View Full Version : JDS vs Overeem standup

Ring Leader
11-26-2011, 05:06 PM
I keep hearing people say Overeem has better stand up but I just dont see it. Overeem has won a K1 grand prix but applying that to MMA is a different story. Bob Sapp won a K1 grand prix ffs. Overeem is slow with no cardio. Imo JDS has quicker hands with the better punches. Overeem carries too much muscle at the moment

ƒallenloki
11-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Inside of Round 1 Overeem easy.

Overeem's stand-up is good but not stellar. JDS, while powerful, remains very easy to hit and predictable.

Ring Leader
11-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Inside of Round 1 Overeem easy.

Overeem's stand-up is good but not stellar. JDS, while powerful, remains very easy to hit and predictable.

Overeem is easy to hit as well, Werdum was outlanding him the whole fight. JDS predictable? Overeem just stands in one place and plods, not to mention not head movement what so ever

Still dont get the hype, he beats guys like James thompson and a Todd Duffee who wasnt even in great shape and is called the next big thing

Harry Balls
11-26-2011, 10:00 PM
jds is a better mma-striker. Mostle due to being fearless and willing to throw shots.

overeem just looks scared and tentative when not fighting bums in mma. He looks much better as a kickboxer in kickboxing fights.

bob sapp won a regional grand prix. Not the world grand prix finals like overeem.

-Swizzy-
11-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Overeem is easy to hit as well, Werdum was outlanding him the whole fight. JDS predictable? Overeem just stands in one place and plods, not to mention not head movement what so ever

Still dont get the hype, he beats guys like James thompson and a Todd Duffee who wasnt even in great shape and is called the next big thing

yet another mention of Werdum out striking Overeem :sad:

Todd Duffee was out of shape, really? How good a shape do you need to be in for a 20 second fight? lol

Overeem is the real deal.

ƒallenloki
11-27-2011, 01:52 AM

No, but I'm sure you can't be convinced otherwise.

When he styles all over JDS after the Brock fight we'll see.

Marchegiano
11-27-2011, 08:03 AM
LoL JDS has a ton of good qualities that suggest he could beat Overeem in a complete stand-up challenge. However, you've not touched on a single one.

The subject isn't childish, but c'mon man. How the **** am I supposed to respond? Junior's real chance is in his traits not his skills. If this was a contest to see who can throw what strikes with text book perfection JDS would have no chance. He's got a nice uppercut, a ton of power, and more chin I think. As far as technical prowess if you can't ****ing watch AO fight and JDS fight and tell who's been training longer I can't ****ing help you....it's very obvious.

I know it's only novel, but um. Bob Sapp is too much beef-cake for the UFC to put in their cage. So is Butterbean. Is really fair to compare to gorillas? Sure in Bob's case no form at all. In Bean's no movement. But c'mon we call accept when someone gets ****ed up by someone else with 40lbs on them. If it were the 90's and JDS stepped into Bean's ring and got knocked the **** out it wouldn't have been a big deal, and JDS would be the can. I just mean to say giants are the most unpredictable fighters you can follow.

$BloodyNate$
11-27-2011, 06:28 PM
I said it before and people laughed but whats funny is it was the same people who said dos santos had no chance vs Cain, so whos laughing now? If Overeem had a jab hed of finished werdum and could probably beat dos santos but Overeem has no jab and relies soley on power where dos santos is a seriously slick highly skilled boxer. His only flaw is keeping his hands down alil low but thats how he lured cain and everybody else in, his timing is sick.

Dos Santos would destroy overeem. Overeem MIGHT win the first round but he has no cardio or that great of a chin, dos santos would last more then a round and then punish him if not stop him in the first from a huge shot. Question overeems heart too. Hell whoop Lesnar tho.

Someone88
11-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Dos Santos is better than Overeem

monaroCountry
11-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Overeem hits harder, can take far more punishment, has far better kicks and checks, has far better knees, and easily more experinced.

The thing that American MMA fans or even boxing fans cant understand is that Overeem is very patient fighter, he doesnt just throw useless jabs, or bounce around the ring like tigger, and doesnt really move his tiny head all over the place. The reason is that his head is tiny compared with his body and arms, I dont think anyones gone through Ubereems defenses like that. Overeem covers very well and kicks and punches like a mule.

JDS simply hasnt faced anyone quite like Ubereem.

$BloodyNate$
11-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Overeem hits harder, can take far more punishment, has far better kicks and checks, has far better knees, and easily more experinced.

The thing that American MMA fans or even boxing fans cant understand is that Overeem is very patient fighter, he doesnt just throw useless jabs, or bounce around the ring like tigger, and doesnt really move his tiny head all over the place. The reason is that his head is tiny compared with his body and arms, I dont think anyones gone through Ubereems defenses like that. Overeem covers very well and kicks and punches like a mule.

JDS simply hasnt faced anyone quite like Ubereem.

Please. Overeem is such an overrated kickboxer Its not even funny. His K1 tournament was so easy. He had it easy. When has he ever put on a master striking clinic against an elite k1 guy? Hes all power and size. Bob Sapp had sucess in k1 for god sake. And how can somebody know who can take better shots? Especially when dos santos has never been hurt, Overeem stopped brutally by chuck freakin terrible technique liddell. Shogun raped him twice. Sergie K destroyed him on the feet. Overeem only won one of their fights with takedowns. Dos Santos ate roys best, cro cops, and carwins. If they go blow for blow overeem is going down. Dos santos would pick him apart with his hands. Overeem has kicks but dos santos has fast hands with excellent timing.

