View Full Version : Boxing's popularity 50 years ago?

davros2010
10-03-2011, 11:50 AM
How did the global popularity of boxing 50 years ago compare to today? In America how popular was boxing in general and how did its popularity compare with other sports around that time? I remember reading my Sonny Liston vs Floyd Patterson programme where it confidently claimed that boxing was the no1 sport in the world (when Americans say that the normally mean in their own country rather than the world). Is boxing on a terminal decline in America to minority sport status? Also what do you believe is the cause of boxingís decline in America?

JAB5239
10-03-2011, 03:49 PM
How did the global popularity of boxing 50 years ago compare to today? In America how popular was boxing in general and how did its popularity compare with other sports around that time? I remember reading my Sonny Liston vs Floyd Patterson programme where it confidently claimed that boxing was the no1 sport in the world (when Americans say that the normally mean in their own country rather than the world). Is boxing on a terminal decline in America to minority sport status? Also what do you believe is the cause of boxingís decline in America?

I can't comment about it's global popularity at that time, but it was much more popular in America than it is now. Its decline is do to multiple weight divisions, titles and day before weigh ins. All water down boxing's claim as a serious sport and its credibility is questioned because of it's lack of organization.

BennyST
10-03-2011, 06:05 PM
It's less popular across the globe. Although still reasonably good in places like Japan, Perto Rico etc, it just doesn't come close to what it once was. There are so many reasons. The corrupt nature of boxing and the greed associated with it, the lack of real champions in a division, the fact that at the lower level of the sport there is no money and the amateur game has become crap.

Too many reasons to list here. It is significantly less popular today sadly. It was, once upon a time, one of the biggest sports on earth with it's fighters recognised across the globe. Today the average Joe hasn't heard of any of it's stars unless it is associated with 50 cent, Hayden Panetiereiterrtieessgbh, and various other mainstream stars or because of outside shenanigans with the law etc.

ИATAS
10-03-2011, 08:34 PM
I hope someone remembers the numbers but 50 years ago there were something like 150 boxing gyms in NYC. There are about 3 now. That should tell you everything you need to know, at least about the popularity in America.

**those numbers are off the top of my head I don't recall the actual number**

RubenSonny
10-03-2011, 08:51 PM
I hope someone remembers the numbers but 50 years ago there were something like 150 boxing gyms in NYC. There are about 3 now. That should tell you everything you need to know, at least about the popularity in America.

**those numbers are off the top of my head I don't recall the actual number**

Also in the 1920s there were more professional boxers in NYC than there are today.

Kid McCoy
10-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I can't comment about it's global popularity at that time, but it was much more popular in America than it is now. Its decline is do to multiple weight divisions, titles and day before weigh ins. All water down boxing's claim as a serious sport and its credibility is questioned because of it's lack of organization.

Boxing is also less visible now. When was the last time you saw a fight on TV? To see a big fight now you not only have to subscribe to HBO, Sky etc, but you have to buy the PPV as well. No one except the hardcore fans are going to do that, and in the current times not even all of them will. How many people even have a boxing club near them?

There was an episode of the Simpsons where the Mike Tyson clone Dredrick Tatum declares that "I'm the heavyweight champion, as recognised by 9 of the 14 sanctioning bodies" and I think that neatly sums up how boxing is perceived by a lot of people now: a bit of a joke.

TAC602
10-03-2011, 10:57 PM
It certainly was a lot more organized and easier to track things (at least for me, from a modern historical perspective) when there were two primary sanctioning bodies: The WBA (formerly NBA) and WBC (essentially NYSAC lineage). Two is good. When they added the IBF in the 1980s, the titles were quickly fragmented in HW division before Tyson unified them; Marvin Hagler unified (given recognition) for the Middleweight and it was still managable I suppose. But then to add a FOURTH, combined with the fact that you've got several unnecessary additional weight divisions makes for a chaotic mess. Throw in the omnipresent theories and accusations of corruption, politics, promoters, majority of the sport on pay per view, a dead heavyweight division, fighters ducking each other like (seemingly) never before, etc etc. None of it is positive.

