View Full Version : Kennedy McKinney

Pastrano
10-20-2011, 05:05 PM
What do you think of him? He was a talented fighter for sure, but somehow it seems he was better as amateur than pro. Lost some important fights to underdogs. He made a good and brave effort against Barrera but in the end Barrera's fury became too much. His stoppage of Junior Jones was very surprising since Jones was younger and a favorite while everybody pretty much wrote McKinney off at the time as finished. Jones had just beaten Barrera twice also.

All in all, a skilled boxer who could hit pretty hard when needed.

SCtrojansbaby
10-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Very solid fighter who had A level talent

Sugarj
10-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Yea, great fighter in several very entertaining fights. His biggest flaw was his tendency to be quite easily hit. The Barrera fight was a war.

From memory (it was a while ago I last saw the fight), Junior Jones got tired of hitting him......then in turn got knocked out!

jabsRstiff
10-21-2011, 08:34 AM
I really liked McKinney. He never acheived greatness, but he was very, very good. He was a sharp fighter with skills and a helluva right hand. He could box, but could not resist a shootout.

His title winning KO of Welcome Ncita is one of the most dramatic come-from-behind wins of the last 20 years, and definitely one of the best one-punch KOs.

Terry A
10-25-2011, 04:35 PM
I always liked watching his fights. He always gave it his all.

I think (and Pastrano, this is my OPINION) that he's one of those fighters who had a lot of wear & tear on him. He got hit often & I think that his amateur career, combined with the number of fights & level of competition he fought in his pro career, just wore him down quicker than some others guys may have worn out. Everybody has a different body and tolerance to punishment. Look at how young Sean O'Grady was when he wore out.
Still, I think he was a very good fighter.

Pastrano
10-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I always liked watching his fights. He always gave it his all.

I think (and Pastrano, this is my OPINION) that he's one of those fighters who had a lot of wear & tear on him. He got hit often & I think that his amateur career, combined with the number of fights & level of competition he fought in his pro career, just wore him down quicker than some others guys may have worn out. Everybody has a different body and tolerance to punishment. Look at how young Sean O'Grady was when he wore out.
Still, I think he was a very good fighter.

You are entitled to your opinion, but im also entitled to disagreeing with it. Capisce?:rolleyes: No grudge here, just wanna make that understood. I never said you had no right to your own opinion. But I have the right to say its wrong.

King Kong
10-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Love him beyond words. In my personal 5 fav of All-Time. Nice to see a thread on King Kennedy jump out from the main index.