View Full Version : Who had better fundamentals; Joe Frazier or Rocky Marciano?

DarkTerror88
10-18-2011, 11:36 PM
For Capaedia.

Capaedia
10-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Outstanding, shame I can't green k you again, but I said who was more technical!

Better fundamentals would in my opinion be Frazier on the account of his underrated jab.

New England
10-18-2011, 11:44 PM
frazier

marciano had a late start in boxing and frazier was an olympian

ghns1133
10-19-2011, 12:12 AM
frazier

shorter more acurate punches

better headmovement better at cutting the ring off

underated jab

rocky had that right and that chin tho thats the only reasn he was great

DarkTerror88
10-19-2011, 12:23 AM
He had an underrated right too.

If you don't believe me, get into a Pad work out with him, and drop your left hand a little too low.

Frazier also kept his bobbing and weaving going for 15 rounds, 3 minutes a round. IMHO the best headmovement out of all HWs

Capaedia
10-19-2011, 12:38 AM

If you don't believe me, get into a Pad work out with him, and drop your left hand a little too low.

Frazier also kept his bobbing and weaving going for 15 rounds, 3 minutes a round. IMHO the best headmovement out of all HWs

I always thought that history has not done his right hand justice. It wasn't as good as its left, but that dosen't mean anything considering it's Frazier's left.

Anyone that still dosen't believe should just watch him fight Manuel Ramos. Hell of a right uppercut, especially to the body. Damn near folded him in half a few times.

GF of Boxing
10-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Frazier hands down. How Frazier broke down his taller opponents and how he constantly bob and weaved his way in using his jab. Had great foot work to cut off the ring while bobbing. His body attack was phenomenal and how he placed his punches and timing when he would land that hook. Plus Frazier's right hand was good also.

Kid McCoy
10-19-2011, 07:58 PM

Frazier did show a good right hand in the first half of his career. It's strange that he seemed to stop throwing it later on.

In fairness to Rocky he was more subtle than he's given credit for, but Frazier had the better fundamentals imo.

DarkTerror88
10-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Frazier did show a good right hand in the first half of his career. It's strange that he seemed to stop throwing it later on.

In fairness to Rocky he was more subtle than he's given credit for, but Frazier had the better fundamentals imo.

Rocky Marciano blocked half of the punches thrown at him so subtley that i had to slow down the footage so i could see it accurately. But Frazier's Head Movement and blocking was superior IMO.

For guys who only came forward, their defense while on the offensive is very impressive

TheGreatA
10-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Neither were exactly by the book but I agree that Frazier gets the edge here.

Marciano however did have a clever, unique style that made perfect use of his awkwardness. When you listen to Marciano talk about boxing, it's obvious that the man was very knowledgeable of all the skills that are required of a great boxer. Unfortunately due to his relatively late start he could not put them to the best possible use due to a lack of coordination.

His style was extremely effective nonetheless and he used his knowledge of the sport instilled to him by his trainer Charley Goldman to make it hell for the others by spoiling their boxing.

Obama
10-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Defensively, Marciano is actually the better fighter.