SCtrojansbaby
10-03-2011, 11:15 PM
I thought the 60s were a very down time for boxing until Ali came along?

Also globally boxing is at an all time high in Mexico, Germany and southeast Asia(Thailand Phillippines and Indonesia)

tyger
10-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Sad to see this. Another reason for the decline in the States is the absence of professional boxing on national tv over the last 25 years. Kids used to grow up wanting to be like that fighter they watched with their dads Saturday afternoon. Now their interests are elsewhere.

JAB5239
10-04-2011, 03:23 AM
Also globally boxing is at an all time high in Mexico, Germany and southeast Asia(Thailand Phillippines and Indonesia)

Im not saying you're wrong, but what are your sources for this? Germany is understandable since the collapse of the Berlin wall. Southeast Asia? Possibly considering the popularity of Pacquiao. But there have been much stronger era's for Mexican boxers and their popularity than this one, in my opinion. The early to mid 70's to the early to mid 80's was stacked with popular fighters such as Sanchez, Zarate, Napoles, Oliveras, Chavez, Castillo, Zaragoza and Saldivar and others just as an example. Im sure Scott could shed more light on this and would be interested in his opinion. Boxing in Mexico always seems to popular though no matter what era in the last 50 years.

RubenSonny
10-04-2011, 03:53 AM
I would've thought the late 80s/early 90s was when the popularity of boxing in Mexico peaked.

BennyST
10-04-2011, 03:59 AM
I thought the 60s were a very down time for boxing until Ali came along?

Boxing was huge in the '60's with and without Ali. Ali created a globally recognised figurehead as a sportsman and more in general, but it was huge just the same before he came along. Before him Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, and Floyd Patterson were all more recognisable than any fighter today to the common man. Boxing fans go and watch the fights now. Every man watched a heavyweight title fight then. It would be similar to the Super Bowl today I'm guessing.

Boxing is not at an all time high even a little bit in southeast asia or Mexico. There might be a sudden influx of young guys in the Philippines but just as Pac is a national hero today, Flash Elorde and Pancho Villa were before him of a similar stature. In Japan, Korea etc, boxing was probably at its peak in, funnily enough, the '60s. Harada was the Pacquiao of Japan, and was highly recognised over here in Australia too for his great fights with Lionel Rose and Johnny Famechon.

Boxing was considered as much a national sport here as the AFL (Aussie rules football) is now and the champions were also national hero's adored everywhere. Jimmy Carruthers, Rose, Famo, and a slew of top quality contenders and Aussie champs made the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's the highlight of Australian boxing.

The one place where it might be heading up and hopefully staying up is in the Eastern European countries. Again though, it was just as big 20 years ago in Germany as it is now.

The biggest thing though is that no matter how big it might seem today or how big we think a fight is, it will never, ever compare again to the global, widespread, mainstream sport that it used to be. Every man and his dog used to talk about the 'big fight' on the weekend. Not boxing fans, everyone.

On the sports shows, boxing took up as much airtime as any other sport. There were weekly shows dedicated to it here, rather than only on cable PPV today. It's numbers are simply incomparable and that's why it will never reach even a decent % of what it once was. Oh well....

SCtrojansbaby
10-04-2011, 04:16 AM
Im not saying you're wrong, but what are your sources for this? Germany is understandable since the collapse of the Berlin wall. Southeast Asia? Possibly considering the popularity of Pacquiao. But there have been much stronger era's for Mexican boxers and their popularity than this one, in my opinion. The early to mid 70's to the early to mid 80's was stacked with popular fighters such as Sanchez, Zarate, Napoles, Oliveras, Chavez, Castillo, Zaragoza and Saldivar and others just as an example. Im sure Scott could shed more light on this and would be interested in his opinion. Boxing in Mexico always seems to popular though no matter what era in the last 50 years.

It is not just Pacquiao in southeast Asia its Chris John and Pongsaklek Wonjongkam.

