View Full Version : Hardest heavyweight punch of all time to score a k'o or knock down

drew75
12-26-2004, 05:23 PM
I think the hardest punch ever was when Joe Frazier knocked down Ali in their first fight. George Foreman or Earnie Shavers couldn't knock him down and they are considered two of the hardest hitting heavyweights ever.Ken Norton broke Ali's jaw and he still finished the fight. Ali is regarded as having the best chin of any heavyweight so Frazier must have hit him pretty hard to knock him down.

marvdave
12-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Weaver-Tate

tnf1400
12-26-2004, 10:55 PM
I think the hardest punch ever was when Joe Frazier knocked down Ali in their first fight. George Foreman or Earnie Shavers couldn't knock him down and they are considered two of the hardest hitting heavyweights ever.Ken Norton broke Ali's jaw and he still finished the fight. Ali is regarded as having the best chin of any heavyweight so Frazier must have hit him pretty hard to knock him down.

i think ali might have fallen down because he was tired .frazier hit him with better punchs than the one ali was knocked down on.

Mr. Ryan
12-27-2004, 04:01 PM
Earnie Shavers' punch that put Holmes down.

The Italian Stallion
12-27-2004, 04:43 PM
I think Tyson had the hardest punch of altime.

Great
12-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Maybe you right... It was outstanding.
http://www.galleryofchampions.com/photos/ALIFRAZIER1A.JPG

Great
12-28-2004, 01:32 PM
http://vnexpress.net/Vietnam/The-thao/2003/03/3B9C6177/Ali_Frazier1B.jpg

Great
12-28-2004, 01:33 PM
http://www.antekprizering.com/alifrazier104.jpeg

Great
12-28-2004, 01:34 PM
http://www.antekprizering.com/alifrazier105.jpeg

Great
12-28-2004, 01:35 PM
http://www.antekprizering.com/alifrazier109.jpeg

Great
12-28-2004, 01:36 PM
http://www.antekprizering.com/alifrazier110.jpeg

hambone
12-28-2004, 04:43 PM
it was frazier Foreman when frazier, who has a chin of his own, was catapulted in the air by a foreman uppercut

ShotgunSeanK
12-28-2004, 09:07 PM
What about this one

http://aaib.org/aaib_biographies/aaib_rocky_bio/rocky_walcott.JPG

Ivansmamma
12-28-2004, 09:31 PM
it was frazier Foreman when frazier, who has a chin of his own, was catapulted in the air by a foreman uppercut

Yeah that must have been the hardest punch ever.

MGG
12-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Tim Witherspoon KO 1 Anders Ekland. :eek:

stix
12-29-2004, 03:16 AM
How about Jack Dempsey, when he broke Jess Willards jaw? :D

kinkboxer
12-29-2004, 11:28 AM
I invite members to post their pics of what they think is the best foto of a punch ever delivered! My favorite is this one.

kinkboxer
12-29-2004, 11:33 AM
let me try again. Maybe the nest punch KO was Jack Johnson vs. Stanley Ketchel in 1909/1910, wish we had a pic of that punch!

Soundtraveler
12-29-2004, 12:53 PM

You beat me to the punch so to speak, as I was going to add that punch as my vote, Big George was an incredible force in the ring, and damn good in business outside the ring I have to say, I personaly own one of the grills, it works great with chicken!

I really wish he would come back to HBO as a commentator, he is much better than Roy Jones at the job....

Clay AikSkins
12-30-2004, 04:43 PM
I gotta say George Foreman when he knocked out Moorer. Frazier had handspeed. George had none he knocked you out in slow motion.lmfao :D

Palma
12-30-2004, 05:18 PM
So manty great KO punches out there.

zoo
12-31-2004, 05:17 AM

May not be the hardest but certainly the most famous, it shook a whole generation. Good pick.

Sidestep_1
01-02-2005, 10:35 AM

That was freaky :eek: !!! Also the left uppercut that Big George delivered to Cooney (second KD). Lewis´sledgehammer on Rahman was also a very hard punch, and Tyson´sright that floored Golota was also a perfect punch.

