View Full Version : R.i.p ron lyle

The Surgeon
11-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Ive just learned that Heavyweight Banger Ron Lyle has passed away. Always had a soft spot for Lyle, read an interview from him only last year - maybe even early this year and he seemed to be doing well.

R.I.P Big Guy.....

NChristo
11-26-2011, 04:30 PM
**** !!!!
RIP thoughts go to his family.

BigStereotype
11-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Damn, that's sad. RIP Ron Lyle, one of the true heavyweight badasses.

Southpaw Stinger
11-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Great fights with Foreman and Shavers.

RIP.

Forza
11-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Fun fighter to watch, will always remember that huge scar on his neck. Tough guy. Gave foreman a hell of a brawl

RIP big man

TBear
11-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Sad to lose another classic heavyweight. RIP champ!

joseph5620
11-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Ive just learned that Heavyweight Banger Ron Lyle has passed away. Always had a soft spot for Lyle, read an interview from him only last year - maybe even early this year and he seemed to be doing well.

R.I.P Big Guy.....

Three fighters from the 'Facing Ali "documentary have now passed away. Not far apart. First Henry Cooper, Joe Frazier,and now Lyle.

Barn
11-26-2011, 06:39 PM
RIP Mr Lyle.

The Surgeon
11-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Three fighters from the 'Facing Ali "documentary have now passed away. Not far apart. First Henry Cooper, Joe Frazier,and now Lyle.

I was thinking about that actually and also ud have thought every one of them would out live Muhammad the condition he has been in for years...

It will be a sad sad day when he goes

DarkTerror88
11-26-2011, 09:04 PM
What a shame, i was going to go visit him again soon. A real badass straight from the hood. I give Lyle a chance against most heavyweights. That power and his on/off durability make him fun to watch and the possibility of destruction. Dude could box too, watch his fight with Ali.

Rest in peace.

IronDanHamza
11-26-2011, 09:07 PM
R.I.P Ron Lyle.

Sad sad news.

BostonGuy
11-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Rest in Peace, Ron Lyle....

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2011/1126/20111126__Obit-Ron-Lyle-Boxing~p1.jpg

Great John L
11-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Rest in Peace, Ron Lyle. This is a sad year for boxing. Cooper, Frazier, Lyle. It makes me so sad. God bless them all.

IronBoxer
11-26-2011, 09:45 PM
First Frazier now Lyle. What's happening here???

Terry A
11-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Another fighter from the Golden Age (the 1970's) of heavyweight boxing is gone. Bonavena, Jimmy Young, Quarry, Frazier & now Lyle.

Jimmy Ellis is in bad shape, Ali is in bad shape. Ken Norton is banged up bad.

Even though we all have to die sometime, it's always sad when one of the fighters we've read about, watched & talked about for so long passes. It's another chunk gone from a really fun era.

May the Lord bring some comfort to his family and friends.

GJC
11-26-2011, 10:56 PM
All looked in fine fettle in it too :(

Kid McCoy
11-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Real sad news. RIP.

Sugarj
11-27-2011, 05:38 PM
I can scarcely believe this. Ron Lyle was arguably in the best physical shape of all the greats from that era in recent times. I read his biography last year and he was apparently still able to do a shed-load of pressups and worked out daily.

This stomach condition must have been very sudden and relentless.

Terrible news, he was a great fighter from a great era.....

Scott9945
11-27-2011, 10:28 PM
I can scarcely believe this. Ron Lyle was arguably in the best physical shape of all the greats from that era in recent times. I read his biography last year and he was apparently still able to do a shed-load of pressups and worked out daily.

This stomach condition must have been very sudden and relentless.

Terrible news, he was a great fighter from a great era.....

I just read that Lyle was training fighters at a gym on Friday, then died suddenly on Saturday.

Sugarj
11-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I just read that Lyle was training fighters at a gym on Friday, then died suddenly on Saturday.

Hell fire! That is terrible......poor guy. Nobody would have seen that coming.

Scott9945
11-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Hell fire! That is terrible......poor guy. Nobody would have seen that coming.

Personally speaking, I'd rather go out that way than suffering from a long lingering illness.

New England
11-28-2011, 07:24 PM
RIP. terrific fighter. fit right in in the greatest HW era of all time

Frazier - Lyle

jesus is gonna be ringside slugging beers

JAB5239
11-28-2011, 09:56 PM
RIP. terrific fighter. fit right in in the greatest HW era of all time

Frazier - Lyle

jesus is gonna be ringside slugging beers

Maybe, maybe not depending on your religious beliefs. Not to kick dirt on him, but he was a murderer.

Scott9945
11-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Maybe, maybe not depending on your religious beliefs. Not to kick dirt on him, but he was a murderer.

Lyle was also found not guilty of murder (self defense) after he retired.

DarkTerror88
11-28-2011, 10:08 PM

When i would talk to big Ron, i would not see the eyes of a mean man, a killer or a murderer. I feel that even if he was once a troubled man (before boxing) i can bet my life that he is a good man. A man worthy of salvation of the highest order. Not a saint like Joe but a good man nontheless.

JAB5239
11-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Lyle was also found not guilty of murder (self defense) after he retired.