In Mexico Canelo's fights are putting up huge TV ratings, to go along with Chavez Jr the Marquez bros Margarito etc and before that you had Barrera and Morales who are after Chavez the most beloved Mexican fighters of all time and DLH was obviously HUGE. Living in Southern California boxing is king right now even more then Soccer among Mexicans.

JAB5239
10-04-2011, 04:31 AM
It is not just Pacquiao in southeast Asia its Chris John and Pongsaklek Wonjongkam.

In Mexico Canelo's fights are putting up huge TV ratings, to go along with Chavez Jr the Marquez bros Margarito etc and before that you had Barrera and Morales who are after Chavez the most beloved Mexican fighters of all time and DLH was obviously HUGE. Living in Southern California boxing is king right now even more then Soccer among Mexicans.

No offense, but none of this proves boxing is more popular and at an all time high in these places. This is only your opinion and I find it very arguable. Im not saying Im right, only that you have given no proof to support your claim.

SCtrojansbaby
10-04-2011, 08:13 AM
No offense, but none of this proves boxing is more popular and at an all time high in these places. This is only your opinion and I find it very arguable. Im not saying Im right, only that you have given no proof to support your claim.

You're right, the only way to get proof would be to have the ratings and attendance #s from 50 years ago and today.

I do think its very safe to say that with Southeast Asia having pretty clearly with Pacquiao John and Wonjongkam the 3 most popular fighters in their respective countries history.

NChristo
10-04-2011, 08:33 AM
You're right, the only way to get proof would be to have the ratings and attendance #s from 50 years ago and today.

I do think its very safe to say that with Southeast Asia having pretty clearly with Pacquiao John and Wonjongkam the 3 most popular fighters in their respective countries history.

Galaxy was far more famous then Wonjongkam is in his time, but yeh I'd agree with that especially with Pacquaio.

McGoorty
10-04-2011, 10:23 AM
You are right about America..... they were nuts about boxing. As for global, it was not wholly global,,,,,, but it's popularity in the U.K. and Australia and in Europe, Mexico and much of the rest of Latin-America was very high,.... especially Australia,..... Les Darcy lit an enormous fire and passion for the sport and was going as strong as ever in the 50's and through the 60's too. Since WW1 nearly every man and adolescent had an idea of how to wield a pair of gloves........ everybody went to the fights... names like Vic Patrick, Tommy Burns #2, George Barnes, Ron Richards, Fred Henneberry and Elley Bennett pulled massive crowds and many of them, especially Tommy Burns were as big as Hollywood A plus list idols........ The one thing that held us back was that no matter how impressive their records were, none of them could ever get a title shot in America.... the message was clear.... get out, stay out, and shut up,.... we've never heard of you. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- As a result, a national resentment built up and most Aussie boxing fans decided they'd go it on their own and by the 40's most Australian fans knew exactly who every Australian and State Champion was 100 times better known than most world champions........ I don't know how many blokes I've come across who had boxed and loved the sport who could name 500 fighters easily........ but say a name like Barney Ross or Pancho Villa or Beau jack or Ike Williams or anybody not called Sugar Ray Robinson or a heavyweight champ.... and they stare at me blankly,....... and they will say yeah I remember one American boxer, that was Freddie Dawson, he was easily the best Lightweight I ever seen..... This mike Williams bloke must have been bonza if he beat Dawson..... but I find it hard to believe!!...well things very similar to that,--------------------------------. Freddie was and still is a boxing superstar here.

SCtrojansbaby
10-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Galaxy was far more famous then Wonjongkam is in his time, but yeh I'd agree with that especially with Pacquaio.

Wonjongkam has been a champion for 10 years I don't know how it would be possible to be far more popular

paulf
10-04-2011, 11:11 PM
It's been 'on the way out' for a long, long time, but things have definitely gotten much worse since the turn of the century.

Boxing's transition to HBO/Shotime and then PPV is the main reason for it's decline in America. Boxing used to be on national television, just like NBA and NFL. Even when I was a kid (mid 90s) we had USA's Tuesday Night Fights (GREAT cards), and other televised boxing formats that are long gone now.