M26
01-06-2005, 01:48 PM
I think it would have to be Marcianos "Susie Q" in his title winning fight against Jersey Joe Walcott. It only took that one punch and Walcott was not only knocked out, but he lost conciousness. A perfect shot.

Toller
01-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Can you post pictures without having to use the attachments thing?

partee
01-15-2005, 03:00 PM
How about Floyd Patterson's rematch with Ingmar Johanssen, Ingo did the Elvis shake

adeelr
01-16-2005, 12:37 AM
isn't lennos lewis the hardest hitting h.wieght. anyways i think that jersey joe walcot knocked out ezzard charles with the hardest heavyweight punch.

gwenstefani
01-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Hardest Ever!! Ike vs Byrd. Holy ****. He knocked him stupid. Literally,,chris was foaming out the mouth ,,talkin to himself,,wow

jayrichardse
01-16-2005, 11:51 PM
vitali is the best puncher ever

AIR_KENG
01-17-2005, 10:20 AM
mike tyson sure ranks as one of the hardest heavy weight punchers of all time, i am obviously a tyson fan (technically, when he was at his prime)

SalvaDominicano
01-17-2005, 10:50 AM
i forgot who tyson fought but he had already knocked the guy down once. when he got back up tyson put all he had into the right hook. when it connected it turned the guys head all the way to the right and u can see the power just went from his head to his feet and the guy looked like he said OHHHHHHHHH! when he got hit. lol funniest and one of the hardest punches ive seen.

dempseyfire
01-17-2005, 02:20 PM
i forgot who tyson fought but he had already knocked the guy down once. when he got back up tyson put all he had into the right hook. when it connected it turned the guys head all the way to the right and u can see the power just went from his head to his feet and the guy looked like he said OHHHHHHHHH! when he got hit. lol funniest and one of the hardest punches ive seen.

Impossible to say which punch was the hardest but look at Cooney-Norton or Ruddock-Dokes to see two real highlight reel KOs.

SalvaDominicano
01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Impossible to say which punch was the hardest but look at Cooney-Norton or Ruddock-Dokes to see two real highlight reel KOs.

got any clips?

MlLkMan
01-17-2005, 05:54 PM
I think Tyson had the hardest punch of altime.

yeah me too.

slivic
01-22-2005, 04:58 PM
I would have to agree with Jack Johnson vs. Stanley Ketchel. After watching the video in Unforgivable Blackness and hearing he had teeth stuck to his glove.

marvdave
01-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Mike Weaver had some nice ones....vs Coetzee, Carl"The Truth" Williams and John Tate.

Shavers v Holmes (Holmes amazingly got up and still won)

jayrichardse
01-30-2005, 06:52 PM
the best ever

ghostdancer
02-03-2005, 02:22 PM
ali v frazer just goes to show how good ali was to get up from that it would have kept most fighters down for the weekend

england4ever
02-08-2005, 07:48 PM
I would have to say either jack johnson for the teeth incident or when jack dempsey fought jess willard, where he broke almost every bone in willards face. Each of those punches looked like being hit with a mallet.

Imira
02-10-2005, 06:11 PM
What about this one

http://aaib.org/aaib_biographies/aaib_rocky_bio/rocky_walcott.JPG

The "Suzy Q"

Imira
02-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Liston-Whitehurst. One big punch sent Whitehurst out of the ring.

By the way, I read up on the Dempsey-Willard fight and it seems apparent that Willard's injuries were trumped up. Read it and judge for yourself:

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/dempsey_gloves.html

lmnorw
02-25-2005, 03:14 PM
your logic is flawed.foreman never ever hit ali with a clean head punch but yet ali still said foreman was the hardest puncher and frazier was the toughest and sonny liston was the most scary.but i do agree frazier hit harder than shavers.shavers landed tons of clean shots on ali and never dropped him and shavers was figting a shot ali..

lmnorw
02-25-2005, 03:16 PM
and tyson didnt punch harder than a old foreman ..foreman at 42 hurt a prime holyfield with jabs and tyson never hurt a old washed up holyfield so what does that say about tysons power?

