View Full Version : Smokin' Joe Frazier Passes Away at age 67

DarkTerror88
11-08-2011, 12:37 AM
And I bet he gave it hell.

As a very young boy who often got into trouble, stumbling into Joe Fraziers gym was the greatest thing to ever happen in my life. I was a reformed person. Under the tutelage of Joe, I learned the Ins and outs of boxing. I knew how to box like hearns, I know how to counterpunch, but I preferred to be a swarmer, because it was much more fun.

I was blessed with unnatural strength and an inhuman toughness and preserverance that greatly helped my boxing. But it was the dedication, work ethic, and never give up attitude that Joe Frazier instilled me that I take heart too. It helped my school grades and study habits, leading to high ACT scores and good grades. But it bettered me as person. As my role model, father figure, best friend, cornerman, trainer and figure of high respect. I will always rate Frazier as the toughest most determined man ever to enter the ring. He is for me the suprafighter, the best fighter in history. Is he the kind of boxer like Willie Pep? Is his resume as strong as Ezzard Charles? Perhaps not. But he trained and worked harder than any fighter before or after, and showed up with the intention to take you to hell and back.

The most remarkable human being I have ever met, my number 5 ATG heavyweight, my favorite fighter, undisputed heavy weight champion of the world, and perhaps the greatest win ever in the most important fight on March 4th 1971, Joe Frazier is my idol.

Farwell my old friend, the final bell has rung.

Capaedia
11-08-2011, 12:42 AM
RIP Smokin' Joe.

Hell of a man.

Scott9945
11-08-2011, 12:43 AM

As a very young boy who often got into trouble, stumbling into Joe Fraziers gym was the greatest thing to ever happen in my life. I was a reformed person. Under the tutelage of Joe, I learned the Ins and outs of boxing. I knew how to box like hearns, I know how to counterpunch, but I preferred to be a swarmer, because it was much more fun.

I was blessed with unnatural strength and an inhuman toughness and preserverance that greatly helped my boxing. But it was the dedication, work ethic, and never give up attitude that Joe Frazier instilled me that I take heart too. It helped my school grades and study habits, leading to high ACT scores and good grades. But it bettered me as person. As my role model, father figure, best friend, cornerman, trainer and figure of high respect. I will always rate Frazier as the toughest most determined man ever to enter the ring. He is for me the suprafighter, the best fighter in history. Is he the kind of boxer like Willie Pep? Is his resume as strong as Ezzard Charles? Perhaps not. But he trained and worked harder than any fighter before or after, and showed up with the intention to take you to hell and back.

The most remarkable human being I have ever met, my number 5 ATG heavyweight, my favorite fighter, undisputed heavy weight champion of the world, and perhaps the greatest win ever in the most important fight on March 4th 1971, Joe Frazier is my idol.

Very good. Clearly a heartfelt post.

Capaedia
11-08-2011, 12:46 AM
Floyd Mayweather is taking the costs for his funeral, according to Facebook.

blaze778
11-08-2011, 12:49 AM

Awesome post. I would green K you again if I could.

It's nice to know that you had the honor and privilege of knowing Mr. Frazier. He's one of the reasons why boxing is the greatest sport ever.

RIP to one of the greatest.

BigStereotype
11-08-2011, 12:57 AM
My sincerest condolences. We're all feeling this but it must be especially hard for you and those closest to him. I'm sure Death came for him in his sleep, because if he was awake, there would have been a fight. That's just the kind of guy Smokin' Joe was. If we see another heavyweight with half the courage and aggression of boxing, it could make boxing a true American past time again. He was a true warrior and he will be dearly missed.

Harry Balls
11-08-2011, 01:18 AM
sad news.

r.i.p great champ.

GJC
11-08-2011, 05:42 AM

Great post, We all lost a little something with Joe passing, you more than most I imagine so my sympathies DT. It seemed to me thay Joe was such a fighting man that he never seemed to find peace in retirement, I hope he finds it now. Joe whilst he should make anyone's top 10 HW list never scores that great in H2H match ups but when you think, he lost to 2 fighters. Head to head those 2 fighters would have one hell of a chance against Joe Louis or any other HW so let's not write off Joe h2h. Foreman knocked him down several times, people forget Frazier got up every time. Ali blinded him Frazier had to be held back from going out to fight. Some fighter, some warrior. Not many fighters win the fight of the century after all.
Start counting to 10 he'll get up, he always gets up.

bojangles1987
11-08-2011, 07:06 AM
There were two fighters completely responsible for my becoming a boxing fan. One was Roy Jones Jr., who is the first fighter I remember watching as a kid. The other was Joe Frazier, who as weird as this sounds I first remember from a set of encyclopedias my parents had. Each one was dedicated to events that happened in a certain year, and most of them were from between 1967-1973, so there were large parts of them dedicated to boxing. I remember reading about Joe Frazier in the years leading up to the Fight of the Century, being interested, and asking my parents about Frazier, and eventually seeing fights they had taped. Eventually I saw Frazier fights on ESPN Classic, and was immediately a fan. There's never been anyone I enjoyed watching more.

