View Full Version : Best chin in Heavyweight ever.

Great
12-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Best chin in Heavyweight ever - ???

cple
12-26-2004, 04:08 PM
George Chuvalo and Tex Cobb could take a bat to the face with a smile.

Great
12-26-2004, 04:24 PM
I never saw Tex. But Chuvalo a good nominee.

Ivansmamma
12-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Alis chin is greeat as hell but he got knocked down a few times.

MGG
12-26-2004, 10:40 PM
From the seventies on, Foreman, Holy, Bowe, Khaosai Galaxi, Mc Call, Mc Callum, Toney, Holmes, Cesar Chavez, Ricardo Lopez, Hagler and Jorge Castro. Small list :)

KJ
12-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Ali got a great chin!

KJ
12-27-2004, 12:30 PM
From the seventies on, Foreman, Holy, Bowe, Khaosai Galaxi, Mc Call, Mc Callum, Toney, Holmes, Cesar Chavez, Ricardo Lopez, Hagler and Jorge Castro. Small list :)
Think some of those are not heavyweights. ;)

Xecutioner
12-27-2004, 01:05 PM
ali, i dont care what anyone else says. ali took punches and was able to continue to box. im sure there were better human punching bags in history but the fact that he took huge punches and at least finished fights throughout his prime makes him my top heavyweight chin

Mr. Ryan
12-27-2004, 03:57 PM
George Foreman's chin was many times better than Ali's. I would go with Texx Cobb and Oliver McCall as far as best chins in heavyweight history.

Chups
12-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Chuvalo........never been down

miron_lang
12-28-2004, 02:24 AM
Muhammad Ali :)

hambone
12-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Both Frazier and ali had great chins. The chin wasn't even a factor in those days because they all had one.

Soundtraveler
12-29-2004, 12:58 PM
I would have to put Ali and Foreman as 1 and 2 respectively, with honorable mentions to Frazier, Cobb, and Holyfield....

Soundtraveler
12-29-2004, 01:00 PM
In my opinion the big factor is not only how well you can take a punch, but rather how quickly you can "recover" from a punch, in that regard, I would have to say Ali and Holyfield are at the top...

M26
12-29-2004, 01:59 PM
1. George Chuvalo
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Rocky Marciano

Sidestep_1
01-02-2005, 10:42 AM
IŽd say Ali, although George Chuvalo, the older Foreman and David Tua also have / had great chins.

tikal
01-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Best chins of all time
1.Ali
2.Marcianno/Foreman
4.Holyfield

89.Roy Jones
90.Wlad Kliskscho

leff
01-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Marciano Foreman Frazier Ali and Holyfield all hed great chins.

Floydmayweather
01-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Ali had the best chin. He fought big punchers and even when he was knocked down like against Frasier he poped right back up.

Clay AikSkins
01-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Ali had the best chin. He fought big punchers and even when he was knocked down like against Frasier he poped right back up.
I second that...Ali.:)

Kimmy
01-03-2005, 09:52 PM
You have to compare the chin to the quality of punchers they fought. Ali survived punches from Frazier, Foreman, Lyle, Shavers, Liston and Williams, all noted punchers.
Foreman took the best from Lyle, Frazier and later on Holyfield and Tommy Morrison. I don`t think Foreman ever fought a bigger puncher as himself and Lyle knocked him down a few times in their fight.
Frazier didn`t have the greatest chin, not close. Foreman bouncing him off the canvas has to be realized and did Frazier fight any great punchers apart from Foreman? Not really!
Holyfield took shots from Bowe, an old Foreman, Moorer, Tyson, and Lennox Lewis. Only Bowe knocked him down out of those fighters and Bert Cooper did in Atlanta. I think Holyfield should be included yes.
But i think Oliver McCall should be mentioned, i don`t think he has been wobbled yet and of course David Tua. Lewis and Ike Ibuechie were huge punchers and for 12 rds respectively they couldn`t budge Tua, like McCall no one has ever moved Tua with a punch. So the greatest heavyweight chin should belong to either of these two guys.

Rocket Launchers
01-05-2005, 08:36 AM
You have to compare the chin to the quality of punchers they fought. Ali survived punches from Frazier, Foreman, Lyle, Shavers, Liston and Williams, all noted punchers.
Foreman took the best from Lyle, Frazier and later on Holyfield and Tommy Morrison. I don`t think Foreman ever fought a bigger puncher as himself and Lyle knocked him down a few times in their fight.
Frazier didn`t have the greatest chin, not close. Foreman bouncing him off the canvas has to be realized and did Frazier fight any great punchers apart from Foreman? Not really!
Holyfield took shots from Bowe, an old Foreman, Moorer, Tyson, and Lennox Lewis. Only Bowe knocked him down out of those fighters and Bert Cooper did in Atlanta. I think Holyfield should be included yes.
But i think Oliver McCall should be mentioned, i don`t think he has been wobbled yet and of course David Tua. Lewis and Ike Ibuechie were huge punchers and for 12 rds respectively they couldn`t budge Tua, like McCall no one has ever moved Tua with a punch. So the greatest heavyweight chin should belong to either of these two guys.

