View Full Version : Which Next Gen console to get?

masterdirector
11-08-2005, 02:28 AM
Which system? If you're getting more than one, vote as if you could only choose one.

Assume they all come out at the same time and all cost the same amount of money. Which system do you think will be the best?

joeboxer
11-08-2005, 02:37 AM
I think that its a toss-up again between X-Box and P3. I'll go with the P3 but I think nintendo is done as a major force in terms of consules.

masterdirector
11-08-2005, 02:56 AM
I'm going with the PS3 mainly because PS3 will have the Blu-Ray technology while Xbox360 won't even have HD DVD or Blu-Ray. And I expect Blu-Ray to win the war this time, like how VHS beat Sony's Betamax back in the 80s. Sony learned from their mistakes and will win this time, I think.

The Betamax was a superior machine to the VHS VCRs, but Sony wanted to distribute everything, so they ****ed up. They got greedy, thinking they'd be the only distributors in the world (remember, this was when VCRs were new, nothing in home to watch movies on, except TV movies), and everyone bought the cheaper, yet inferior, VHS players.

VHS also had 6 hour recordable tapes, later 8 and even 10 hour tapes, while the most you could get on a Betamax tape was 60-80 minutes. Not even a full movie. I think this was because of movie piracy concerns, but still a stupid move.

As far as the Next Gen consoles, I expect the PS3 to run away big time in a year or two, leaving the XBox 360 in the dust. But, the 360 can still keep a good enough market because they'll be able to offer a cheaper console and games. They'll have a price drop on their system before the PS3, and its likely that the 360 will always be less expensive while its in retail stores.

I won't even bother with buying an Xbox360.

Nintendo Revolution, that controller looks gay. I'll have to try it out in the stores before I even give that system a chance. If I got one, I'd have to get a 3rd party controller that does't look like a TV remote control. The big appeal of that system to me right now is that they'll offer basically the entire NES and SNES library. It'd be nice to play Punch Out or Double Dragon 2 without having to blow into the games each time to get them to work.

Da Iceman
11-08-2005, 07:23 PM
xbo360 is gonna have killer graphics

Memorex
11-08-2005, 09:46 PM
ps3 is gonna dominate

Verstyle
11-08-2005, 10:22 PM
i played the xbox 360 at wal-mart it was pretty cool. and i know its not out yet. they had it for demo play for some odd reason

masterdirector
11-09-2005, 12:39 AM
xbo360 is gonna have killer graphics

I'm willing to bet PS3 will have AT LEAST equal graphics this time, if not better. I'm sure this will be a big debate. No doubt that the Xbox clearly had better graphics. Which, they should have. They were the computer company with easier access than Sony in the way of good graphics cards.

They're claiming that the PS3 could be capable of 120 fps, which is sort of moot right now because no TV can run that fast, but that shows they'll be up to par, at least, with graphics.

PS3 using Blu-Ray technology and that impressive Cell chip will have an advantage, I think, on loading times, and eventually game depth.

Take GTA: SA. On Blu-Ray, they could easily fit something 5-6 times the size of that on a disc, with room to spare. Xbox360 will not be able to do that. They'll only be able to equal the space of GTA: SA on the standard DVD format.

I'm surprised Microsoft didn't adopt the HD DVD format for the Xbox360. Microsoft has backed Toshiba's format for future Windows Based PCs, but not for their own game console. And they won't be able to just upload firmware updates to allow for HD DVD because its a completely different laser that reads it.

Verstyle
11-09-2005, 12:56 AM
but xbox has an harddrive. u can do all kinds of mod **** with that like they did with the first 1. and those grafics when i was playing r going to be hard to beat

masterdirector
11-09-2005, 01:48 AM
but xbox has an harddrive. u can do all kinds of mod **** with that like they did with the first 1. and those grafics when i was playing r going to be hard to beat

yeah I like the fact that it has a hard drive. The PS3 will offer a detachable hard drive this time actually.