I hope that with his passing, we can appreciate Joe's career for how special it was. I also hope that we can reflect on his life without immediately bringing up Ali. Yes he was a large part of Joe's career, but Joe himself was about so much more.

You'll never be forgotten while there's a real boxing fan left in the world Mr. Frazier. Rest in peace.

bojangles1987
11-08-2011, 07:07 AM

Green k. Sorry this must hit you harder than most.

BattlingNelson
11-08-2011, 07:11 AM
A very sad day. Rest in peace champ.

^^^^ That moved me quite a bit. My condolences to you if you are family or close to Joe.

JAB5239
11-08-2011, 07:28 AM

An excellent eulogy to share with this section. Im sure Joe is proud. :fing02:

Jay Volcano
11-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Rest in peace Smokin' Joe, you will be well remembered.

lazy
11-08-2011, 07:59 AM
R.I.P. Joe Frazier

New England
11-08-2011, 08:34 AM
RIP.

if there's a heaven you know joe is back in his prime and has a couple tune ups scheduled before a big fight with another ATG

http://youtu.be/nnN60d3kaiw
sorry i cant embed, but this is my favorite rendition of a terrific song sung by arguably the greatest living tenor with the death of pavarotti

that's placido domingo and yo yo ma (the cellist.)
it's ted kennedy's funeral
felt it appropriate. it's called panis angelicus.

love you guys
take care
peter

Marchegiano
11-08-2011, 08:41 AM
The list of living legends was already small. I'm gonna murder my bag today.

CarlosG815
11-08-2011, 10:03 AM
A very sad day. Rest in peace champ.

^^^^ That moved me quite a bit. My condolences to you if you are family or close to Joe.

Awesome GIF Nelson. Nobody could make Ali miss like that.

RubenSonny
11-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Rest in peace Joe you will be truly missed. Not only the best in fighting heavyweight one of the best of all times and a great man.

$BloodyNate$
11-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Frazier was a beast. Huge inspiration especially living only an hour and a half away from philly. Norton took it to ali's brain with their tactical battles But Frazier straight up took Ali to hell and back in their thriller WAR! They need a statue in philly.

R.I.P Smokin Joe Frazier! The ****ing man.

Southpaw Stinger
11-08-2011, 10:31 AM
R.I.P. Joe.

Top bloke!

Flo_Raiden
11-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Rest in peace champ. No one will ever forget what you've done in your career.

Philly should make a statue in honor of Joe Frazier.

BattlingNelson
11-08-2011, 10:43 AM
The quote below is taken from poster demigawd from another forum. It's just outstanding and shows what a fine human being Joe Frazier was:

I was talking to a friend of mine who is connected to the Frazier family, and he told me this funny little anecdote about Frazier while he was in hospice care.

When it became clear his condition was terminal and no other options were available to him, Frazier shook his head, then suddenly started uncontrollably laughing. His family, confused and in absolute grief, asked what was so funny.

"I'm just angry that sonuva***** is actually gonna end up outliving me. This was Futch's idea, I know it"

Everyone there fell silent, then burst into laughter along with him as they all knew immediately whom he was talking about.

Great John L
11-08-2011, 10:54 AM
God bles his soul. A great man, never ****y, never arrogant. A humble, blue collar fighter. Rest in Peace Smokin Joe.

bojangles1987
11-08-2011, 10:59 AM
The quote below is taken from poster demigawd from another forum. It's just outstanding and shows what a fine human being Joe Frazier was:

That's exactly what I would expect Joe Frazier to say too.

Kid McCoy
11-08-2011, 11:38 AM
RIP champ. A genuine legend and everything you'd want in a fighter. He'll never be forgotten.

mdizzle9000
11-08-2011, 11:47 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5PEQQYSRHP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

*OG Wenger*
11-08-2011, 12:03 PM
You may be gone but your name will live on forever champ. You have been an inspiration to myself and millions others.

RIP smokin Joe!

paulsinghnl
11-08-2011, 12:29 PM
"a small piece of leather that was well put together", R.I.P. Smokin' Joe.

a humble fighter, that put fear into his opponents because of his toughness, work ethic, constant pressure.

beautiful post by the thread starter. hope you do find peace Joe, you will be missed.

kendom
11-08-2011, 02:00 PM
RIP Frazier a true champ, never will be forgotten

IronBoxer
11-08-2011, 02:44 PM
He was a great man and what got me into boxing. RIP buddy.

IronDanHamza
11-08-2011, 02:52 PM
R.I.P Joe.

Such a great fighter, warrior and left it all in the ring.

He will always be remembered as a great fighter.

Jim Jeffries
11-08-2011, 03:13 PM
RIP champ. Smokin' Joe will live on in the hearts and minds of boxing fans all over the world.

A bit from an article I read earlier:

But my favorite Frazier anecdote comes from the first fight against Ali, in the Garden in 1971. Frazier would go on to win in a unanimous decision, dealing Ali his first professional loss. But Ali dominated the early rounds. If I remember the anecdote correctly, during one of these rounds Ali taunted Frazier, asking him “Joe, don’t you know I’m God?”