I agree, of the modern heavyweights McCall and Tua are standouts.
Altough Tua was knocked out in the amateurs.

stix
01-06-2005, 02:15 AM
:D Lotta great choices out there, but, for the best chin of all time, I'd be goin' back to the barenuckle days; to someone like John L. Sullivan. Boxing's been around an awful long time, and there's been some hellacious 100 round granite chins. :D

stix
01-06-2005, 04:43 AM
Hey Top Rank; how about giving me a reason why your giving me bad karma?

stix
01-06-2005, 08:16 AM
I reckon I can live with a little bar of red instead of a little bar of blue.

buff_mike10
01-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Rocky Marciano. Never lost a fight. Isn't it better to win the title and keep it, rather than to lose it twice and win it back?

stix
01-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Rocky Marciano. Never lost a fight. Isn't it better to win the title and keep it, rather than to lose it twice and win it back?
:D HELL YEAH! It's way better to win the title and keep it. Rocky Marciano was tough as nails. Good Choice! :D

julDilla
01-09-2005, 07:02 AM
Hey Top Rank; how about giving me a reason why your giving me bad karma?

dont know when was this?......

onikami
01-09-2005, 07:35 AM
In light of recent events, its gotta be Williams.

leff
01-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Its close beetwen Ali and Marciano cant be sure who has the best but its definitly one of them.

Sidestep_1
01-09-2005, 08:56 PM
In light of recent events, its gotta be Williams.

What for :confused: ? Vitali has no one punch KO-power, and Williams was also KOed by average puncher Sam.

zoo
01-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Chuvalo........never been down

I agree, he was one tough son of a *****.

JOM'S
01-10-2005, 11:12 AM
George Chuvalo and Tex Cobb could take a bat to the face with a smile.

did tex cobb fought holmes, i remember when i was a kid this guy his white, took all the punches that holmes can thorw, he had no prayer to win the fight but he also wont go down, i think he never got hurt during that fight ...

stix
01-11-2005, 07:52 AM
dont know when was this?......
It was on 1~06~2005. The bad karma was on post #23 of this thread, on the comment I made about John L. Sullivan. According to the control panel, I'm now the proud owner of minus 2,623,446 reputation points. Ain't that a *****. :rolleyes: Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I think I'll go out and eat worms. :D

stix
01-11-2005, 08:18 AM
did tex cobb fought holmes, i remember when i was a kid this guy his white, took all the punches that holmes can thorw, he had no prayer to win the fight but he also wont go down, i think he never got hurt during that fight ...
Larry Holmes fought Randall Tex Cobb on 11~26~1982. Larry kicked his ass for 15 rounds. Cobb was a tough son of a *****.

average_expert
01-13-2005, 05:23 AM
I agree, of the modern heavyweights McCall and Tua are standouts.
Altough Tua was knocked out in the amateurs.

mmm interesting got any more details on the tua knockout?

jayrichardse
01-30-2005, 11:56 PM
ali had the best chin ever

ghostdancer
02-03-2005, 02:08 PM
ali had his jaw broke twice if my memories right that takes some doing and still finish the fight

buff_mike10
02-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Marciano had the best chin as i said before, but i'm suprised nobody mentioned Chuck Wepner. Remember what Ali put him through and he kept coming, the Rocky movies were based on him, he was the real life Rocky Balboa

Imira
02-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Anybody who fights with a broken jaw is either insane or a damn freak of nature. Ali.

adeelr
02-15-2005, 02:09 AM
George chuvalo had a great chin, but i have to agree with the most ppl, Ali had the greatest chin, he fought 15 rounds with a broken jaw and at an age way past his prime, he took hammering shots from foreman and didn't stagger for a second...So Ali's chin was proven against all tests....

Neuraxis
02-15-2005, 03:37 AM
How about Mercer.

Kid Achilles
02-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Fighting through a broken jaw proves that you are mentally as tough as nails, but not that you neccesarily have the best chin. Ali had a very good chin but what was truly phenomenal was his recovery and its part of the reason (his great reflexes and mobility being the other) that I think he was as close to knockout proof as they come.

Don't forget, he had been dropped and hurt several times throughout his career. I'd say his chin was as good but no better than Holmes' or Marciano's.

I'd put my money on Cobb. Earnie Shavers (thought by many experts to be THE hardest hitting heavyweight puncher of all time) threw everything he had at Cobb, who had a terrible defense, and only managed to damage his hands in the process.

Ali looked like he took a lot of damage against Foreman but most of those shots weren't clean. The ones Shavers landed on Cobb were.

