View Full Version : Lennox Lewis vs. George Foreman (1971 version)

UglyPug
10-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Who wins and why?

P4P Opinion
10-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Probably Lewis, but with it's an interesting match-up when you factor in the power of Foreman. I can't see Foreman dealing well with a larger opponent with better technical skill, especially an opponent as tactically disciplined as Lewis. Foreman had the power to break anyone though and Lewis wasn't noted for having an iron chin, so this fight is certainly competitive.

ghns1133
10-27-2011, 04:57 PM
foreman fids that chin eventually

- Ram Raid -
10-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Who wins and why?

Now then squire. I like the question posed, but why 1971?

IronDanHamza
10-27-2011, 05:37 PM
George Foreman by Knock out.

Capaedia
10-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Foreman wades in with his usual barrage of dinosaur killing punches.

If Lennox can last them all the way to say, the 5th, which I think is quite unlikely, I believe he gets a late KO or TKO.

Verdict: Lennox dosen't have the chin for me to favour him over George.

SCtrojansbaby
10-27-2011, 08:14 PM
George finds that chin early KO in 5 rounds or less

Scott9945
10-27-2011, 09:47 PM
1970's Foreman only lost to defensive wizards like Ali and Young. They knew how to roll with the big punches and tire Foreman out. And people forget that Young was almost got KO'd early in that fight. Lewis is a tough fight for anyone, but George punched so hard and was so vicious, I just can't see Lewis holding him off long enough before getting hit with something flush. This isn't a fight I would bet on though.

Sugarj
10-28-2011, 08:42 AM
1971 Foreman was far from the complete article, he was an underdeveloped novice pro.

Foreman has a punchers chance sure, but he was far too crude and inexperienced at this point in his career! Prime 1997 Lewis (with Steward in his corner) surely wins this by decision.

I'd favour 1973 or the 1975 Foreman that met Frazier by KO over Lewis though!

Pastrano
10-28-2011, 09:00 AM
I don't see Lewis knocking out Foreman, with his lumbering style and Foreman's chin. You had to be fast and slick like Ali and Young to outbox him and Lewis isn't. I mean, if Lewis had Foreman in the same situation Lyle did, then MAYBE he could finish him off, but Lyle was not as heavy or lumbersome as Lewis and still he couldn't put the finishing touch. Lewis would certainly hurt Foreman and maybe even drop him, but he was too slow to capitalise on that. Foreman kos him with a left hook or uppercut after a heated battle. Rounds 6 to 8.

Sugarj
10-28-2011, 10:25 AM
I don't see Lewis knocking out Foreman, with his lumbering style and Foreman's chin. You had to be fast and slick like Ali and Young to outbox him and Lewis isn't. I mean, if Lewis had Foreman in the same situation Lyle did, then MAYBE he could finish him off, but Lyle was not as heavy or lumbersome as Lewis and still he couldn't put the finishing touch. Lewis would certainly hurt Foreman and maybe even drop him, but he was too slow to capitalise on that. Foreman kos him with a left hook or uppercut after a heated battle. Rounds 6 to 8.

But the thread concerns 1971 Foreman. George met Lyle 4 or 5 years later when he was far more experienced.

Realistically you'd have to give someone like Lyle a good shot at stopping 1971 Foreman, he wasn't anything like the completed article........he was struggling with the likes of Gregorio Peralta at that point in his career.

To be honest, its a mismatch to throw prime 240 odd lb Lennox Lewis in with novice 1971 Foreman for the same reason that it would be a mismatch to throw 1974 Foreman in with 1962 Cassius Clay. Foreman was at least 2 years off world class.

Kid McCoy
10-28-2011, 10:49 AM
But the thread concerns 1971 Foreman. George met Lyle 4 or 5 years later when he was far more experienced.

Realistically you'd have to give someone like Lyle a good shot at stopping 1971 Foreman, he wasn't anything like the completed article........he was struggling with the likes of Gregorio Peralta at that point in his career.

