View Full Version : Modified boxing in MMA starting to prove successful?

$BloodyNate$
11-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Its been said over the years kickboxing and muay thai are more successful then boxing because of the obvious more versatile attack. But it seems recently fighters that are in the elite boxing ablity in mma are starting to be successful in the world class level of MMA.

Junior Dos Santos who is the best boxer at heavyweight is undefeated in the ufc and is fighting Cain for the heavyweight title before the pacqiauo fight. Nick Diaz who trains with
Pro boxers is fighting gsp for the welterweight title. Both have a damn good shot to win If they can succeed with their boxing. By the end of the winter we may have two new champs who are damn good boxers. Not to mention Frankie Edgar has perfected boxing footwork to adapt to his wrestling which males him look pretty damn hard to beat.

Seems like how wrestling dominant for a hot minute, boxing is starting to take over as kong as fighters can keep adaptibnf it well into mma

Everywhere
11-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I know they have always had a heavy emphasis on boxing at Duke Roufus' gym even back when I was there a decade ago, and the success of their fighters speaks for itself.

BKM-2010
11-11-2011, 05:44 PM
I think it goes back and forth between Boxing and Kickboxing. I don't think either striking style is gonna be more dominant. They both work for diffirent type of fighters. I agree with you that the last few years Boxing has become more succesfull in MMA. Notice how the most important Boxing punch(Jab) is very useful in MMA as well.

chosen0309
11-11-2011, 06:02 PM
I think those fighters that have improved their boxing have made for more exciting fights (especially if you are a boxing fan). Frankie Edgar looks ****ing great. I still like to see good takedowns, submissions, leg kicks, etc. though. Its good for the sport.

Marchegiano
11-12-2011, 02:32 PM
To me, regardless of sport, the one punch KO proves pugilistic abilities. No quicker way to win. "boxing" is so many things these days. It's amazing how close MMA gets to fist fencing, and no one seems to recognise it. This "modified" MMA boxing is more similar to LPRR than Queensberry. Make sense given takedowns, throws, and trips were all legal...plus the gloves lack of protection effectively changing guard...hell get into bare knuckler techniques you'll see the similarities everywhere. I'd say MMA has given a chance for a more classic form of boxing. I don't want to say we're going backwards because to most people that means worsening, but I mean it differently. Boxing has changed a few times in the past 2000 years. It doesn't mean it's 2000 years worth of progression because Spartan era boxing, AHD, slaves, BR, LPRR QM all very much different sports in my eyes MMA and LPRR are much closer than MMA and QM. Both in skills displayed and rules allowed. It is an evolution, but not as straight forward as most perceive. to relate it to us physical it's kinda like we got us some monkey feet.

PopoFreitas
11-12-2011, 10:00 PM
funny because diaz is a bjj fighter under cesar gracie and he'll plummed by gsp, edgar is a wrestler and a terrific bjj practitioner under renzo gracie.

jds also started with bjj and is a brown belt under minotauro.

Money Shot
11-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Dos Santos would probably be a B level HW boxer, but he's the best boxer in the UFC with Edgar.

Marchegiano
11-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Dos Santos would probably be a B level HW boxer, but he's the best boxer in the UFC with Edgar.

I disagree. Frankie, Reem, JDS. I'm not saying AO's gonna beat JDS...when that happens. It's just that his hooks have a more true power-line. JDS may be the harder hitter, but he could be hitting even harder. He's not yet using his genetics to their fullest.JDS has good power line in the uppercut, but last night for example. A bit of tightening that punch, and he'd hit harder. Get his 90 degrees going. and learn to jolt instead of jab. Now you've got one HW with Frankie level skills.

Ring Leader
11-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Overeems boxing is overrated as hell, Bob Sapp won a K1 grand prix, I'll let you alalyze that from there

JDS has the best hands in MMA, Hector Lombard honourable mention...

Dice
11-13-2011, 11:50 AM
If I can add to everything you guys have said, boxing has LONG been successful in MMA.

Robbie Lawlor was boxing out dudes left and right as well as Nick Diaz, Andrei Arlovski (whos boxing might be better then JDS its just hard for him to show it with his glass chin) Vitor Belfort and Fedor Emelieanko all predominantely used there boxing skills to get victories.

While I now firmly believe that with the crappy ass judging in the US that wrestling is the best tool to have since u can take a guy down and stay on top and somehow win, its nice to see all kinds of styles be successful and I actually wish more styles would be introduced to MMA, I wish Judo was as successful as wrestling in MMA and I wish there were Karate and Kung Fu practitioners that were successful in mma as well.

And on a wrestling note, in my opinion taking a guy down and defending and getting out of submissions is the same damn thing as standing up with a guy, getting tagged a bunch of times but not getting knocked out.

Shout outs to guys like Chael and Ben Askren and Jon Fitch (whether u think there boring or not) for using wrestling the right way

Dice
11-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Overeems boxing is overrated as hell, Bob Sapp won a K1 grand prix, I'll let you alalyze that from there

JDS has the best hands in MMA, Hector Lombard honourable mention...

Hector has crazy power, JDS best hands in MMA? I think hes sick but I think Anderson, Lyoto, and Vitor have better hands then JDS, I actually think Andrei Arlovski would have the best hands in MMA he just has a glass chin so he can go all out like a JDS would.

Cigano while having good hands is kinda predictable, him and Aldo and Marlon Sandro are all actually pretty similar, they rely HEAVILY on uppercuts and straight shots but they got the power to do so.

CiganoBoxer
11-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Boxing alive and well in mma :boxing:
JDS has some great skills on his feet and love his movement !

shadeyfizzle
11-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I myself had never been a big fan of muay thai striking in mma for the simple reason that its too stationary. Wicked leg kicks but if one could neutralize it by staying out of range amd using movement then muay thai's only effective weapon would be wild haymakers since their straight punches have nothing behind them and are only used to set up kicks.

On the other extreme though is cung le who seems to be able to do everything a boxer would do with his punches but with his legs. And I do believe what he does is very effective and very underutilized in mma.