View Full Version : Michael Moorer the light heavyweight

Pastrano
10-13-2011, 04:17 PM
How would you rank him as a lhw, historically? I know he didnt fight that many good opponents there, but he was so dominant and looked great. And what do you think his chances would have been against Michael Spinks, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, Dwight M. Qawi and Matthew Saad?

Sugarj
10-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I thought about posting his name in the other Light heavyweight thread, but thought I'd ship some grief.

That said, the guy was a monster at the weight.......I think he'd give many of the top 20 best light heavyweights a damn good fight, and certainly beat more than a few.

His punch power and southpaw stance make him a difficult prospect for anyone.

Scott9945
10-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Moorer certainly looked dangerous at lightheavyweight. The problem is that he never fought anyone who would make the all time top 200 at that weight. My opinion is that his chin would have betrayed him against the best. Very ordinary Frankie Swindell had him staggered. With just 21 fights in that division, Moorer doesn't add up to very much in its history.

TheGreatA
10-13-2011, 06:46 PM
He doesn't rate historically. Moorer was obviously a big puncher and physically very big at the weight, but his suspect chin, vulnerable defense and one-dimensional style would have been found out by the elite of the division. Moorer basically relied on KO'ing his opponent and was actually losing quite badly to a washed up Leslie Stewart until getting him out of there with one punch.

In his era he could have reigned though, Virgil Hill was the only light heavyweight worth mentioning during that era.

RubenSonny
10-13-2011, 07:12 PM
How would you rank him as a lhw, historically? I know he didnt fight that many good opponents there, but he was so dominant and looked great. And what do you think his chances would have been against Michael Spinks, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, Dwight M. Qawi and Matthew Saad?

Beating one ranked opponent and holding a paper title hardly makes you dominant.

IronDanHamza
10-13-2011, 07:39 PM
He just wasn't very good.

I mean, he was good, he had alot of ability.

But his resume there is genuinely terrible.

TBear
10-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Agreed. Moorer looked great at 175 but the level of competiton was bad.

RubenSonny
10-13-2011, 08:15 PM
He's actually more overrated than Mosley at lightweight. He gets embarrassed by any great LHW.

SCtrojansbaby
10-13-2011, 08:44 PM
He beats Mustafa Muhammad and Saad Muhammad and gets KO'd by Spinks and Qawi

TBear
10-13-2011, 09:00 PM
He beats Mustafa Muhammad and Saad Muhammad

I disagree.

Scott9945
10-13-2011, 09:19 PM
He beats Mustafa Muhammad and Saad Muhammad and gets KO'd by Spinks and Qawi

Those two were SO much better than anyone Moorer fought at 175 it isn't even funny. Moorer gets KO'd by either of them.

joseph5620
10-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Those two were SO much better than anyone Moorer fought at 175 it isn't even funny. Moorer gets KO'd by either of them.

It's unbelievable that anybody would look at it any other way.

SCtrojansbaby
10-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Didn't say he had a better resume. But neither guys has particularly good defense and with Moorers power I think he can get to both of them.

Scott9945
10-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Didn't say he had a better resume. But neither guys has particularly good defense and with Moorers power I think he can get to both of them.

EMM and MSM both had more than adequate power to test Moorer's fragile chin. Their own chins were rock solid too.

Rockin'
10-14-2011, 12:21 AM
I watched him live down at Cobo Arena a few times when he was coming up. He was a monster at Light Heavy. He was rather slow and methodical and generally never threw many punches but when he did he would hurt the guy if not put his opponent to the canvas. I remember one of his opponents leaving the arena on a stretcher.

As far as fighting some of the other greats in his division I see it like this. Quawi wouldn't have stood a chance. Mathew Saad Muhammed would have been a good fight. While Spinks was a good boxer I don't believe that he would have held up under Moorers power. I would catagorize Moorers power relatively close to that of Tysons and you know what Tyson did to Spinks.

While he didn't do his greatest work in the Light Heavyweight division I still consider Moorer to be one of the better fighters at that weight............Rockin':boxing:

SCtrojansbaby
10-14-2011, 12:23 AM
EMM and MSM both had more than adequate power to test Moorer's fragile chin. Their own chins were rock solid too.

I think Moorer boxes them from the outside

Scott9945
10-14-2011, 12:36 AM
I think Moorer boxes them from the outside

The Michael Moorer who fought at 175 didn't box with anyone. As a heavyweight he was entirely different. And I don't think he could have outboxed Mustapha Muhammad anyway.

JAB5239
10-14-2011, 05:10 AM
I would catagorize Moorers power relatively close to that of Tysons and you know what Tyson did to Spinks.

At 175? I disagree. Moorer wasn't anywhere near as fast and explosive as Tyson either.

