No announcement yet.

David Tua vs Earnie Shavers: head to head

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Tua vs Earnie Shavers: head to head

Who do you think would win and who was a better overall fighter? I think Tua was a better fighter technically than Earnie and he doesn't get enough credit for it. Watch the Ibeabuchi fight, watch how Tua came back after getting dominated in the early rounds and outboxed and outpunched Ike. It wasnt just due to power and aggressiveness, it also took skill. Ike himself was also technically skilled and maybe doesn't always gets the credit. The problem is, sometimes Tuaman just wasn't that motivated to make an effort so he waited for his opponent to empty his tank before annihilating him. But he was a good boxer nonetheless, in his prime that is.

Shavers on the other hand was all about power and aggression. If you watch the Lyle fight for instance, he had Lyle hurt in the early going but when Lyle weathered the storm and came back, Shavers had nothing left. Had he been as good as Tua, I'm sure he could have won against Ali. Ali wasn't exactly at the prime of his career then. Plus Shavers lacked the great chin that Tua is blessed with. Not saying Shavers had no skills whatsoever, but they were limited. Tua, while not Jimmy Young or Orlin Norris, was still a rather good boxer for a puncher. Only the slickest could outbox him soundly. I wish he had fought Byrd before, at the time when he fought Ibeabuchi.

So the similarities between these 2 end in that they were both murderous punchers and short heavyweights. My prediction is, Tua weathers Shavers' early attacks and cracks his chin somewhere in the early mid rounds. KO5 for Tuaman.

And btw, I scored the Ibeabuchi fight even.
    Last edited by Pastrano; 10-23-2011, 03:33 PM.

This is a high contact explosive fight. I got david tua in 3 rds because he's the better catcher of the 2

Comment

Originally posted by DBSLM View Post
      This is a high contact explosive fight. I got david tua in 3 rds because he's the better catcher of the 2
      Yea, actually I hardly think it would last 5 rounds. If Tua connected with the right shot, Shavers'd be out cold. 3 rounds it is.

Comment

Both guys had power but Tua had a chin also. Tua KO in under 5 rounds

Comment

I got Tua in eight.

Comment

David Tua could take a shot. Earnie Shavers is slow, but VERY powerful. He'd never throw a shot that TUa would not see, and Tua' would eventually hit with a straight right followed by a left hook, and it'd be lightsout.

Comment

I also have Tua stopping him early.

Comment

In terms of who I think is the better all-time fighter, I'd say its Shavers. I think he would beat more fighters over-all than Tua. But for THIS match-up, I think Tua's chin is the difference. He has a better chance to weather what Shavers can throw than Shavers has in withstanding what Tua would be throwing. If that makes sense....

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
                  In terms of who I think is the better all-time fighter, I'd say its Shavers. I think he would beat more fighters over-all than Tua. But for THIS match-up, I think Tua's chin is the difference. He has a better chance to weather what Shavers can throw than Shavers has in withstanding what Tua would be throwing. If that makes sense....
                  Youre WRONG, dead wrong. Tua had better defense, better boxing skills and a better chin. Shavers just had power and perhaps some movement/footwork. How does that make him all-time better??

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                    Youre WRONG, dead wrong. Tua had better defense, better boxing skills and a better chin. Shavers just had power and perhaps some movement/footwork. How does that make him all-time better??
                    It's how I see it. It's called an opinion.

And if there's such a wide margin or disparity between them, why propose this fantasy match up? Don't you already know the answer then?

Comment

Working...
                    X