View Full Version : Mosley vs Forrest compared to Leonard vs Hearns

Pastrano
10-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Really, its funny I didn't notice this before, it just came to me watching the first Forrest-Mosley fight. There are similarities between them and Hearns and Leonard. Forrest was compared to Hearns because he was such a tall welter with a good jab and a smashing right. Mosley was like a stockier, more muscular version of Leonard-a fast, dazzling fighter who could punch. Even though I think Mosley hit harder than Leonard ever did, but nvm. And in both cases, the relative underdog won or was winning. Hearns was winning when his stamina bailed on him in the 1st fight and definitely won the rematch.

I think its possible that had the first Mosley-Forrest fight been 15 rounds, Forrest woulda scored a tko. And one can wonder what would happen had the second Leonard-Hearns fight gone 15. But whats for certain is that there are similarities here, Mosley-Forrest WAS the modern version or the closest we got anyway of Leonard-Hearns fights.

Sugarj
10-22-2011, 10:25 AM
I'd agree, I've thought this is the closest comparison too.

Your bound to get some fanboy crashing this thread saying how Moseley was in no way comparable to Leonard.......or Forrest to Hearns. But that wouldn't really be the point.

I'd add that Floyd Mayweather has never had to stylistically deal with an elite level boxer with the reach and dimensions of a Forrest or Hearns. A couple of years ago, a Paul Williams fight might have been very interesting.

Pastrano
10-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Your bound to get some fanboy crashing this thread saying how Moseley was in no way comparable to Leonard.......or Forrest to Hearns. But that wouldn't really be the point.

I'd add that Floyd Mayweather has never had to stylistically deal with an elite level boxer with the reach and dimensions of a Forrest or Hearns. A couple of years ago, a Paul Williams fight might have been very interesting.
Thats exactly what I always thought.:biggthump Hearns picks him apart, Forrest hunts him for the entire fight and wins on points. Maybe even scores a tko.

Sugarj
10-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Thats exactly what I always thought.:biggthump Hearns picks him apart, Forrest hunts him for the entire fight and wins on points. Maybe even scores a tko.

Alot of people think Mayweather's jinx will be the speedy southpaw style of Pacquiou. I'd be willing to bet that it might come in the form of a rangy orthodox technician who can bang a swift educated jab at Mayweather from range at him all night. Hearns would have been perfect for this.....

Problem is, at welterweight there isn't anyone at the moment.

joseph5620
10-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Really, its funny I didn't notice this before, it just came to me watching the first Forrest-Mosley fight. There are similarities between them and Hearns and Leonard. Forrest was compared to Hearns because he was such a tall welter with a good jab and a smashing right. Mosley was like a stockier, more muscular version of Leonard-a fast, dazzling fighter who could punch. Even though I think Mosley hit harder than Leonard ever did, but nvm. And in both cases, the relative underdog won or was winning. Hearns was winning when his stamina bailed on him in the 1st fight and definitely won the rematch.

I think its possible that had the first Mosley-Forrest fight been 15 rounds, Forrest woulda scored a tko. And one can wonder what would happen had the second Leonard-Hearns fight gone 15. But whats for certain is that there are similarities here, Mosley-Forrest WAS the modern version or the closest we got anyway of Leonard-Hearns fights.

I don't think there are any similarities between the two fights. Especially when you're comparing Forrest to Hearns and Mosley to Leonard. Mosley was hurt and dropped early against Forrest. That never even came close to happening to Leonard. In fact it was the opposite. Hearns became the boxer and Leonard became the stalker. Forrest vs Mosley was a completely different type of fight. Hearns was badly hurt by Leonard in both fights.Forrest was never hurt by Mosley. Other then comparing the aesthetics, the two fights are not similar in any way.

And if the second Hearns-Leonard fight was a 15 round fight Hearns likely would have lost. He was saved by the bell in the final round even though he deserved the decision.

joseph5620
10-22-2011, 01:34 PM

You just crashed the thread yourself by bringing Mayweather into it.

young_robbed
10-22-2011, 05:02 PM
these fights are nothing alike, to be honest. sorry.

Forrest dominated Mosley over 12 rounds, Hearns was winning the fight until the late rounds and Leonard staged his attack and won by TKO. I don't see the comparison.