dmar
07-02-2005, 09:23 AM
1.marcianos ko of louis.2. leotis martin over liston3. marciano over walcott4.patterson over johannson

75th
07-02-2005, 01:58 PM
http://www.antekprizering.com/marcianowalcottIpunchpic.jpeg

http://www.antekprizering.com/marcianowalcottpunch.jpeg

DudeManGuy216
07-04-2005, 01:41 PM
i also think the "Susie Q" is hardest heavyweight punch.
That second picture knox boxer posted is one of my fav boxing pics ever. Marciano said that one picture summed up the entire championship fight he had with Walcott.

ricecrispi
07-05-2005, 03:14 AM
http://www.antekprizering.com/marcianowalcottIpunchpic.jpeg

http://www.antekprizering.com/marcianowalcottpunch.jpeg

knox-boxer, you hit this one right on the chin. I think he was out cold for like 10 mins after that hit and most people throught he was dead.

The ali punch with frazier was hard but Ali was going backwards and square.

Dempsey Willard fight. The injuries were cause mainly because the man was down and no neutral corner. That's why they created one.

IRONTIGER
07-05-2005, 07:56 AM
:boxing: Iron Mike Tyson - 1999-01-16 - Francois Botha MGM Grand Las Vegas NV USA W KO 5 Time 2:59

Pugnacious_Z
07-05-2005, 09:45 AM
with dempsey and willard, rumour has it dat dempsey had plasta on his hands under teh gloves, dats why there was so many injures, 6 broken teeth, 6 broken ribs, broken cheeckbone, bronek jaw

Kid Achilles
07-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Thast rumor has been debunked since back in the 60's. Dempsey manager started that **** in an article he sold to Sports Illustrated to make some money. Complete myth from a guy who was known for telling tales.

JohnThomas1
07-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I haven't seen many harder than Shavers on Holmes, how the hell did he get up.

BiggestBoxingFanEver
07-08-2005, 09:29 AM
No ranking below just contenders for hardest hitting
Marciono

Ernie Shavers

Mike Tyson

Ron Lyle
George Foreman said that Ron Lyle hit like a ton of bricks. I guess being stapped nearly to death builds up a little rage.

triggerhappy
07-08-2005, 09:48 AM
wow those are some great pic....I think that is the punch that made ali a re..re..re..retard

hellfire508
07-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Frazier on Ali was HUGE
Patterson on Johanssen
Marciano on Walcott was also HUGE

hellfire508
07-08-2005, 10:02 AM
wow those are some great pic....I think that is the punch that made ali a re..re..re..retard

Dont be so disrespectful. Greatest man who ever lived, and you call him a retard? He gave us some of the greatest memories ever, even non-boxing fans. Most famous man in the world by far IMO, and loved.

FistoftheDallasStar
07-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Down goes Frazier, Down goes Frazier! To me the hardest punch would have to be Big George Forman's complete destruction of then heavyweight champion Joe Frazier. He kept getting up but he was just getting caught flush over and over.

anwaryussuf81
07-10-2005, 10:15 PM
the knock down was good but not the hardest punch knock down. Maybe foreman or liston had the hardest punch ever.

Tha_Greatest
07-10-2005, 10:27 PM
George Foreman then and I wonder what couldve been if David Tua had taken his career a bit more serious cause even now in the heavyweights ,he has a punch like no other, he had Lennox Lewis running in their fight

stepmonster
07-14-2005, 03:12 PM
that frazier ali one is good. the weakest ever is ali foreman. that was such bull. foreman faught a terrible fight.

TheEvilSaint
07-15-2005, 08:02 AM
rocky marciano's overhand right KO of jersey joe walcott in their first fight. hardest punch in history IMO.

jabsRstiff
07-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Down goes Frazier, Down goes Frazier! To me the hardest punch would have to be Big George Forman's complete destruction of then heavyweight champion Joe Frazier. He kept getting up but he was just getting caught flush over and over.

If the punches were so awesome.....how come Frazier got up SIX times ? Joe was super-tough & impossibly brave, but ....c'mon.

Foreman had incredibly heavy hands.....but was not as explosive as other fighters.