I have no problem with Lyle, I've known plenty of bad people. But the man was no saint, thats for sure. Than again not many fighters are.

When i would talk to big Ron, i would not see the eyes of a mean man, a killer or a murderer. I feel that even if he was once a troubled man (before boxing) i can bet my life that he is a good man. A man worthy of salvation of the highest order. Not a saint like Joe but a good man nontheless.

Im a non practicing catholic and not very big on religion. It's just not something I think about. When Im dead and going wherever I go I'll worry about it then. But if there is a God (yes I believe) than Lyle is going to have to answer. Im sure Lyle did plenty of bad things he was never caught for and changing later in life can never fix those things. That said, I hope he is in heaven and resting in peace.

Scott9945
11-28-2011, 10:37 PM
[quote=JAB5239;11487406]I have no problem with Lyle, I've known plenty of bad people. But the man was no saint, thats for sure. Than again not many fighters are./quote]

Definitely agree. Lyle always represented himself well in and out of the ring. Boxing has often been a route of salvation for many ex-cons. But when popular athletes pass away you often get only hear the rosey side of the story. Lyle wasn't put in prison for any white collar crimes. No matter how you regard him, he was a convicted killer.

La_Vibora
11-29-2011, 01:35 AM
Lyle may have done some bad things in his life, but he didn't seem like a bad guy to me. Anyways R.I.P. Lyle!

Sugarj
11-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Personally speaking, I'd rather go out that way than suffering from a long lingering illness.

Fair enough.

I'm sure he felt that he had alot more years to live though.

As for all the comments about his past, he certainly seems to have come good since his retirement. His youth work commands respect.......and he never seemed to carry himself like someone who knows that he is guilty of murder. I'm of the opinion that he may well have covered for a friend or that in the least the incident was to a degree accidental.

New England
11-29-2011, 08:27 AM

i'm no real authority on heaven

would a furlough be appropriate for this sort of thing?

i've always pictured heaven with (among other things certainly,) ridiculous fights:
ruben olivares vs 122 lb manny pacquiao
ray robinson vs tommy hearns at 154
bam bam rios vs himself
etc

JAB5239
11-29-2011, 08:32 AM
i'm no real authority on heaven

would a furlough be appropriate for this sort of thing?

Nor am I. Hopefully he just has to serve a stint in purgatory and than is paroled to the pearly gates.

The Surgeon
11-29-2011, 09:23 AM
[quote=JAB5239;11487406]I have no problem with Lyle, I've known plenty of bad people. But the man was no saint, thats for sure. Than again not many fighters are./quote]

Definitely agree. Lyle always represented himself well in and out of the ring. Boxing has often been a route of salvation for many ex-cons. But when popular athletes pass away you often get only hear the rosey side of the story. Lyle wasn't put in prison for any white collar crimes. No matter how you regard him, he was a convicted killer.

Do u know the story behind that murder Scott? I knew he was put in jail for murder but have never heard the details...

On Religion, Im not a guy who prays or goes to church but i dont rule there being a God out either. I try to be the best man i can and i live my life with my own beliefs, morals and codes of conduct, i hope if there is indeed a higher force and a heaven thats enough to get me in.

I know 2 people who have killed another man and in both cases i can accept it, these are not evil men. Circumstances are all important.

JAB5239
11-29-2011, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=Scott9945;11487453]

Do u know the story behind that murder Scott? I knew he was put in jail for murder but have never heard the details...

On Religion, Im not a guy who prays or goes to church but i dont rule there being a God out either. I try to be the best man i can and i live my life with my own beliefs, morals and codes of conduct, i hope if there is indeed a higher force and a heaven thats enough to get me in.

I know 2 people who have killed another man and in both cases i can accept it, these are not evil men. Circumstances are all important.

If Im not mistaken he shot someone in a fight.

EDIT: Lyle was born to William and Nellie Lyle. He was one of 19 children, and the only one to get in trouble with the law. When he was in his teens, Lyle was arrested and charged with second degree murder in the shooting death of 21-year-old Douglas Byrd in a gang fight. Lyle was convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to 15***8211;25 years at the Colorado State Penitentiary.

While Lyle was working as a security guard in Las Vegas, Nevada, he was accused of another murder. He shot a man in his apartment who had spent time with him in the Colorado State Penitentiary. The retired boxer claimed self defense and was found not guilty.

The Surgeon
11-29-2011, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=The Surgeon;11488867]

If Im not mistaken he shot someone in a fight.

EDIT: Lyle was born to William and Nellie Lyle. He was one of 19 children, and the only one to get in trouble with the law. When he was in his teens, Lyle was arrested and charged with second degree murder in the shooting death of 21-year-old Douglas Byrd in a gang fight. Lyle was convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to 1525 years at the Colorado State Penitentiary.

While Lyle was working as a security guard in Las Vegas, Nevada, he was accused of another murder. He shot a man in his apartment who had spent time with him in the Colorado State Penitentiary. The retired boxer claimed self defense and was found not guilty.

Thanks for that JAB :boxing:

I just watched Foreman vs Lyle again after thinking about Ron...... It just dont get old!