View Full Version : UFC Ratings bomb on Fox

HUGEBOXINGFAN
11-13-2011, 02:09 PM
They did less than 4.6 million and got smashed by college football and the Pacquiao fight.

Seeing reports that UFC did 4.6 million viewers on FOX. If true, that's far far less than I was thinking.

Source Kevin Iole twitter.

KevinI Kevin Iole
Seeing reports that UFC did 4.6 million viewers on FOX. If true, that's far far less than I was thinking.

ƒallenloki
11-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Beat me to it.

The show was decent, but man Dana White was on self destruct mode last night...

A few gems:

- Instead of praising Junior Dos Santos, he trashed Cain
- When asked about the prelims he said people shouldn't be cheap and buy tickets to the show and stop *****ing

BKM-2010
11-13-2011, 03:08 PM
I heard a large percentage switched channels as soon as the short main event was over too.
Anyway 4.6 mill isn't too bad.

RlCKY
11-13-2011, 03:15 PM
I dunno how accurate that number is, cuz i was switching back and forth. I didn't keep the channel on any longer than 5 minutes. i'm sure lots of others were doing the same thing, so it is kind of hard go gauge.

Anybody know what number they were shooting for?

SLIMY RAT
11-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Instead of 50mins build up..

5mins walking to the ring..

They should have had the Bendo/Clay fight on.. would have been a great advert

dough401
11-13-2011, 03:55 PM
As i MMA fan i would really like to see how much more respect and ratings would have been today if they showed the Bendo fight witch was great "fight of the night"

F l i c k e r
11-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Well when you show only 1 fight. That's what you have to expect.

4.6 is still good considering a 5 min show.

Anthony342
11-13-2011, 05:52 PM
So what does this mean for future UFC on Fox shows? Will there by any? How many shows did they sign a contract with Fox to air?

.Mik.
11-13-2011, 06:24 PM
It was just a teaser show, its not going to make any difference. It was a free show for Fox, it isnt part of the deal. They arent daft enough to base their business ventures off one fight on one show.

.Mik.
11-13-2011, 06:44 PM
By the way, 5.7m are the more accurate viewing figures.

ƒallenloki
11-13-2011, 08:08 PM
By the way, 5.7m are the more accurate viewing figures.

I think that's the peak viewership

IronBoxer
11-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Right now its too early to speculate.However they overhyped the JDS-Velasquez fight and as consequence they paid the price with a 64 second fight that now has all the keyboard warriors and media screaming "I told you so"

Blair_Wells#32
11-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Too Much Talking beofore the Fights on Fox, so i switched over to sportsnet and they ended up showing the Guida vs Henderson fight before Cain & Dos Santos and another undercard fight afterwards.

monaroCountry
11-13-2011, 10:39 PM
I think that's the peak viewership

all 64 seconds of it.

I think a far lower number than the original 4.6 mill was the average.

That was a disappointment.

Arab Spring
11-13-2011, 11:31 PM
It would have been higher had the fight lasted longer

-Swizzy-
11-14-2011, 02:02 AM
4.6 is the avg from 9pm-10pm. The fight itself started at about 9:30. The peak numbers for the 1min fight aren't out yet.

oscar_angels091
11-14-2011, 02:20 AM
So what does this mean for future UFC on Fox shows? Will there by any? How many shows did they sign a contract with Fox to air?

this was pretty much a welcome to fox show, a preview. They signed the deal for 7 yrs, and the next fight will actually be a full show type of thing

Harry Balls
11-14-2011, 02:43 AM
in what universe did this bomb?

people who thought this was gonna get 10mm or more is delusional.
It's respectable ratings, around the point or slightly below what they expected.

G A M E
11-14-2011, 04:14 AM
****.. glee gets more viewers

ƒallenloki
11-14-2011, 04:29 AM
4.6 is the avg from 9pm-10pm. The fight itself started at about 9:30. The peak numbers for the 1min fight aren't out yet.

Hmm... I'm hearing that 4.6 includes 9-10PM PST... Meaning they're including numbers for programming that wasn't theirs

.Mik.
11-14-2011, 04:36 AM
No, the 5.7m figures were the AVERAGE to the 1 hour show as released Sunday afternoon by Nielsen Media Research through FOX. The 4.6m were preliminary figures.

