min one? Believe I have. That was the film that surfaced that showed Langford really knew what he was doing in the ring. A few people had been dissapointed with the previous lower quality stuff that was available beforehand.

Would love to see him 1-punch KO Harry Wills.
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MuOXZ0yzKao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nah, it's a highlight of all his fights. :)

The Surgeon
02-18-2012, 11:37 AM
I'll tell u a guy i have seen score a Bunch of SPECTACULAR 1 punch KO's and a guy who based solely on single shot force deserves a mention - Wayne Alexander!

Jimmy Tibbs says he hit way harder than Nigel Benn, no mean feat and Tibbs has no agenda

Sugarj
02-18-2012, 12:11 PM
I'll tell u a guy i have seen score a Bunch of SPECTACULAR 1 punch KO's and a guy who based solely on single shot force deserves a mention - Wayne Alexander!

Jimmy Tibbs says he hit way harder than Nigel Benn, no mean feat and Tibbs has no agenda

I remember him....yea, a heavy handed sod!

The Surgeon
02-18-2012, 12:16 PM
I remember him....yea, a heavy handed sod!

He Absolutely FLATTENED some guy on a Hatton Card i was at, think it was the Maussa one, not sure.... But man the guy was Air Born and u heard that Smack when Alexander connected.

His KO of Takaloo was another blinder!

Wayne was kinda odd, he'd hit guys and they would take it then BOOM they were stone cold with one shot the next time ....

nomadman
02-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Great pick! Totally forgot about that guy.

Ezra Sellers was another undercover power puncher. He one-shotted Carl Williams about four times and knocked him out on the fourth. Got knocked down about three times himself. Crazy fight.

The Surgeon
02-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Great pick! Totally forgot about that guy.

Ezra Sellers was another undercover power puncher. He one-shotted Carl Williams about four times and knocked him out on the fourth. Got knocked down about three times himself. Crazy fight.
Good call and Great fight! Thompson was thrill a minute - what heart and toughness he had as David Haye found out....

Danny Lopez could Bang with the best too

The_Demon
02-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Tsyzu and Bailey are two guys that havent been mentioned,both had huge power in the right

New England
02-18-2012, 08:56 PM
to add a couple to the pot:

bob foster

gerald mcclellan

vic darchinyan (say what you want about the guy, at the lower weights he was a hellish puncher)

naseem hamed

nigel benn

jimmy wilde

barbados walcott

Scott9945
02-18-2012, 10:37 PM
At their very best, Alexis Arguello and Felix Trinidad had deadly power. Carlos Zarate was the hardest puncher that I ever saw live.

mickey malone
02-19-2012, 05:40 AM
Some great choices already made in this thread, but i think worth an honourable mention is 40's lightweight champ, Lew Jenkins who was a monster puncher with either hand..

nomadman
02-19-2012, 11:37 AM
vic darchinyan (say what you want about the guy, at the lower weights he was a hellish puncher)

No need to qualify IMO, Vic's a great choice. His punches routinely sounded like shotgun blasts going off. Because of his weird crouching style and the way he wound up his arms it allowed him to really load up on his shots. What he did to Burgos was hellish and it was to Burgos's ultimate detriment that he didn't go down sooner.

The Surgeon
02-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Some great choices already made in this thread, but i think worth an honourable mention is 40's lightweight champ, Lew Jenkins who was a monster puncher with either hand..

Great shout Mickey, Lew was such a puncher! Im sure he laid someone out on the WAY to the ring once too if im not mistaken!?? Am I?

He was mad thats for sure!

mickey malone
02-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Great shout Mickey, Lew was such a puncher! Im sure he laid someone out on the WAY to the ring once too if im not mistaken!?? Am I?

He was mad thats for sure!
Yes, i think it happened just before he fought Tippy larkin..

Jenkins had already ktfo of a crowd heckler b4 doing the same to larkin..

Lew was one helluva livewire who often fought in bars and on the streets.

I

nomadman
02-21-2012, 12:14 AM
On the subject of undercover power punchers what about Juan Roldan? Only man to floor Hagler to my knowledge, and just a massive puncher for his weight. His upper body belonged to a light heavyweight. Huge chest.

Barn
02-21-2012, 04:09 AM
On the subject of undercover power punchers what about Juan Roldan? Only man to floor Hagler to my knowledge, and just a massive puncher for his weight. His upper body belonged to a light heavyweight. Huge chest.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/relcoh/GIF/image-47.gif

not.a.knockdown!

jabsRstiff
02-21-2012, 09:23 AM
The guy in my avatar is the biggest puncher in history.

He flattened guys at a world class level with one-punch, and did it with both hands and in some fights in which he looked to be outclassed. His KO blows and body blows sounded different than everyone else's, and when he KO'd someone, he really knocked them out.

Hitman Hodgson
02-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Herbie Hide, Hamed, Julian Jackson and David Haye off the top of my head.

nomadman
02-21-2012, 07:12 PM
not.a.knockdown!

Sorry, my mistake. What do you think of his power though?

Barn
02-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Sorry, my mistake. What do you think of his power though?
Not to worry, I've been the White Knight of Marvin Hagler recently .Yeah he was a powerful guy. Big strong gorilla type body. Hard to go up against on the inside and gave Hagler a bit of bother.

kiDynamite92
02-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Julian Jackson, Errnie Shavers, Mike Tyson, Sonny Liston, George Foreman, Roberto Duran, Tommy Hearns, Joe Louis