View Full Version : Ewart Potgieter?

UglyPug
11-19-2011, 06:12 AM
This dude has a 94" reach!!!

was doing a little stroll through past fistic eras, and I stumbled across this guy! I noticed he had a very brief career, fighting 13 times (winning 11, losing 2). . . He was never KO'd, and won all his fights by KO. . .

I can't find any footage of him. . . Anybody know why he didn't go on to become more well known?

D-MiZe
11-19-2011, 06:18 AM
http://www.thetallestman.com/images/ewartpotgieter/ewartpotgieter.jpg

http://www.thetallestman.com/ewartpotgieter.htm

D-MiZe
11-19-2011, 06:19 AM
Potgieter had a promising start, rattling off nine straight wins in South Africa and England against increasingly more challanging competition. His first loss was a ten round decision to Jeff Dyer in Holyoke, Massachussetts. Ewart then headed to the USA's west coast for a series of bouts where he picked up his winning ways again knocking out Dave Roy and Bruce Olson. Unfortunately, Olson died of injuries suffered in his KO to Potgieter. Ewart was perhaps effected by this event as he lost a ten round decision in the month following Olson's death and never boxed as a pro again.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/attachments/tbcb-general-discussions/183798d1270862507-anyone-have-any-info-ewart-potgieter-potgieter-news.jpg

TBear
11-19-2011, 06:52 AM
I have a feeling there aren't video's of him around

There was a thread of tallest boxers a couple years ago. Potgieter was the 4the tallest on that list.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321517

New England
11-19-2011, 08:37 AM
This dude has a 94" reach!!!

was doing a little stroll through past fistic eras, and I stumbled across this guy! I noticed he had a very brief career, fighting 13 times (winning 11, losing 2). . . He was never KO'd, and won all his fights by KO. . .

I can't find any footage of him. . . Anybody know why he didn't go on to become more well known?

94 inches of reach is unreal

hell, my couch is like 87 inches and i literally cannot comprenend a person able to cover its length with his wingspan.

if somebody doesnt get what reach does for punching power i'll have them drop a the leg of a 90 inch couch on your foot and then go over to the chair thats about two feet wide and drop on leg on his foot

lol or have them in the ring with a HW, but that's too much to ask generally.

94 effing inches.

to answer your thread, i have never heard of this man. kind of an obscure reference, certainly, but it wont be the last time i've never heard of sombody

there's an active (i think) HW with a 90 inch reach today named julius long. he mainly uses his reach to tie his man up, lol. he's also seven feet tall and fights close. no wonder he hasnt made lots of headway. he's a journeyman.

incidentally, if you want to find a great american HW, centers in the NBA all have 90+ inch reaches, lol
every damn one of them

and some of them can jump out of the building.

GJC
11-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Funny thing I mentioned this fellow a while ago when we were discussing big fighters. Couldn't remember his name but some clever fellow pointed me in the right direction.
Saw him a couple of times at Harringay, trust me if you can't find film you won't miss much he was pretty useless. Huge fellow though caused quite a stir at the time.

Scott9945
11-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Back in the 1960's, there was a publicity campaign (stunt?) for Ali to fight basketball legend Wilt Chamberlain. They measured Chamberlain's reach on national TV at 103 inches. Obviously the fight never happened.

GJC
11-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Back in the 1960's, there was a publicity campaign (stunt?) for Ali to fight basketball legend Wilt Chamberlain. They measured Chamberlain's reach on national TV at 103 inches. Obviously the fight never happened.
Didn't Ali frighten him off by keep calling out "TIMBERRRR" whenever they met? :)

TBear
11-19-2011, 06:17 PM

If Chamberlain tried it he probably would have had as much sucess as Ed "Too Tall" Jones.

New England
11-19-2011, 06:26 PM

lol what the hell

TBear
11-19-2011, 06:45 PM
lol what the hell

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pYEbga0XueA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Scott9945
11-19-2011, 09:36 PM
<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pYEbga0XueA" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Great find TBear. You have to assume a genuine heavyweight boxer like Ali had bigger than average hands, yet it looked like a father and his 8 year old son when they compared hand size. People have forgotten what an amazing physical speciman Wilt was, especially for that era.

NChristo
11-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Didn't Cus D'Amato offer to train Wilt ?, might of been someone else but Cus jumps to mind. Wilt's dad talked him out of going to sign for the fight suggesting that he works on his free throws instead :lol1:.

BigStereotype
11-20-2011, 01:28 PM
94 inches of reach is unreal

hell, my couch is like 87 inches and i literally cannot comprenend a person able to cover its length with his wingspan.

if somebody doesnt get what reach does for punching power i'll have them drop a the leg of a 90 inch couch on your foot and then go over to the chair thats about two feet wide and drop on leg on his foot

lol or have them in the ring with a HW, but that's too much to ask generally.

94 effing inches.

to answer your thread, i have never heard of this man. kind of an obscure reference, certainly, but it wont be the last time i've never heard of sombody

there's an active (i think) HW with a 90 inch reach today named julius long. he mainly uses his reach to tie his man up, lol. he's also seven feet tall and fights close. no wonder he hasnt made lots of headway. he's a journeyman.

incidentally, if you want to find a great american HW, centers in the NBA all have 90+ inch reaches, lol
every damn one of them

and some of them can jump out of the building.

Can you imagine Javale McGee fighting with his 7'1"/88" wingspan/crazy megatron athleticism? He'd be Wlad + 8"!!