I don't think Joe Louis would need more than two knockdowns before finishing off Frazier.
Shavers first few flush bombs would have stretched Joe...
Tyson & Lennox Lewis wouldn't have needed all of those punches & knockdowns, either.

Skydog
07-15-2005, 10:50 PM

Funny, because I was about to put that. That was his fight with Michael Johnson in 1985.

BigIppoFireworks
07-17-2005, 06:40 AM
Sugar Ray Robinson, and when he punched the guy.

The dude never got up. EVER.

Tony Blitz
07-23-2005, 05:01 AM
that frazier ali one is good. the weakest ever is ali foreman. that was such bull.
I don't know if you're blind, but Foreman's head was moving right into that left hook that sent him down...

msocearnaigh
08-04-2005, 07:13 AM
let me try again. Maybe the nest punch KO was Jack Johnson vs. Stanley Ketchel in 1909/1910, wish we had a pic of that punch!
whos this in the pic?

mrrcool
07-12-2007, 01:19 AM
george foreman uppercut on gerry cooney :boxing:

porlie
07-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Marcianos right hand shot on Walcotts jaw :boxing:

Ziggy Stardust
07-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Earnie Shavers' punch that put Holmes down.

That's what I was going say! LOL! Also to the Stallion: Peeps who fought both Tyson and Shavers finger Shavers as the harder puncher.

Poet

porlie
07-12-2007, 09:24 AM
http://www.itsalreadysigned4u.com/shop/media/images/product_detail/AAA-20054.jpg

This is THEE best shot thrown by a HW

Brassangel
07-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Shavers was probably a harder puncher in the rawest sense of the word "power". Tyson's right hand was actually his best, most commonly the cause of his one-punch KO's, he just didn't land it flush very often. Tyson's speed and combinations made him one of the most devastating fighters in history.

Ray Robinson's scenario, while sad, is definitely up there.

Marciano vs. Walcott...purest right hand...ever.

Tua had a whopper againsnt Ruiz...though Ruiz sucks anyway.

Frazier's knockdown of Ali was the result of 15 rounds of hellish pressure. Ali was fatigued, and when it seemed like the fight was winding to a close, Joe lept a quarter of the way across the ring with a perfect-motion left hook. It was an accumulation of things besides raw power.

Patterson had a goodie against Johansson.

Ziggy Stardust
07-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Good spot on the Patterson punch. I had almost forgotten it: Patterson - Johannson II and a leaping left hook by Patterson spelled lights out!

Poet

XionComrade
07-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Probably the one that Earnie hit Holmes with, or the one Max Baer killed Campbell with, and Schaff.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/image.php?u=19108&dateline=1184324397&type=profile

catskills23
07-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Tysons uppercut where he was trying to push fergusons nose up in to the brain . Ferguson went down like he had being shot and his nose was smashed and pouring blood like a fawcet. How he got up i will never know but ferguson was finihed after that and all he could do was hold on to tyson until he was disqualified .

Ziggy Stardust
07-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Shavers was probably a harder puncher in the rawest sense of the word "power". Tyson's right hand was actually his best, most commonly the cause of his one-punch KO's, he just didn't land it flush very often. Tyson's speed and combinations made him one of the most devastating fighters in history.

It's interesting you make that observation on Tyson's right hand. Most things you hear it's always his left hook that gets the air time. I think you're right though. Interestingly enough he DID land that right flush against Razor Ruddock without Razor going down. Just goes to show how unpredictable boxing can be!

Poet

Feint
07-14-2007, 02:07 AM

Yep, that's my choice as well.

MickyHatton
07-14-2007, 07:12 AM

Henry Cooper hit him much harder, he was saved by the bell and an extended mid round period after his glove was mysteriously torn?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IzQZReUi3m4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IzQZReUi3m4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

XionComrade
07-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Now it is a known fact that Muhammad Ali repeatedly says that the left hand of Cooper was the hardest punch that put him down! And from watching that clip it is the worst trouble Ali was ever in in the boxing ring!

He still says that Shavers was the hardest puncher he ever faced, without hesitation.