Here's the PS3 specs:

CPU: Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for edundancy
total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:
Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM: 22.4GB/s
RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage: HDD - Detachable 2.5 HDD slot x 1

I/O: USB: Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)

Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD: standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1

Communication: Ethernet - 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller:
Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP)
Network (over IP)

AV Output
Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc media: CD, PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R,CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side), PlayStation2 DVD-ROM, PLAYSTATION3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc: PLAYSTATION3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Here's the Xbox360 specs:
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articles/xbox/1144/The-Xbox-360-System-Specifications/p1/

I wanted to list them here, but trying to copy that thing was near impossible. Someone could attach it to where its viewable. I don't know how to do that.

Verstyle
11-09-2005, 02:08 AM
yeah I like the fact that it has a hard drive. The PS3 will offer a detachable hard drive this time actually.

Here's the PS3 specs:

Here's the Xbox360 specs:
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articles/xbox/1144/The-Xbox-360-System-Specifications/p1/

I wanted to list them here, but trying to copy that thing was near impossible. Someone could attach it to where its viewable. I don't know how to do that.

i wonder is there a site thqat can compare then better side to side and

masterdirector
11-09-2005, 04:15 AM
i wonder is there a site thqat can compare then better side to side and

Its hard to find a site that compares them side to side like you're meaning. Some sites take the PS3 side and others take the Xbox360 side. I haven't found a good objective one yet just listing the specs only.

Microsoft even put out their own comparison of Xbox360 vs. PS3. Of course the Xbox360 won on that, lol. I imagine Sony'll put out their own if they haven't already, where the PS3 wins. That'd be like believing a republican who says republicans are better or a democrat who says democrats are better.

12 Gauge Shotty
11-09-2005, 04:23 PM
I think xbox360s and ps3s graphics look really cool

Verstyle
11-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Its hard to find a site that compares them side to side like you're meaning. Some sites take the PS3 side and others take the Xbox360 side. I haven't found a good objective one yet just listing the specs only.

Microsoft even put out their own comparison of Xbox360 vs. PS3. Of course the Xbox360 won on that, lol. I imagine Sony'll put out their own if they haven't already, where the PS3 wins. That'd be like believing a republican who says republicans are better or a democrat who says democrats are better.

but i think microsoft has the better of the technology. cause there ****in microsoft a software company. sony is a hardware company. so microsoft was born to do **** like this so thats why i think xbox 360 will be better. and those graphics r like 2 times better the xbox and playstation2. cause remember i played it already. :D

Tony Blitz
11-09-2005, 06:07 PM
I think xbox360s and ps3s graphics look really cool
Post of the year.

Memorex
11-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Post of the year.
lmao, cold blooded

Da Iceman
11-09-2005, 09:20 PM
microsoft is too ****ing cheap to use blue ray technology

Verstyle
11-09-2005, 09:26 PM
microsoft is too ****ing cheap to use blue ray technology

jus curious what is blue ray technology?

Da Iceman
11-09-2005, 11:46 PM
i dont know but they still to cheap to buy it

Ricomania77
11-10-2005, 04:26 PM
xbox is coming out this month, while we have to wait for sometime next year for the PS3. The differences will be minimal

masterdirector
11-14-2005, 06:17 PM
you'll see, Ricomania. Give it 2 years and you'll see the Xbox360 get left behind I think, in terms of how good the games are. Unless they actually use HD DVD, which I think they're a bit late for that. Otherwise, PS3 will have much better games in the end.

