View Full Version : top 10 pound for pound most devastating punchers

DarkTerror88
12-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Not hardest hitters necessarily. :boxing:

Steak
12-13-2011, 01:06 AM
-Pipino Cuevas: Broke bones on a regular basis, and against the best opposition available to him I might add.
-Julian Jackson: Devastating KO power, in a flash he could have you knocked out.
-Thomas Hearns: Was still considered a big puncher even after moving up to Light Heavyweight. His right hand was death, and in general he was an offensive machine
-Ernie Shavers: Considered by many the hardest puncher of all time. Its just not fair not to add him, even if he wasnt the best fighter around.
-George Foreman: 2nd hardest puncher in history, except he pulled it off on excellent opposition and still had it even in his mid 40s.
-Felix Trinidad: A hell of a left hook, not only with power but excellent placement. His right hand was plenty powerful enough to turn your lights out.
-Edwin Rosario: Most would leave him off this list, but the amount of explosive power he had was staggering, he could take durable fighters and turn them inside out like nothing. And this was with him on drugs and not training a lot of the time.
-Arthur Abraham: Im shocked to put him on this list, but the guy has some of the most devastating KOs Ive ever seen. Not to mention I dont think hes skilled at all, a lot of the things he does are very basic. He basically made it to the top with pure power.
-Bob Fitsimmons: I usually hate to put fighters I havent seen much of on any sort of list, but I have to make an exception here. Fitsimmons jumped around weight classes and still had nasty power, knocking out heavyweights(Some weighing 230+lbs) while only weighing around 160lbs.
-Sven Ottke: The hardest puncher on this list. Look at what he did to the iron jawed Anthony Mundine. Devastating.

honorable mention: Nigel Benn, Bob Foster, Alexis Arguello, Joe Louis, Ray Robinson, Wilfredo Gomez, Olivares, Matt Muhammad, McClellan, Wilde

JAB5239
12-13-2011, 06:50 AM
1. Julian Jackson
2. Thomas Hearns
3. Earnie Shavers
4. Pipino Quevas
5. Bob Foster
6. Naseem Hamed
7. Bob Fitzsimmons
8. George Foreman
9. Joe Louis
10. Alexis Aeguello

The Surgeon
12-13-2011, 07:02 AM
This is all very debatable but here's my take

Julian Jackson
Tommy Hearns
Gerald McClellan
Earnie Shavers
Wilfredo Gomez
Danny Lopez
George Foreman
Joe Louis
Naseem Hamed
Mike Tyson

joseph5620
12-13-2011, 08:06 AM
1. Julian Jackson
2. Thomas Hearns
3. Earnie Shavers
4. Pipino Quevas
5. Bob Foster
6. Naseem Hamed
7. Bob Fitzsimmons
8. George Foreman
9. Joe Louis
10. Alexis Aeguello

Great list jab.Can't argue with that .

NChristo
12-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Not in order, didn't want too include Heavyweights really.

Tommy Hearns
Julian Jackson
Gerald McClellan
Archie Moore
Bob Foster
Alfonso Zamora
Pipino Cuevas
Michael Spinks
Alexis Arguello
Carlos Zarate

Harder then I thought it was going too be, still missed out Wilde, Ketchel, Saddler, Langford etc, ask me in half hour and it'd be completely different.

-Sven Ottke: The hardest puncher on this list. Look at what he did to the iron jawed Anthony Mundine. Devastating.
His power exceed that of a human, it would be an insult to compare him too such inferior boxers so I left him off. The only other man on that level is the one and only Charlie Zelenoff.

The Surgeon
12-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Tommy Hearns
Julian Jackson
Gerald McClellan
Archie Moore
Bob Foster
Alfonso Zamora
Pipino Cuevas
Michael Spinks
Alexis Arguello
Carlos Zarate

Harder then I thought it was going too be, still missed out Wilde, Ketchel, Saddler, Langford etc, ask me in half hour and it'd be completely different.

