View Full Version : Best Light Heavyweight Fight?

UglyPug
10-18-2011, 07:42 AM
What is an awesome light heavyweight fight? In terms of skillset of boxers and most importantly TWO-WAY action - I'm not looking for a whitewash shutout type fight.

Sugarj
10-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Jones vs Tarver 1 was a good fight on near equal grounds.

I scored it for Jones, but he was clearly not what he was before the heavyweight move. Good fight though!

If you don't mind black and White, try Moore vs Durelle 1. Possibly the best light heavyweight fight in history. Great skills and heart in your mouth action!

IronDanHamza
10-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Harold Johnson - Archie Moore 5

UglyPug
10-18-2011, 08:05 AM
sweet thanks for the responses. . .

UglyPug
10-18-2011, 08:10 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7qFsEmK1gE

couldn't find the full fight but i found the highlights where mongoose does his thing.

NOTE the jab-overhand straight/hook-hybrid combo at 0:55. . . Lol he threw it so hard he lost his balance. .

IronDanHamza
10-18-2011, 08:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7qFsEmK1gE

couldn't find the full fight but i found the highlights where mongoose does his thing.

NOTE the jab-overhand straight/hook-hybrid combo at 0:55. . . Lol he threw it so hard he lost his balance. .

They both did their thing.

Harold Johnson was actually winning that fight and starting to tee off on him until Archie landed that stunning shot that hurt him.

Great comeback by the great Archie Moore but Johnson was real unlucky in that one.

Great fight the 5th one. Most of their 5 fight series were close fights the epitome of two real ATG's bringing the absolute best out of each other.

UglyPug
10-18-2011, 08:48 AM
They both did their thing.

Harold Johnson was actually winning that fight and starting to tee off on him until Archie landed that stunning shot that hurt him.

Great comeback by the great Archie Moore but Johnson was real unlucky in that one.

Great fight the 5th one. Most of their 5 fight series were close fights the epitome of two real ATG's bringing the absolute best out of each other.

why do you think so many fights and ATG fighters in the past exchanged punches more? did they really have that much better chins, punch resistance and stamina? or are fighters just more cautionary today or what?

Pastrano
10-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Moore-Johnson 5 was certainly one of em. Also Eddie Mustafa Muhammad vs Michael Spinks, John Conteh vs Jorge Ahumada and Eddie Mustafa vs Marvin Johnson. Also Michael Spinks vs Dwight M Qawi was great.

There, I gave u my top 5 actually!:banana:

SCtrojansbaby
10-18-2011, 11:33 AM
GREAT fight that most people haven't seen

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oh5Dzqh6u8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NChristo
10-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Matthew Saad Muhammad vs Marvin Johnson I and II
Michael Spinks vs Yaqui Lopez, Spinks' best fight imo
Bob Foster vs Chris Finnegan
Archie Moore - Durelle I
Harding-Andries trilogy

All great fights, can't pick my favourite.

Scott9945
10-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Matthew Saad Muhammad vs Marvin Johnson I and II
Michael Spinks vs Yaqui Lopez, Spinks' best fight imo
Bob Foster vs Chris Finnegan
Archie Moore - Durelle I
Harding-Andries trilogy

All great fights, can't pick my favourite.

I'll take MSM-Johnson II FTW.

McGoorty
10-19-2011, 03:01 AM
What is an awesome light heavyweight fight? In terms of skillset of boxers and most importantly TWO-WAY action - I'm not looking for a whitewash shutout type fight.
Nothing beats Archie Moore Vs Yvonne Durelle...... nothing.

McGoorty
10-19-2011, 03:27 AM
I'm still waiting for your Harold thread Dan ?????

TBear
10-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Matthew Saad Muhammad fights are almost always sure bets. Marvin Johnson too. Moore-Durrelle I is an all time favorite. Foster-Finnegan too.

IronDanHamza
10-19-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm still waiting for your Harold thread Dan ?????

:lol1:

Which one was that again?

Memory playing up as usual :lol1:

New England
10-19-2011, 10:28 AM
matthew saad muhammad is perhaps my favorite LHW in terms of action

his style was something you'd draw up if you wanted to produce brutal and physical fights. big strong physical guy with athletic quality.

serious puncher. great pace.

take your pick, most of the fights in his prime are great viewing

marvin johnson and yaqui lopez are starters.

joseph5620
10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
matthew saad muhammad is perhaps my favorite LHW in terms of action

his style was something you'd draw up if you wanted to produce brutal and physical fights. big strong physical guy with athletic quality.

serious puncher. great pace.

take your pick, most of the fights in his prime are great viewing

marvin johnson and yaqui lopez are starters.

Incredible MSM fight and comeback here.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6QrjgZmhk2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VmlPImDCe6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GF of Boxing
10-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Mathew Saad Muhammad vs Dwight Qawi I
Jones vs Tarver I

Pastrano
10-19-2011, 03:44 PM
I saw the first MSM-Lopez fight the other day and to my surprise it was far from as exciting as the second fight. For a Saad fight, I'd even call it boring. Saad-Conteh I was also a gr8 fight.:boxing:

Obama
10-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Jose Torres vs Eddie Cotton, Cotton should have won.

BattlingNelson
10-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Buy a Saad Muhammad career set. He's the GOAT in two-way action fights.

mkennedy25
10-20-2011, 10:12 AM
How about Sugar Ray Robinson vs Joey Maxim at Yankee stadium as a decent light heavyweight scrap