And Microsoft is more of a software company mystikal, exactly. Sony is more known for hardware. The PS3 and Xbox360 are consoles, hence hardware. Sony's machine, on paper, is looking significantly more impressive in most areas. Now it's of course possible that it won't deliver the goods. Time will tell on that end. But even so, the Blu-Ray discs hold 10 times the capacity of the Xbox360 discs, meaning they can get 10 times the amount of **** in the games, or have 10 times the detail for same games. That doesn't mean all games will be that way, but they'll have the potential, and some games will. It will just be up to the game developers.

drez24
11-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Xbox all the way. MD, I know you know your **** about this stuff, but NEVER underestimate the corporate giant that is Microsoft. They can compete against whoever, whenever. Time will tell whether or not their improved search engine can beat google, but experts are saying it can, proving again: never underestimate MS.

Graphics wise, its not even close, PS3 will destroy xbox. SEVEN ****ING CORES!! unbelievable power the PS has. But at this point, seriously, who cares? Graphics are almost irrelavent at this point. But lets say that they are: Programmers are already *****ing about how hard the PS3 will be to program for, while praising the ease of programming for the Xbox. This can definitely cause problems for the PS, but the only reason I'm thinking maybe this isn't so is because the same thing happened when the PS2 came out (programmers *****ing, saying its impossible to program for), but they did fine with it.

Halo is another factor. When is Halo 3's release date? official response from MS: "whatever day the PS3 launches." That is some cold, calculated **** right there.

The only thing I completely agree with you on is the Blu ray. Sony ****ed up with betamax and they know it. They have every hollywood studio on board with the Bluray technology, whereas it looks like the HD DVD will fade out. And like you said, Xbox isnt even using that.

The counterpoint to that is, Sony has had ****up after ****up in the last few years. Thier ****ty mp3 players with their propietary format, their overpriced TVs that are no better (and some argue not as good as) than Samsung's or Toshiba's, and most recently, their TROJAN ****ING VIRUS they have embedded in their newer CDs that hackers have been exploiting as of late. A class action law suit was filed against them last week. People, including myself, are definitely getting sick of Sony and their bull**** products, although I'm trying not to be biased here.

Price is a huge factor. Sony still hasn't released the price of the PS. People like to game, but ****, I don't know too many people that will drop five bills on a gaming system.

And although the question was if they were released at the same time, the fact that xbox will have the experience curve going for them at that point. Honestly, simultaneous release, I would still go with the Xbox, because of the games I'm into (less into rpgs these days, love ninja gaiden, prefer the xbox controller).

But its definitely good to see some talk about the new systems. The correct answer to which one do you prefer is: whichever one is able to be modded first. games are too expensive to drop fifty a pop for. both have their ups and downs, it comes down to whichever type of games you prefer.

Thats my post. Its not as eloquent as 12 Gauge Shotty's, but hey...

Verstyle
11-14-2005, 10:47 PM
im still gettin the xbox. cause i played it at wal-mart again and i was playin king kong and i was gettin ready to play and i was like when is the cut scene going to be over then i touched the controller and i was moving. i was like damnnnnnnnn those r good graphics if i thought it was a cut scene.

Verstyle
11-15-2005, 12:03 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ttpcworld/123348&cid=1740&ncid=1729

that should solve somethings

Manny_P
11-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Xbox all the way. MD, I know you know your **** about this stuff, but NEVER underestimate the corporate giant that is Microsoft. They can compete against whoever, whenever. Time will tell whether or not their improved search engine can beat google, but experts are saying it can, proving again: never underestimate MS.

Graphics wise, its not even close, PS3 will destroy xbox. SEVEN ****ING CORES!! unbelievable power the PS has. But at this point, seriously, who cares? Graphics are almost irrelavent at this point. But lets say that they are: Programmers are already *****ing about how hard the PS3 will be to program for, while praising the ease of programming for the Xbox. This can definitely cause problems for the PS, but the only reason I'm thinking maybe this isn't so is because the same thing happened when the PS2 came out (programmers *****ing, saying its impossible to program for), but they did fine with it.

Halo is another factor. When is Halo 3's release date? official response from MS: "whatever day the PS3 launches." That is some cold, calculated **** right there.

