View Full Version : Who could beat a prime Pernell Whitaker?

Flo_Raiden
10-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Was there any fighter that could have beaten a prime Pernell Whitaker convincingly? 4 of Sweet Pea's losses came from either robberies or past his prime.
The only guys I see having a chance are Duran, Pryor, and Napoles but I'm not sure. What do you think?

IronDanHamza
10-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Convincingly? I'm not sure.

I think Duran could beat him, I also think Carlos Ortiz could beat him. Both at 135 and 140.

Ike Williams could beat him.

A handful of Lightweight's could beat Whitaker.

I don't think convincingly though. It would be a difficult task to be beat him in convincing fashion.

Napoles didn't do enough below 147 to convince me he could beat Whitaker so I don't agree with that choice.

Pryor I don't see beating Whitaker at all.

Boxing Bob
10-16-2011, 12:26 AM
at 135, there some guys that stand a chance. But there's not one LW through out history I'd bet money on against him.

ghns1133
10-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Convincingly? I'm not sure.

I think Duran could beat him, I also think Carlos Ortiz could beat him. Both at 135 and 140.

Ike Williams could beat him.

A handful of Lightweight's could beat Whitaker.

I don't think convincingly though. It would be a difficult task to be beat him in convincing fashion.

Napoles didn't do enough below 147 to convince me he could beat Whitaker so I don't agree with that choice.

Pryor I don't see beating Whitaker at all.

everything he said^^^

and i dont see pryor beating him at all really

Hakuna Matata
10-16-2011, 03:21 AM
Sweet Pea's first pro loss was in a 15 rounder and I'm pretty sure it was his first title shot. He wasn't exactly in his 'prime' yet though and he lost because he gassed out.

I think Floyd Mayweather at 130 or 135 vs. Sweet Pea would have been one hell of a boxing clinic.

DBSLM
10-16-2011, 04:01 AM
I think Loreto Garza would of had a good shot at 140

Left2body
10-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Since I've been watching lightweight I would say Duran has the best shot and I would actually favor Duran to beat Sweat Pea 7x out of 10. Other than Duran I think Pernell is the best 135lb fighter I have ever seen fight on live TV or in person (not counting old timers like Benny Leonard and Joe Gans.)

However the guys who would have best shot are, Arguello, Mosley and a young prime Casamayor (who is very under-rated at light weight).

SBleeder
10-16-2011, 09:58 AM
At 135, only Benny Leonard, Gans, and Duran would have beaten him consistently.

SCtrojansbaby
10-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Pacquiao would stop Pernells and beats him the worse, Pacquiao throws too many punches, has the hand speed advantage and Pernell's best punches wouldn't even make Pacquiao blink. But I think plenty of other guys beat Pernell by decision including

Oscar De La Hoya
Felix Trinidad
Aaron Pryor
Roberto Duran
Hector Camacho
Meldrick Taylor
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Sugar Ray Leonard
Tommy Hearns

and others I am probable forgetting

New England
10-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Pacquiao would stop Pernells and beats him the worse, Pacquiao throws too many punches, has the hand speed advantage and Pernell's best punches wouldn't even make Pacquiao blink. But I think plenty of other guys beat Pernell by decision including

Oscar De La Hoya
Felix Trinidad
Aaron Pryor
Roberto Duran
Hector Camacho
Meldrick Taylor
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Sugar Ray Leonard
Tommy Hearns

and others I am probable forgetting

much bigger men.

i think the discussion is generally centered around the LW division, as that was whitaker's best weight

joseph5620
10-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Sweet Pea's first pro loss was in a 15 rounder and I'm pretty sure it was his first title shot. He wasn't exactly in his 'prime' yet though and he lost because he gassed out.

I think Floyd Mayweather at 130 or 135 vs. Sweet Pea would have been one hell of a boxing clinic.

It was a 12 round fight and Whitaker was robbed. He never "gassed out".

DeepSleep
10-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Given Sweet Pea's style I don't think anyone will convincingly beat him unless they have a significant size advantage.

Hakuna Matata
10-16-2011, 11:38 PM
It was a 12 round fight and Whitaker was robbed. He never "gassed out".

You're right about the bout being 12 rounds but the fight I watched it looked like Pernell was tired in the championship rounds. I'm not saying he wasn't robbed, but I am saying that he lost the final rounds because he was gassed.
But that's just my opinion.

Capaedia
10-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Given Sweet Pea's style I don't think anyone will convincingly beat him unless they have a significant size advantage.

I'm going to go with this.

Sweet Pea does very well H2H, I believe. Actually I think most defensive boxers do but that's just me.

El Jesus
10-17-2011, 01:41 AM
I give lightweight duran the best chance, however convincingly is the problem, sweet pea rolled, ducked and dodged too many punches and guys with a high punch output were very good at looking busy as opposed to actually hitting him, therefore "convincingly" is a big issue, but i give duran a good shot just because there were times where Whitaker could actually be touched and Duran could certainly drop whitaker at 135 to even up any lost rounds on the scorcard.

nonethless. good question, the carlos ortiz at LW comes to mind but someone already said that. Manny Pacquiao at 135/130 as someone mentioned i dont think thats a particularly good mactcup for pacquiao since Whitakers jab and movement would be too much to overcome, a guy like morales showed that an accurate jab causes alot of problems for pacquiao, i dont think its favorable for him.

ghns1133
10-17-2011, 01:52 AM
duran, carlos ortiz, benny leonard at 135 maybe ike williams too

at 47 there are a good amount

Check_hooks
10-17-2011, 01:56 AM
Pacquiao knocks him out hatton style

LeG00N
10-17-2011, 02:05 AM

sometimes I think you're just trolling

but then I realize you're just a simpleton that actually believes what he says.

ghns1133
10-17-2011, 02:17 AM

go away and never come back please

SCtrojansbaby
10-17-2011, 02:34 AM
I give lightweight duran the best chance, however convincingly is the problem, sweet pea rolled, ducked and dodged too many punches and guys with a high punch output were very good at looking busy as opposed to actually hitting him, therefore "convincingly" is a big issue, but i give duran a good shot just because there were times where Whitaker could actually be touched and Duran could certainly drop whitaker at 135 to even up any lost rounds on the scorcard.

nonethless. good question, the carlos ortiz at LW comes to mind but someone already said that. Manny Pacquiao at 135/130 as someone mentioned i dont think thats a particularly good mactcup for pacquiao since Whitakers jab and movement would be too much to overcome, a guy like morales showed that an accurate jab causes alot of problems for pacquiao, i dont think its favorable for him.

Whitaker doesn't have anywhere near enough power to cause the problems that Morales did. Pacquiao has the handspeed advantage and would consistently beat Pernell to the punch when he tried to stay in and counter punch

Worst possible matchup for Whitaker

ghns1133
10-17-2011, 02:47 AM
Whitaker doesn't have anywhere near enough power to cause the problems that Morales did. Pacquiao has the handspeed advantage and would consistently beat Pernell to the punch when he tried to stay in and counter punch

Worst possible matchup for Whitaker

your assesments and oppionons on whitaker dont count

Ziggy Stardust
10-17-2011, 09:26 AM
The only fighter I'd favor over a prime Whitaker at Lightweight is Duran. Benny Leonard and Gans are 50/50 fights for Pernell as I see it. Ortiz I'd give a shot while favoring Whitaker. Nobody else comes close.

Poet