Yaman
07-27-2007, 03:07 AM
Hardest overall: Earnie Shavers
Heaviest: George Foreman
Most accurate: Joe Louis
Most explosive: Mike Tyson
Pound for Pound: Rocky Marciano

MickyHatton
07-27-2007, 03:30 AM
Now it is a known fact that Muhammad Ali repeatedly says that the left hand of Cooper was the hardest punch that put him down! And from watching that clip it is the worst trouble Ali was ever in in the boxing ring!

He still says that Shavers was the hardest puncher he ever faced, without hesitation.

Our E'nry could really dig mind, Ali did go on to destroy though!

MickyHatton
07-27-2007, 03:31 AM
Hardest overall: Earnie Shavers
Heaviest: George Foreman
Most accurate: Joe Louis
Most explosive: Mike Tyson
Pound for Pound: Rocky Marciano

Cant really argue with this list!

Jimmy The Gent
07-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Our E'nry could really dig mind, Ali did go on to destroy though!

with a brown patch in his pants though

slicksouthpaw16
07-28-2007, 04:49 PM
I think it was when marcianno hit jersey joe walcott when they threw punches at the same time but marciannos landed first. that was the hardest knockout punch i ever seen. he put him to sleep with that one.

-CANE-
08-24-2007, 09:31 AM
So many great punches, it's hard to pick.
Marciano - Walcott,Walcott - Charles,Louis - Schmelling,Lewis - Rahman and Tyson - Berbick are some of the best though

them_apples
08-29-2007, 02:50 AM
when David Tua hit John Ruiz and put him to sleep in like what..19 seconds? you could hear the solid thuds as Ruiz slumped to the canvas

ForemanCrossArm
08-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Foreman - Frazier.
Tyson - Spinks.
I think Tyson's upper against Buster was amazingly strong (especially for that late in the fight, but it shows you how much Buster wanted to win that fight by getting up).

Dempsey 1919
08-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Just to name a few.

Tyson-Johnson 1985
Berbick-Tyson 1986
Tyson-C. Williams 1989
Frazier-Foreman I 1973
Braddock-Louis 1937
Louis-Paycheck 1940
Louis-Uzcuden 1936
Louis-Ramage II 1935
Liston-Westphal 1961
Liston-Williams I 1958
Walcott-Marciano I 1952
Marciano-Layne 1951
Shavers-Ellis 1976
Dempsey-Fulton 1917
Dempsey-Willard 1919
Jeffries-Corbett I 1901

And the list goes on and on...

Verstyle
08-29-2007, 12:57 PM
One of the hardest and underrated knockdowns Ive ever seen. You can even hear the thud of the shot.<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uLtfzB3zQSk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uLtfzB3zQSk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object> Even on the reply(which they showed plenty of angles on it on) They show where Mike gets all that power from.How he pivots and turns the hips.

them_apples
08-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Ray Mercer vs Tommy Morrison (hit gets hit like a heavy bag while hes out cold)
David Tua vs John Ruiz (you can hear the impact...)

@ vertasile, thats one crazy hit

ForemanCrossArm
08-29-2007, 10:25 PM
can we get a "scariest combo" because that would HAVE to be Gooney (almost) killing an aged Ken Norton in the corner.. damn, that was brutal, ugly, etc.

Verstyle
08-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Ray Mercer vs Tommy Morrison (hit gets hit like a heavy bag while hes out cold)
David Tua vs John Ruiz (you can hear the impact...)

@ vertasile, thats one crazy hit

Yeah it was.The sound of the hit was crazy.

Zach53088
08-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Did bob sap ever vs mike tyson?

Brunswick Assassin
09-20-2007, 08:21 PM
How about Jack Johnson's KO of Stanley Ketchel? Johnson had Ketchel's teeth embedded in his glove!

davidg83
09-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Jersey Joe Walcott v Ezzard Charles. Charles was out cold. Razor Ruddock v Michael Dokes and Ray Mercer v Tommy Morrison. ouch.