To which Frazier replied, “Lord, you’re in the wrong place tonight.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/sites/default/files/nfs/uploaded/u12/2011/11/03_Ali-Frazier1971.jpg

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/282583/smokin-joe-rip-daniel-foster

The Monk
11-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't post much thesedays, but I felt compelled to pay my respects to Smokin' Joe.

One of the memories I have of growing up was watching classic fights on TV after my parents had gone to bed. My favourite fight was The Thrilla in Manilla and I had no qualms with it being repeated regularly and would sit through it each time with as much awe and excitement as the very first time I saw it. But it wasn't the skills of the winner that caught my eye, it was the heart and will of Frazier.

Rest easy champ.

Capaedia
11-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Isn't it nice to see universal love and respect for Joe Frazier from so many different places?

From the likes of Lebron James to Don King and every boxing personality imaginable, nothing but respect.

fight_professor
11-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Been at work all day, so only now replying. Damn sad news, Joe was a legend.

GJC
11-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Thats wonderful. Did cross my mind they might have told him in those last few hours that Foreman or Ali were coming back and he had 1st shot. Might well have got him jumping up to start his roadwork :)
For all he achieved in his career don't forget he was the son of a one armed sharecropper and the father of a lawyer, that's one hell of an achievement in one life.

fight_professor
11-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Indeed.

Made a success from no start at all.

DarkTerror88
11-08-2011, 08:09 PM

That quote is so much like him. He and Eddie are doing good work up there.

When i went to the gym today, and i looked at the empty ring at 7:00 AM, i closed my eyes and saw all the footage he showed me of him shadow boxing in the ring. I would look at the speed bag and see him hitting it,i see him showing kids how to punch the double end bag, i see him slamming the 200lbs heavy bag, lifting it effortlessly with left hooks. I see him sitting in his chair, legs up on the desk, cane across his lap, newspaper outstretched, getting ready to start a day of hard work teaching kids. I can never walk into a boxing gym and look at it the same way again.

Terry A
11-08-2011, 09:34 PM

That's a very fine tribute to your mentor.

I was an amateur boxer & had a fight scheduled at the Palace Theater in Greensburg, Pa. This was in 1978-1979. Joe Frazier was in a singing group & was going to do some singing before & after the fights. I had always had a "man-crush" on Joe Frazier & when I was finally able to meet him, I was awestruck! I said "Hello Champ!" and we shook hands. I may have mumbled something, I don't know. I was smiling so broad & I was so pumped up!

Flash forward until I had my children. They knew my stories inside & out. One thing in particular I would do is sometimes, for no real reason, just say out loud "You've seen Joe Frazier?" This came from an interview Ali was doing before he fought Frazier the 2nd time I think, maybe before their 1st fight. Anyway, he was giving an interview & somebody in the crowd mentioned that Joe Frazier was coming into the same building. And Ali said "You've seen Joe Frazier??" The way he said it was a mixture of feigned fear & comedy. For some reason, that always stuck with me. Many times, for no reason, my kids would just say out loud "You've seen Joe Frazier?"

I'm sure many of us fight fans have special memories of our favorite fighters. Some may be silly like mine. Some are poignant like Dark Terror's. But they're now in our heads and our hearts. Great memories from a great warrior!

When I heard he passed, I didn't cry out loud. But I was close. That big lump in your throat. The tears just waiting to roll. It's the end of an era. One link from the golden days of heavyweight boxing is now gone. He will not be replaced.

May God bless his family, loved ones and friends with peace and many fond memories. And may God bless Joe Frazier.

Terry A
11-08-2011, 09:36 PM

In a thread full of really good posts, that was an outstanding story Bat! Thank you for sharing it with us!

RINGG
11-08-2011, 10:21 PM
May he Rest In Peace.

JAB5239
11-09-2011, 05:28 AM
<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/PvvDj2fnKoQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/PvvDj2fnKoQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

McGoorty
11-09-2011, 11:56 AM

As I've just posted on another thread about Joe, I want to give my condolences to you mate, this must be hard news to take, so I'm really sorry for you bro........ Until I started reading the Bleacher report on Joe, I had no idea as to how god damn sad I would be to hear it, but sheet man I'm feeling it...... its a hammer blow, but this was Smokin' Joe, and he specialised in dealing those out. Once again DT, my sincere condolences to you too.

NChristo
11-09-2011, 04:38 PM
well said. if there are funeral arrangements I hope Ali has enough class to shake his way to the funeral and pay his respects. if he can sit, shake, and bobble his head through commercials and his own tributes he can take the time to pay respect to Joe.

The **** is wrong with you.

Scott9945
11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
The **** is wrong with you.

He has a lot of class. Too bad all of it is low. :nonono:

The Surgeon
11-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Toughest man i ever saw fight. When Frazier fought u knew ud get ur money's worth too. Terrible loss to boxing, and im sorry Dark Terror u must be feeling this alot more than the rest of us bud...

Floyd Mayweather is not know for his class out of the ring but if he is picking up the funeral tab then thats excellent. He did it for old foe Hernandez too