His power exceed that of a human, it would be an insult to compare him too such inferior boxers so I left him off. The only other man on that level is the one and only Charlie Zelenoff. Nice list, easy to forget what a puncher Spinks was.... Good call on him

If we are exluding heavys i'll drop Foreman, Shavers, Louis and Tyson in favour of

Cuevas
Trinidad
Ketchel
Olivares

Edit: i just went for a drink from the fridge and already im thinking about how can guys like Langford, Galaxy and Sugar Ray Robinson not make my cut! I'll stick with the original list though because i could keep changing it all day over and over!

jabsRstiff
12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Michael Spinks at 175 is incredibly overlooked as a power puncher. At that weight, he's one of the greatest punchers I've ever seen.

Ben Bolt
12-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Argentinan jr welter Cesar Cuenca (active today).

Nah, just joking, but his record is kind of astonishing:
42-0 with 1 (!) kayo.

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=129817&cat=boxer

joseph5620
12-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Michael Spinks at 175 is incredibly overlooked as a power puncher. At that weight, he's one of the greatest punchers I've ever seen.

Michael Spinks was a very hard punches at 175, I agree .

joseph5620
12-13-2011, 12:49 PM

Jose Luis Lopez was a very hard puncher at 147. But he was also one dimensional .

IronDanHamza
12-13-2011, 02:34 PM

Tommy Hearns
Julian Jackson
Gerald McClellan
Archie Moore
Bob Foster
Alfonso Zamora
Pipino Cuevas
Michael Spinks
Alexis Arguello
Carlos Zarate

His power exceed that of a human, it would be an insult to compare him too such inferior boxers so I left him off. The only other man on that level is the one and only Charlie Zelenoff.

That's a nice Avatar.

Capaedia
12-14-2011, 04:22 AM
Now, since you distinguish between hardest hitting and most devastating, I would be hard pressed to put anyone ahead of Joe Louis.

Guys have hit harder, pound for pound, but not with the same consistency, accuracy, speed, set-up and suddeness which I think is almost unique to him.

dan_cov
12-14-2011, 04:50 AM
Tommy Hearns.
Bob Foster.
Mike Tyson.
Gerald McClellan.
Julian Jackson.
Sandy Saddler.
Alexis Arguello.
Antonio Esparragoza.
Ricardo Moreno.
Prince Naseem.

Honourable mentions... Arron Pryor, John Mugabi, Joe Louis, Felix Trinidad, Archie Moore, Alfonso Zamora.

jabsRstiff
12-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Now, since you distinguish between hardest hitting and most devastating, I would be hard pressed to put anyone ahead of Joe Louis.

Guys have hit harder, pound for pound, but not with the same consistency, accuracy, speed, set-up and suddeness which I think is almost unique to him.

I agree. Julian Jackson is the biggest hitter, lb4lb, I've ever seen. But, Joe Louis is the greatest offensive fighter in history.

▀ringer
12-14-2011, 08:42 AM
It seems most everybody I would think of for a "top 10 devestating punchers" list has already been mentioned multiple times, so allow me to throw some names out there that I've not seen mentioned yet, to promote discussion.

David Tua
Wilfredo Gomez
Max Baer
Vitali Klitschko
Frank Bruno
Sonny Liston
Khaosai Galaxy
Matthew Saad Muhammad
Salvador Sanchez
Julio Cesar Chavez

jabsRstiff
12-14-2011, 09:07 AM
It seems most everybody I would think of for a "top 10 devestating punchers" list has already been mentioned multiple times, so allow me to throw some names out there that I've not seen mentioned yet, to promote discussion.

David Tua
Wilfredo Gomez
Max Baer
Vitali Klitschko
Frank Bruno
Sonny Liston
Khaosai Galaxy
Matthew Saad Muhammad
Salvador Sanchez
Julio Cesar Chavez

Bringer...good stuff.