Brunswick Assassin
09-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Jersey Joe's beautiful lefy hook on Charles was something else! Textbook!

moofo
10-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Just had to share this with you if you never saw it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8QyaxvBCQ

duffgun
10-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Patterson - Johannson II is my fav. esp in slow motion

Panamaniac
10-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Tyson over Spinks
Foreman over Frazier
Bowe over Gonzalez

grebfan9
10-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Earnie Shavers landed a brutal uppercut on Jimmy Ellis
and that was that!!!

duffgun
10-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Earnie Shavers landed a brutal uppercut on Jimmy Ellis
and that was that!!!

ibeabuchi punch that ko byrd was good.

Jim Jeffries
10-19-2007, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=VERSATILE2K7;2623358]One of the hardest and underrated knockdowns Ive ever seen. You can even hear the thud of the shot.

Looks like Mike caught him off balance to me with a decent punch. Williams gets up and looks fine to me, rediculous stoppage.

The Iron Man
10-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Shavers Knockdown of Holmes!!
Tyson KO Michael Johnson!

metalinmybrain
10-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Ali was simply caught off guard and off balance. It was nothing fancy and not even a brutal knockdown for that matter. Ali wasn't damaged from that blow and Frazier couldn't even finish the job. Not only did Frazier get lucky with that shot but the next to fights proved how much Ali was better than Frazier and how much that punch was lucky!

metalinmybrain
10-28-2007, 12:52 AM
Tyson over Spinks
Foreman over Frazier
Bowe over Gonzalez

Panama City is such a beautiful city. Also Roberto Duran is such a bad ass boxer damn he was something else.

metalinmybrain
10-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Foreman - Frazier.
Tyson - Spinks.
I think Tyson's upper against Buster was amazingly strong (especially for that late in the fight, but it shows you how much Buster wanted to win that fight by getting up).

It was powerful, Douglas said he didn't even want to get up from that punch it hurt that bad, but it was his mother and her telling him to knock Tyson out that got him up.

Jim Jeffries
10-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Just had to share this with you if you never saw it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8QyaxvBCQ

Pretty damn good power for a Cruiserweight. I can see how Darnell Wilson has 19 KO's out of 22 wins.

Jim Jeffries
10-28-2007, 01:14 AM
when David Tua hit John Ruiz and put him to sleep in like what..19 seconds? you could hear the solid thuds as Ruiz slumped to the canvas

Tua's making a comeback, 3 wins this year, he's only 34, never been stopped, and only 3 losses to Ike, Byrd, and Lewis. Might still have something left in the tank.

grayfist
10-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Ernie Shavers dumps Jimmy Ellis in the first round with a single punch (an uppercut.)

click: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygN07tWdxpA

It may not be the biggest Heavyweight KO of all time, but it's something to watch.

Jim Jeffries
10-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Ernie Shavers dumps Jimmy Ellis in the first round with a single punch (an uppercut.)

click: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygN07tWdxpA

It may not be the biggest Heavyweight KO of all time, but it's something to watch.

Nice one. Funny how Ellis beat Jerry Quarry, Quarry KO's Shavers in the 1st round, but then Shavers KO's Ellis in the 1st round. Just goes to show, just because you can beat someone, doesn't mean you can beat everyone they've ever beat. Also Frasier beats Ali, Foreman destroys Frasier, then Ali comes back and KO's Foreman.

catskills23
10-29-2007, 12:26 PM
It was powerful, Douglas said he didn't even want to get up from that punch it hurt that bad, but it was his mother and her telling him to knock Tyson out that got him up.

where are you getting this crap from?. douglas said that the uppercut that knocked him was a glancing blow.

Jim Jeffries
10-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Henry Cooper's knockdown of Ali in their first fight. The one where Dundee ripped open Ali's glove to give him more time to recover.

Hawk O'Connor
10-29-2007, 10:13 PM
It's not really a one punch KO,it's a two left hook KO but I loved Marciano's knockout of Kid Matthews.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qujgVDSZwZI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qujgVDSZwZI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

grayfist
11-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Nice one. Funny how Ellis beat Jerry Quarry, Quarry KO's Shavers in the 1st round, but then Shavers KO's Ellis in the 1st round. Just goes to show, just because you can beat someone, doesn't mean you can beat everyone they've ever beat. Also Frasier beats Ali, Foreman destroys Frasier, then Ali comes back and KO's Foreman.Yeah....

