View Full Version : wtf happened to cro-cop?

UglyPug
10-29-2011, 10:29 PM
ok i don't know a lot about MMA so don't crucify me if you think im wrong. . .

but he loses to journeyman and fringe contenders at most in the UFC now? ever since he got KO'd with his own medicine by gonzaga, he's just been second tier. . .

he was once a top heavyweight, pound for pound type guy?

just normal aging or what?

UglyPug
10-29-2011, 10:31 PM
well i guess he's retiring! FAREWELL CRO-COP! Hall of famer or no?

dan_cov
10-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Definitely a hall of famer.

Age was to do with it yeah, he peaked early & his punch resistance has gone.

It's sad too watch him retire but it's equally as sad watching him lose to guys he'd of ate alive in his prime.

dan_cov
10-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Kongo is one big mutha trucka!

UglyPug
10-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Kongo is one big mutha trucka!

hell yeah. . . lol best body in UFC no homo

UglyPug
10-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Mittrione just beat Congo 29-28 imo

dan_cov
10-29-2011, 11:12 PM
I had it 29-28 Kongo

Gave Kongo the 2nd, landed more though Mittrione was the aggressor & he certainly won the 3rd.

I do disagree with the 30-27 scorecard though, noway.

Marshall89
10-29-2011, 11:28 PM
He got old man, to answer the title to the thread

Money Shot
10-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Mittrione won the first two rounds clearly so I think he was robbed.

Cro Crop, is just tired and spent.

$BloodyNate$
10-30-2011, 12:40 AM
He just became a totally different fighter since the brutal ko loss to gonzaga. He became a boxer which made him suck since in pride his kicks were his everything and he dont throw em anymore.

kaps
10-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Fedor scrambled his eggs. You can't un-scramble eggs...

kymira
10-31-2011, 05:21 PM
For the most part I think it was definitely a psychological issue.. alot of fighters eventually get to that point where they lose their killer instinct and just become hesitant to pull the trigger.

I remember Vitor had this problem for the longest time. He eventually got over it after hooking up with Shawn Tompkins, In an old interview I remember Shawn saying Vitors problems were all just mental blocks, and alot of their training were focused on getting him back to a certain state of mind to let his hands go.

Miburo
10-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Probably accomplished the best transition of any pure striker to MMA in the history of the sport. He really had a knack for sprawling and basic shutdown submission defense from his back. Oddly enough, he made a better MMA fighter than kickboxer.

$BloodyNate$
10-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Probably accomplished the best transition of any pure striker to MMA in the history of the sport. He really had a knack for sprawling and basic shutdown submission defense from his back. Oddly enough, he made a better MMA fighter than kickboxer.

You always got some good ***** to say and me n my one white friend were just talking aboutthat haha he never won any major kickboxing thing no titles and never won the pride hw title but is ranked so high for being in the fedor era alone. He shines thru barnett who was even on roids back then and even today without on is still a major beast. And he did what 99% of mma fighters do wrong by keep circling. Most fighters when rushed back up which is why they always get put to the cage and taken down. He did it most the fight but every time he didn't he got taken down. A jab would make him a lot better and like i said he dont use his kicks anymore. A jab would help them too.

Cloud
10-31-2011, 06:02 PM
I'll get my arse kicked for saying this but...

I reckon Cro Cop was on enhancers in Pride. Many Pride fighters have admitted to taking drugs in their Japan MMA days....Pride fighters were never tested hence why you saw brutal **** and why they looked invincible. UFC has regular tests and suddenly these great fighters look mediocre...

I for one think thats the most likely thing. Say im talking bollocks ect, i dont give a flying ****.

New England
10-31-2011, 07:12 PM
ok i don't know a lot about MMA so don't crucify me if you think im wrong. . .

but he loses to journeyman and fringe contenders at most in the UFC now? ever since he got KO'd with his own medicine by gonzaga, he's just been second tier. . .

he was once a top heavyweight, pound for pound type guy?

just normal aging or what?

not going to check his record specifically but i know he had a boatload of fights as a kickboxer before making his way to MMA

i was big into K-1 in the late 90's and early 2000's, and he was one of the best in the world in that sport.

it was a brutal sport with lots of hard matchmaking one fight after the other. the fights//matchmaking was designed to produce good fights and not to extend careers as in boxing.

he fought many of the greats in his era in k-1 before he even began training MMA

and of course there was "pride" where he fought out his MMA prime, which was another organization known for making fan friendly matches with lots of contact.
and then he came to the UFC and fought some solid fighters when he was far beyond his best days and took punishment

all of that has caught up with him.

in his prime he was a vicious puncher and kicker
just vicious.

sunthunder
11-01-2011, 03:36 AM
I'll get my arse kicked for saying this but...

I reckon Cro Cop was on enhancers in Pride. Many Pride fighters have admitted to taking drugs in their Japan MMA days....Pride fighters were never tested hence why you saw brutal **** and why they looked invincible. UFC has regular tests and suddenly these great fighters look mediocre...

I for one think thats the most likely thing. Say im talking bollocks ect, i dont give a flying ****.

Quotes. Lets see them.

Cro Cop just got old. He had 45 amateur boxing fights, 23 recorded kickboxing bouts (plus more unrecorded ones) and 28 MMA fights when he fought Gonzaga.

The Gonzaga fight ruined his confidence. He probably was still physically capable of competing at that point but he couldn't pull the trigger. Now, even though he will actually engage, he's considerably slower and less durable. He's a shot fighter.

Big BRICKS
11-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Cro Cop's chin has always been a little suspect and I think that his age plus the fact that MMA fighters are becoming better standing up as a whole, contributed to him getting demolished late in his career.

And who knows? Everyone he fights probably looks like a screaming Gonzaga. He might just be shook haha

Sn1
11-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I bet if Cro Cop was tested back in Pride he would of failed the test, and his entire legacy would be exposed for what it is. I agree that most of the "legendary" fighters were probably on PEDs.

even Dan Henderson is STILL having TRT which clearly gives him an advantage. I don't care if he has low testosterone, you are supposed to compete at your NATURAL best. if his low levels were making him depressed then he should of been forced to make a choice, fighter or happy.