Dynamite76
02-23-2005, 03:12 AM
Mitch "blood" Green

lmnorw
02-26-2005, 12:48 PM
ali didnt have a better chin than chuvalo nobody did.ali was never caught by a even decent punch to the chin by foreman but yet he claimed to be out on his feet 3 or 4 times..chuvalo tooked foremans best punches and never went down.he took fraziers best and never went down.quarrys best ect ect ect.the man never went down.ali did so his chin is still great but not the greatest.same with foremans and a bunch of other fighters you could name

wmute
02-26-2005, 04:51 PM
ali was never caught by a even decent punch to the chin by foreman but yet he claimed to be out on his feet 3 or 4 times..

round 6 right uppercut.... ali laying on the ropes, but ropes don't help much against an uppercut...just look at his face

lmnorw
02-27-2005, 05:11 PM
foreman was dead tired by the 6th round and you know this and i know this and who ever watched the fight knows this..but chuvalo was bombed on the whole fight and never got knocked down and chuvalo had limited skills so he was hit by everybody alot of times so his body broke down quicker than ali did probably and yet he still never went down.very few fighters could be hit by a prime foreman frazier and quarry over and over and over and not be dropped..the man was damn tough and had the greatest chin in heavyweight history

chicagofan
02-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Lousey fighter but great chin, Tex Cobb of course. Didn't Ali fight a title fight with a broken jaw from yhe 2nd round on?

hellfire508
03-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Ali, Chuvalo, Foreman...it's hard to put them in any order.

lmnorw
03-08-2005, 08:45 PM
why do people like that moron keep comparing marcianos chin with real all time greats chins?he never people who could hit like foreman shavers cooney frazier tyson ect ect ect.any of those guys would of murdered him.and cobb had a good chin but besides shavers who hit him hard?and by the way shavers in no way hits harder than foreman.i think ali would know more about that than you or I..seeing that fact he faced both and shavers landed punch after punch against a washed up ali and foreman only landed glancing blows against a younger better ali and said foreman hits alot harder..hmmm foremans glancing punchers hurts alot more than shavers bombs..whats does that say about foremans power?and chuvalo was hit by at least 20 punches in a row by foreman and never went down.so chuvalo has the best chin period.but if you are going to go for the best chin of any guy who was knocked down then it would have to be foreman.foreman went down 2 times to lyle in the same round but besides lyle who else hurt foreman?he was hit by 25 straight punches by a young 28 year old undefeated holyfield and just pushed him away.can you imagine any other fighter getting pounded with 25 unanswered punchers by that holyfield and not at least going down?tyson went down on fall less and was fighting a shot holyfield..holyfield downed bowe with one punch in their 3rd fight..he basically made lewis run like a girl their 2 fights..a eroded holyfield knocked down the strong chin mercer with one punch in their fights but he couldnt hurt a old foreman..i rest my case..ali chin isnt as good as foremans.and why do some people list mccall?who was he ever hit by?wow he sparred with tyson and never went down and?they wear headgears in sparring..and not to bash tyson but i will have to bring up foreman again foreman at 42 hurt holyfields with jabs and tyson couldnt even hurt holyfield power shots..you know how tyson knocked you out?from fear..most of the people he fought believed the media hype..once people stop falling for that tyson began to get his azz kicked..his punch is hard but not as hard as people make out.when mccall fights a big puncher and gets tagged and walks through it then you can say he has a great chin until then you dont know

kapersky
03-10-2005, 01:11 AM
muhammed ali no doubt, he took frazies hardest left hook and went up

tommo
03-10-2005, 02:07 AM
Chuvalo definately and i think david tua is up there somewhere

Sinatra.Jr
03-12-2005, 12:59 PM
I recommend All. Indeed he downed several times .But not knocked out.
All took a strong brow several times, from Fraizer ,Norton,Foreman etc.
But always stood and fought by strongest heart.
His tin was so strong I guess.

Natty Dread
03-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Muhammad Ali

Prospekt
03-16-2005, 09:20 AM
I would have to say the best chin would have to go to Rocky Marciano until his tragic plane crash RIP. He had never been knocked out and he punched with the force of a train.

paul750
03-19-2005, 04:06 PM
theres a few, but the one that stands out for me is oliver McCall

Rockin'
03-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Easily I would say Randal "Tex" Cobb. That man could not fight on the world class scale yet with his power, will and chin helped him survive against some of the top men in the world.

It was one of the first fights that I watched but it is still very memorable today.

Tex cobb vs. Larry Holmes for the w.b.c gheavyweight title. Holmes smashing his jab at will into cobbs face, dropping the right hands and anything else that he wanted to at will. Cobb had no defense to speak of. Some of the other men that have been mentioned in this thread had some good skills to help keep them on their feet. Cobb had nothing but his great chin to keep him up.

He would lose a fight by ko to a guy named Dee Collier, I am not certain of the circumstances in the fight but I would still say that Cobb had one of the better chins in the heavyweight division. The man could take a shot and then take 20 more just like 'em and still be on his feet..........Rockin'

NiGe2011
03-26-2005, 02:59 AM
Michael Grant

hellfire508
03-26-2005, 03:23 AM
My man muhammad ali had the best chin in boxing history, period.

kapersky
03-26-2005, 04:13 AM
Michael Grant

why do u think he got the best chin ever? just curios ;)

thekid
03-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Ali; Chuvalo; Tua and Marciano end of story....

.::EnRiQuE::.
03-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Michael Grant
:D yea right. dat **** is hilarious.

RwK
03-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Ali; Chuvalo; Tua and Marciano end of story....

I suppose Oliver McCall deserves no mention? Tua has been knocked down before...by Rahman. Oliver McCall has never been.

paul750
03-26-2005, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=Runw/knives] Tua has been knocked down before...by Rahman. Yes i heard that, but i've not seen the fight,i heard it was after the bell at the very end of the fight and it didn't count

korea insincere
03-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Larry Holmes, no doubt. The bomb from Shavers should have made him unconscious yet he got up and won the fight. Incredible.