To be honest, its a mismatch to throw prime 240 odd lb Lennox Lewis in with novice 1971 Foreman for the same reason that it would be a mismatch to throw 1974 Foreman in with 1962 Cassius Clay. Foreman was at least 2 years off world class.

I agree with this assessment. The rawer less experienced Foreman whose only win against a known heavyweight was George Chuvalo would probably be handled by the prime experienced Lewis (unless he's fighting the 1990 Lewis?) although he does have a puncher's chance and I'd take the peak mid-70s Foreman to KO him.

Sugarj
10-28-2011, 11:45 AM
I agree with this assessment. The rawer less experienced Foreman whose only win against a known heavyweight was George Chuvalo would probably be handled by the prime experienced Lewis (unless he's fighting the 1990 Lewis?) although he does have a puncher's chance and I'd take the peak mid-70s Foreman to KO him.

Cheers bud, its nice to agree from time to time.....

GoogleMe
10-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Lewis would K.O any version of Foreman. He's bigger, stronger, faster and way more skillful.

JAB5239
10-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Lewis would K.O any version of Foreman. He's bigger, stronger, faster and way more skillful.

I like Lewis, I've supported him many times in this section. But he was bigger, faster, stronger and more skillful than both Rahman and McCall too. If he's not in tip tip form he's going to sleep against Foreman. If he's in shape and weary of George he should get a decision. My gut tells me not to bet against Foreman in this one though.

Sugarj
10-31-2011, 09:05 AM

Lewis was taken the distance by lesser fighters with poorer chins than Foreman.

A KO would be very unlikely in my opinion, despite what Ali did (which lets face it was a serious one-off judging by the rest of Foreman's career)!

The second coming version of Foreman might have been slow, but you could hit him with a freight train and he wouldn't go down. Lennox wouldn't get a KO there!

them_apples
10-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Well peak George at 224 lbs is quicker than Lewis, and believe it or not he's not a terrible boxer either, he's just clumsey.

I'd pick Foreman by stoppage, his chin is too good, he's nearly as big as Lewis and most likely stronger.

Wouldn't Count Lewis out but I can't see him stopping george and I can't see Lewis avoiding every single one of Foremans punches.

Foreman was in top shape in his early days.

winky's right
11-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Big George is too crude/one dimensional for the bigger, more technically gifted Lewis. After surviving George's early barrage, I see Lewis stopping George via mid-late KO.

them_apples
11-02-2011, 12:21 AM

He's not stronger than George or as durable. we saw what an old man was capable of just imagine the real deal.

He's not even quicker prime for prime, he's just a smarter boxer.

I say prime george with his determination takes the cake.

GoogleMe
11-02-2011, 04:48 AM
I like Lewis, I've supported him many times in this section. But he was bigger, faster, stronger and more skillful than both Rahman and McCall too. If he's not in tip tip form he's going to sleep against Foreman. If he's in shape and weary of George he should get a decision. My gut tells me not to bet against Foreman in this one though.
He's got more experience since. That were bad nights vs McCall and Rahman, I think he took them too lightly. We saw what happened in the rematches.

I'm not so sure about the K.O by Lewis, but the possibility is there - styles makes fights. Lewis would have many advantages over Foreman, and by that he would controle the fight. Yes, there's always the possibility of George Foreman knocking out Lewis, as his chin could be checked at times.
8-9 out of 10 fights I see Lewis winning in a 12 rounder.

winky's right
11-02-2011, 05:23 AM
The 1992 version of Lewis was nowhere as big as George

Where in the OP did it imply we were talking about a 1992 Lewis? Even still, a 1992 Lewis was (slightly) bigger than a 1971 George.

the 2002 version of Lewis was obviously pumped full of steroids.

You're either a) a terrible poster, or b) a troll. Either way, you're getting muted.

McGoorty
11-02-2011, 08:12 AM
I feel very lonely tonight, I feel abandoned... look....Currently Active Users Moderators
Showing threads 1 to 25 of 8209 28 (2 members & 26 guests) Moderators : 1
Sorted By

Sort Order

From The

McGoorty......... All alone, c'mon boys this is a great forum