View Full Version : Ezzard Charles vs Ken Norton

kendom
10-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Kind of a random match up I selected. The slick boxing master Ezzard Charles vs the strong, skilled Ken Norton. Any thoughts?

ghns1133
10-26-2011, 03:07 PM
i think charles gets a ud if its the charles that beat louis

but other wise norton could takes it

his pressure and akward style could really give allot of boxers fits

kendom
10-26-2011, 04:13 PM
i think charles gets a ud if its the charles that beat louis

but other wise norton could takes it

his pressure and akward style could really give allot of boxers fits

Yeah Nortons ability to take away a jab and pressuring was a prefect counterfoil for pure boxers. BTW how's it been I dont see you post as often and it looks like you keep getting banned and unbanned

young_robbed
10-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Charles needs to be at his best to defeat Norton or he'll get swamped. Norton just has that style to give boxers hell.

Sugarj
10-26-2011, 05:01 PM
I've got Norton too, he was poison to slick orthodox boxers. A decision win is likely but a KO wouldn't be out of the question.

As excellent a technician as Charles was, at heavyweight I don't think he really had the power to move Norton and stop his advance.

As has already been said, the best version of Charles at heavyweight was the guy who beat Joe Louis, a fight involving that version of Charles could be interesting....but I'd still lean towards Norton.

Terry A
10-26-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm going with Ezz on this one. He'll be in for one heck of a night, as Norton was at his best against boxers (Ali, Holmes, Young) but also, in all those fights, they were real close contests. What tipped the balance for me was Charles' work rate. I think he was a tad busier than Norton, who was at his best when counter-punching.

I don't see a KO either way. Close decision for Charles.

ghns1133
10-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah Nortons ability to take away a jab and pressuring was a prefect counterfoil for pure boxers. BTW how's it been I dont see you post as often and it looks like you keep getting banned and unbanned

ive been doing well

ls boxing scen means more being prdutic=ve and having a real life :)

i got temp bans on nsb for duplicate posting

the mod didnt even specicy

if he told me directly i would have know what not to do

but it seems like the mods r cracking down

i honestly didnt think i was spamming

but one of the times i deserved it :)

kendom
10-26-2011, 06:15 PM
ive been doing well

ls boxing scen means more being prdutic=ve and having a real life :)

i got temp bans on nsb for duplicate posting

the mod didnt even specicy

if he told me directly i would have know what not to do

but it seems like the mods r cracking down

i honestly didnt think i was spamming

but one of the times i deserved it :)

Good cuz you make some of the best threads around here and sometimes it can get a bit dead.

New England
10-26-2011, 06:18 PM
i'd pick charles to outbox him while facing the risk of being knocked out for 15 rounds

if he loses i do think it would be a stoppage

norton was not the hardest man to hit in the world, and charles had a ton of craft and was a very great counterpuncher and he knew how to use the ring

charles via UD would be my pick

a come from behind stoppage for norton isnt out of the question, though

kendom
10-26-2011, 06:44 PM
i'd pick charles to outbox him while facing the risk of being knocked out for 15 rounds

if he loses i do think it would be a stoppage

norton was not the hardest man to hit in the world, and charles had a ton of craft and was a very great counterpuncher and he knew how to use the ring

charles via UD would be my pick

a come from behind stoppage for norton isnt out of the question, though

Norton caused hell for boxers like Ali and Larry Holmes, you dont think Ezzard Charles would have faced just as much problems if not more from Norton?

DarkTerror88
10-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Norton caused hell for boxers like Ali and Larry Holmes, you dont think Ezzard Charles would have faced just as much problems if not more from Norton?

Charles could become a puncher when need be. And i dont think Ezz gets stopped, the Marciano fight (first) showed how game he was.

But i think Nortons size, athleticism and overall swarming, crab like defense frustrate Charles for majority of the fight. By the time the Cincinnati cobra figures it out, he wont have enough time to rank up his points.

New England
10-26-2011, 07:55 PM

he certainly would cause anybody lots of issues.

i do think charles would be forced to play a points game more than ali and holmes, especially considering their much greater size and the durability it would afford them against such a small man

charles wasnt as physically gifted where the HW division was concerned (ali and holmes had incredible length and took huge steps) but he was every bit as crafty

he's the slickest of the three, if not the hardest to hit considering his lack of length and relative lack of power at HW to keep a man away

again, i wouldnt be surprised to see him get stopped
but i'd favor him to win the decision if i had to bet on it. i think he'd find a way to tone the fight down and get leather on norton without taking punches that were of real consequence in return