TonyBanana
03-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Larry Holmes?? Can you back that up with another fight?

The Troll
03-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Balboa

http://rockybalboa.altervista.org/Rocky%20IV/Rocky%20IV.jpg

tommyhearns804
04-01-2005, 10:40 AM
why is marciano even ranked?he was knocked down 2 times in his career to guys who were natural middleweights.ali chin was good but he was hurt and wobbled tons of times.foremans chin was a lot better that ali's the only person who put foreman down really was ron lyle.he fought 30 plus fights after the age of 38 and never went down but yet his chin still wasnt the best.chuvalo never went down period and he fought foreman ali twice frazier quarry ect ect ect.the man was tough as hell

Kimmy
04-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Oliver McCall has maybe the best chin ever. I don`t recall him ever been wobbled let alone knocked down!!!

Warden11
04-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Rocky Marciano

Moon
04-01-2005, 04:14 PM
No contest ..... Randall Coob. Fifteen rounds of Prime Holmes smackin' the guy on the chin and he stayed upright.

EvilMark
04-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Muhammad ali :boxing:

The Troll
04-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Chuck Wepner had one hell of a chin whoever mentioned him, but Ali was not a huge puncher, but that fight was just like Balboa vs. Creed Ali was just landed really quick 1 2's on him round after round and he kept coming forward, but I dont think he made it the distance, the fight was stopped on a cut or something.

tysonortiz
04-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Tyson, for sure.

tysonortiz
04-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Non heavyweight, mickey ward has a hell of a chin.

legend
04-20-2005, 07:10 PM
I would have to say Ali. His chin has always been extremely underrated. The left hook he took against Frazier and then got right back up still flat out amazes me. That punch would have knocked out almost any fighter in history.

partee
04-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Ali's an easy choice, but what about Larry Holmes in the alltime list? He survived a big bomb of Earnie Shavers, one of the hardest hitters ever (so did Ali)

franker01
04-21-2005, 10:53 PM
For great One-Night-Chins I have to go with Scott LeDoux who was virtually punched senseless by Ken Norton for 9 rounds and came back to almost knock Norton out in the 10th (could have been the 12th, can't remember).

I know this isn't a HW but Matthew Franklin took a severe beating from Yaqui "Punching Machine" Lopez and came back to win by KO. Great fight!]

joeboxer
04-21-2005, 10:56 PM
Joe Mesi is the man. That man has a crazy good chin that could break Rocks!

Natty Dread
04-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Muhammad Ali

Cambria
04-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Marciano
Dempsey

The End
04-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Chuvalo. This guy can take a massive amount of punishment

BrazJJ
04-27-2005, 02:52 PM
But I, personally, have never seen a TOUGHER heavyweight than "Tex" Cobb. This guy took massive amounts of punishment without going down.

BrazJJ
04-27-2005, 03:04 PM
I picked "Tex" Cobb. Mercer is definitely the only fighter (in any weight class) that I remember who was so willing to stand right in front of his opponent and trade with them....without trying to block their punches. He simply took 'em right on the face and threw back. He was tough, too!

tommyhearns804
04-29-2005, 09:43 PM
lol maricano and dempsey?yeah i guess that is why dempsey was knocked out in the first round and maricano was down 2 times on one punch by guys who began their careers as middleweights.and mercer was knocked down by holyfield .the same holyfield who couldnt knock down a old foreman so formean has a better chin than mercer and foreman doenst have the best chin chuvalo does

Cambria
04-30-2005, 01:54 AM
The ability to be able to get up after the punch is how I judge a man on how he can take a punch. Marciano, only undefeated Heavyweight champ, ever. Nuff said on that.

List another heavyweight to fight with a broken jaw and win. That takes balls. Jack Dempsey.

BReal72
04-30-2005, 07:07 AM
Muhammad Ali, Oliver McCall and Evander Holyfield have excellent punch resistance.

Illusion_R
05-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Chuvalo and Randal Tex Cobb. The interview on the tonight show with Cob after his fight with Holmes was funny. He said if the fight had of gone into the the sixteenth or seventeenth round he would have won cause he felt Homes woulda got tired of hitting him by then. lol

BRONXBULL
05-31-2005, 01:54 AM
how can you say ali over marciano. marciano has the best chin for a heavyweight ever. the best chin for a boxer ever was jake "raging bull" lamotta

wmute
05-31-2005, 02:08 AM
george chuvalo

Shaolin Bushido
05-31-2005, 02:12 AM
george chuvalo

I'll buy that. I have some buds who also swear by Oliver McCall but I just think he's ****in crazy. Not bashin but ... if you saw him lose to Lennox, you understand.

AIR_KENG
05-31-2005, 02:45 AM
roy jones... hehe...

Shaolin Bushido
05-31-2005, 03:07 AM
roy jones... hehe...

STOP IT ... just stop it!*continues to blubber like a Nancy*

czars_salad
05-31-2005, 04:26 AM
it has to be ali
he fought the heaviest punchers during his time
went down only once and that was against frazier, but went up as soon as he went down

guardian
05-31-2005, 05:51 AM
it has to be ali
he fought the heaviest punchers during his time
went down only once and that was against frazier, but went up as soon as he went down
I think so too... He's the greatest!!!

