View Full Version : Boxing's Nice Guys?

Anthony342
11-19-2011, 07:00 PM
So we all know boxers are usually known for bragging and trash talking their opponent to both build themselves up and to provide enough hype and excitement for their upcoming fight. But who are the guys in boxing history that never or almost never did that? Who were and are the nice, classy guys in boxing, that never seemed to badmouth their opponents but were always kind and respectful?

Miburo
11-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Arguello, classiest of all time.

Sugarj
11-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Joe Louis and funnily enough the nicest bloke of a world champion ever.....Richie Woodhall.

Max Schmelling seemed like a thoroughly nice bloke.

Rocky Marciano was a dirty, revolting, ruthless man in the ring but he was a real charmer before and after fights.

Floyd Patterson was clearly quite introverted, but always respectful......another nice guy.

Oscar De La Hoya wasn't bad either. He was a little churlish after the Whitaker fight, but usually no trash talking and nice compliments for all his opponents post fight.

Leonard did the media darling thing quite well.....only the real fans knew that there was far more cunning and ruthlessness to his persona.

And who could dislike Frank Bruno???

TBear
11-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Arguello, classiest of all time.

The first person that I thought of when I seen this thread. And Louis was another.

RubenSonny
11-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Joe Louis and funnily enough the nicest bloke of a world champion ever.....Richie Woodhall.

Max Schmelling seemed like a thoroughly nice bloke.

Rocky Marciano was a dirty, revolting, ruthless man in the ring but he was a real charmer before and after fights.

Floyd Patterson was clearly quite introverted, but always respectful......another nice guy.

Oscar De La Hoya wasn't bad either. He was a little churlish after the Whitaker fight, but usually no trash talking and nice compliments for all his opponents post fight.

Leonard did the media darling thing quite well.....only the real fans knew that there was far more cunning and ruthlessness to his persona.

And who could dislike Frank Bruno???

I'm pretty sure he said something before the Whitaker fight, I can't quite put my finger on it though.

Sugarj
11-19-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm pretty sure he said something before the Whitaker fight, I can't quite put my finger on it though.

I remember the after fight interview, Oscar was very complimentary about Whitaker's jab..........and then suddenly seemed to change by saying something along the lines of 'I expected him to be stronger'.

He may well have said something before the fight, but Whitaker did seem to get under Oscar's skin. Pernell could be one ****y chap......it may have been provoked.

That said, Oscar was very much provoked by Mayorga.......but he stored up all his resentment for the ring that night.

The Surgeon
11-19-2011, 07:33 PM
All time - Floyd Patterson & Alexis Arguello

Today - Rick Burns

IronDanHamza
11-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Shane Mosley.

NChristo
11-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Vicente Saldivar, Eder Jofre, Archie Moore, Tommy Hearns, Kostya Tszyu and Roberto Duran.

Miburo
11-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Vicente Saldivar, Eder Jofre, Archie Moore, Tommy Hearns, Kostya Tszyu and Roberto Duran.

Duran??? :lol1: At times maybe, outside the ring.

Thread Stealer
11-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Genaro Hernandez

Boxing Bob
11-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Evander Holyfield

Anthony342
11-19-2011, 09:04 PM
What about Buddy McGirt or Oscar Bonavena?

NChristo
11-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Duran??? :lol1: At times maybe, outside the ring.

Yah I know, was hesitant to put him in obviously then I took another look at this picture of him with DeJesus in Hospital.
http://teenbiotechchallenge.ucdavis.edu/tbc09/domonique_lewis/images/history_clip_image001_0012.jpg
Shows what kind of person Duran really was behind the beast in the ring.

Genaro Hernandez
Good call.

Scott9945
11-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Mark Breland was one the nicest and classiest people in boxing that I can remember. He always showed great dignity in victory or defeat.

LIU KANG
11-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Roy Jones was arrogant in the ring. But outside of it, he did try to help some other guys' careers, namely Wright and Gainer when they otherwise wouldn't have gotten opportunities. And he devoted a lot of time to helping Gerald McClellan and his family.