The only thing I completely agree with you on is the Blu ray. Sony ****ed up with betamax and they know it. They have every hollywood studio on board with the Bluray technology, whereas it looks like the HD DVD will fade out. And like you said, Xbox isnt even using that.

The counterpoint to that is, Sony has had ****up after ****up in the last few years. Thier ****ty mp3 players with their propietary format, their overpriced TVs that are no better (and some argue not as good as) than Samsung's or Toshiba's, and most recently, their TROJAN ****ING VIRUS they have embedded in their newer CDs that hackers have been exploiting as of late. A class action law suit was filed against them last week. People, including myself, are definitely getting sick of Sony and their bull**** products, although I'm trying not to be biased here.

Price is a huge factor. Sony still hasn't released the price of the PS. People like to game, but ****, I don't know too many people that will drop five bills on a gaming system.

And although the question was if they were released at the same time, the fact that xbox will have the experience curve going for them at that point. Honestly, simultaneous release, I would still go with the Xbox, because of the games I'm into (less into rpgs these days, love ninja gaiden, prefer the xbox controller).

But its definitely good to see some talk about the new systems. The correct answer to which one do you prefer is: whichever one is able to be modded first. games are too expensive to drop fifty a pop for. both have their ups and downs, it comes down to whichever type of games you prefer.

so which one are you getting? XBOX or Ps3?

Verstyle
11-15-2005, 01:29 AM

sounds like xbox. since on the first sentence he said xbox all the way. and he's dissin sony pretty much

drez24
11-15-2005, 02:48 AM

Definitely Xbox, but not until the PS comes out. They will most likely drop the price, and I still have a ton of games to play on the original Xbox.

As far as Nintendo is concerned, on the one hand, I'm impressed that they are trying to do something different and actually trying to revolutionize the industry. On the other hand, the only reason they're doing that is because they're desperate. If they are banking on people downloading old school nintendo games they are screwed. But tehn again, they are screwed anyway because they still don't know how to read statistics: THE AVERAGE VIDEO GAMER IS 29! (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game ) As long as they keep marketing to kids, having small controllers, and banking on **** fads like pokemon, they are done. In fact, there are only 2 or 3 reasons to have a gamecube. The reason I have mine? Ikaruga. Hardest and coolest ****ing game ever. ( http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/ikaruga/review.html )

masterdirector
11-15-2005, 05:13 AM

ya know, the hardcore gamers, most of them will end up buying Xbox360 and PS3. But most of the rest will buy either one or the other I think. With gas like it has been and natural gas at an all time high, I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox360 doesn't sell like they're expecting. Maybe it'll surpass it, you can never really tell. They've at least had a huge f'n ad campaign, so people know about it, that's impossible not to know about it.

I think a lot of people might be like "well ****, I just bought an Xbox or PS2 2-3 years ago. Now there's this new machine for $400+? **** that, the kids can keep their Xbox or PS2 for a while longer."

I know I'm in no rush to buy a PS3 even though I'll definitely get one. Even if I got convinced to buy the 360, I'm definitely getting the PS3. For one thing, PS3 will play import games with no modding needed.

I was one of the people that actually got a modded PS2 to play import games only and not copied games. I never had a copied game actually. Mainly cause I didn't want to switch it out every time to play it, which yeah that's not THAT big of a deal, but yeah. I mainly buy games on Ebay for $30 or less unless I'm just dying to have them. San Andreas, Fight Night, Res Evil 4, and The Warriors are the only US games I bought at time of release.

I just hope the PS3 plays Japanese PS2 games, but I seriously doubt that it will. If it does that'll kick ass b/c then all you can get Victorious Boxers 2 and finally see why I say it MURDERS the Fight Night games. You can talk about it all day, but until you actually play it and get fairly good at it, you just can't understand how good it is. Best simulation boxing game, period. Period. Fight Night isn't even close. Fight Night has parrying, that's all it has that is even as good as VB2.