Imira
05-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Williams? Don't think so. Joe Grim had the best chin in boxing history. only got KOd one time in his entire career. Tis too bad that he couldn't win against real fighters. :D

Kid Achilles
05-31-2005, 07:32 PM
Ali was actually down several times during his career. His chin was very good but not on the level of Cobb or Chuvalo.

30stonegorilla
06-01-2005, 05:07 PM
George Foreman's chin was many times better than Ali's.

That's quite a statement. What are you basing it on? Common opponent---Ron Lyle. Lemme see, George went down how many times? How many times did Ali go down against Lyle? Common opponent-Jimmy Young. Ali went down how many times against the light hitting Young? He didn't. George was knocked down by Young. And then it was the head to head meeting in Zaire. George hit the canvas last time I checked. He was a fearsome punching machine then, considered unbeatable having knocked out both of the men who had beaten Ali, Frazier and Norton, and he knocked them out with ease.

I would go with Texx Cobb and Oliver McCall as far as best chins in heavyweight history.

Chuvalo had a better chin than both. Jeffries had a tremendous set of whiskers. Cobb was knocked down a number of times late in his career. I'll give you a pass on McCall. Not worth arguing about. Tua also has a great chin.

Cambria
06-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Its close beetwen Ali and Marciano cant be sure who has the best but its definitly one of them.

I agree.

Jack Dempsey also

Rocky_Balboa
06-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Tiger force by a long road.

Rocky_Balboa
06-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Sorry for double post but i meant Tiger force.

cornerman
06-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Chuvalo, to quote a Muhammed Ali documentary that i've got "Chuvalo could probably go 15 rounds with a tank".

Sir Fancylot
06-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Ali/Chuvalo

wild allison
06-08-2005, 04:57 AM
25 rounds of severe beating by Jack Johnson before scoring a 26th round K.O. win (pardon my English); got his jaw and 3 rips broken against Jack Dempsey in the first round (did I forget Willards 3 teeth hit away and his closed eye) and fought on for 2 more rounds.

TheEvilSaint
06-08-2005, 02:02 PM
rocky marciano had the best chin in ANY division. only knocked down twice, never stopped, and only showed that he was hurt against walcott and charles.

dizzy
06-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Foreman and Ali.

Kid Achilles
06-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Willard is another good one. Ali and Foreman were both dropped and hurt several times throughout their career, some of those times by not so great punchers. Yeah they had good chins, but nothing like Chuvalo, Cobb, McCall or willard.

SonnyG8R
06-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Ali had the best chin.

sanjayint
06-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Vitali Klitscho has a strong chin, dr iron chin aint it ??

ricecrispi
06-09-2005, 05:22 PM
no specfic order Evander, frazier, Marciano, ALi, McCall.

Has to be a better difinition from having a good jaw and heart and courage.
Willard took the worst beating ever because of no neutral corner rule. He was definitely tough and had plenty of heart. Dempsey has been considered a hard punching Heavy Champ, but was only 187 pounds vs 250 pund Willard. Plus, he went down just on a single punch so definately not the best jaw.

I dont agree on the fact you have a good jaw if you get up after a knock down. How many times Tito Trindad get up after getting whacked. Joe Grimm was counted out once in his career. He had like a -0-65-2 record. He weighed 165 vs 210lb Jack Johnson before Johnson was champ. Grimm got knocked down more than dozen times in that fight but never knocked out. How do you score a fight like that?

HolyField
Anyone see the bomb Holyfield ate against Bowe. He went down only once in the whole series! A great trilogy I think that most have forgotten about.

Marciano just for the amount of punishment he took. He did go down twice but does shots were on the button and when he was off balanced. You ever seen a pic where his nose was split in half...

McCall, the guy never seemed to get hurt at all. I think he has the best jaw out of all these guys or maybe cuz he was just crazy.

Ali had a great jaw, tough, and determined. Broke his jaw rd 1 against norton and went the distance. Foreman never hit Ali clean to the head but the body shots had to smart too.

Frazier Only time he went down was against Foreman after several BOMBS landed.
Chuvalo has tough but he went down in the 15th rd w/ Ali. Frazier never went down against Ali in 3 wars. Who you think Ali tried to hurt more, Chuvalo or Frazier?

Edit: I got to add Ray Mercer. Writing this makes me realize how low heavyweight boxing has sunk.

Kid Achilles
06-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Ali was hurt and stunned on numerous ocassions and knocked down a handful of times during his career. You can say the same with Foreman. Oliver McCall and George Chuvalo weren't, despite both having a worse defense than Ali and inferior offensive capability (to keep opponents away) than Foreman. Both of these men clearly had a better chin than either Ali or Foreman.

It really isn't a difficult question. Reasonable answers include Chuvalo and McCall. Or, if you can name another heavyweight who was never knocked down in his entire career despite facing huge punchers, he would belong here too.

Ali and Foreman, while very tough, do not belong here. Neither does Holyfield. Max Baer, Rocky Marciano, and Jim Jeffries had chins just as good as Ali, Holyfield or Foreman but the subject of the thread was not "who are some heavyweights with really good chins", it was "Best chin in Heavyweight ever".

ricecrispi
06-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Didn't Chuvalo get knocked down by Quarry and foreman also knocked him down too!