I do see the comparison between Forrest and Hearns, but other then that I don't get it.

Rossman
10-22-2011, 10:25 PM
I just don't see the comparison other than height difference.

northstar
10-23-2011, 12:21 AM
One thing's for sure, although hearns was better than forrest in almost every way possible, if he could clinch like forrest he might have gotten the W in the first fight.

SCtrojansbaby
10-23-2011, 04:33 AM
Alot of people think Mayweather's jinx will be the speedy southpaw style of Pacquiou. I'd be willing to bet that it might come in the form of a rangy orthodox technician who can bang a swift educated jab at Mayweather from range at him all night. Hearns would have been perfect for this.....

Problem is, at welterweight there isn't anyone at the moment.

??? Mike Jones fits your description to a tee

DBSLM
10-23-2011, 07:04 PM
I think vernon is more comparable to hearns than mosley is to leonard.

Pastrano
10-23-2011, 08:20 PM
I think vernon is more comparable to hearns than mosley is to leonard.

Thats true. Vernon had that lanky build of Tommy's and his jabbing/powerpunching style. Shane and Ray, the things they got in common is the speed and the chin, both could take a punch. Aside from that, Shane is just kinda too big and strong physically to be compared to Ray. Plus he's more of a puncher than Ray was.

Scott9945
10-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Thats true. Vernon had that lanky build of Tommy's and his jabbing/powerpunching style. Shane and Ray, the things they got in common is the speed and the chin, both could take a punch. Aside from that, Shane is just kinda too big and strong physically to be compared to Ray. Plus he's more of a puncher than Ray was.

No, he isn't. Once he left 135 Shane's power was good, but not excellent. Certainly not on the level of Ray Leonard.

Pastrano
10-23-2011, 08:34 PM
No, he isn't. Once he left 135 Shane's power was good, but not excellent. Certainly not on the level of Ray Leonard.

And just how many guys did Leonard ko with one punch?

joseph5620
10-23-2011, 10:50 PM
And just how many guys did Leonard ko with one punch?

More than you obviously know about.

5:05

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kHM7zrmm4_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4:55

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HVIgj_k9H64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How many fighters on the level of Hearns and Benitez did Mosley ever stop? How many top welterweights did Mosley stop in this way?

http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/11150/Sugar_Ray_Leonard_Knocks_Out_Andy_Price/

joseph5620
10-24-2011, 01:35 AM

Your claim that Mosley is bigger than Leonard is fiction and there is nothing that can verify that he's stronger than Leonard was.

Scott9945
10-24-2011, 02:17 AM
Your claim that Mosley is bigger than Leonard is fiction and there is nothing that can verify that he's stronger than Leonard was.

Mosley's career ranged from 135-154, while Ray was between 147-168. So since Leonard was slightly taller there really is no doubt who the bigger fighter was.

Shane is reputedly extremely strong for his size, so I could believe he has an edge there.

Pastrano
10-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Mosley's career ranged from 135-154, while Ray was between 147-168. So since Leonard was slightly taller there really is no doubt who the bigger fighter was.

Shane is reputedly extremely strong for his size, so I could believe he has an edge there.

Please! Leonard had 3 fights at 168, 1 of them against a former lightweight, Duran. That he could make the weight doesnt mean he was bigger or stronger than Mosley, who could also surely make that weight if he wanted to but didn't think he'd be effective at it. And those 2 knockouts doesnt convince me he had one punch power. Everyone can get a little lucky.

Sugarj
10-24-2011, 02:11 PM
You just crashed the thread yourself by bringing Mayweather into it.

Cheeky!!

This isn't NSB you know........

joseph5620
10-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Please! Leonard had 3 fights at 168, 1 of them against a former lightweight, Duran. That he could make the weight doesnt mean he was bigger or stronger than Mosley, who could also surely make that weight if he wanted to but didn't think he'd be effective at it. And those 2 knockouts doesnt convince me he had one punch power. Everyone can get a little lucky.

It's obvious that you dip into fiction and fantasy when your agenda blows up in your face. Leonard fought from 147 to 168. Mosley fought from 135-154. Those are facts that your mindless speculation can't change. Who's bigger? Do the math. Leonard was far more successful above 147 than Mosley for a reason.