Scott9945
11-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Roy Jones was arrogant in the ring. But outside of it, he did try to help some other guys' careers, namely Wright and Gainer when they otherwise wouldn't have gotten opportunities. And he devoted a lot of time to helping Gerald McClellan and his family.

Roy's enormous ego always turned me off, but everyone who I ever heard from that met him said he was super nice.

McGoorty
11-20-2011, 04:35 AM
So we all know boxers are usually known for bragging and trash talking their opponent to both build themselves up and to provide enough hype and excitement for their upcoming fight. But who are the guys in boxing history that never or almost never did that? Who were and are the nice, classy guys in boxing, that never seemed to badmouth their opponents but were always kind and respectful?
Les Darcy, all round nice happy bloke....... outside and usually inside the ring,, he only ever criticised Jeff Smith, anyone else he didn't think much he said so only in private letters to his family. Darcy inside the ring always had a smile on his face, except on a few occasions where he'd lose it and KO his opponents shortly after. Those who knew him said he was the nicest possible fellow...... he was quite unique in many ways, no doubt he had total confidence in his ability,, never felt like he had to prove anything.... Les Darcy makes most lists.... including this one.

JAB5239
11-20-2011, 05:07 AM
Oscar Bonavena?

Im not sure Bonavena was a boxing nice guy.

Bonavena ran into trouble outside the ring with remarks such as calling Muhammad Ali a black kangaroo and even a chicken for draft dodging.

In his pre-fight press conference with Frazier he needled effectively by implying Frazier had a personal hygiene problem. He would start sniffing and grimace. Lawsuits were brought about by reporters with broken cameras; and other such "colorful" behavior. He was always volatile trainers soon discovered.

Cloud
11-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Frank Bruno was one of the nicest guys i can remember. His laugh is boss. Such a booming laugh. His partnership with Harry Carpenter was pretty awesome too. Know what i mean 'Arry.

Wlad K seems a classy guy but i have heard that he and Vitali can be pretty ruthless when it comes to business and such. Either way, they've only really lost they're cool with Haye from what i can remember.

Floyd Patterson seemed a great guy too. He kind of reminded me of a guy that didn't really want to fight...he always seemed to be distant. IDK if that makes sense to people but thats how i feel about Floyd.

JAB5239
11-20-2011, 05:24 AM
How about Marciano and Langford?

ghost deini
11-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Shane Mosley.

yes mosley springs to mind

roy jones
micky ward
amir khan
lennox lewis
kelly pavlik
antonio tarver
andre ward

The Surgeon
11-20-2011, 06:35 AM
yes mosley springs to mind

roy jones
micky ward
amir khan
lennox lewis
kelly pavlik
antonio tarver
andre ward

Yes to Mosley - Big Time!

Khan is a big no though, i like him but he talks ALOT of *****, and is pretty ****y at times

Pavlik comes across well but i heard he is a bit of a dick. Didnt he just throw his brother threw a glass door in a drunken brawl?

Excellent call on Andre Ward

Miburo
11-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Yah I know, was hesitant to put him in obviously then I took another look at this picture of him with DeJesus in Hospital.
http://teenbiotechchallenge.ucdavis.edu/tbc09/domonique_lewis/images/history_clip_image001_0012.jpg
Shows what kind of person Duran really was behind the beast in the ring.

Good call.

Oh I think Duran is more or less a good guy away from the sport, but he was definitely a disrespectful sh1t talker as a fighter.

DarkTerror88
11-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Frazier was a nice guy. Moore as well. Patterson's nick name was The Gentleman of Boxing, says somethin.

Anthony342
11-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Im not sure Bonavena was a boxing nice guy.

Bonavena ran into trouble outside the ring with remarks such as calling Muhammad Ali a black kangaroo and even a chicken for draft dodging.