If this is about the best then McCall has to get the nod.

SonnyG8R
06-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Ali was hurt and stunned on numerous ocassions and knocked down a handful of times during his career. You can say the same with Foreman. Oliver McCall and George Chuvalo weren't, despite both having a worse defense than Ali and inferior offensive capability (to keep opponents away) than Foreman. Both of these men clearly had a better chin than either Ali or Foreman.

It really isn't a difficult question. Reasonable answers include Chuvalo and McCall. Or, if you can name another heavyweight who was never knocked down in his entire career despite facing huge punchers, he would belong here too.

Ali and Foreman, while very tough, do not belong here. Neither does Holyfield. Max Baer, Rocky Marciano, and Jim Jeffries had chins just as good as Ali, Holyfield or Foreman but the subject of the thread was not "who are some heavyweights with really good chins", it was "Best chin in Heavyweight ever".

Hey kid ******ass, Go **** yourself assneck. Ricecrspi made some good points. Far better than yours frankly. You can take your "my opinion is right and anyone who doesn't agree is a moron" attitude and shove it.

Kid Achilles
06-09-2005, 08:27 PM
It's funny how people who have nothing worthwhile to contribute have to resort to personal insults. Is it intentional, or do you just slip into beserker mode through instinct when people don't listen to you? Explain to me again how Ali, who was in serious trouble of getting KO'ed by Henry Cooper and dazed and knocked down on several other ocassions, has a better chin than McCall or Chuvalo who were rarely staggered let alone knocked down in their careers? Because you said so? Maybe for you that holds water but then again you are also the one harrassing a handicapped single parent. Santino I am done arguing with you. People who don't know how to treat others with respect don't deserve it themselves.

ricecrispi,

Neither Foreman nor Quarry knocked Chuvalo down. You do make some good points for possible contenders for the best chin but McCall and Chuvalo were never down in their careers while those other guys were, so it is difficult to make an arguement for putting them above either Oliver or George.

It would be one thing if Chuvalo and McCall never faced any dangerous punchers, or if each had a superb defense, but the truth is that neither guy was a good defensive boxer and both fought a few huge punchers in their day.

sonofisis
06-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Sugar Ray Robinson had the best chin of all time...

ricecrispi
06-10-2005, 06:09 PM
I agree on your choices in Chuvalo and McCall.

Your like that reasoning. Bad defense equals getting hit more. If you get hit more and don't go down = good chin. I agree, Ali, Frazier, Vander were tough but not the best.

Lets reconsider Chuvalo.
I know for sure Chuvalo was never knocked out, and considered to be the toughest chin in the Heavys in the 60's and 70's but I pretty sure he was hurt plenty of times. Thats why he was stopped against Frazier and Foreman knocked him ACROSS the entire ring and then stopped him(he never hit the matt though cuz he got saved by ropes). He was definiately hurt many times with Quarry (never dropped again, my mistake) and Chuvalo still won the fight. He's never be knocked out but still he's been hurt so bad he couldn't continue.

McCALL on the other hand, you ever seen his two fights with Lewis you know that guy was not right in the head. That guy was never hurt, never down, never TKO'ed.

madmadworld
06-10-2005, 07:38 PM
McCALL
very tuff
how about mr. forman ?
he did go down but still some of his fights he took some really hard shots.
and a guy named shavers ??

Kid Achilles
06-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Foreman was very tough indeed but Shaver's chin was about as weak as his punch was strong. He was stopped in a single round by Jerry Quarry who could punch but was no George Foreman. I'm pretty sure even Ron Stander knocked him out...

While we're on the subject of great chins, Tex Cobb weathered EVERYTHING Shavers threw at him. In fact, Shavers injured his hands on Tex's concrete block of a head. Un****ingbelievable. Tex on his best nights was nigh unstoppable but he does have that random knockout loss that forces me to put him below McCall and Chuvalo. I think it may have been all that coke finally catching up to him.

SonnyG8R
06-11-2005, 04:35 PM
I agree on your choices in Chuvalo and McCall.

Your like that reasoning. Bad defense equals getting hit more. If you get hit more and don't go down = good chin. I agree, Ali, Frazier, Vander were tough but not the best.

Lets reconsider Chuvalo.
I know for sure Chuvalo was never knocked out, and considered to be the toughest chin in the Heavys in the 60's and 70's but I pretty sure he was hurt plenty of times. Thats why he was stopped against Frazier and Foreman knocked him ACROSS the entire ring and then stopped him(he never hit the matt though cuz he got saved by ropes). He was definiately hurt many times with Quarry (never dropped again, my mistake) and Chuvalo still won the fight. He's never be knocked out but still he's been hurt so bad he couldn't continue.

McCALL on the other hand, you ever seen his two fights with Lewis you know that guy was not right in the head. That guy was never hurt, never down, never TKO'ed.

Good points. Kid Achilles tries to make it sound like Chuvalo was never hurt. Saying he was never knocked down is stupid because he was saved from a brutal beating by the ref in both the Frazier and Foreman fights. Ali withstood far worse punishment from both men and continued fighting.