ƒallenloki
11-14-2011, 05:02 AM
No, the 5.7m figures were the AVERAGE to the 1 hour show as released Sunday afternoon by Nielsen Media Research through FOX. The 4.6m were preliminary figures.

You're right.

This ratings crap is kind of confusing. There are 15 minute segments that have individual ratings too...

Here's what I've gathered:

- 3.1%, or 5.7M people, is the official average for the entire hour
- The range was from 4.6M to 6.5 (albeit for one minute) during the hour.
- Per Nielson, this broke the Thompson-Kimbo record 3.1>3.0 (funny math)

Seems like this was actually quite successful, then.

.Mik.
11-14-2011, 08:40 AM
I'd be surprised if the peak of the show (ie the fight) didnt close in on 7m viewers, which is actually incredibly successful. It was the most watched professional for 8 years since Lewis beat Vitali. Now, whether people are put off by the quick ending in subsequent FOX UFC shows is difficult to tell. But lets be honest, UFC PPV's are far more interesting than boxing ones at the moment. More exposure is only going to eventually lead to success.

HUGEBOXINGFAN
11-14-2011, 10:49 AM
That is actually a lot lower number than I thought they were going to get considering how HUGE they were claiming this was. Monday Night Football averages about 14.5 million viewers every week. The contender on NBC averaged 8 million viewers when it was running in 2005 that means each episode of the contender blew away their so called massive Heavyweight Championship fight.

-Swizzy-
11-14-2011, 02:09 PM
That is actually a lot lower number than I thought they were going to get considering how HUGE they were claiming this was. Monday Night Football averages about 14.5 million viewers every week. The contender on NBC averaged 8 million viewers when it was running in 2005 that means each episode of the contender blew away their so called massive Heavyweight Championship fight.

how many shows do you know of that debut with 5.7 million viewers?

It was a success considering the other events that were on at the same time like college football.

Clegg
11-14-2011, 02:43 PM

Your agenda is pretty sad. The two most pathetic discussions on this site are boxing vs MMA and arguing about ratings and PPV numbers. Congrats on combining the two.

Why not just carve 'BOXING4EVA' into your arm? Remember to go down the road not across the street.

ƒallenloki
11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
how many shows do you know of that debut with 5.7 million viewers?

It was a success considering the other events that were on at the same time like college football.

5.7M is decent, but it's far from a booming success. A very successful show, for example, pulls in 20M+ weekly. Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football consistantly hit this number. I'm interested in future numbers considering that while the outcome of this fight wasn't worst case scenario, it was close.

The real key to this UFC on Fox thing is to boost the PPV ratings. The expectation (from Lorenzo) is that this event will add about 100,000 more PPV buys to the next shows... While this is a lofty expectation, you get the idea.

dough401
11-14-2011, 04:54 PM
5.7M is decent, but it's far from a booming success. A very successful show, for example, pulls in 20M+ weekly. Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football consistantly hit this number. I'm interested in future numbers considering that while the outcome of this fight wasn't worst case scenario, it was close.

The real key to this UFC on Fox thing is to boost the PPV ratings. The expectation (from Lorenzo) is that this event will add about 100,000 more PPV buys to the next shows... While this is a lofty expectation, you get the idea.

All very good and true but trying to compare UFC first fox show to Monday night football witch is the number rated show on tv in its time slot tough comparison but as the UFC is gaining its fan base to the more common fan it should be good to see improvments in the near future i dont believe it will ever be able to compare to Americas pass time NFL only time will tell...

deemo
11-15-2011, 10:21 PM
i thougt it would do much better, i know this was a long time ago but tyson vs mathis did 43 million on fox. i guess football and the paquia fight hurt them.

.Mik.
11-16-2011, 07:06 PM
The fight peaked at 8.8m by the way.

dough401
11-16-2011, 07:19 PM
The fight peaked at 8.8m by the way.

Saw that today as well helped the cause 8.8 looks a lot better then the 4.6 or whatever everyone saing a couple days ago...