View Full Version : Ali is the greatest athlete in the history of mankind

Dempsey 1919
10-29-2005, 03:23 AM
muhammad ali is better than michael jordan, wayne gretski, lance armstrong, jim brown, willy mays and babe ruth combined.
(yea, this is for you DuncanJL lol!)

DuncanJL
10-29-2005, 06:23 AM
i believe i know more about ali than everyone, including you. you nor anybody can tell me what happened in his career, and i know more than anyone what could have happened.

you said it. no way i could make that **** up.

i never thought i could hate someone who likes ali. but your comments about "knowing" more than anyone are just too ridiculous to ignore. really. do you know that there are professional biographers that basically study Ali's career for a living? These people obtain first source material from people who knew him, cared for him, worked with him etc. It disturbs the hell out of me for a 16 yr old kid who has seen some Ali fights on tv and has read some biased bull**** on the web to say he "knows" anything. well i know something! you are a joke buddy. everyone already knows he is the best athlete. you don't need to say it like it's news. everyone has seen the fights. we all know that Ali missed his prime. he is the best athlete.
you on the other hand are horrible.

he is the best. you are horrible. Ali, best. You, horrible.

when you open your mouth, nothing but spew comes out. and you open it often like everyone ought to listen. The thing is that you aren't even interested in knowing the truths about his career, like a good fan. you just want to spew like you already know everything there is to know. well im pretty sure that you will never cease to "enlighten" us all on everything we already know about Ali's career. so spew away man yah!

KidBlackie
10-29-2005, 07:40 AM
[[[muhammad ali is better than]]]
========================

Well, he's damn sure better than you. Anything else is debatable!

RastaSmoker
10-29-2005, 08:12 AM
you could argue the fact that he is the best boxer in history, but to say he is the greatest ATHLETE in the history of mankind is ridiculous. How do Names like Carl Lewis, or Jesse Owens, or Lance Armstrong not top him. There Physical gifts are unmatched in history. You have really showed your true knowledge or should i say lack there of about athletic achievements, and i will never take you seriously as a poster from this point on.

Frazier's 15th round
10-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Of course he's a better athlete than Babe Ruth. Ruth's training methods consisted of drinking beer, and.....drinking beer.

And besides, Ali wasn't in a league of his own. He did lose fights. There are some athletes that were just unstoppable.

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 10:15 AM
ali is the best athelte of ALL time

czars_salad
10-29-2005, 11:40 AM
pele is the greatest

Dempsey 1919
10-29-2005, 01:27 PM
you said it. no way i could make that **** up.

i never thought i could hate someone who likes ali. but your comments about "knowing" more than anyone are just too ridiculous to ignore. really. do you know that there are professional biographers that basically study Ali's career for a living? These people obtain first source material from people who knew him, cared for him, worked with him etc. It disturbs the hell out of me for a 16 yr old kid who has seen some Ali fights on tv and has read some biased bull**** on the web to say he "knows" anything. well i know something! you are a joke buddy. everyone already knows he is the best athlete. you don't need to say it like it's news. everyone has seen the fights. we all know that Ali missed his prime. he is the best athlete.
you on the other hand are horrible.

he is the best. you are horrible. Ali, best. You, horrible.

when you open your mouth, nothing but spew comes out. and you open it often like everyone ought to listen. The thing is that you aren't even interested in knowing the truths about his career, like a good fan. you just want to spew like you already know everything there is to know. well im pretty sure that you will never cease to "enlighten" us all on everything we already know about Ali's career. so spew away man yah!
listen, i've read about 5 or 6 biographies on ali. have you done that? i don't know why you're trying to bash me on this thread, you actually agreed with me, then you said i'm horrible and i'm som 16 year old kid (i'm actually 17, can't you do math moron 1988 from 2005 is 17!), and that i watched a few of his fights. out of the 61 he's had i saw 40 to 45. so no i'm not some idiot you're trying to make me out to be. the fact that you agree with me and then you still try to soil my name is beyond me. what, is it because tommyhearns803 hasn't been around for a while and you need someone to be the goat? and i said before give me one thing i said that wasn't true and i will leave you alone. you said some things and i always gave you an answer, so as of now, you have'nt given me one thing! all you said was that i'm horrible and all that crap, but you couldn't even back THAT up lol! i feel i have a right to voice my opinions as much as the next guy, without someone attacking me on my personality and my intelligence, and not on boxing which is what it's supposed to be. i have not attacked you or started something with you in and way without you first attacking me. i would like to continue in this forum without having to defend myself on things i shouldn't even be defending myself on. can we stick to boxing please.

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 01:42 PM
agreed butterfly agreed.

Dempsey 1919
10-29-2005, 04:03 PM
you could argue the fact that he is the best boxer in history, but to say he is the greatest ATHLETE in the history of mankind is ridiculous. How do Names like Carl Lewis, or Jesse Owens, or Lance Armstrong not top him. There Physical gifts are unmatched in history. You have really showed your true knowledge or should i say lack there of about athletic achievements, and i will never take you seriously as a poster from this point on.
so you are saying that carl lewis compares to the likes of ali? carl lewis is not even the best track and field athlete, nor jesse owens. michael johnson is, any fool would know that. ali, won the title when no one gave him a chance against liston and demolished the other competition in the 60s. he fought back to win the title after his title, his prime years, and his greastest boxing assets at the time, speed, were stripped from him by the u.s. gov't against an even more feared boxer in george foreman in the 70s. he also won the title again at age 36 when having some signs of parkinson's and has fought in the two greatest boxing matches of all times (ali-frazier I, and III in that order), and in the 70s, and even today, his face is more recognizable in the world than the president of the united states! name something lewis, owens, and armstrong has done that was better than that. think about something before you post it, or just get off the ganga lol!

Monsi
11-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Hold on...Lance Armstrong is a million miles away from even being the best cyclist.

Ali is certainly the most significant athlete in history

jabsRstiff
11-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Muhammad Ali & Sugar Ray Robinson...

They both boxed. Was there some other sport that Ali was great at ? Because, Sugar Ray Robinson was a better/greater fighter than Ali.
This means that he was also the better athlete.

fistlegend
11-11-2005, 06:49 PM
ali had ALOT of stamina, more then sugar ray i reckon. because he cud dance for 15 rounds in his prime or young years and he was a heavyweight

THE REAL NINJA
11-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Bo Jackson was a bettter athlete

Da Iceman
11-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Joe Louis was the greatest athlete. Ali just did more for the sport than him

Mike_R
11-15-2005, 10:59 AM
i wouldn't rank ali over jordan. i might tie them, but you guys need to go watch some chicago bulls highlight reel stuff. jordan was a completely unreal athlete.

Dempsey 1919
11-15-2005, 04:46 PM
i wouldn't rank ali over jordan. i might tie them, but you guys need to go watch some chicago bulls highlight reel stuff. jordan was a completely unreal athlete.

i would put jordan at number 2. his predecessor of fancy moves on the court was elgin baylor. ali really had no predecessor. he bounced around the ring like a featherweight, and he was a heavyweight! and he wasn't a 185 pounder like marciano or patterson either. in his prime he was a big and strong 212 1/2lbs! i don't think anybody for a hundred years at least can weigh that much and move like he weighed like 130!

Verstyle
11-15-2005, 05:16 PM
i would put jordan at number 2. his predecessor of fancy moves on the court was elgin baylor. ali really had no predecessor. he bounced around the ring like a featherweight, and he was a heavyweight! and he wasn't a 185 pounder like marciano or patterson either. in his prime he was a big and strong 212 1/2lbs! i don't think anybody for a hundred years at least can weigh that much and move like he weighed like 130!

ive seen alot of ppl move like ali. im givin u some of your own medicine.hehe

Dempsey 1919
11-15-2005, 05:27 PM
ive seen alot of ppl move like ali. im givin u some of your own medicine.hehe

and did they weigh 210+?

THE REAL NINJA
11-16-2005, 02:05 AM
and did they weigh 210+?
damit barry sanders could and he was 203 close....big deal ali could skip that does not make him the best athlete it makes him the best hv boxer... no boxer is the best athlete ever if so why in the blue hell would they fight insted of being a star in the nfl or nba????...

Dempsey 1919
11-16-2005, 11:46 AM
damit barry sanders could and he was 203 close....big deal ali could skip that does not make him the best athlete it makes him the best hv boxer... no boxer is the best athlete ever if so why in the blue hell would they fight insted of being a star in the nfl or nba????...

i'm just saying that ali was better at boxing than any other atlete was at their sport.

KingAbdullah
11-16-2005, 07:58 PM
ali was the greatest entertainer the sport saw. there is no doubt of that. as fighters go, I've seen better.

a very good heavyweight with a top jaw but took too much punishment. I also liked the way he took on all comers. A heavyweight de la hoya without the big punch.

Dempsey 1919
11-18-2005, 05:31 PM
ali was the greatest entertainer the sport saw. there is no doubt of that. as fighters go, I've seen better.

a very good heavyweight with a top jaw but took too much punishment. I also liked the way he took on all comers. A heavyweight de la hoya without the big punch.

name one fighter who could move faster for their size, punch faster, dominate matches, and make up a style so good, not one person was able to copy it 'cause it was too hard.

steveharradine
11-20-2005, 05:09 PM
the greatest athlete of all time is eddy merckx

Dempsey 1919
11-20-2005, 05:22 PM
the greatest athlete of all time is eddy merckx

who is that?

Easy-E
11-20-2005, 05:24 PM
muhammad ali is better than michael jordan, wayne gretski, lance armstrong, jim brown, willy mays and babe ruth combined.

id say armstrong is a better athelete than ali
its tough to appreciate what he does by watching it on tv

steveharradine
11-20-2005, 05:34 PM
and merckx is FAR better than armstrong! butterfly, he was a belgian cyclist in the 60's and 70's...he won the tour de france 5 times, the tour of italy five times, and won every other race on the calendar at least once..some of the classics he won several times..believe it or not, cycling is an even harder sport than boxing. boxing is a close second.

Dempsey 1919
11-20-2005, 05:37 PM
and merckx is FAR better than armstrong! butterfly, he was a belgian cyclist in the 60's and 70's...he won the tour de france 5 times, the tour of italy five times, and won every other race on the calendar at least once..some of the classics he won several times..believe it or not, cycling is an even harder sport than boxing. boxing is a close second.

then in that case lance armstrong is better than him, cause he won 7 stright tour de frances, and he even had not one, but TWO cancers.

steveharradine
11-20-2005, 05:38 PM
im not getting into this discussion with someone who doesnt even know who eddy merckx is.

Dempsey 1919
11-20-2005, 05:39 PM
im not getting into this discussion with someone who doesnt even know who eddy merckx is.

whatever you say.

Easy-E
11-20-2005, 06:06 PM

cycling is a harder sport, but merckx wasnt a better athelete than lance. remember that the tour changes each year.
lance had the cards stacked against hit, the race officials changed the course every year to make it harder for lance.
what that guy did was amazing

steveharradine
11-20-2005, 06:09 PM
okay i took the bait...let me educate you a little...in merckx's career he won 445 races out of 1582, plus over 100 as an amateur and countless track races, including 5 tours de france, 5 tours of italy, and one tour of spain (he only rode it the once) plus all of the spring classics at least once..he won the world championship road race 3 times plus once as an amateur..

armstrong, since his cancer, has trained solely for the tour de france, the biggest and most prestigious of the races..he ducks the tours of italy and spain, and the spring classics, and bases himself around the tour de france..before his illness he won the world championship road race once..he has (i think) around 96 major wins to his name..i appreciate that his feats are incredible considering his illness, but he is in remission, and his illness is not the reason he doesnt ride many races, the basic fact is, if he rode the amount of races people like merckx did, its certain he wouldnt have won 7 tours, in fact its possible he wouldnt have won any at all..since the era of greg lemond in the 80's, the major contenders for the tour de france have had to train solely for that race to be in with a chance (because thats what all their rivals do)..in eddy's day, they rode pretty much every race..if armstrong did that, he wouldnt have the strength left to win the tour..you can argue that he would, so why doesnt he then? exactly. armstrong isnt even in the top 30 of all time, and just because he's the only cyclist you've heared of it doesnt make him the best.

steveharradine
11-20-2005, 06:12 PM
cycling is a harder sport, but merckx wasnt a better athelete than lance. remember that the tour changes each year.
lance had the cards stacked against hit, the race officials changed the course every year to make it harder for lance.
what that guy did was amazing

lance has better roads, better equipment, and not the competition that merckx was up against. and what makes you think they didnt make the tours harder for eddy? it changes every year, but so what? this year there were only 3 mountain stages, whereas in years gone by there couldve been as many as 6.

KidBlackie
11-20-2005, 09:11 PM
[[[[[lance has better roads, better equipment, and not the competition that merckx was up against. ]]]]
===============================

Dude, I appreciate you like Merckx and all, but neither he nor Lance would qualify for the best athlete ever. Nor would Ali who was just a boxer and really didn't dominate his division but for a few years in his prime.

The best athletes are guys like Jim Thorpe who not only dominated Olympic track and field like nobody ever had or ever will, but played pro football and baseball and was a HOF football player.

Or a guy like Babe Ruth who was a dominant pitcher who started to tie and break HR records before he ever became an everyday player. Babe changed the whole nature of the game like nobody had done before or since.

Now, as to Eddie, well, in his fashion Lance is every bit as good as Eddie. It's really two different eras and different styles and requirements. Merckx was a tough guy who was able to often go out on his own and teamwork was not as important then.

It's Lance who competes in the most competitive and global environment, not Eddie. Riders now come from Eastern Europe and N/S Americas and riders can't afford to smoke cigs like Eddie often did while riding. The bikes are much faster and the strategy of teamwork and drafting and training has been greatly advanced. The riders need more skills than in Eddie's day because of these advances. No rider will ever be able to gut it out solo like Eddie did again.

Moreover, few top riders compete in all the events Eddie did because of the limits of their huge contracts. Eddie would be just as limited by contract if he competed today.

steveharradine
11-20-2005, 10:22 PM
babe ruth, jim thorpe, better athletes than merckx?? smoking cigs in training?? merckx had a good team and of course team work was important, but he COULD win on his own if he had to..he was capable of it and proved it time and time again..lance doesnt ride in this manner, his team does the majority of the work while he sits there eighth or ninth in line marking the dangermen, or letting his team mark them..its like a russian doll, when the shells are removed and his team mates drop off, lance is there to be unleashed...merckx controlled races himself, and didnt rely on his team as much as lance does...people like hinault for example were similar to eddy in that they won races from the front, they would attack when they didnt need to to put more time into the opposition...lance just watches his opponents and if they make a move, then he'll stick with them and make sure they dont put anymore time into him and thats been his tactic for the past 7 years. same with greg lemond....i defy you to find any pictures where lemond is on the front doing his share of the work..he's ALWAYS sitting on the wheel of his rival and that is NOT an honourable way to ride...its legal, but its not good sportsmanship..

i dont know where this idea of not being able to ride other races because of contractual obligation stems from..if lance wanted to ride the giro, the paris-roubaix, the vuelta, he could....he doesnt even ride the world championship road race anymore! and you're saying he's every bit as good as eddy? sorry dude, i appreciate armstrongs achievements for what they are, but its the equivalent of comparing ali to leon spinks for example, or saying david beckham is the best footballer (soccer player) of all time..babe ruth? heheheh ;)

btw, just because lance is competing against a wider range of nationalities, it doesnt mean those cyclist are any better than the nationalities of the cyclists eddy was racing against..there is no one in the peleton of today (and im not counting lance here) whos even as good as people like moser, devlaeminck, poulidor, zoetemelk, kuiper, gimondi, maertens (off the top of my head)...plus, if he rode like lance and focused on the tour, he would have won it 12 times +, no problem.

Easy-E
11-20-2005, 10:46 PM
lance has better roads, better equipment, and not the competition that merckx was up against. and what makes you think they didnt make the tours harder for eddy? it changes every year, but so what? this year there were only 3 mountain stages, whereas in years gone by there couldve been as many as 6.

the tour gets longer, and more challenging to create more exictement
plus, armstrong's competiton is great, he just blows everybody away.
its true that lance had better roads and better equiptment, but so does everybody else on the tour today
you cant compare times

steveharradine
11-20-2005, 10:51 PM
no comment

Heckler
11-21-2005, 03:04 AM
Athlete, I agree that Ali deserves it... whats harder is all subjective. Ali is a man that fought beyond his prime and defeated the best there was to beat, he was great MENTALLY and PHYSICALLY... He left everything in the ring, fought to the very brink of his bodies capability, biggest level of determination and heart of any athlete recorded and recognised i believe... he is the epitome of what an athlete should be.

KidBlackie
11-21-2005, 11:53 AM
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[i appreciate armstrongs achievements for what they are, but its the equivalent of comparing ali to leon spinks for example]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
===========================

OK, I gave you much to much credit and respect for knowing something about Merckx. Apparently that's all you know and you're no different than those painted up half naked idiots screaming their drunken selves silly at football games.

Gemini531
11-21-2005, 02:01 PM
I am the greatest athelte of all time forget Ali , Jordan and roy jones.
:boxing:

steveharradine
11-21-2005, 02:46 PM
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[i appreciate armstrongs achievements for what they are, but its the equivalent of comparing ali to leon spinks for example]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
===========================

OK, I gave you much to much credit and respect for knowing something about Merckx. Apparently that's all you know and you're no different than those painted up half naked idiots screaming their drunken selves silly at football games.

wrong again buddy..i gave you WAY too much respect when i replied to your idiotic suggestion that an overweight BASEBALL PLAYER is the greatest athelete of all time. that statement alone makes you a moron. **** you.

Dempsey 1919
11-21-2005, 03:29 PM
wrong again buddy..i gave you WAY too much respect when i replied to your idiotic suggestion that an overweight BASEBALL PLAYER is the greatest athelete of all time. that statement alone makes you a moron. **** you.
can't we all get along? :p

steveharradine
11-21-2005, 03:32 PM
i would love to butterfly...im not the one puffing my chest out and talking crap to others "ur no better than drunken face painting football idiots" just cause our opinions differ. if he wants to talk to me like that he's gonna get it back.

KidBlackie
11-21-2005, 04:14 PM
[[[[wrong again buddy..i gave you WAY too much respect when i replied to your idiotic suggestion that an overweight BASEBALL PLAYER is the greatest athelete of all time. that statement alone makes you a moron. **** you.]]]]]]]]]]
====================

A moron would be a big step up the evolutionary ladder from you. You're somewhat literate, but comically unoriginal, but of course the cheerleader's ritual has a long history of repetition.

You don't know the first thing about Babe Ruth other than that goofy Hollywood movie with Rosanne's 300 lb TV hubby playing Ruth that you actually paid good money to see. Ruth was a major physical speciman in his prime and stole home about 5Xs more than Ricky Henderson and has more than double his triples not to mention all the other categories he blows him away.

Without the career of Merckx giving you a backbone, you'd be a flatworm.

steveharradine
11-21-2005, 04:19 PM
see what i mean?

steveharradine
11-21-2005, 04:20 PM
how can a baseball player be the greatest athelete of all time??!!?!?! HAHAHAH if im a flatworm then you're the scum on my belly

steveharradine
11-21-2005, 04:22 PM
oooh but he scored soooo many home runs...do me a favour.. :rolleyes:

Dempsey 1919
11-21-2005, 04:30 PM
willy mays is the greatest baseball player ever.

steveharradine
11-21-2005, 04:36 PM
is he the best athelete? do you seriously believe that ANY baseball player is a greater athelete than ali or merckx? can you say this with a straight face?

Dempsey 1919
11-21-2005, 04:43 PM
is he the best athelete? do you seriously believe that ANY baseball player is a greater athelete than ali or merckx? can you say this with a straight face?

i didn't say best athlete, i just said best baseball player. but who is to say that a baseball player can't become the greatest athlete?

steveharradine
11-21-2005, 04:44 PM
you guys are being silly now

Dempsey 1919
11-21-2005, 04:46 PM
you guys are being silly now

what does a particular sport has to do with being the best athlete?

steveharradine
11-21-2005, 04:50 PM
i'm out of this site..bye

j
11-21-2005, 04:51 PM
butterfly, i don't got a problem with you(or anyone else for that matter), but make sure to separate fact from opinion. we all got it, ali is you're fave old school boxer.

best athlete ever is easily debatable, hence no such title exist.

Dempsey 1919
11-21-2005, 05:28 PM
butterfly, i don't got a problem with you(or anyone else for that matter), but make sure to separate fact from opinion. we all got it, ali is you're fave old school boxer.

best athlete ever is easily debatable, hence no such title exist.

if you break it down, ali was the best boxer, jordan the best basketball player, gretsky the best hockey player, mays the best baseball player, johnson the best track star, and brown the best football player. you can eliminate brown, johnson, and mays, cause they didn't revolutionalize the sport. so you're left with jordan, gretsky, and ali. alot of people can now copy the style's of jordan and gretsky, but no hw can move as fast as ali, so ali wins this one!

j
11-21-2005, 05:35 PM
wait wait, johnson didn't revolutionize the sport? what the hell? the first black heavyweight champion, didn't revolutionize the sport? what the hell?

and pistol pete was the greatest ball player of all time! just kidding, somewhat.

Dempsey 1919
11-21-2005, 05:38 PM
wait wait, johnson didn't revolutionize the sport? what the hell? the first black heavyweight champion, didn't revolutionize the sport? what the hell?

and pistol pete was the greatest ball player of all time! just kidding, somewhat.

i'm talking about michael johnson, in track and field.

Easy-E
11-21-2005, 06:15 PM
how can a baseball player be the greatest athelete of all time??!!?!?! HAHAHAH if im a flatworm then you're the scum on my belly

babe ruth is probably top 25 for most out of shape athelets ever

Dempsey 1919
11-21-2005, 06:53 PM
babe ruth is probably top 25 for most out of shape athelets ever

buster douglass was probably worst.

tommyhearns804
11-21-2005, 07:09 PM
Ali was the greatest...I wish i could be like him.Be so great that i ended up with brain damage while guys like Foreman,Holmes,Norton,Shavers ect ect ect can still walk around without shaking. :)

j
11-21-2005, 07:15 PM
oh, the track star guy. my bad.

Dempsey 1919
11-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Ali was the greatest...I wish i could be like him.Be so great that i ended up with brain damage while guys like Foreman,Holmes,Norton,Shavers ect ect ect can still walk around without shaking. :)

oh, **** you're back!

and that has nothing to do with his boxing career. i'll put it this way, the gov't stripped him of his title in 1967, and during three 1/2 yrs, he lost some of his speed. this enabled him to get hit more when he came back. the u.s. gov't is responsible for his parkinsons, nobody else.

Aligoat
11-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Ali the greatest off all time!

speed_devil
11-22-2005, 01:07 PM
good on Ali he is simple wonderfull

THE REAL NINJA
11-22-2005, 03:19 PM
i'm just saying that ali was better at boxing than any other atlete was at their sport.
oh ok cool then...m.jordan ?

Dempsey 1919
11-22-2005, 05:01 PM
oh ok cool then...m.jordan ?

jordan isn't half the athlete ali was. i'll even go out on a limb and say that wayne gretsky was a better athlete than jordan.

McGoorty
07-19-2011, 05:12 AM
ALI is MOST Certainly the most World Famous athlete for sure, BUT the Greatest Sportsman of all time is BEYOND DOUBT,........ his name SIR DONALD BRADMAN, NO ONE DOMINATED their sport like him EVER. He is Undisputedly the greatest Cricketer of all time, he is rated as TWICE as good as the 2nd best player ( there's 3 in line for 2nd ). Before anyone goes CRICKET, it has a fan base of over 200 million fans worldwide, a virtual WORLD GAME. Don Bradman was the best cricketer in the world for TWENTY YEARS STRAIGHT. THERE WILL NEVER be a Cricketer NEAR as good for 10,000 Years. It is just,... Inconceivable, Hail "" THE DON""

McGoorty
07-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Here's some stiff competition. Greatest All-Round Pure Athlete in History.,,, JIM THORPE. easy,...........The Current day Greatest Athlete on planet,.. VERY EASY,, USAIN BOLT,.... GREATEST All-Time Ball Sport Genius,... The INCOMPARABLE DON BRADMAN,.. A Lay Down Misere' if ever there was. GREATEST SELF PROMOTER IN SPORT HISTORY,....................... None Other Than MUHAMMAD ALI,.

Dynamite76
08-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Ali was a great athlete, but not on the all-around lines of Wilt Chamberlain and Jim Brown.

Biffen
08-04-2011, 05:06 PM
The greatest athlete of all time is Ingar Stenmark. They had to change the rules for the wolrd cup becuse he was so mutch better then everyone else.

SBleeder
08-04-2011, 06:15 PM
if you break it down, ali was the best boxer, jordan the best basketball player, gretsky the best hockey player, mays the best baseball player, johnson the best track star, and brown the best football player. you can eliminate brown, johnson, and mays, cause they didn't revolutionalize the sport. so you're left with jordan, gretsky, and ali. alot of people can now copy the style's of jordan and gretsky, but no hw can move as fast as ali, so ali wins this one!

SRR was the greatest fighter of all time.

Willie Mays falls short of Babe Ruth, for the simple fact that Babe Ruth was a dominant pitcher as well as a great hitter.

I rank Walter Payton ahead of Jim Brown.

Ziggy Stardust
08-04-2011, 06:48 PM

Got to agree with you there: Payton was the finest running back I ever saw (and I can't stand the Bears).

Poet

Scott9945
08-04-2011, 07:43 PM
SRR was the greatest fighter of all time.

Willie Mays falls short of Babe Ruth, for the simple fact that Babe Ruth was a dominant pitcher as well as a great hitter.

And I can't rate someone who averaged 5.2 yards per carry for his entire career below anyone.

New England
08-04-2011, 07:47 PM
what are you basing athleticism on?

the purely athletic activities (running, jumping, swimming, climbing trees, etc) are different from boxing

in boxing you tame the lion
much of your athletic qualities are removed from he game in boxing, to allow for the focus of your energies to be entirely on the act of boxing, which is more about skills than athletic qualities.

when you play say basketball you don't really do that. if you have speed and height and ups you can take the ball to the rack against smaller and slower men and they can do nothing to stop you.

you can send a brilliant athlete out there with his size and speed and he will almost always dominate
it's a different style of game with a different and more purely athletic goal in my eyes

same with running

i don't care how schooled of a runner you are (like a schooled boxer who can easily defeat a better athlete, a bigger man, etc)
you just cant beat an outright superior runner with true gifts
it just doesn't work. if he's faster than you are outright (say a guy off the street against prime randy moss, the fastest open field in the history of the NFL, who was also the fastest track runner in his state in high school)

chris arreola could never beat moss in a 100 meter if moss was healthy. ever. it's just not going to happen if moss stays healthy. thats not how bodies work. you do not develop world class speed, just as you don't develop world class punching power where there is none regularly)
but arreola would bust him up if they boxed because of his skills.

making it a less purely athletic endeavor in my eyes
and more skill based than the other purely athletic sports

meaning that those men in the purely athletic sports have given us a more of a body of work to base the claim that they are "better all around athletes" in terms of the gifts you were born with
you're born with your running stride
you have to learn how to box

ChopperRead
08-04-2011, 07:53 PM
The greatest athlete in the history of mankind got knocked on his ass by Chuck Wepner.

Ziggy Stardust
08-04-2011, 08:05 PM
what are you basing athleticism on?

the purely athletic activities (running, jumping, swimming, climbing trees, etc) are different from boxing

in boxing you tame the lion
much of your athletic qualities are removed from he game in boxing, to allow for the focus of your energies to be entirely on the act of boxing, which is more about skills than athletic qualities.

when you play say basketball you don't really do that. if you have speed and height and ups you can take the ball to the rack against smaller and slower men and they can do nothing to stop you.

you can send a brilliant athlete out there with his size and speed and he will almost always dominate
it's a different style of game with a different and more purely athletic goal in my eyes

same with running

i don't care how schooled of a runner you are (like a schooled boxer who can easily defeat a better athlete, a bigger man, etc)
you just cant beat an outright superior runner with true gifts
it just doesn't work. if he's faster than you are outright (say a guy off the street against prime randy moss, the fastest open field in the history of the NFL, who was also the fastest track runner in his state in high school)

chris arreola could never beat moss in a 100 meter if moss was healthy. ever. it's just not going to happen if moss stays healthy. thats not how bodies work. you do not develop world class speed, just as you don't develop world class punching power where there is none regularly)
but arreola would bust him up if they boxed because of his skills.

making it a less purely athletic endeavor in my eyes
and more skill based than the other purely athletic sports

meaning that those men in the purely athletic sports have given us a more of a body of work to base the claim that they are "better all around athletes" in terms of the gifts you were born with
you're born with your running stride
you have to learn how to box

Even in sports like the NFL and the NBA skill still trumps athleticism. I've seen plenty of world-class athletes wash out of both leagues because they simply didn't have the skills.....while players with far less athleticism had long, successful careers because they DID have the skills. Hell, a relatively unathletic Dirk Nowitzki picked up a ring this year while the "superior athlete" Kobe Bryant got shown the door early. People seriously overrate the impact of athleticism in sports other then track and field.

Poet

Capaedia
08-04-2011, 08:30 PM
The greatest athlete in the history of mankind got knocked on his ass by Chuck Wepner.

http://www.wamo.info/tms/05-11-2010Malanowski.jpg

Now either Chuck Wepner has some seriously underrated power and has just sent Muhammad Ali flying with a bodyshot.

Or like anyone without an agenda can see, Wepner took a few tricks from Liston and stood on his foot...

New England
08-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Even in sports like the NFL and the NBA skill still trumps athleticism. I've seen plenty of world-class athletes wash out of both leagues because they simply didn't have the skills.....while players with far less athleticism had long, successful careers because they DID have the skills. Hell, a relatively unathletic Dirk Nowitzki picked up a ring this year while the "superior athlete" Kobe Bryant got shown the door early. People seriously overrate the impact of athleticism in sports other then track and field.

Poet

agreed.

i was trying to illustrate the spectrum and where the sports lie

i do believe that basketball is the more purely athletic sport than boxing
as are many positions in football.

there isn't a ton of skill involved in being a runningback, pass rusher, wide receiver, and a few other positions in foes
you gotta be either gotta be a fast beast or or just greasy and fast with hands

and dirk is seven feet tall, though.
i include that in his list of "gifts" :-S

and in terms of athleticism and nothing else
track and field
swimming (though unless the sport involves it, talent in swimming wont necessarily translate to talent in other sports)
climbing trees
wrestling

i'd rank these the highest and say they are most natural in terms of human activities where talent would allow one to excel

but,
who wins at the collegiate level in the football and basketball?
the team with the athletes, usually. they usually recruit athletes.

down the line when everybody is a man and gifted then skill trumps everything else, obviously, in those sports.

DarkTerror88
08-04-2011, 08:52 PM

Chi-Town love baby!!

fitefanSHO
08-04-2011, 09:03 PM

ya but was he better than Jim Thorpe? :thinking:

Ziggy Stardust
08-04-2011, 09:03 PM
i do believe that basketball is the more purely athletic sport than boxing as are many positions in football.

there isn't a ton of skill involved in being a runningback, pass rusher, wide receiver, and a few other positions in foes
you gotta be either gotta be a fast beast or or just greasy and fast with hands.

I dunno, there's a pretty good reason why a slow unathletic white dudes like Steve Largent and Dwight Clark were vastly superior receivers than world-class athletes Willie Gault and Renaldo Nehamiah :) All the athleticism in the world won't help you be a superior receiver if you can't hold onto the ball, run your routes, or have the moves (which ARE learned) to get open :grin9:

Poet

New England
08-04-2011, 09:23 PM
I dunno, there's a pretty good reason why a slow unathletic white dudes like Steve Largent and Dwight Clark were vastly superior receivers than world-class athletes Willie Gault and Renaldo Nehamiah :) All the athleticism in the world won't help you a superior receiver if you can't hold onto the ball, run your routes, or have the moves (which ARE learned) to get open :grin9:

Poet

there are obviously many skills needed to compete as a receiver in the nfl, especially at the top level where you're always getting the ball and getting more involved coverage planned around you

you gotta be tough as nails as well, physically and mentally,
you need to be willing to lay prone to grab a ball,
and able to absorb the hit if you take it
like wes welker ^^

but it's not a skillset as deep as say, a linebacker on the new england patriots, who literally runs the defense
or a quarterback like manning or brady, who rely not only on cannon arms but more importantly the work and skills developed in the pocket as a quarterback
manning calls his own plays 95 percent of the time

or boxing, what i believe to be the most skillbased // learning based of all athletic endeavors

Pessimistic
08-04-2011, 10:04 PM
GTFO here Ali wasn't the greatest athlete ever. He decided to pound sand in Mecca because of an identity crises. He's fake, an overhyped, fraud that gets to much credit just because he's a muslim ***gggit! Go change your diapers fraud! Get outta my country with Islam bs. Real men are Joe Frazier,Joe Louis, and Floyd Patterson. Oh yeah Sugar Ray Robinson of course because he would have beat your fake fraud ass Ali! You get know place among the greats with me!

Miburo
08-04-2011, 10:41 PM
He's not even the greatest athlete in the history of boxing :lol1: Certainly up there, but RJJ was the purest athlete. Ali was great because he was able to adjust and continue at the championship level after losing his athleticism.

Zocalo
08-04-2011, 10:52 PM
GTFO here Ali wasn't the greatest athlete ever. He decided to pound sand in Mecca because of an identity crises. He's fake, an overhyped, fraud that gets to much credit just because he's a muslim ***gggit! Go change your diapers fraud! Get outta my country with Islam bs. Real men are Joe Frazier,Joe Louis, and Floyd Patterson. Oh yeah Sugar Ray Robinson of course because he would have beat your fake fraud ass Ali! You get know place among the greats with me!

Um ok.......

McGoorty
08-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't think Ali was even the greatest fighter, and he is NOT better than all of them combined, do you really think that ?????????

McGoorty
08-06-2011, 02:51 PM
That's just OFF MAN,.......... OFF,...... take your hate somewhere else !!!!!!!

$BloodyNate$
08-06-2011, 02:59 PM
I think Ali is the one of the most durable athletes of all time but not the most athletic. I know Jordan wasn't taking punches but in his 30's he was still running wild down the court slammin' all kinds of crazy in his last 2 championship ring wins.

Whereas Ali was a crazy good athlete early in his career but it seems after that layoff he was more flatfooted but still with sick hands and head movement and I think the most important of all, solid rock of a freakin chin.

New England
08-06-2011, 04:26 PM
I think Ali is the one of the most durable athletes of all time but not the most athletic. I know Jordan wasn't taking punches but in his 30's he was still running wild down the court slammin' all kinds of crazy in his last 2 championship ring wins.

Whereas Ali was a crazy good athlete early in his career but it seems after that layoff he was more flatfooted but still with sick hands and head movement and I think the most important of all, solid rock of a freakin chin.

that's the punches, bro. first place they show up is the legs

and like you said, the layoff

MRBOOMER
08-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Well other then the fact this is bs I can think of boxers that top him athletically (Roy jones, mayweather, Gamboa, pacman) the list goes on he'll even Bhop is his athletic ability and preservastion of his body took him this far and his ring iq. If you wanna go into other sports you can name soccer players swimers cyclist sprinters and in some cases foot ball players that were as good a athlete if not better then Ali and ima big ali fan-_-

Ziggy Stardust
08-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Well other then the fact this is bs I can think of boxers that top him athletically (Roy jones, mayweather, Gamboa, pacman) the list goes on he'll even Bhop is his athletic ability and preservastion of his body took him this far and his ring iq.

Based on.....what exactly? Is this one of those "real athletes didn't exist until the 1990s" things?

Poet

BigStereotype
08-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Sorry, I'm gonna go with LeBron James here. I hate the hell out of him, but he's bigger than both Klitschko brothers and moves like a man half (maybe even less) his size. He's the best player in the NBA, could have easily made it as a dominant wide receiver in the NFL...he's the most finely tuned physical specimen I've ever seen. Unfortunately for him, his *****made brain can't handle the pressure.

Ziggy Stardust
08-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Sorry, I'm gonna go with LeBron James here. I hate the hell out of him, but he's bigger than both Klitschko brothers and moves like a man half (maybe even less) his size. He's the best player in the NBA, could have easily made it as a dominant wide receiver in the NFL...he's the most finely tuned physical specimen I've ever seen. Unfortunately for him, his *****made brain can't handle the pressure.

Naw, wrong physical makeup for wide reciever.....make a hell of a tight end though.

Poet

BigStereotype
08-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Naw, wrong physical makeup for wide reciever.....make a hell of a tight end though.

Poet

He was a WR in high school. But yeah, a target. Can you imagine if Peyton Manning had a 6'8 target that could run a 4.5 40 and jump like seven feet in the air? :rofl: not even fair

Ziggy Stardust
08-06-2011, 06:32 PM
He was a WR in high school. But yeah, a target. Can you imagine if Peyton Manning had a 6'8 target that could run a 4.5 40 and jump like seven feet in the air? :rofl: not even fair

Considering the number of injuries the Colts had last year maybe they should give LeBron a call :chuckle9:

Poet

BigStereotype
08-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Considering the number of injuries the Colts had last year maybe they should give LeBron a call :chuckle9:

Poet

Hell, why not? He won't be busy for a few months and maybe not the entire year. The lockout sucks...

studentofthegam
08-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Jim Brown. Greatest mix of speed and power. Two sport elitest. Followed by Bo Jackson.

New England
08-07-2011, 12:56 AM
len bias had about as much talent as anybody i've come across in any sport

he was strong, huge, and lightning quick and coordinated for a giant

did i mention strong? ^^

if the name doesn't ring a bell it was because he died of an overdose before he was able to make it to the NBA and dunk on centers and blow by point guards

ghns1133
08-07-2011, 01:23 AM
the GOAT athlete is my grandma...

***** was a beast!

McGoorty
08-07-2011, 05:46 AM
He wouldn't tackle Billy Slater either (Do I have the right sport ??), Slater would run rings around Ali. Billy The Kid Slater, Rugby League SUPERSTAR,,,,... football genius in the toughest football code of all time,...... There's a Storm brewing down Melbourne way !!!!

McGoorty
08-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Jim Brown. Greatest mix of speed and power. Two sport elitest. Followed by Bo Jackson.
JIM THORPE,..... remember him ??

McGoorty
08-07-2011, 05:51 AM
ya but was he better than Jim Thorpe? :thinking:
I missed that, Jim Thorpe, as well as Ian Thorpe and Usain Bolt is the ultimate.