F l i c k e r
11-28-2011, 08:30 PM
hahaha, a lot of those losses were pre-horse meat though. :rofl:

murmagic
12-03-2011, 07:10 AM
reem has loads of exp in standup and he is a great striker but people saying its better then JDS is silly, JDS is (in terms against reem) green to us. he has shown some of the best boxing in MMA.

monaroCountry
12-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Please. Overeem is such an overrated kickboxer Its not even funny. His K1 tournament was so easy. He had it easy. When has he ever put on a master striking clinic against an elite k1 guy? Hes all power and size. Bob Sapp had sucess in k1 for god sake. And how can somebody know who can take better shots? Especially when dos santos has never been hurt, Overeem stopped brutally by chuck freakin terrible technique liddell. Shogun raped him twice. Sergie K destroyed him on the feet. Overeem only won one of their fights with takedowns. Dos Santos ate roys best, cro cops, and carwins. If they go blow for blow overeem is going down. Dos santos would pick him apart with his hands. Overeem has kicks but dos santos has fast hands with excellent timing.

Id rather a proven guy thats been through the wars than one that hasnt faced any striker of note.

I went with JDS against Cain, lets see how this plays out. This time around im going with Overeem v Brock and again on Overeem against JDS :boxing:.

monaroCountry
12-03-2011, 07:39 AM
reem has loads of exp in standup and he is a great striker but people saying its better then JDS is silly, JDS is (in terms against reem) green to us. he has shown some of the best boxing in MMA.

Too bad it isnt points boxing, its MMA where leg kicks can cripple and grapplers like Overeem can snap off a limb.

Someone88
12-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Great post

Someone88
12-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Id rather a proven guy thats been through the wars than one that hasnt faced any striker of note.

I went with JDS against Cain, lets see how this plays out. This time around im going with Overeem v Brock and again on Overeem against JDS :boxing:.

Overeem has had wars? He doesn't have a good chin and he lacks the heart the other top fighters have he crumbles under pressure Dos Santos would break him

Big BRICKS
12-03-2011, 10:36 AM
All of you folks counting who Overeem has lost to need to stop with the nonsense, he won the K1 Grand Prix, which is the tournament for the most elite kickboxers in the world. Easy path against older and injured fighters or not, that credential CANNOT be discredited. He has an advantage standing against any fighter.

monaroCountry
12-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Overeem has had wars? He doesn't have a good chin and he lacks the heart the other top fighters have he crumbles under pressure Dos Santos would break him

Doesnt have heat? they guy jumps from one organisation to another looking for challenges, which is something I cant say for most UFC fighters. Brock and Carwin lack heart but not Overeem. Getting beat up by Badr Hari and still coming forward is heart.

Overeem would leg kick JDS till JDS's legs look like Monson's, then clinch followed by a couple of Uberknees to the body. Overeem wins in R1 if its kept standing. If it goes to ground then Ubereem wins in R2 :boxing::boxing:

Someone88
12-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Doesnt have heat? they guy jumps from one organisation to another looking for challenges, which is something I cant say for most UFC fighters. Brock and Carwin lack heart but not Overeem. Getting beat up by Badr Hari and still coming forward is heart.

Overeem would leg kick JDS till JDS's legs look like Monson's, then clinch followed by a couple of Uberknees to the body. Overeem wins in R1 if its kept standing. If it goes to ground then Ubereem wins in R2 :boxing::boxing:

Offcourse he has some heart he is a fighter but a lot of his losses have been by stoppages where he he crumbles under pressure, Overeem has to beat Lesnar first even if he does Dos Santos beats him but we may know soon

monaroCountry
12-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Offcourse he has some heart he is a fighter but a lot of his losses have been by stoppages where he he crumbles under pressure, Overeem has to beat Lesnar first even if he does Dos Santos beats him but we may know soon

How is Lesnar going to win when he runs away at the first sign of Ubereem putting his fist anywhere near Brock's head?

Someone88
12-05-2011, 10:06 AM
How is Lesnar going to win when he runs away at the first sign of Ubereem putting his fist anywhere near Brock's head?

Lesnar has a really good chin but his reactions to strikes are really poor, if he has improved that and his Striking defense then it's very likely that he'll either take a few hits maybe avoid some use his Wrestling take Overeem down and beat him up on the ground. I'm not sure though I can't wait for it!

$BloodyNate$
12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
My point is he wins by pure size and power alone. Its not like he outstruck tremendous strikers he just bullies with his size. Dos santos keeping his hands low lours them in so he can counter with his big shots. Id be extremely surprised if they fought and dos santos didnt check those leg kicks. If Overeem had a nice jab i think hed win, he would of finished werdum but without it hes too telegraphed. I think dos santos gets in and out landing combos pretty well.

monaroCountry
12-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Lesnar has a really good chin but his reactions to strikes are really poor, if he has improved that and his Striking defense then it's very likely that he'll either take a few hits maybe avoid some use his Wrestling take Overeem down and beat him up on the ground. I'm not sure though I can't wait for it!
You do know that Overeem is far better on the ground than Lesnar, right?

Marchegiano
12-07-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't believe either one has good enough defense to deal with the other's offense. I believe this one comes down to power, and chin. I'm not sure who has more power, but I do think JDS has a better chin. Not too strongly....I'm not sure JDS has been hit cleanly by an accurate striker. I'd say Roy Nelson would be his best show of good chin, but he didn't absorb shots like the one Remy put The Reem down with.

I don't really think Alistair's gonna box him. I see him looking for leg kicks, and submission. Not necessarily to the ground.

Someone88
12-08-2011, 08:57 AM
You do know that Overeem is far better on the ground than Lesnar, right?

Overeem has a good ground game but if Lesnar gets on top he'll have a major advantage there