View Full Version : Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd Mayweather jr

kendom
10-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Based on some interesting exchanges on my Benny Leonard vs Floyd Mayweather thread, I became interested in who would win between Whitaker and Mayweather, I believe Whitaker because in my opinion he has the better defense and throws a greater volume of punches. Thoughts?

IronDanHamza
10-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Whitaker. In a close fight.

A lot of the rounds will be hard to score and with little going on.

But, there will be a tremendous skill level on show and I feel like it's a fight where the best will be brought out of each other.

$BloodyNate$
10-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Prime for Prime Pernell would just outwork him with the jab, and underrated body punching. Just score more points in a decently close competitive fight.

joseph5620
10-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Based on some interesting exchanges on my Benny Leonard vs Floyd Mayweather thread, I became interested in who would win between Whitaker and Mayweather, I believe Whitaker because in my opinion he has the better defense and throws a greater volume of punches. Thoughts?

135-140 I would pick Whitaker. 147 I would pick Mayweather. By close decision in both fights.

SCtrojansbaby
10-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Floyd is the perfect technician I don't think anybody out boxes him

kendom
10-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Floyd is the perfect technician I don't think anybody out boxes him

If anybody could it would be Pernell Whitaker

wmute
10-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Prime for Prime Pernell would just outwork him with the jab, and underrated body punching. Just score more points in a decently close competitive fight.

I don't think we would see much jabbing in this one.

New England
10-04-2011, 06:50 PM
135-140 I would pick Whitaker. 147 I would pick Mayweather. By close decision in both fights.

this

i'm also on the fence about 140. maybe floyd wins this one

floyd definitely wins at 147, though

and i'd pick whitaker to win at 135

the weight would be a huge factor in my estimation

wmute
10-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Stylewise Pea has the advantage. If it was not for the lack of focus he occasionally showed I would bet on him.

Incidentally I think this fight would me more violent than what most ppl think it would be.

Sugarj
10-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I think it would be a stinker that you wouldn't be able to take your eyes off!

I've got Whitaker by close decision, even at 147. The difference being workrate.

wmute
10-04-2011, 07:14 PM
I think it would be a stinker that you wouldn't be able to take your eyes off!

see "stinker" is also my guts reaction. but a) Pea would be at a reach disadvantage, and he would not be able to just stay at a distance, considering who is the guy with the longer arms, and b) Pbf always fights aggressive against lefties, because he needs to use more offense than defense. The combination of the two has a lot of potential.

Sugarj
10-04-2011, 07:21 PM
see "stinker" is also my guts reaction. but a) Pea would be at a reach disadvantage, and he would not be able to just stay at a distance, considering who is the guy with the longer arms, and b) Pbf always fights aggressive against lefties, because he needs to use more offense than defense. The combination of the two has a lot of potential.

I'm not entirely sure that the reach disparity would amount to much in the ring because I think it would be largely Whitaker's right lead vs Mayweather's right cross. The extra distance for the cross to travel would offset his reach advantage.

I just can't see Floyd using his left jab all that much in the fight.

But I do agree that Floyd would be the aggressor. I just think that Whitaker would nick it on the back foot.

TBear
10-04-2011, 08:04 PM
I got Whitaker by solid decision.

Marcov
10-04-2011, 10:20 PM
When two defensive fighters meet it makes for slow fights. Still Whitaker is in another class.

TAC602
10-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Whitaker at 135, 140 and 147.

Scott9945
10-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Whitaker at 135. Mayweather at 140 and 147.

Emon723
10-05-2011, 01:37 AM
I agree, if there is one who could make Floyd Mayweather look bad, it's sweet pea, but it's gonna be close, 7-5 for Whitaker.

And Whitaker never got beaten decisively until he was 35. If he is fighting now, he will fought the best, Pernell would fight Manny Pacquiao anytime, unlike Mayweather.

Scott9945
10-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Pernell would fight Manny Pacquiao anytime, unlike Mayweather.

I have no doubt about that. Whitaker was fearless.

davemurphy
10-05-2011, 02:33 AM
Whitaker was a little bit faster IMO, but to be bluntly honest the result would depend on whether your talking Whitaker pre-Crack Pipe and Booze.

wmute
10-05-2011, 04:14 AM
I'm not entirely sure that the reach disparity would amount to much in the ring because I think it would be largely Whitaker's right lead vs Mayweather's right cross. The extra distance for the cross to travel would offset his reach advantage.