Your claim that Leonard was " lucky " to score his knockouts is just an example of the stupidity expected from you.

Scott9945
10-24-2011, 09:10 PM

Can you even imagine how bloated and slow Mosley would have looked at 168? Sorry, but you're not going to win this debate. The facts are clearly against you. You obviously are biased against SRL.

Pastrano
10-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Can you even imagine how bloated and slow Mosley would have looked at 168? Sorry, but you're not going to win this debate. The facts are clearly against you. You obviously are biased against SRL.

And you obviously hug his nutsack.:rolleyes:

joseph5620
10-25-2011, 02:30 PM
And you obviously hug his nutsack.:rolleyes:

And you obviously have no counter point other than this typical weak response. If anything, this is a perfect description of the way you overrate Delahoya.

It must suck to lose every debate you start.

northstar
10-25-2011, 03:40 PM
In my opinion, due to his natural size advantage, leonard was stronger than mosley. Mosley could never campaign at MW against a fighter like hagler and be competitive.

wmute
10-26-2011, 04:24 AM
[/U]

More than you obviously know about.

5:05

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kHM7zrmm4_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4:55

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HVIgj_k9H64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How many fighters on the level of Hearns and Benitez did Mosley ever stop? How many top welterweights did Mosley stop in this way?

http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/11150/Sugar_Ray_Leonard_Knocks_Out_Andy_Price/

I agree that SRL punches harder than SSM but...
Leonard made Lalonde kill himself to make weight, so that one should not count.

wmute
10-26-2011, 04:28 AM
As someone already pointed out, I don't see much of a similarity between the fights btw.

joseph5620
10-26-2011, 01:43 PM
I agree that SRL punches harder than SSM but...
Leonard made Lalonde kill himself to make weight, so that one should not count.

That wasn't the point. That fight doesn't add to Leonard's legacy anyway. The question was whether he had one punch KO power which was the point I was making.

Pastrano
10-26-2011, 04:04 PM
That wasn't the point. That fight doesn't add to Leonard's legacy anyway. The question was whether he had one punch KO power which was the point I was making.

The guys he koed with one punch were probably chinny anyway...and how many were they?? You didn't state that. Because I KNOW he didn't knock many guys out like that. He'd just wear them out with his flurries. I mean, Sylvester koed Castillejo with one punch, but that was in the 12th round and he has like 14 kos in 30something wins.

joseph5620
10-26-2011, 04:51 PM
The guys he koed with one punch were probably chinny anyway...and how many were they?? You didn't state that. Because I KNOW he didn't knock many guys out like that. He'd just wear them out with his flurries. I mean, Sylvester koed Castillejo with one punch, but that was in the 12th round and he has like 14 kos in 30something wins.

I don't know how many and don't care. Leonard hit harder than Mosley and he was bigger than Mosley. That's a fact that you'll have to deal with. And you obviously don't know much about Leonard other than you don't like him. Period.

*Andy Price beat both Carlos Palomino and Pipino Cuevas.He was not "chinney." You don't seem to mind talking about things you know nothing about. No matter how stupid it makes you look. And one punch KO's don't always determine who the harder puncher is. Pernell Whitaker has at least three of them. So you can just stop with that childish argument.

Pastrano
10-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I don't know how many and don't care. Leonard hit harder than Mosley and he was bigger than Mosley. That's a fact that you'll have to deal with. And you obviously don't know much about Leonard other than you don't like him. Period.

*Andy Price beat both Carlos Palomino and Pipino Cuevas.He was not "chinney." You don't seem to mind talking about things you know nothing about. No matter how stupid it makes you look. And one punch KO's don't always determine who the harder puncher is. Pernell Whitaker has at least three of them. So you can just stop with that childish argument.

I've seen all of Leonard's pivotal fights, so there's nothing you can teach me on him. So save your energy.

joseph5620
10-26-2011, 07:44 PM
I've seen all of Leonard's pivotal fights, so there's nothing you can teach me on him. So save your energy.

It doesn't show in your post. You incorrectly stated that Shane Mosley was bigger than Leonard. So obviously you don't know enough. Maybe you should save your energy until you can actually post something factual regarding Leonard.

Scott9945
10-26-2011, 08:54 PM

Ha. Nobody here really believes that. :nono: