View Full Version : SRR fought Lamotta twice in 21 days and WOW even had a tuneup fight in between!

texasboi15
10-14-2011, 05:01 AM
Sugar Ray Robinson fought Jake Lamotta for the second time on Feb. 5 1943.

He lost to Lamotta by unanimous decision.

Two weeks later on Feb. 19 he fought and beat Jackie Wilson as a tune up fight.

ONE WEEK after beating Wilson he fights Lamotta again on Feb. 26 1943 and defeats him by unanimous decision.

3 fights in 21 days...amazing

ThePrince
10-14-2011, 05:13 AM
One of the key reasons Boxing has completely fallen off from it's pedestal in the American sports scene. Guys used to fight all the time, including the superstars. You're lucky to see the top guys fight 2x per year, if that. The money has gotten so big that they can do that and make $40-60 million a year that way.

I'm not even asking for what SRR did, just give me like 4 or 5 fights per year from the stars of the sport. Impossible with the way promotions, PPV, revenue, etc works these days but still... throw a fan a bone :(

Kylecee
10-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Yea the reason they fought that often was to feed their family and to survive. Sugar Ray didn't fight that much because he loved the sport. He fought to have money for groceries. If he was making money like elite boxers today then trust me he wouldn't have nearly as many fights as he does

SplitSecond
10-14-2011, 09:17 AM
who the **** cares
anyone could have fights every week against bums

Mannie Phresh
10-14-2011, 09:20 AM
if robinson fought today you wouldnt here of may or pac.

SplitSecond
10-14-2011, 09:23 AM
if robinson fought today you wouldnt here of may or pac.

obviously im gonna be put on the cross for this but floyd would box the sht outta robinson

UD

Mannie Phresh
10-14-2011, 09:24 AM
obviously im gonna be put on the cross for this but floyd would box the sht outta robinson

UD

mayweather wouldnt beat lamotta...

Sin City
10-14-2011, 09:28 AM
One of the key reasons Boxing has completely fallen off from it's pedestal in the American sports scene. Guys used to fight all the time, including the superstars. You're lucky to see the top guys fight 2x per year, if that. The money has gotten so big that they can do that and make $40-60 million a year that way.

I'm not even asking for what SRR did, just give me like 4 or 5 fights per year from the stars of the sport. Impossible with the way promotions, PPV, revenue, etc works these days but still... throw a fan a bone :(
guys died much more often back then as well.. many stayed permanently damaged. I say 3 fights a year from each fighter is a good amount.

SplitSecond
10-14-2011, 09:33 AM
mayweather wouldnt beat lamotta...

:rofl: ofcourse he ****in would, have you ever seen lamotta fight? he's a bum and hyped just because he won one fight vs robinson

if robinson can outbox him obviously mayweather can too

lamotta was the baldomir of that era

Mannie Phresh
10-14-2011, 09:34 AM
:rofl: ofcourse he ****in would, have you ever seen lamotta fight? he's a bum and hyped just because he won one fight vs robinson

thats goin in my sig ugh. f@cking classic.

NoLove
10-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Some of these comments are priceless.

Mannie Phresh
10-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Some of these comments are priceless.

for real. i saved that baldomir one myself.

NoLove
10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
for real. i saved that baldomir one myself.

:rofl: same. He has to be trolling???

Alx.
10-14-2011, 10:35 AM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_led1qqvvFO1qdlkgg.gif

SplitSecond
10-14-2011, 10:42 AM
this is great, jake lamotta is now an ATG :lol1:

TheGreatA
10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Wilson was no tune-up fight either. He was seen as the number 2 welterweight at the time behind Robinson.

IronDanHamza
10-14-2011, 11:20 AM

this is great, jake lamotta is now an ATG :lol1:

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Jake Lamotta is widely regarded as a Top 10 ATG Middleweight.

Beat ATG's like Marcel Cerdan and Ray Robinson.

Very close fights with Robinson besides the 6th fight. Some could have gone either way.

HOF'er Fritzie Zivic 4 times

And plenty of quality Middleweights such as Yarosz, Satterfield, Janiro, Dauthielle and many others.

SplitSecond
10-14-2011, 11:27 AM
i possibly went overboard with the hate, but still, he's a hype job who beat on little men, zivic was past it and still beat'em
cerdan was good, robinson was good
holman was past it

atg middleweight? sure,
but you've always shown your disdain for hopkins fighting smaller men, not lamotta though

IronDanHamza
10-14-2011, 11:40 AM
i possibly went overboard with the hate, but still, he's a hype job who beat on little men, zivic was past it and still beat'em
cerdan was good, robinson was good
holman was past it

atg middleweight? sure,
but you've always shown your disdain for hopkins fighting smaller men, not lamotta though

A hype job who happened to beat argubally the greatest Middleweight of all time?

A hype job who beat ATG's?

Please, discover the meaning of Hype Job. Jake Lamotta isn't one.

Holman Williams beat Archie Moore within a year before he fought Lamotta aswell as Charley Burley. He wasn't all that passed it.

Same applies for Zivic. Past it but far from done.

The difference between Hopkins and Lamotta's 'little men' is the 'little men' Lamotta beat like Ray Robinson, Holman Williams and Fritzie Zivic is they are proven, legit MW's. Just like Trinidad is for Hopkins.

Whereas Hopkins wins over the likes of Oscar at Middleweight who has done nothing at the weight just like Winky Wright who did nothing above 160 and Pavlik who did nothing above 160.

That's the difference.

SplitSecond
10-14-2011, 11:46 AM
A hype job who happened to beat argubally the greatest Middleweight of all time?

A hype job who beat ATG's?

Please, discover the meaning of Hype Job. Jake Lamotta isn't one.

Holman Williams beat Archie Moore within a year before he fought Lamotta aswell as Charley Burley. He wasn't all that passed it.

Same applies for Zivic. Past it but far from done.

The difference between Hopkins and Lamotta's 'little men' is the 'little men' Lamotta beat like Ray Robinson, Holman Williams and Fritzie Zivic is they are proven, legit MW's. Just like Trinidad is for Hopkins.

Whereas Hopkins wins over the likes of Oscar at Middleweight who has done nothing at the weight just like Winky Wright who did nothing above 160 and Pavlik who did nothing above 160.

That's the difference.
man what are you talkin about? he beat robinson at welterweight
he beat zivic at jmw pretty much
how many hop fights where hop outweighed the little guys he's picking on by almost 10+lb's?

IronDanHamza
10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
man what are you talkin about? he beat robinson at welterweight
he beat zivic at jmw pretty much
how many hop fights where hop outweighed the little guys he's picking on by almost 10+lb's?

But Robinson proved he had the ability to beat Middleweights weighing in close to the WW limit and went on to be one of the greatest Middleweight's all time.

Same day weigh in too.

Zivic, the same.

Whereas Hopkins fought some guys who didn't and never went on to do anything at those weights.

Unlike Trinidad who although was a smaller fighter was a legit, proven and solid Middleweight. Which is an exceptional win regardless to that.

Which again, is the difference.

This thread and the thread in the History section confirms you know nothing about Jake Lamotta and his opponents so why just learn about him before talking nonsense?

SplitSecond
10-14-2011, 12:31 PM
But Robinson proved he had the ability to beat Middleweights weighing in close to the WW limit and went on to be one of the greatest Middleweight's all time.

Same day weigh in too.

Zivic, the same.

Whereas Hopkins fought some guys who didn't and never went on to do anything at those weights.

Unlike Trinidad who although was a smaller fighter was a legit, proven and solid Middleweight. Which is an exceptional win regardless to that.

Which again, is the difference.

This thread and the thread in the History section confirms you know nothing about Jake Lamotta and his opponents so why just learn about him before talking nonsense?

you want me to learn about him? i was trying to not be rude in the history section, but as always everyone gets constipated when you're not sheep

zivic was way past it, way outweighed, arguably beat lamotta twice
doesn't matter about robinson, styles make fights
cerdan, his best win was a one-armed fighter who sparingly threw

atleast hop beat'em in their primes

and zivic did something at middleweight? off to boxrec

Elotero
10-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Sugar Ray Robinson fought Jake Lamotta for the second time on Feb. 5 1943.

He lost to Lamotta by unanimous decision.

Two weeks later on Feb. 19 he fought and beat Jackie Wilson as a tune up fight.

ONE WEEK after beating Wilson he fights Lamotta again on Feb. 26 1943 and defeats him by unanimous decision.

3 fights in 21 days...amazing

I know right! And the Pinoy stans want to make a big deal that their ATG Bum Ceferino Garcia won a title and defended it 2 times. In old times, thats like being champ for 2 months. :boxing:

RubenSonny
10-14-2011, 12:39 PM
you want me to learn about him? i was trying to not be rude in the history section, but as always everyone gets constipated when you're not sheep

No. You were talking crap and you had nothing to back it up with.

SplitSecond
10-14-2011, 12:42 PM
No. You were talking crap and you had nothing to back it up with.

could be true, i dont recall

paulf
10-14-2011, 12:49 PM

UD

Floyd wouldn't have a shot in the dark. Even his Uncle/Trainer says SRR is better than Floyd.

T.Horton
10-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Yea the reason they fought that often was to feed their family and to survive. Sugar Ray didn't fight that much because he loved the sport. He fought to have money for groceries. If he was making money like elite boxers today then trust me he wouldn't have nearly as many fights as he doesRay Robinson had huge money. He may have been living cheque to cheque but a guy like him did not HAVE to fight as often as he did.

What you are saying would have been the case with 99 percent of fighters but not the elite.

SplitSecond
10-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Floyd wouldn't have a shot in the dark. Even his Uncle/Trainer says SRR is better than Floyd.

i've trolled too far this time, still an overrated boxer to me though

RubenSonny
10-14-2011, 01:02 PM
could be true, i dont recall

It's right there for you to read.

SplitSecond
10-14-2011, 01:10 PM
It's right there for you to read.
pass...........

CubanGuyNYC
10-14-2011, 01:43 PM

I'm not even asking for what SRR did, just give me like 4 or 5 fights per year from the stars of the sport. Impossible with the way promotions, PPV, revenue, etc works these days but still...

All true. And I'm with you; four fights a year from each of the top guys would be just fine with me.

CubanGuyNYC
10-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Ray Robinson had huge money. He may have been living cheque to cheque but a guy like him did not HAVE to fight as often as he did.

What you are saying would have been the case with 99 percent of fighters but not the elite.

Pretty much....

"Sugar" might also have fought that often because that's just they way it was done back in those days, before the "paradigm shift". Robinson probably would've fought just about as often as other elite fighters of a given time, if he fought in their era.

IronDanHamza
10-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Why's this been moved to the History Section?

This isn't exactly a breaking discovery.

TheGreatA
10-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Pretty much....

"Sugar" might also have fought that often because that's just they way it was done back in those days, before the "paradigm shift". Robinson probably would've fought just about as often as other elite fighters of a given time, if he fought in their era.

Robinson said fighting as often as he did kept his skills sharpened. He was critical of boxers who fought less frequently.

CubanGuyNYC
10-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Robinson said fighting as often as he did kept his skills sharpened. He was critical of boxers who fought less frequently.

Cool. But do you think Ray would've fought, say, six times a year in 2011?

CubanGuyNYC
10-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Why's this been moved to the History Section?

This isn't exactly a breaking discovery.

I love how they'll stay on top of innocent little stuff like this, but ignore the countless garbage threads that constantly pop up. SMH

Scott9945
10-14-2011, 09:34 PM

So I suppose he would have said this to Floyd Mayweather Jr...:nono:

TheGreatA
10-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Cool. But do you think Ray would've fought, say, six times a year in 2011?

I wouldn't put it past him fight 6 times even now, although we wouldn't be seen those 10+ fight marathons per year from him.

The difference in today's era is that while there used to be a boxing card almost every day in numerous areas, the demand for boxing is a lot less nowadays with TV, PPV and a diminishing interest towards the sport in the US. It's not that boxers don't want to fight more often, for example the Klitschko brothers do, there just aren't any possibilities to do so.

Scott9945
10-14-2011, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't put it past him fight 6 times even now, although we wouldn't be seen those 10+ fight marathons per year from him.

The difference in today's era is that while there used to be a boxing card almost every day in numerous areas, the demand for boxing is a lot less nowadays with TV, PPV and a diminishing interest towards the sport in the US. It's not that boxers don't want to fight more often, for example the Klitschko brothers do, there just aren't any possibilities to do so.

If Robinson were fighting now, I suspect he too would get spoiled by the "TV money" that wasn't there at that time. Ray was aware of every dime he was paid and probably wouldn't jeopardize multi million dollar paychecks for off TV club fights.

And of course your point about so many less cards booked in the US now would be a major factor.

BOLLOCKS
10-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Damn that's gangsta. I always thought 2-3 fights a year was overdoing teh vacationing.

Forza
10-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Lamotta is clearly a top 10 ATG MW

Floyd would probably UD him. Nobody at 160 would ever EVER stop jake unless the ref did. It took a once in a life time fighter (SRR) to beat him.

And people think he's a brawler, it's sad. He was not a brawler....

Kid McCoy
10-15-2011, 09:05 AM
If Robinson were fighting now, I suspect he too would get spoiled by the "TV money" that wasn't there at that time. Ray was aware of every dime he was paid and probably wouldn't jeopardize multi million dollar paychecks for off TV club fights.

And of course your point about so many less cards booked in the US now would be a major factor.

This. Even in his day Robinson was regarded as a pain in the arse to deal with. Imagine what he'd be like in the big money PPV era with an army of lawyers, agents and advisors around him. Guys like Robinson fought often because they couldn't afford to only fight a couple of times a year. Like every other modern fighter, he wouldn't fight as often because he wouldn't need to.

RubenSonny
10-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Lamotta is clearly a top 10 ATG MW

Floyd would probably UD him. Nobody at 160 would ever EVER stop jake unless the ref did. It took a once in a life time fighter (SRR) to beat him.

And people think he's a brawler, it's sad. He was not a brawler....

More likely Floyd gets outworked.

CubanGuyNYC
10-15-2011, 02:48 PM

You make a couple of good points, but, ultimately, I think your rationale is refuted by the following posts:

If Robinson were fighting now, I suspect he too would get spoiled by the "TV money" that wasn't there at that time.

Even in his day Robinson was regarded as a pain in the arse to deal with. Imagine what he'd be like in the big money PPV era with an army of lawyers, agents and advisors around him. Guys like Robinson fought often because they couldn't afford to only fight a couple of times a year. Like every other modern fighter, he wouldn't fight as often because he wouldn't need to.

The game has changed. Even the GOAT would probably fall in line with the current system. Not only is there vastly more money in boxing (for the superstars, anyway), but -- consider this -- fighting too often would have a detrimental effect on Robinson's average take. It's one thing to get paid 25 million US for one fight a year (a la Floyd), it's another to expect that same compensation six times a year.

TheGreatA
10-15-2011, 03:50 PM
I can't imagine Robinson fighting at the pace of Floyd Mayweather either. This was a boxer who felt he got rusty if he did not fight in two months. Not that I'd expect him to fight 6 times every year but he would probably fight 3 or 4 times atleast.

Whitaker used to fight journeymen in club fights in between his big fights so Robinson could do the same. Chavez of course used to have atleast 5 fights a year. Tyson had 13 fights in 1986.

DarkTerror88
10-15-2011, 05:38 PM
I fight every couple of weeks. Im into my 14th fight as a pro. Why? Because i make enough money to sustain all my bills and then save a bit. If i made a couple million per fight i wouldnt fight often either. I would still train everyday but not big fights.

When your survival depends on fighting, it makes you fight more.

My wife and I work everyday so we can have nice things and so our children wont grow up poor like we did.

CubanGuyNYC
10-15-2011, 06:27 PM
I can't imagine Robinson fighting at the pace of Floyd Mayweather either. This was a boxer who felt he got rusty if he did not fight in two months. Not that I'd expect him to fight 6 times every year but he would probably fight 3 or 4 times atleast.

Whitaker used to fight journeymen in club fights in between his big fights so Robinson could do the same. Chavez of course used to have atleast 5 fights a year. Tyson had 13 fights in 1986.

I agree, "Sugar" probably wouldn't take the Mayweather approach. As a superstar, however, I'm not sure I can picture Ray taking on journeymen between big fights, either.

Tyson became champ at the end of '86. He fought four times in '87 and never fought more than three times a year after that. Even Chavez's activity dropped quite a bit once he became big. Not surprisingly, Julio started his career very actively; but by 1995, he was down to three fights per year. Between '95 and the end of his career in '05, Chavez fought four times only once (1999). I don't see why Robinson should be any different.

CubanGuyNYC
10-15-2011, 06:36 PM
I fight every couple of weeks. Im into my 14th fight as a pro. Why? Because i make enough money to sustain all my bills and then save a bit. If i made a couple million per fight i wouldnt fight often either. I would still train everyday but not big fights.

When your survival depends on fighting, it makes you fight more.

My wife and I work everyday so we can have nice things and so our children wont grow up poor like we did.

No surprise. In this era of big money fights, there's little incentive to fight more than four or five times a year for a big-name fighter. For a bona fide superstar, two or three times is plenty. It sucks for the fans, but, from a business standpoint, you have to keep people wanting. And, of course, there's the concern for the fighter's long-term health. I despise Floyd's approach, but I can't argue with the theory behind it. Why take chances when you're scoring tens of millions per fight?

(By the way, congratulations on your wedding!)