David Tua- The hardest hitter since Shavers (yes, harder than Tyson....just not nearly as good however)
Wilfredo Gomez- A complete fighter. Textbook power-puncher. Like Louis- he was an offensive machine
Max Baer- A naturally thundering hitter with his right hand.
Vitali Klitschko- Kinda heavy handed and punishing, but not a great puncher
Frank Bruno- Heavy handed, but his KOs slipped off dramatically when he stepped up in comp
Sonny Liston- One of the heaviest hitters in history. Every punch was loaded.
Khaosai Galaxy- Incredible one punch power in his left hand. Could end a fight with one left to the body or head
Matthew Saad Muhammad- Great right hand, which bailed him out very often. Left hand was pretty damn good, too.....see the left uppercut he took Lotte Mwale out with.
Salvador Sanchez- Doesn't rate. A decent puncher, but his accuracy and combinations were usually what got him a stoppage
Julio Cesar Chavez- Master of every punch. Not a one punch guy, but there have been few who could put 'em together like he did, to the body and head. He made most fighters WISH he'd have just numbed them with that one shot earlier on instead of sustaining horrendous beatings.

Cloud
12-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Ricardo Lopez - Maybe not one of the greatest punchers in history but a hard hitter.

Khaosai Galaxy - My favourite little fighter. I wish i had the man's shoulders...

SBleeder
12-14-2011, 12:09 PM
In no order:

Pipino Cuevas
Ricardo Lopez
Thomas Hearns
Wilfredo Gomez
Julian Jackson
Sonny Liston
Sam Langford
Archie Moore
Jimmy Wilde
Joe Louis

Sven Ottke: The hardest puncher on this list. Look at what he did to the iron jawed Anthony Mundine. Devastating.

I just assumed that he was a given.

SBleeder
12-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Ricardo Lopez - Maybe not one of the greatest punchers in history but a hard hitter.

IMO he is one of the greatest punchers of all time. He's on my top 10 list above.

Cloud
12-14-2011, 12:16 PM
IMO he is one of the greatest punchers of all time. He's on my top 10 list above.

I think i say that because id put plenty of guys above him as far as power punching goes.

I just thought...Finito was a great puncher, hows his name not been thrown around all that much?

jabsRstiff
12-14-2011, 12:44 PM
I think i say that because id put plenty of guys above him as far as power punching goes.

I just thought...Finito was a great puncher, hows his name not been thrown around all that much?

Lopez was capable of ending or turning around a fight with any punch, at any time. Definitely a great puncher.

New England
12-16-2011, 05:59 PM

and he usually threw two instead of one.

his mastery of distance and offensive timing (the real keys in effective power punching,) is equal or greater than any other fighter. the only other name you see frequently mentioned in this regard is robinson.

he gets my vote certainly for the most potent offensive fighter of all time
and given his weight, the most devastating man ever in a boxing ring.

probably the most complete and brutal offensive fighter ever.

joseph5620
12-16-2011, 06:21 PM

I have to mention Felix Trinidad because some of his KO's left fighters in a heap. His wins over Blocker, Vargas, and Campas were pretty brutal.

Overtime
12-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Gary Lockett

New England
12-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Gary Lockett

classic.

classico.

Shabba Rank$
12-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Julian Jackson
Gerald McClellan

!!

Boxing Bob
12-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Lotsa good choices out there and I'm too lazy to make a list, but Bob Foster was the most devastating puncher I ever watched

studentofthegam
12-18-2011, 01:37 AM
When I think devistating my mind automatically goes to violence. No particular order.

J. Jackson
Tyson
SRR
Tua
Foreman
Hearns
Kirkland
Louis
Mercer
Okay FFS Hamed (I hate adding him to any list other than duck lists)

No offense to the golden age but if I cant see it then I cant say devistating. These guys made me say "Daaaaammmn he whoopin his ass"