In his pre-fight press conference with Frazier he needled effectively by implying Frazier had a personal hygiene problem. He would start sniffing and grimace. Lawsuits were brought about by reporters with broken cameras; and other such "colorful" behavior. He was always volatile trainers soon discovered.

And Buddy MCGirt? He seemed to get along with Whitaker after their 2 fights.

Anthony342
11-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Oh I think Duran is more or less a good guy away from the sport, but he was definitely a disrespectful sh1t talker as a fighter.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about Duran. On that Ringside episode on Sugar Ray Leonard, Leonard admitted to fighting Duran all wrong in the first fight, fighting Duran's fight going straight at him, playing into Duran's hands, not listening to his corner and said it was because of all the things said in press conferences leading up to the fight. Didn't Duran call Leonard a woman or wuss? And Leonard also said Duran said some derogatory things about his wife at the time. Good to know Duran's a good guy outside the ring though.

I-M-E
11-20-2011, 07:04 PM
oscar, JMM, cotto, ward...mayorga haha joking

Someone88
11-24-2011, 09:03 AM
I know there have been many nice guys in Boxing, my list of nice guys in Boxing are: Louis, Marciano, Tszyu, Cotto, Mosley, Martinez, Bute, Ward, Tua, Vitali, Wladimir and Pacquiao

Sugarj
11-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Has anyone mentioned the second coming of George Foreman? He was a real affable chap second time round.

After being pretty obviously robbed in his match with Shannon Briggs, he was nothing but the epitomie of nice in the post fight interview.

Scott9945
11-24-2011, 10:11 AM
I know there have been many nice guys in Boxing, my list of nice guys in Boxing are: Louis, Marciano, Tszyu, Cotto, Mosley, Martinez, Bute, Ward, Tua, Vitali, Wladimir and Pacquiao

I've met David Tua, and I wouldn't describe him as very nice.

'Sugar' Freddi
11-24-2011, 11:44 AM
The Klitschko brothers?

The Surgeon
11-24-2011, 11:48 AM
I've met David Tua, and I wouldn't describe him as very nice. Never thought of him as a nice guy but not exactly nasty either, what was the problem when u met him Scott?

How about Johnny Owen?

goblin213
11-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Vernon Forrest

The Surgeon
11-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Vernon Forrest
I know Vern did alot for people with disadvantages and stuff but ive heard Mixed reviews on him being a nice guy

Scott9945
11-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Never thought of him as a nice guy but not exactly nasty either, what was the problem when u met him Scott?

How about Johnny Owen?

I saw Tua by himself at the fights about 10 years ago and tried talking to him. He was very aloof and I got the hint right away. Most fighters that I've met were at least good for a smile. The only other fighter I've met who wasn't cordial was Jeff Fenech.

Scott9945
11-24-2011, 12:26 PM
I know Vern did alot for people with disadvantages and stuff but ive heard Mixed reviews on him being a nice guy

I never met him, but I've heard the same thing more than once about Forrest.

The Surgeon
11-24-2011, 12:26 PM
I saw Tua by himself at the fights about 10 years ago and tried talking to him. He was very aloof and I got the hint right away. Most fighters that I've met were at least good for a smile. The only other fighter I've met who wasn't cordial was Jeff Fenech.

Should have told him he was a slow plodding predictable fat midget and legged it!

Seriously though i cant be done with guys like that especially when his greatest achievement was being mentioned on an episode of Family Guy!

Someone88
11-24-2011, 10:56 PM
I've met David Tua, and I wouldn't describe him as very nice.

Really? I've heard from others he is very nice actually I don't remember who but a person said Tua was the nicest athlete he has ever met

Someone88
11-24-2011, 10:59 PM

I get you but it could have been his mode, also he doesn't talk trash he is a humble guy I was going by the thread topic but I'm sure a lot of fighters are nice usually.

Someone88
11-24-2011, 11:05 PM
The Klitschko brothers?

