View Full Version : How would Edgar do in boxing?

Money Shot
10-10-2011, 05:38 PM
He is a boxer at heart I think, all his fights I've seen are him bobbing and weaving behind a guard and landing shots. I think he could be a force, Amir Khan watch out.

F l i c k e r
10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Horrible.

155? He'd be fighting Middleweights. Even if he cut weight at 140s. Guys will still be bigger than him. :lol1:

Money Shot
10-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Light middle probably (154 lbs) Cotto and Alvarez... I suspect these guys might be a bit hot for Edgar. He'd smoke some of the lesser guys tho.

HUGEBOXINGFAN
10-10-2011, 05:57 PM
He would get fuking killed.

K-Yo
10-10-2011, 06:55 PM
After watching Maynard land that uppercut on him in the first round and his reaction to it, I'm presuming he would probably not do too well, but hey the boxing/ mma cross sport performance debates are always fun :/

ƒallenloki
10-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Terrible.

154, he'd have to fight someone like Sexy Sergio? lmfao.

Even at 147 he'd be tiny.

GreatestIam
10-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Edgar is a MMAer period, he gets demolished by any top 25 JW-MW.... dat uppercut Maynard was hitiing him with was sick, however Ed does have a iron chin and heart... he'd be like a vinny Paz... minus da power...

D.C.
10-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Terribly, which is why he isn't a boxer. He doesn't commit to his jab, it's usually just thrown out there to keep his opponent back instead of setting any other punches up. He almost never moves his head, which is why Maynard was able to catch him so many times in the first round of their last two fights. He almost never plants his feet to throw real combinations; he rarely throws more than one or two punches in a row. That works if you're Mayweather, not so much when you're Frankie Edgar. He also tends to leave his hands down, especially his right. If he fought someone who knew how to jab and didn't back off of their left hook after the first round (Sup, Maynard?) he'd be in a lot of trouble.

He's quick and has better "boxing" than most MMA'ers, which makes up for a lot of his issues. It's hard to exploit someones holes when you're worse than they are.

I'd love to see him fight Melendez or Aldo.

New England
10-12-2011, 08:52 PM
if he just jumped into a 12 round fight i'd pick paulie maglinaggi to stop him

$BloodyNate$
10-13-2011, 04:50 PM
tOP 15 FIGHTER.

Marchegiano
10-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Dude, first thing is like god damned brain dead zombies. Most people today assume being good in MMA or boxing doesn't translate. So you get mostly closed minds on the subject. Most of y'all are too ****ing lazy to ever learn what LPRR was, and the evidence left by the bare-knucklers who participated. I'll just say this. The grappler vs the striker is ancient, but the proof of translation between sports lies in bare knuckle rules, the changes made to said rules, and individuals who participated at that time. For example. Bob Fitzsimmons fought both Marquee and Prize Rules. Normally speaking one might claim a boxing champion knows little to no roman-greco. Ah, but you fool, Bob defended takedowns, and roman-greco clinch work. Bob Fitzsimmon the boxing hw champion knew more about roman-greco wrestling then the present UFC Champ, and former UFC Champ. Would Bob out right destroy in the UFC? Hells yeah ***** look into his fights he's displayed the tools. With that said, any real MMA fan ought to look into bare-knuckle. Look into James Figg and follow the stories you like. You WILL find guys that posses all the skills like a demon. You WILL find transitionals whose dominance is not impeded by rule difference. You WILL find combatives who participated in rules way more open, and dangerous than MMA could ever be today. Don't just look at the different official rules but the special events and special rules. There is a serious flaw in the mind numbing "different sport different athletes" point of view. Learn your god damn history.

Frankie would get hit a lot, but that heart means a lot more then y'all seem to give him credit for. He's a bit reminiscent of ol' Rocco ain't he? The powers not there, be takes shots like a lion.