Kid Achilles
06-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Ali took some punishment from Foreman and Frazier, and took it well, but he was not the wide open target that Chuvalo was. Anyone who says Ali took the best Foreman had to offer was not watching that fight with a careful eye. Foreman landed a lot of wicked shots- to Ali's body and arms! Very few of those punches landed clean like they did on Chuvalo.

Throughout his career, Chuvalo absorbed much more punishment than Ali. This is because even at his very slowest, Ali was a better defensive fighter than George, and yet he was still dropped several times. The only one I would call a flash knockdown was against Wepner.

And it wasn't as if Ali was only knocked down by huge punchers. Getting floored by Sonny Banks and Henry Cooper (who Ali was in very real danger of suffering a KO loss to if not for Angelo Dundee's quick thinking), neither of whom were all time great punchers, should immediately disqualify Ali as a possible candidate for the title of best chin.

ricecrispi
06-12-2005, 03:11 AM
I don't care about the commits. He's got his opinion and I got mine opinion and he makes a very good point.

Chuvalo is one tough SOB. Chuvalo was clocked clean and no man could take those shots. In the Foreman fight, when Ali got hit he had to change his strategy. He knew he was in deep water and even told his corner Foreman was too strong and he didn't know what to do. He had to go to war and quit the dancing and prancing. Ali was smart and covered up otherwise he would met the same fate.

What about David Tua. Had Tua ever been knocked out or down or hurt? I think we make a bigger deal out of Tua man. I don't follow up on him.

SonnyG8R
06-12-2005, 03:46 PM
I don't care about the commits. He's got his opinion and I got mine opinion and he makes a very good point.

Chuvalo is one tough SOB. Chuvalo was clocked clean and no man could take those shots. In the Foreman fight, when Ali got hit he had to change his strategy. He knew he was in deep water and even told his corner Foreman was too strong and he didn't know what to do. He had to go to war and quit the dancing and prancing. Ali was smart and covered up otherwise he would met the same fate.

What about David Tua. Had Tua ever been knocked out or down or hurt? I think we make a bigger deal out of Tua man. I don't follow up on him.

There called comments not "commits". And I hope you don't get the impression that I am trying to ride your jock or something. You simply made a point I was going to make but rather than restate the same thing I commented on your quote. I also approved of what you wrote in the "George Foreman, the Man who made the man" thread. But don't worry I won't "commit" on it.

The bottom line is that we don't know who had the greatest chin of all time and there is no way to know for certain. We all have our opinions and debating them is what makes these boards fun.

I think kid achilles has a pretty decent store of boxing knowledge. I took his side in a debate regarding Rocky Marciano. My only issue with him is that he seems to think that his opinions are hard facts that cannot be debated. Jose has that same problem. If he would get off his high horse I wouldn't have any beef whatsoever.

Ali fought the greatest opposition of any man in history in my opinion. He may have been down but he was never ktfo and he never had to be saved by the ref except for against larry holmes when he was well past his prime. Being down and coming back to win is indeed a sign of a great chin in my opinion.

If you disagree with me that's fine but show some respect and don't act like a know-it-all whose opinion can never be questioned.

Kid Achilles
06-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Rereading some of my posts, I can see that the attitude I took with you was inappropriate. I usually try to remain open-minded to all reasonable opinions (obvious exceptions being that the other guy is obviously trolling or has just insulted me), but I must admit that my attitude was partially due to your behavior in another thread which is not even perinent to the topic at hand, or really much of my business.

I still disagree with you about this silly chin argument, but I apologize for the tone I took in arguing with you.

ricecrispi
06-12-2005, 07:10 PM
I would like to "commit", ahem, comment on that. I got bad fingers so excuse the typing. I like when people express thmeselves because these what these are for. It's all words and opinions, but I know a lot of people online would get their panties in a wad.

I think Ali was tough and determined. His knockdowns are because of Ali being off balance or getting hit by the right punch at the right time. Definitely a great chin but not the best since he did get rocked man times. Ali is easily the most determined champ that's why I think he got up and how he could take so much punishment.

Back to David Tua. My friend said the guy has never been knock down in his memory and possibly not even hurt. I think everyone forgot anout Tua because he's disappeared from the scene. The guy could be champ, all he has to do is fight Ruiz again.

thatruth830
06-13-2005, 11:24 AM
marciano's opponets could never compare to ali's am i right?

thatruth830
06-13-2005, 11:50 AM
cambria theres a bunch of fighters who could of went undefeated in marciano and dempsey's time tyson, ali, holmes, frazier, liston, foreman, holy and louis. Lets be serious u cant nominate them for best HW chin ever. who have they been hit by? and think if that person can hit like some of the guys i just listed......... i came up wit no one but im sure you'll give me an answer right?

p.s. the rock got knocked out by someone who cant compare to a tyson or a foreman punch

dmar
06-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Best chin in Heavyweight ever - ???
a hard 1.marciano chuvalo tommy gibbons are a few that come to mind ...fast

Imira
06-28-2005, 02:50 AM
:D Joe Grimm. Nobody could KO that fool! :D (I know, he got KOd 3 times when he was past his prime, but his chin was his only claim to fame)
Chuvalo and Ali get a nod from me.

abright1
07-03-2005, 12:55 AM
Can't believe nobody here's mentioned Ray Mercer.

