View Full Version : If you could bring back any heavyweight from any era to fight today, who would it be?

Great John L
11-12-2011, 12:04 AM
If you could bring back any heavyweight from any era in boxing history and have them fight in the modern era, who would you be most interested in seeing? I myself would be primarily interested in older fighters, and I would love to see Dempsey/Jeffries fighting today. What about you, fellow boxing fans?

SCtrojansbaby
11-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Having Tyson back would obviously be huge for boxing

Avicci
11-12-2011, 03:17 AM
Definatly Tyson,Joe Louis and Ali.I will enjoy watching any of these destroy the nowdays pathethick heavyweights :chairshot :boxing:

Barn
11-12-2011, 05:02 AM
Liston or Frazier.

Marchegiano
11-12-2011, 07:56 AM
Gypsy Jem Mace. 190lbs of **** the K bro's face,

Sugarj
11-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Can you imagine the money a prime Ali or Tyson would generate in today's heavyweight division.

I'd laugh my ass off watching Larry Holmes out jab Wladimir, despite Manny Steward's protestations that Wlad has one of the best heavyweight jabs in history.

To be honest, all respect to the Klitschko's in this day and age. They always turn up in shape and never seem to have sloppy performances. Granted, there are boring nights but rarely an 'off form' day.

I've said before that the path to riches has never been easier from a young heavyweight boxer's perspective. I can't fathom why America hasn't produced a superb young heavyweight talent for so long.....

Critics seem to say that in America the most promising larger athletes are being pushed into football and basketball. However, if that is the case surely the talent pool is being very much diluted and the chances for financial/athletic success less likely. The heavyweight championship of the world is a huge cash cow and a very exploitable niche right now, the Klitschkos' wont be around for too much longer.

NChristo
11-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Jack Johnson just too see how he would adapt to the current climate.

Sugarj
11-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Jack Johnson just too see how he would adapt to the current climate.

Yea! He'd get a fair ticking off for holding and talking by refs and he'd need to up his pace to suit the 12 round distance.

I think a modern conditioner would probably have him weighing a little more than he did back then. But with his natural talent a 224Lb motivated Johnson would be a nasty matchup for the modern heavyweight.

He'd be a colourful character too, easily one of the most famous people on earth these days, probably loved and hated in equal measure!

Ziggy Stardust
11-12-2011, 01:35 PM
However, if that is the case surely the talent pool is being very much diluted and the chances for financial/athletic success less likely.

Not really.....In football, basketball, and baseball you can make a cool million a year sitting on the bench. There are quite literally guys out there who rarely play who make a million a year for doing very little aside from warming a bench.

Poet

Marchegiano
11-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Yea! He'd get a fair ticking off for holding and talking by refs and he'd need to up his pace to suit the 12 round distance.

I think a modern conditioner would probably have him weighing a little more than he did back then. But with his natural talent a 224Lb motivated Johnson would be a nasty matchup for the modern heavyweight.

He'd be a colourful character too, easily one of the most famous people on earth these days, probably loved and hated in equal measure!

I agree with what you've said about contemporary rules and handlers shaping him a bit differently, but his knifing was primo. Much better than most ATGs. I honestly think a few feints, a bit of knifing, and some aggressive clinch work wham bam champion. Maybe a bit different from what we've seen, but the talents are there, and how.

IronDanHamza
11-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Mike Tyson or Muhammad Ali would obviously bring the most excitment being commerical and global superstars. As they were in both their respective eras.

But I'd like to see Liston come back and kill everything in sight.

TAC602
11-12-2011, 02:03 PM
1. Tyson
2. Foreman
3. Liston
4. Ali
5. Holmes

Capaedia
11-13-2011, 12:26 AM
I'd like to watch Louis systematically and quietly dismantle the entire division.

Vitali would never hold his right hand low again.

GJC
11-13-2011, 12:38 AM
I'd like to see Marciano because I think he'd suprise a few people

JAB5239
11-13-2011, 06:33 AM
I'd like to watch Louis systematically and quietly dismantle the entire division.

Vitali would never hold his right hand low again.

^^^This^^^

Louis would massacre today's heavyweight division in my opinion.

Silkster
11-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Joe fraisier.
His elusive swarming style would make him untouchable. The klitschos wouldn't stand a chance.

Greatest1942
11-13-2011, 09:22 AM
^^^This^^^

Louis would massacre today's heavyweight division in my opinion.

The above

For two reasons :-

1) To destroy the myth the bigger the better

2) To expose the holes in today's heavies techniques.

Marchegiano
11-13-2011, 09:24 AM
I'd like to see Marciano because I think he'd suprise a few people

Hells yeah buddy! IMO they ain't got chin enough to get in Rocco's ring these days. I went bareknuckle era under the same assumptions. Ol' Gypsy ain't no HW today, but i'm confident those ball-peen hammers would land with devastation, and the old carbide chin will keep him moving.

Quitting happens way too much these days. Often I wonder how many guys would just sit on their stool after the first couple of Brockton Bombs.