Pastrano
10-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Frankly, the only lhw great who I can see beating Moorer for sure are Bob Foster, Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles and Harold Johnson. Foster because he was the only one who matched Moorer in size and ofc because of his awesome punching power, Moore because of his extreme resilience, heart and punching power and the other 2 because they were simply too clever and too slick. Charles could pack a punch too.

EMM, Spinks and MSM would all be tough fights but I don't see them being unconquerable for Double M. Qawi would perhaps present the greatest challenge of that generation for Moorer, considering how a similar Bert Cooper gave Moorer a helluva fight.

RubenSonny
10-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Frankly, the only lhw great who I can see beating Moorer for sure are Bob Foster, Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles and Harold Johnson. Foster because he was the only one who matched Moorer in size and ofc because of his awesome punching power, Moore because of his extreme resilience, heart and punching power and the other 2 because they were simply too good and too slick.

All of them would dispose of him easily, and so would a bunch of other LHWs.

Pastrano
10-14-2011, 11:12 AM
All of them would dispose of him easily, and so would a bunch of other LHWs.

:bsflag: Its obvious you don't like Moorer. How come?

RubenSonny
10-14-2011, 11:24 AM
:bsflag: Its obvious you don't like Moorer. How come?

I've no problem with him, I'm just realistic about how good he actually was and considering he never fought anyone with a pulse at LHW (even struggled against some of his appalling opposition) my opinion makes perfect sense to anyone who knows what they are talking about.

Scott9945
10-14-2011, 12:49 PM
At 175? I disagree. Moorer wasn't anywhere near as fast and explosive as Tyson either.

Tyson didn't beat the best group of heavyweights ever, but they were ATG's compared to the miscellaneous crap that Moorer fought at 175. Not a realistic comparison at all.

NChristo
10-14-2011, 02:25 PM
I watched him live down at Cobo Arena a few times when he was coming up. He was a monster at Light Heavy. He was rather slow and methodical and generally never threw many punches but when he did he would hurt the guy if not put his opponent to the canvas. I remember one of his opponents leaving the arena on a stretcher.

As far as fighting some of the other greats in his division I see it like this. Quawi wouldn't have stood a chance. Mathew Saad Muhammed would have been a good fight. While Spinks was a good boxer I don't believe that he would have held up under Moorers power. I would catagorize Moorers power relatively close to that of Tysons and you know what Tyson did to Spinks.

While he didn't do his greatest work in the Light Heavyweight division I still consider Moorer to be one of the better fighters at that weight............Rockin':boxing:

Yep we know what Tyson did to Spinks, a Spinks that was out of his prime, in a weight class he clearly didn't belong in and came out of a brief retirement to fight him, definitely a good Spinks to use instead of the actual Light Heavy Spinks that should be used for the fight.

Spinks couldn't of stood to Moorer's power ?, do you think Moorer can stand up to Spinks' power ?, the man might as well of carried dynamite in both hands and imo he is among the most complete boxers ever. Moorer is getting a beating here.

Why exactly wouldn't of Qawi stood a chance ?, explain.

joseph5620
10-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Yep we know what Tyson did to Spinks, a Spinks that was out of his prime, in a weight class he clearly didn't belong in and came out of a brief retirement to fight him, definitely a good Spinks to use instead of the actually Light Heavy Spinks that should be used for the fight.

Spinks couldn't of stood to Moorer's power ?, do you think Moorer can stand up to Spinks' power ?, the man might as well of carried dynamite in both hands and imo he is among the most complete boxers ever. Moorer is getting a beating here.

Why exactly wouldn't of Qawi stood a chance ?, explain.

I would like to see an explanation for that too.

Pastrano
10-14-2011, 03:22 PM
I watched a fight yesterday where some english moron (no offense to any englishmen here) said Moorer didn't have enough power as a hw.:rofl:

joseph5620
10-14-2011, 03:28 PM
I watched a fight yesterday where some english moron (no offense to any englishmen here) said Moorer didn't have enough power as a hw.:rofl:

He could punch at heavyweight but he was never a Tyson type of puncher in spite of how he's getting overrated in this thread.

Scott9945
10-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Okay, so what was Moorer's biggest KO win at heavyweight? After Botha there is nobody even resembling a heavyweight contender.

Pastrano
10-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Okay, so what was Moorer's biggest KO win at heavyweight? After Botha there is nobody even resembling a heavyweight contender.

I'd say Alex Stewart and Bert Cooper.

Scott9945
10-14-2011, 05:08 PM
I'd say Alex Stewart and Bert Cooper.

Hmm...maybe, although I would label both as fringe contenders. Both of them had Moorer in serious trouble too, which probably helped ease MM into more of a boxer.