He and George Chuvalo deserve special mention in this department, but Ray a hell of a better all-round package.

mosley
07-05-2005, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE="Chups"]Chuvalo........never been down[/QUOTE

I have to agree.

Pugnacious_Z
07-05-2005, 09:22 PM
as for david tua, he got knocked the **** out in amatuer by a cuban boxer. i got the fight, tua gets knocked in first 30sec by a right. tua tries to get up and stumbles

Yogi
07-07-2005, 08:41 AM
as for david tua, he got knocked the **** out in amatuer by a cuban boxer. i got the fight, tua gets knocked in first 30sec by a right. tua tries to get up and stumbles

Lol!

Seeing as you're going to hold a young and experienced kid's amateur losses against him (which was against a much more seasoned and ****ing great, Felix Savon), I suppose it's only fair to mention this fight, which took place on Dec. 12th, 1982 at the US Amateur Championship in Indianapolis;

Al Evans TKO-3 Mike Tyson

tommyhearns804
07-07-2005, 06:35 PM
If you are going to use Tua being knocked out as a amatuer then Marciano was knocked out as a amatuer by Corley Wallace.If Marciano would of fought the Tua's Foreman's Bowe's Tyson's ect ect ect he would of been knocked out tons of times he was just lucky he could get away fighter 180 pound bums.But anyway Joe Grim was knocked down tons of times he just kept getting and actually he was knocked out a few times in his prime.I was reading some article about him.He just claimed he never was knocked out.As i said and i will say again to have a great chin you need to fight big time punches and be able to walk through their punches.You can go down a few times in your career but the people who drop you have to be vicious punches.That being said Ali is gone already.He was almost knocked out by Henry Cooper a man much smaller than he was.Tyson is out because he was ko'd by Douglas.Foreman was stopped because of fatigue so he could be on your list.Hagler has to be on your list.Chuvalo has to be on your list.

hellfire508
07-07-2005, 10:39 PM
If you are going to use Tua being knocked out as a amatuer then Marciano was knocked out as a amatuer by Corley Wallace.If Marciano would of fought the Tua's Foreman's Bowe's Tyson's ect ect ect he would of been knocked out tons of times he was just lucky he could get away fighter 180 pound bums.But anyway Joe Grim was knocked down tons of times he just kept getting and actually he was knocked out a few times in his prime.I was reading some article about him.He just claimed he never was knocked out.As i said and i will say again to have a great chin you need to fight big time punches and be able to walk through their punches.You can go down a few times in your career but the people who drop you have to be vicious punches.That being said Ali is gone already.He was almost knocked out by Henry Cooper a man much smaller than he was.Tyson is out because he was ko'd by Douglas.Foreman was stopped because of fatigue so he could be on your list.Hagler has to be on your list.Chuvalo has to be on your list.

Ali's chin is made of granite. Henry Cooper's left hook was like a truck hitting you. It caught Ali flush on the chin. That shot, would have dropped ANYone, except maybe Chuvalo. Ali's chin is definately top 3 EVER in heavies. Just cos sum1 is knocked down, that dont mean ****. Was Ali dropped against foreman, Shavers, Liston, Williams, Frazier (only once in 123 minutes of brutal left hooks).

Yogi
07-08-2005, 01:17 AM
If you are going to use Tua being knocked out as a amatuer then Marciano was knocked out as a amatuer by Corley Wallace.

Bro, Marciano was not knocked out by Coley Wallace!

I know when the Associated Press first put out an obituary of Wallace the claim was made that Wallace knocked him out and handed him his only amateur loss, but both of those comments were simply not true. And those two pieces of misinformation were corrected by them shortly thereafter, when they admitted what they said wasn't true.

Marciano lost a total of four amateur fights and those were to Harry Lester (by DQ), Joe D'Angelis (by Dec), Bob Girard (by Dec) and lastly to Coley Wallace (by Dec). That's the only time the two met in the ring and their fight from the 1948 'Golden Gloves All-East Championship Tournament' was also considered to have quite a bit of controversy to it as a result of the decision rendered for Wallace at the end of three rounds.

Here's a fight description I have of the one and only amateur fight Marciano and Wallace ever had;

"Rocky swarmed after Wallace at the opening bell. He was throwing wild but heavy punches that landed everywhere-on the arms, the shoulders, the top of the head.

The crowd at Ridgewood Grove Arena in Brooklyn was on its feet cheering. They sensed an upset, and even though Coley was the local favorite, they abandoned him.

But Wallace was an excellant boxer for an amateur, and he soon adjusted his style to cope with Rocky's bull-like rushes. It was the classic boxer versus slugger contest that fight fans crave.

Wallace had been scoring points with his slick style, but he did not have a punch to hurt Marciano. As the fight ended, Rocky was battering Coley against the ropes.

Wallace had been stylish, but Marciano had carried the fight to him throughout all three rounds and had delivered all of the punishing blows.

When the judges announced Wallace the victor, the fans, who believed Marciano won easily, were indignant. They booed and threw soda bottles and programs into the ring."

Smack
07-08-2005, 02:56 AM
Ali
Marciano
Cobb
Chuvalo