Louis is the king, always will be. It'd be nice to see him, but I don't need to see it. It'd be more enjoyable for myself for some small power hitters to maul and man-handle todays sissy ass giants. With that said. 155lbs of **** you up all day long. Sam Langford. Long attacks from short man equals big power.

Sugarj
11-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Not really.....In football, basketball, and baseball you can make a cool million a year sitting on the bench. There are quite literally guys out there who rarely play who make a million a year for doing very little aside from warming a bench.

Poet

You might be right.

But you have to be a damned superb football, basketball or baseball player to be spotted/signed etc for those sums whether you sit on a bench or not. You don't need a particularly decorated amateur boxing record for a heavyweight to turn pro.

Considering how few elite heavyweights there are in the world, it almost seems like an easier route to the riches of a professional athlete. If you have an unbeaten 14 or 15 fight record you could be in line for a title shot, it very nearly happened for Derek Chisora......and even Tyson Fury has been mentioned as a potential opponent by the Klitschkos.

Amazing opportunities. A win over a Klitschko is surely worth millions to the career of a heavyweight.

Sugarj
11-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I agree with what you've said about contemporary rules and handlers shaping him a bit differently, but his knifing was primo. Much better than most ATGs. I honestly think a few feints, a bit of knifing, and some aggressive clinch work wham bam champion. Maybe a bit different from what we've seen, but the talents are there, and how.

Hell I'm a big Johnson fan, he was born to be in the ring. Given a different era of upbringing I'm sure he'd be adaptable.

Great John L
11-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Nothing's more satisfying than watching Louis systematicallyannihilate some big oaf with lightning hands and iron fists imo, same with Ali gracefully picking apart piece by piece a fighter too slow to even approach him Williams and Folley style.

Greatest1942
11-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Nothing's more satisfying than watching Louis systematicallyannihilate some big oaf with lightning hands and iron fists imo, same with Ali gracefully picking apart piece by piece a fighter too slow to even approach him Williams and Folley style.

In all fairness you are doing Williams an injustice. He might have been a lot of thing but he was never a "slow" guy...by the time he fought Ali he had been shot in the belly...He was wasn't even a shadow of the old self.

The Surgeon
11-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Iron Mike Tyson. Imagine the contrast between him and Wlad,

Klitchko "Shake the magic hand Mike"

Tyson "**** Off!" Followed by a kick to the junk, 3 hooks and a bite to the face...

Seriously tho id love to watch the terror unfold as a Young Tyson tore through the division making everyone look as if they were stuck in quickstand as he did it

Remember when HW's threw combinations? None better than Tyson...Mabey Joe Louis

JAB5239
11-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Iron Mike Tyson. Imagine the contrast between him and Wlad,

Klitchko "Shake the magic hand Mike"

Tyson "**** Off!" Followed by a kick to the junk, 3 hooks and a bite to the face...

Seriously tho id love to watch the terror unfold as a Young Tyson tore through the division making everyone look as if they were stuck in quickstand as he did it

Remember when HW's threw combinations? None better than Tyson...Mabey Joe Louis

Remember when they went to the body more than 3 or 4 times a fight?

BigStereotype
11-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Jack Dempsey. I don't know how he'd do against Vitali, but he'd knock out Wlad and run rampant over everyone else in the division. Him vs. Vitali would be an awesome clash and Dempsey's superior handspeed might carry him. I think he'd be able to get inside Vitali's reach and put a hurting on him, but he'd take a lot of fire too.

The Surgeon
11-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Remember when they went to the body more than 3 or 4 times a fight?

Ahh for the good old days of HW Boxing...

Body punching another Tyson Trait....Vintage Tyson that is.

NChristo
11-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Ahh for the good old days of HW Boxing...

Body punching another Tyson Trait....Vintage Tyson that is.

I've seen Odlanier Solis go to the body extremely well in quite a few fights, there are a few really skilled heavyweights but the main problem today is obviously conditioning, has anyone else's knee blown out mid fight. :thinking:

Marchegiano
11-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Jack Dempsey. I don't know how he'd do against Vitali, but he'd knock out Wlad and run rampant over everyone else in the division. Him vs. Vitali would be an awesome clash and Dempsey's superior handspeed might carry him. I think he'd be able to get inside Vitali's reach and put a hurting on him, but he'd take a lot of fire too.

Plus Jack's amazing sense of balance. I assume Dempsey would catch Vitali because Jack can throw a decent punch in awkward, and sometimes completely wrong, stances. He's really stumbley sometimes, and wham out of nowhere some thunder. He's a perfect falling puncher. So that fight particularly I see going early on in Jack's favor due to hand speed, and "aggressive defense". The middle rounds I'd say Vitali probably would have found a pace. By the later rounds I assume the improbable punching style of Dempsey would take over. I honestly feel like this one comes down to a style all Jack's own that Vitali hasn't seen before vs basically a big Tunney. Obviously I can see it going the other way, but I don't think thats the likely outcome. Always been an interesting match-up to me.