Out Cold
11-16-2005, 12:53 AM
I'ma get myself the Revolution since I'm pretty sure it's gonna be the cheapest out of the 3. Nintendo is gonna rock cause Nintendo has always been a true to the gamers type of company. Fun for almost everyone, and it's gonna have 20 yrs of backwards compatibility.

Take the PSP and the DS for example. Almost all of the worth playing games on the PSP are watered down ports from the PS2. DS on the otherhand, while it has ****ty 3d graphics, has come out with some new games that are innovative and fun. That's what nintendo does. I could honestly do without the 3d, 2d is just fine for me. I love that old school look. Sure nintendo isn't gonna have alot of gory games but damn take a look at RE4. There's still some promise in nintendo.

Them other 2 are awesome but they cost way too much and I'm probably not gonna be playing all that much once I'm outta highschool. Xbox and the 360 is gonna be for them hardcore gamers. Nintendo is gonna appeal to the casual gamer.

masterdirector
11-16-2005, 06:15 PM
I'ma get myself the Revolution since I'm pretty sure it's gonna be the cheapest out of the 3. Nintendo is gonna rock cause Nintendo has always been a true to the gamers type of company. Fun for almost everyone, and it's gonna have 20 yrs of backwards compatibility.

Take the PSP and the DS for example. Almost all of the worth playing games on the PSP are watered down ports from the PS2. DS on the otherhand, while it has ****ty 3d graphics, has come out with some new games that are innovative and fun. That's what nintendo does. I could honestly do without the 3d, 2d is just fine for me. I love that old school look. Sure nintendo isn't gonna have alot of gory games but damn take a look at RE4. There's still some promise in nintendo.

Them other 2 are awesome but they cost way too much and I'm probably not gonna be playing all that much once I'm outta highschool. Xbox and the 360 is gonna be for them hardcore gamers. Nintendo is gonna appeal to the casual gamer.

I have to disagree. Nintendo doesn't appeal to the casual gamer. I always hear that, but quite frankly its bull****. They appeal to kids more than the average gamer or the hardcore gamer. Nintendo has no new games at all that would make me even consider buying the Revolution. Now, offering the whole Nintendo library is pretty damn good, but there are decent enough emulators out there which makes me still unlikely to buy the Revolution for a while.

Nintendo has survived for years with inferior products. Never has Nintendo had the best video game product out. The Sega Master System was superior to the NES, but the NES had the support and the bigger selection of titles. And look how long the original gameboy lasted, even after the Game Gear came out.

Nintendo has made some good games, but I wouldn't call them great or anything. The only game I had any interest in playing for the GameCube was Resident Evil, but now that its on PS2, I don't need it.

Still, I hope Nintendo stays around b/c I'm all for competition. That's what makes the other game companies have to keep trying.

Dr.Depravity
11-19-2005, 11:24 PM
My 6 year old wants a nintendo. I keep telling him that PS3 is comming out soon. Whatever advertising nintendo is doing, it works on the younger kids.
Im not looking foward to the cost of PS3, I even heard a rumor that it wont be backwards compatible, maybe thats true I havent had the urge to really check into it. If thats the case I will definatly wait a while before buying one. Like the first time the price drops, (right before next x-mas.)

masterdirector
11-21-2005, 09:37 PM
My 6 year old wants a nintendo. I keep telling him that PS3 is comming out soon. Whatever advertising nintendo is doing, it works on the younger kids.
Im not looking foward to the cost of PS3, I even heard a rumor that it wont be backwards compatible, maybe thats true I havent had the urge to really check into it. If thats the case I will definatly wait a while before buying one. Like the first time the price drops, (right before next x-mas.)

read the specs above, PS3 is definitely backwards compatible. What the real deal is was that the PS3 MIGHT not play some very few PS2 games, like less than 2% of the PS2 catalog though. So probably just some very ****ty games. Just like there were a couple PS1 games that won't play on the PS2.