I just can't see Floyd using his left jab all that much in the fight.

But I do agree that Floyd would be the aggressor. I just think that Whitaker would nick it on the back foot.

I think jabbing if Pea jabs would be the simple thing to do, especially with a reach advantage, and Floyd would not fail to do so. And i don't see that jabbing contest last very long.

wmute
10-05-2011, 04:14 AM
When two defensive fighters meet it makes for slow fights. Still Whitaker is in another class.

Ridiculous statement.

wmute
10-05-2011, 04:20 AM
Whitaker was a little bit faster IMO, but to be bluntly honest the result would depend on whether your talking Whitaker pre-Crack Pipe and Booze.

I sometimes think that is really what most ppl refer to here as Pea at 35, Floyd at 47.

Sugarj
10-05-2011, 11:29 AM
I think jabbing if Pea jabs would be the simple thing to do, especially with a reach advantage, and Floyd would not fail to do so. And i don't see that jabbing contest last very long.

I'd agree, that would be the best strategy for Floyd.

Problem is, I'd fancy that Whitaker's jab might just be that shade faster than Floyd's, it could be difficult to time and he tended to throw it in twos and threes.......which is something that Floyd rarely does.

Floyd does have a superb jab when he really uses it.....to head and body. It certainly looks to have more weight behind it than Whitaker's. It just seems to me that Floyd could use the jab much more in certain fights where I would expect it to be key.

Maybe, it would form part of his strategy for Whitaker. But its a nasty matchup for him regardless.

wmute
10-05-2011, 01:40 PM
I'd agree, that would be the best strategy for Floyd.

Problem is, I'd fancy that Whitaker's jab might just be that shade faster than Floyd's, it could be difficult to time and he tended to throw it in twos and threes.......which is something that Floyd rarely does.

Floyd does have a superb jab when he really uses it.....to head and body. It certainly looks to have more weight behind it than Whitaker's. It just seems to me that Floyd could use the jab much more in certain fights where I would expect it to be key.

Maybe, it would form part of his strategy for Whitaker. But its a nasty matchup for him regardless.

I think the speed would be compensated by arm length and that's why he would use it if needed. Just as PBF can neglect jabbing with most of his opposition, Pea could act regardless of reach disadvantages with most of his opposition, but they would be very different beasts than what they are used to. In my mind the jabs would neglect each other, so they would both be looking for other ways to win, and credible alternatives are for PBF to come forward and Pea to stay close, that's why i don't think it would be boring.

This should favor Pea, and I would bet on him, if only he had PBF's ability to focus and not clown around. Too bad he does not, so while I would pick Pea to win if forced to pick someone, I would not put money on this fight.

joseph5620
10-05-2011, 02:51 PM

I'm using Whitaker during his his best period at 147 which would be the Chavez and McGirt fights. I don't believe he had a drug problem during that period. In my opinion Mayweather is better at 147 than Whitaker was. After further reviewing this, I would favor Mayweather at 140-147. But it's definitely Whitaker at 135. I would have a hard time picking any fighter in history to beat Whitaker at 135.

Sugarj
10-05-2011, 05:24 PM
I think the speed would be compensated by arm length and that's why he would use it if needed. Just as PBF can neglect jabbing with most of his opposition, Pea could act regardless of reach disadvantages with most of his opposition, but they would be very different beasts than what they are used to. In my mind the jabs would neglect each other, so they would both be looking for other ways to win, and credible alternatives are for PBF to come forward and Pea to stay close, that's why i don't think it would be boring.

This should favor Pea, and I would bet on him, if only he had PBF's ability to focus and not clown around. Too bad he does not, so while I would pick Pea to win if forced to pick someone, I would not put money on this fight.

Yep, definitely not one I'd be betting on! Although I might chance a fiver on the draw at 33:1.

Barn
10-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Pernell at 135, Floyd at 147. Both in close fights.

Ziggy Stardust
10-06-2011, 02:25 PM
these two monkeys

Reported for racism ,,!,,

BigStereotype
10-06-2011, 05:10 PM
If anybody could it would be Pernell Whitaker

My take on the fight exactly. Close, hard to score, not very casual fan friendly (but with a lot to pick apart for us boxing nerds) - and Whitaker coming out on top.

