View Full Version : Where do you rate Sugar Ray Robinson at LW and LHW?

SBleeder
11-11-2011, 09:15 AM
And how would he have done against LW greats like Duran, Gans, Benny Leonard, Whitaker, and LHW greats like Charles, Greb, Tunney, Moore, etc.?

IronDanHamza
11-11-2011, 09:24 AM
I don't rank him at either weight class because he barely fought there or atleast enough to be ranked in the Top 10.

But, at Lightweight, I would probably pick him over anyone, to be honest.

At Light Heavyweight, I just think he's comletely out of his element and would lose to most ATG's.

Johnson
Foster
Charles
Moore
Tunney

etc etc I can't see him beating that calibur of fighter so far out his element.

Sugarj
11-11-2011, 09:31 AM
And how would he have done against LW greats like Duran, Gans, Benny Leonard, Whitaker, and LHW greats like Charles, Greb, Tunney, Moore, etc.?

Well obviously lightweight and light heavyweight weren't Robinson's ideal fighting weights.

When Ray did move up, he was post prime too.

Do you mean in a hypothetical pound for pound/skill for skill/head to head sense? Or actually if for example he were to boil down to lightweight or bulk up to light heavyweight when in his prime?

In a pound for pound/skill for skill/head to head/prime for prime sense there aren't many that I'd pick to beat Robinson taking weight out of the equation. But in my opinion he'd have the most serious trouble with:

Roy Jones Jnr
Ray Leonard
Thomas Hearns

(albeit at welterweight)

Out of the lightweights, he'd certainly be tested by Duran, Benny Leonard and the jab of Gans.....and Whitaker wouldn't flatter him. But I think he'd beat them.

Of the light heavyweights you listed, Greb (on paper) and Ezzard Charles would be threats if weight wasn't an issue. But again, I'd shade Robinson, the guy was the complete article!!

GJC
11-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Not too sure @ LW but I'd have liked to see him more at light heavy, that result against Maxim was a freak but he looked pretty good in there until the heat kicked in. The fight against Moore was mooted a fair bit but never came off which was a shame as that would've been a classic.