Its not a big deal if the consoles, PS3 or Xbox360, aren't backward compatible though. I'll still hold onto my slim PS2 probably just to have. Xbox360, if I bought one, yeah I'd want it backward compatible since I don't have an Xbox.

Aligoat
11-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Ps3!

I played Xbox360 and it sucks. the graphics are not what I call nextgen, only a little bit better then the first xbox, dissappointing. I hope the Ps3 will do it better, and nintendo eh.. sucks men :D

???
11-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Easy. Playstation 3. GO PLAYSTATION!

masterdirector
11-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Finally played some Xbox360 demos at Wal-mart. Not great, not bad. To me, they can't justify ****ing $60 games for the slightly better graphics (so far at least) that it had.

I will say that I like the Xbox360 controller. It is basically the perfect size. PS3 needs to end the boomerang and I have a feeling they will with all the complaints already. Hell, I've heard the boomerang referred to on TV, that's how bad the complaints have been so far, without it even coming out.

Not that this really matters, but the Xbox360 console really didn't look that good in real life. The pictures definitely looked better. It is an improvement over the Xbox design, but that's not saying much. As far as the way systems look, I'd put the Dreamcast and Slim PS2 toward the top of the list personally. And there have been some custom PS2s that I've seen from Japan that looked good.

theironone
12-01-2005, 04:58 AM
ill probably end up getting both

Undefeated
12-01-2005, 05:24 AM
PS3 is gonna be tha best system hands down..... did ya see killzone??? but i cant belive it lol (Everyone assumed that that demo whas in game graphics) im not sure but fight night 3 looked very good to..... and x box 360... i think they released it a lil to fast dont ya think??? tha graphics are not to much of a improvement but enought to be diffrent from its previous console....x box 360 doesnt surprise me and neva has along with gamecube.... i also think revolution is gonna go down in flames lol

xzworks
12-01-2005, 06:54 AM
PS3 is loaded with games unlike xbox360. Sony will defeat microsoft again..

Bill just make windows better!!!

Oasis_Lad
12-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Revolution For Me The Thought Of Metroid Prime 3 And A New Mario And Zelda
Is Too Much

MetalVomit
12-01-2005, 03:33 PM
I know 3 people that bought an Xbox 360, and none of them even worked. they wouldnt even turn on. LOL@microsoft. Sony runs ****.

theironone
12-01-2005, 04:00 PM
really godz thats ****, i might get one its released here 2nd dec, but wifey harping on to leave til the ps3 comes out around march i think then do a decent comparison,price etc, i had ps2 and xbox before and rated the xbox loads more

Undefeated
12-01-2005, 11:42 PM
PS3 BABY HAHAAH nintendo bye bye not even DS is good lol nintendo Dip**** lol
PSP is tha mad good and now PS3 coming and its gonna be compatible with tha PSP WHATT!!!! whens tha release date for PS3??? and the Retail Price anyone kno?

masterdirector
12-06-2005, 10:02 PM
I think they'll hold off on the PS3 release until at least June personally. They've still not announced a date or price yet, this close to March.

Sony should've announced the PS3 release date on the day the Xbox360 was released.

Yeah I think the Nintendo Revolution is going to do significantly worse than the Gamecube b/c the other two systems will be so much more expensive, and the games will be more expensive, leaving people to be less willing to buy the Revolution. A lot less gamers themselves will buy it. The Revolution will be the system that parents wanting to save money and still get the latest system will buy for their kids. And Nintendo is still a more familiar brand to parents that Playstation or Xbox b/c Nintendo dominated in the 80s to the point where every video game system was called Nintendo by many older people.

Like on The Sopranos, Tony's son had a Dreamcast or PS2 I think and Tony was yelling at him, saying **** like "all you do is sit on your ass and play Nintendo games!" Which, in season 1, Tony's son did have an N64 system. So he wasn't totally inaccurate.