View Full Version : Andrew Maynard?

Perfect Plex
10-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Incredible amatuer and was a Olympic gold medalist at 1988 Olympics. But his amatuer accomplishments seem to be underrated, as he's never mentioned among USA's top amatuers.

But his pro career was terrible. Early on he struggled with 22-7 Mike Sedillo for the NABF and then he got his unbeaten record got took by Bobby Czyz via KO.

He did beat a washed up Matthew Saad Muhammad, but was then stopped by Frank Tate, and in his only world title bid got dominated by Anaclet Wamba.

After this he became a near journyman and was KO'd in 1 by 93 Thomas Hearns. Out of his last 10, he won just 2.

Were did he go wrong in his pro career?

Terry A
10-25-2011, 03:59 PM
For some reason, he reminds me of a poor mans Antonio Tarver. Whatever Maynard could do, Tarver did a little better.

I think that in Maynard's case, the gold medal, the early fights on TV, the big money contracts, etc, went to his head and not to his heart. If that stuff went to his heart, it would have MOTIVATED him, & he may have done so much better than he did. But I think it went to his head & he thought he could get by on his reputation. He bought into the hype & didn't put out as hard once he was moving up in the pro ranks.

Maybe some fame softened him?