BigStereotype
10-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Reported for racism ,,!,,

How has this joker not been banned yet? Every day, I seem him calling a black fighter some kind of racial slur. Not even like veiled racism, just good, old-fashioned hick racism.

Scott9945
10-06-2011, 06:25 PM
How has this joker not been banned yet? Every day, I seem him calling a black fighter some kind of racial slur. Not even like veiled racism, just good, old-fashioned hick racism.

Keep reporting him. Eventually the site administrators will get tired of reading the complaints and ban his stupid a$$.

deejd
10-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Absolutely enjoy both fighters... with that being said, I think technical skill would prevail with Mayweather. I fully acknowledge Sweet Pea's defensive wizardry, but Mayweather's always been able to time his opponents. Then again, Whitaker never really falls into some sort of pattern. But because, Mayweather stays true to the fundamentals and tends to leave the flashy stuff outside of the ring (doesn't address the HBO crew anymore or stick his chin out), I'd think he'd win.

Miburo
10-06-2011, 06:41 PM
It would be one of the most bizarre fights ever.

RichCCFC
01-21-2012, 05:53 PM
bump...... Must be one of the only polls Floyd is losing in!

IronDanHamza
01-22-2012, 11:57 AM
bump...... Must be one of the only polls Floyd is losing in!

He loses in plenty.

New England
01-22-2012, 12:30 PM

at 135 i'm taking whitaker

147 i'm taking floyd

both fights would probably suck. the fight at 147 would really blow

edit :

evidently this is an old thread and i wrote the very same response a few months back.

i'm very glad fenechjeff was banned.
that guy literally made me want to hurt an old man some thing awful

Juof
01-22-2012, 10:21 PM
whitakers got a better defence imo also whitaker has the advantage of being southpaw hes fought more orthadox fighters than floyds fought southpaws floyd tends to stand more straight up against southpaws

them_apples
01-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Whitaker was way to good at 135. His skills are incredible even most boxing fans don't see it. Not only was his eye site and reflexes incredible but his hand speed combined with the fact that he never telegraphed anything. Even Floyd has subtle telegraphing going on when he coils. Whitakers footwork was incredible as well, he's move around the ring very quickly in a walking motion as to allow him to fight on the backfoot more effectively and counter punch.

at 147, I give Floyd a shot. A lot of guys however, only beat Whitaker at 147 because os size and power, Floyd still wouldn't have much on pea at 147 - but I see him having a bit more in the tank.

F l i c k e r
01-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Either way it's a decision. And one of the most boring fights ever.

At 147, I'd take Floyd. Just a better decision maker. Even if he only throws 27 punches the whole fight, he'll make them count and it's not like Whitaker would have a substantial output either if Floyd had a low output.

Lower. I don't know. Floyd was good but inexperienced; not patient. May get him looking sloppy against Whitaker. So, I'd choose Whitaker below 147.

RichCCFC
04-02-2012, 11:56 AM
bump.............

Optimistic
04-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Pernell wins it imo.

RightStraight
04-02-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm gonna say that, for me, Mayweather wins at 135 and 147. He didn't look too good to me at 140, even though he picked apart Carlos. I'm not sure Whitaker would win but I'd pick him to win at 140.

I really admire Whitaker, hes probably the best southpaw next to Hagler but I don't think he'd win against Mayweather. Even if its a close fight.

raf727
04-02-2012, 04:42 PM
I like to think Sweet Pea could take it, I personally believe a slick southpaw is the style to beat PBF. The jab, the workrate, the handspeed combined with the timing of Pernell would be enough for him to take a decision in an odd looking boxing match.

Pretty confident in this pick, there are alot of guys I believe would beat PBF if it came to it, and Sweet Pea is at the top of the list for me.

IIIX JACK XIII
04-02-2012, 11:27 PM
It seems alot of you only watched mayweather from 140 to 147 talking about his low worrkrate and one shot at a time. The guy was a monster at 130/35, its seems alot of people forget that.

If im honest i dont know who would win this fight, its tough to call.

Mannie Phresh
04-02-2012, 11:31 PM
pre coke????

raf727
04-02-2012, 11:49 PM
It seems alot of you only watched mayweather from 140 to 147 talking about his low worrkrate and one shot at a time. The guy was a monster at 130/35, its seems alot of people forget that.

If im honest i dont know who would win this fight, its tough to call.

Yea his run at 130 was something special, but I still think Pea has his number.