I guess part of boxing's lure is that it does not always follow the "A beats B, B beats C, thus, A should beat C" progression.

Jim Jeffries
11-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah....

I guess part of boxing's lure is that it does not always follow the "A beats B, B beats C, thus, A should beat C" progression.

Thank God too, because we would miss out on many exciting fights, with the outcome being unkown.

grayfist
11-03-2007, 03:42 AM
Thank God too, because we would miss out on many exciting fights, with the outcome being unkown.
:)___________________

Panamaniac
11-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Panama City is such a beautiful city. Also Roberto Duran is such a bad ass boxer damn he was something else.You think? :)

Onlyme
11-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Doesnt Earnie Shavers hold the record for the hardest puncher in history?

Hawk O'Connor
11-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Doesnt Earnie Shavers hold the record for the hardest puncher in history?

I don't think something like that could actually be proven, however that is often surmised by lots of fans/historians/experts.

them_apples
11-04-2007, 11:40 PM
p4p shaver's is probably one of the hardest out there.

But I get the sneaking suspicion guys like Foreman, Tua, and Tyson probably all edged him out on power, but i'm only judging by knockout/video footage.

My only reason is guys could hang with Shaver's for quite a few rounds whilst taking a constant beating. Most of Foreman's fights that allowed him to hammer away on his opponent's were quit brutal/short (aside from Ali, who probably suffered internal injuries)

Tua had short arms and limited skill, so he was often played up by better fighter's. However, anyone that usually tried slugging it with him couldn't take the beating.

Tyson - lots of first round KO's and has taken fighters down with body shots, made them cry etc

The hardest knockout I have seen was probably the Tyson vs Williams I think it was (it made a lound sound in the video and he went flying to the other end of the ring)

Other notables are -

Mercer vs Morrison
Tua vs Ruiz
Foreman vs Frazier
any thing with Julian Jackson...

ROSS CALIFORNIA
11-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Without putting much thought into it, its a toss up between Shavers/Holmes and Tyson/Botha. Both were incredibly hard shots against guys that had decent chins.

Hawk O'Connor
11-05-2007, 01:06 AM
Without putting much thought into it, its a toss up between Shavers/Holmes and Tyson/Botha. Both were incredibly hard shots against guys that had decent chins.

I still think some of the hardest shots ever thrown inside a boxing ring were in the Louis/Schmeling II bout. Joe was on a mission and those shots he hit Max with were thrown with bad intentions and murderous power. He totally annihilated him.

ROSS CALIFORNIA
11-05-2007, 02:47 AM
I still think some of the hardest shots ever thrown inside a boxing ring were in the Louis/Schmeling II bout. Joe was on a mission and those shots he hit Max with were thrown with bad intentions and murderous power. He totally annihilated him.
That fight was amazing and the outcome was perfect for the circumstances surrounding it.

Hawk O'Connor
11-05-2007, 02:57 AM
That fight was amazing and the outcome was perfect for the circumstances surrounding it.

Agreed. 100%

Yaman
11-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Tyson over Spinks
Foreman over Frazier
Bowe over Gonzalez

Interesting choice for number 1 sir. I always included that one in the Top 10. Could you elaborate why you put it in there?
I think the power of that punch was incredible. It send Spinks flying into the ropes.

JC Warrior
11-07-2007, 01:04 AM
The hardest single shot I remember seeing was Tyson's right hand that crumbled Botha. I remember watching it with a couple guys from the gym and our coach saying after the first slow-mo replay saying "That's how I've been telling you guys to throw the right hand".

One of my favorites to start a sequence was Tua's lunging left hook on ruiz...the followup was kinda fun to watch a lot too :)

Jim Jeffries
11-07-2007, 01:30 AM
Tua vs Ruiz, 19 sec KO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AVh5TKS80M

Jim Jeffries
11-07-2007, 01:34 AM
Some nice Tua KO's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHf7b4_kMBY
Man, to see a prime Tyson vs prime Tua would have been a joy.