View Full Version : Tommy Loughran and Maxie Rosenbloom

Kid McCoy
11-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Two of the all-time feather-fisted greats (33 KOs between them in almost 500 fights). Their careers spanned the same era, the same divisions and they had a lot of common opponents. Anyone know why they never fought? And who would have won?

Terry A
11-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Can't remember exactly where I read this, but I'm pretty sure there was bad blood between them which resulted in a fight inside either a restraunt or bar.

Now I'm only guessing here but after that, I don't think either of them ever wanted to take the chance of losing against somebody they disliked so strongly. And that's only a wild guess.

I hold Loughran in higher regard than I do "Slapise". For whatever reason, Rosenbloom has been portrayed for so long as almost clownish that it maybe affected my own objectivity.

If they were fighting a 15 rounder, I would bet on Loughran to W15. It wouldn't be a fight I would enjoy watching, as I'm a fan of heavy hitters and devastating KO's. Fights where one of them is staring at a penlight held by a Dr while tweety-birds are circling above. :)

TheGreatA
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Rosenbloom wanted it in the late 1920's, but his style was never fan-friendly which allowed him to be passed by as a title challenger until Loughran vacated the title and moved up to the heavyweight division.

Not many wanted to fight Rosenbloom who made even Loughran appear a puncher.

Greatest1942
11-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Two of the all-time feather-fisted greats (33 KOs between them in almost 500 fights). Their careers spanned the same era, the same divisions and they had a lot of common opponents. Anyone know why they never fought? And who would have won?

There were talks in the papers but it never quite materialized.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=0dxPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=fFQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4967,3321564&dq=rosenbloom+loughran&hl=en

The above link talks of Maxie failing to get attention inspite of winnning.

ROSENBLOOM TO FIGHT LOUGHRAN IN TITLE BOUT
Chicago Tribune.

It would have been a great but boring fight.:blow:

Barn
11-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Loughran damaged his right hand when he was young which hampered his punching power as it affected him his whole life. One of the reasons he had the style he had.

McGoorty
11-02-2011, 05:14 AM
No I can't explain that, but I have always admired Loughrans superior skills, he reminds me of LW Sammy Mandell in his complete mastery of the ring, Loughran must rate high on ATG lists and same for Slapsie, I'd say the reason they never fought was that they never stopped fighting and just had no time to meet, Maybe Rosenbloom was getting too old and knew he couldn't handle the younger fighter. One thing is for sure mate,.... neither of them need the other guy to be remembered for their greatness.

GJC
11-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Loughran damaged his right hand when he was young which hampered his punching power as it affected him his whole life. One of the reasons he had the style he had.
The greatest one handed fighter you'll see, Loughran

GJC
11-02-2011, 08:15 AM
No I can't explain that, but I have always admired Loughrans superior skills, he reminds me of LW Sammy Mandell in his complete mastery of the ring, Loughran must rate high on ATG lists and same for Slapsie, I'd say the reason they never fought was that they never stopped fighting and just had no time to meet, Maybe Rosenbloom was getting too old and knew he couldn't handle the younger fighter. One thing is for sure mate,.... neither of them need the other guy to be remembered for their greatness.

Mac think you'll find Loughran was the older

McGoorty
11-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Mac think you'll find Loughran was the older
Gee, well look how old Max is in this film.......<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WOXzWvYH_rQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

McGoorty
11-02-2011, 08:45 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p7Jn6rB6KV0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

McGoorty
11-02-2011, 08:46 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sqqVmA5PqkM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

McGoorty
11-02-2011, 08:48 AM
The "Other" Maxie..<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RpFTVrutZe4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

McGoorty
11-02-2011, 08:51 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p7jn6rb6kv0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
........................................ Lol.

Kid McCoy
11-02-2011, 09:25 PM

Which is why I doubt one was ducking the other. Throughout their careers both were willing to take on the best. Just one of those fights that bit the dust through no fault of either man, most likely because they didn't think enough people would pay to watch it. Shame there's no footage of Maxie's fights, though I doubt he'd look as impressive on film as Loughran does. A lot of Maxie's tactics would probably get him DQ'd today.

McGoorty
11-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Which is why I doubt one was ducking the other. Throughout their careers both were willing to take on the best. Just one of those fights that bit the dust through no fault of either man, most likely because they didn't think enough people would pay to watch it. Shame there's no footage of Maxie's fights, though I doubt he'd look as impressive on film as Loughran does. A lot of Maxie's tactics would probably get him DQ'd today.
Yeah I agree,... anyone saying that a guy like Max needs more good names on his resume is an idiot.