Yep the Klitschkos are nice guys

Scott9945
11-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Really? I've heard from others he is very nice actually I don't remember who but a person said Tua was the nicest athlete he has ever met

I realize that when you see a athlete/celebrity at a random moment you may not catch them at their best. Sometimes you just want to be left alone.

Someone88
11-24-2011, 11:10 PM
I realize that when you see a athlete/celebrity at a random moment you may not catch them at their best. Sometimes you just want to be left alone.

Yep I agree so which other Fighters have you met?

brently1979
11-24-2011, 11:16 PM

What was his problem? He comes across like a ****head.

Someone88
11-25-2011, 12:59 AM
What was his problem? He comes across like a ****head.

People have their moments, Tua is one of the most humble Boxers and I've also heard he's a really nice from other posters and I know a guy who has met him as well he said Tua is a nice guy.

New England
11-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Has anyone mentioned the second coming of George Foreman? He was a real affable chap second time round.

After being pretty obviously robbed in his match with Shannon Briggs, he was nothing but the epitomie of nice in the post fight interview.

great point, considering he was hard as nails coming up as well.

not sure if i've seen arguello's name yet but he usually gets//got rave reviews from past opponents (usually after he knocked the snot out of them)

abner mares is a dirty fighter but outside of the ring he's a terrific young man

elgranluchadore
11-25-2011, 12:46 PM
DLH is not a nice guy, he ripped Chavez after he quit on his stool saying real champs dont go out like that, i was so glad when pacquiao made him quit on his corner, talk about karma

BigStereotype
11-25-2011, 08:26 PM
oscar, JMM, cotto, ward...mayorga haha joking

you won't find a bigger JMM fan than me, but he talks a LOT. I love him to death and I think he's right more often than not, but it's kind of hard to call him one of boxing's nice guys. He talks trash and always discredits his opponent if he loses.

Greatest1942
11-25-2011, 09:30 PM
I doubt there were more actually nicer guys from the start to end than Zora Folley. From Liston to Ali everyone liked him. Liston called him the most likeable man he fought and Ali so good that he had trouble hitting him.

Greatest1942
11-25-2011, 09:33 PM

It happens , I once met the great West Indian cricketer Countrey Walsh, he was great and very polite it was a pleasure talking to him. One of my friends who met him (or tried) had no such luck, Walsh even simply refused to sign any autographs and went away...

But tell you what he is a genuine good guy, but like all of us he is human, as might be Tua.:boxing:

Scott9945
11-25-2011, 10:14 PM
It happens , I once met the great West Indian cricketer Countrey Walsh, he was great and very polite it was a pleasure talking to him. One of my friends who met him (or tried) had no such luck, Walsh even simply refused to sign any autographs and went away...

But tell you what he is a genuine good guy, but like all of us he is human, as might be Tua.:boxing:

I've met quite a few celebrities and athletes through different jobs I've had. One lesson that I've learned is that you should be very careful approaching them when they are with their children. They become understandably cautious and protective.

The Surgeon
11-26-2011, 06:08 PM
you won't find a bigger JMM fan than me, but he talks a LOT. I love him to death and I think he's right more often than not, but it's kind of hard to call him one of boxing's nice guys. He talks trash and always discredits his opponent if he loses.

Agreed bud, same with his bro, although id term it more like he's got a winners mentality, is a bit arrogant which as a fighter is a good quality imo and he uses his bitterness to motivate himself. Guys a true Pro

I think Cotto too has a similar mindset and demeanour but tends to bite his tongue more so than Ol' Juan

Someone88
11-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Agreed bud, same with his bro, although id term it more like he's got a winners mentality, is a bit arrogant which as a fighter is a good quality imo and he uses his bitterness to motivate himself. Guys a true Pro

I think Cotto too has a similar mindset and demeanour but tends to bite his tongue more so than Ol' Juan

I agree Marquez is competitive and he shows it but he has class he usually is humble.

joseph5620
11-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Genaro Hernandez

He will always get my vote.

katrinapallive
11-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Where is Danny green and Manny Pacquio there..