View Full Version : Seriously, could Oscar hit or what??

Pastrano
10-17-2011, 04:52 PM
First of all, lets get one thing clear: I don't think Oscar De La Hoya is a god. Im not a groupie of his and outside the ring I do think he's nice but I don't think everything he does or says is gold. So, lemme ask you: for a guy of his rather slender physique, could he hit or what?! I was just watching the Mayorga fight for the second time and the way he put Mayorga down in the first round was just impressive as fuk! I mean, even Tito had to land like 50 big shots on Mayorga to put him down and out eventually. Its not all about power, its also about precision and thats where Oscar had the edge over Tito.

For while Tito most certainly hit even harder (tho not much harder) than Oscar, Oscar just knew how to time his punches a bit better and threw them with more precision and speed. I mean, its really hard to believe this guy once fought as a SFW!:thinking:

bojangles1987
10-17-2011, 05:12 PM
He could definitely crack, especially at 140 and 147, when he was young.

GrandpaBernard
10-17-2011, 05:15 PM
First of all, lets get one thing clear: I don't think Oscar De La Hoya is a god. Im not a groupie of his and outside the ring I do think he's nice but I don't think everything he does or says is gold. So, lemme ask you: for a guy of his rather slender physique, could he hit or what?! I was just watching the Mayorga fight for the second time and the way he put Mayorga down in the first round was just impressive as fuk! I mean, even Tito had to land like 50 big shots on Mayorga to put him down and out eventually. Its not all about power, its also about precision and thats where Oscar had the edge over Tito.

For while Tito most certainly hit even harder (tho not much harder) than Oscar, Oscar just knew how to time his punches a bit better and threw them with more precision and speed. I mean, its really hard to believe this guy once fought as a SFW!:thinking:
I wouldn't call him slender. He looked like a stocky chubby Mexican up top in some of his fights. His power was good. Your left hook being your best punch helps too, it's a hard punch for someone to see due to the way it's thrown.

Pastrano
10-17-2011, 05:25 PM
How many punches did it take for Tito to put Vargas down opposed to Oscar?

Vargas won at least 4 rounds against Tito. He didn't win as many against Oscar imo. 2, maybe 3 at best. And Oscar got him out of there faster. Vargas rushed into Tito's left hook like an idiot-twice! In the 1st and in the last round. Against Oscar he was more experienced.

joseph5620
10-17-2011, 05:26 PM

How many punches did it take for Tito to put Vargas or Oba Carr down opposed to Oscar?

Pastrano
10-17-2011, 05:28 PM
How many punches did it take for Tito to put Vargas or Oba Carr down opposed to Oscar?

What is this, the quiz? It doesn't matter how many punches it took to put Vargas down, it took more to put him OUT than it did for Oscar. Oba Carr put Tito down also.:D

joseph5620
10-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Vargas won at least 4 rounds against Tito. He didn't win as many against Oscar imo. 2, maybe 3 at best. And Oscar got him out of there faster. Vargas rushed into Tito's left hook like an idiot-twice! In the 1st and in the last round. Against Oscar he was more experienced.

The difference is Trinidad actually fought Vargas while he was still undefeated. Oscar waited until vargas took a beating from Trinidad and looked unimpressive against Wilfredo Riviera. That seemed to be a pattern in Delahoya's career. Timing. Of course all of this happened after Delahoya swore he would NEVER fight Vargas.

joseph5620
10-17-2011, 05:30 PM
What is this, the quiz? It doesn't matter how many punches it took to put Vargas down, it took more to put him OUT than it did for Oscar. Oba Carr put Tito down also.:D

You're the one who brought it up in the first place. Did you forget already? I'm just using your logic.

Pastrano
10-17-2011, 05:35 PM
The difference is Trinidad actually fought Vargas while he was still undefeated. Oscar waited until vargas took a beating from Trinidad and looked unimpressive against Wilfredo Riviera. That seemed to be a pattern in Delahoya's career. Timing. Of course all of this happened after Delahoya swore he would NEVER fight Vargas.

Please! Not the leftover theory, thats already been done to death.:nonono: Vargas knocked Trinidad down in the 4th and was about to jump at him again when Trinidad hit him low ON PURPOSE so to avoid getting stopped. Oscar never did anything like that at least. Vargas showed to the world that this bs about Trinidad being invincible was just a myth. Well actually, Oscar had already showed that but he got robbed.

IronDanHamza
10-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Oscar's power hardly even compares to Trinidad's power.

joseph5620
10-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Please! Not the leftover theory, thats already been done to death.:nonono: Vargas knocked Trinidad down in the 4th and was about to jump at him again when Trinidad hit him low ON PURPOSE so to avoid getting stopped. Oscar never did anything like that at least. Vargas showed to the world that this bs about Trinidad being invincible was just a myth. Well actually, Oscar had already showed that but he got robbed.

Yeah, I realize facts are unpleasantly repetitive when they don't align with your agenda. The fact remains that Oscar didn't fight Vargas until after the Trinidad fight and after Vargas looked vulnerable getting dropped by Riviera. In fact, Oscar showed no interest in a fight with Vargas before that and swore he would never fight him because "Vargas had no class" or something on that order. Did Vargas personal feelings/demeanor change after the Trinidad fight? No. Come back when you have something that proves otherwise.

You're right, Oscar didn't hit low to avoid getting knocked out. He just put on his track shoes and ran away from Trinidad to avoid getting knocked out.

crold1
10-17-2011, 08:11 PM

Actually, Tito won more rounds. Vargas won maybe 3 rounds versus Tito. Oscar-Vargas was about even heading into the eleventh with one judge having Vargas ahead a couple points and the other two favoring Oscar at 6-4 on rounds (pretty much like everyone else). That fight was one of the best round swaps I can recall, literally going back and forth. With Tito, even with traded knockdowns and deductions, Vargas was a couple or three rounds farther behind at time of stoppage. In both fights, press scoring and official scoring were about spot on. Look it up. You're right that Oscar KO'd him quicker. The rest is at best your personal recollection and not firmly rooted in what most other observation saw.

Oscar did it quicker once he hurt him, and I think that was a good fighter he beat, but Vargas's chin was severely dented. Tito beat the dog hell out of Vargas, who could never take a big shot again after that. Shibata Flores had Vargas reeling.

Scott9945
10-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Tito beat the dog hell out of Vargas, who could never take a big shot again after that. Shibata Flores had Vargas reeling.

Now that you mention it, so did Wilfredo Rivera. Vargas was clearly never the same after the beating he took from Trinidad.

OldMoney91
10-17-2011, 09:49 PM

what did the bolded have to do with punching power?? we aren't talking about who has the better chin or who is the better fighter.

Steak
10-17-2011, 10:30 PM
oscar definitely had a very heavy left hook. nasty punch, and unexpected a lot of the time since it was so compact and quick.

very good puncher.

cja07007
10-17-2011, 10:41 PM
All the BS aside Oscar could fight. All his punches where short especially his left hook and he could put them together.