Also, as often mentioned by the Ricardo on The Boxing Truth radio show; back in the 80s and 90s when someone couldn't afford HBO and wanted to see the fights, they got the "black box." It would illegally give you HBO, Showtime, ect for free. It was simple, easy to acquire, and widespread. When I got to school on Monday, and I grew up in a super poor area, all the kids had seen the latest fights.

Basically, boxing in America has way less fans than ever paying far more than ever to see the sport. As Dana White has unfortuneately said many times; everyone involved in the sport just takes, takes, takes. They never look to grow the sport or build it's future. They don't care that they're destroying the sport.

Boxing as a worldwide sport is strong and growing in many countries, but Boxing as a major sport in America is fast becoming a thing of the past.

SCtrojansbaby
10-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Boxing was huge in the '60's with and without Ali. Ali created a globally recognised figurehead as a sportsman and more in general, but it was huge just the same before he came along. Before him Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, and Floyd Patterson were all more recognisable than any fighter today to the common man.

Correct me if I am wrong but Maciano and Louis never fought in the 60s. I highly doubt Floyd Patterson was more recognizable then Pacquiao Floyd or the Klitschkos.

Boxing was certainly bigger in america back then but from what I have been told the 60s before Ali had drought of box office stars.

JAB5239
10-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but Maciano and Louis never fought in the 60s. I highly doubt Floyd Patterson was more recognizable then Pacquiao Floyd or the Klitschkos.

Boxing was certainly bigger in america back then but from what I have been told the 60s before Ali had drought of box office stars.

Who told you that?

Rockin'
10-05-2011, 02:03 AM
Boxing was thriving up until the prosecution of the I.B.C. After their underhanded dealings were made public the world believed then that boxing is crooked or fixed and that anybody in the game was shady or crooked.

It wasn't until the 60's when Ali came upon the scene that boxing was getting back to business. But even with Ali there were still scandolous accusations.

Television killed the local club bouts, The I.B.C killed the average guys trust towards boxing. And now we have 4-6 champions per weight division and people still believe that it's all rigged and the world of boxing seems to be continually shooting itself in the foot.

What we need is only one commision and one champion per weight division. The boxing world would then need a trust worthy commisioner to keep everything on the up and up in hopes of winning back the trust of the public that has been missing for the last 50 years.

If everybody in the game worked together to build a prospering and trustworthy world of boxing we would be much better off.

But the boxing world remains overly segmented with too many people trying to pull the game in too many different directions at once.

If we had one champion per division it might light up the local shows where good fighters would have to fight and beat other good fighters just to be considered for a title shot..........Rockin':boxing:

SCtrojansbaby
10-05-2011, 05:09 AM
Who told you that?

I've heard boxing people say the sport was controlled by the mob and lacked big time box office stars

davros2010
10-05-2011, 05:43 AM
I've heard boxing people say the sport was controlled by the mob and lacked big time box office stars

Boxing did take a bit of a hit with the IBC thing but boxing was still massive back then many sports have had scandals though. Floyd Patterson was actually a massive star in America, Howard Cosell said during the second Ali vs Patterson fight that Patterson was one of the most popular America sportsmen of the last 20 years. Ingemar Johansson after his win over Patterson won Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year and Sports Illustrated magazine's "Sportsman of the Year". Patterson was more recognised in America than Pacquiao Floyd or the Klitschkos are today imo.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p5gOV-T1iO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BennyST
10-05-2011, 10:44 AM

He most definitely was. Does the average Joe recognise Shaquill O'Neill, Roger Federer, David Beckham or Micahel Jordan more than Floyd, Klits or Pac? I'd say an emphatic yes. Back when boxing was a big and mainstream sport, it was seen by the average Joe every week and its biggest champs were known by face alone. Floyd Patternson was a big sporting star and was much more well known in the mainstream than any of those listen above simply because of the widespread nature of the sport then.

No, they didn't fight in the 60's. I was talking about the boxing stars in general in the earlier decades too.

SplitSecond
10-05-2011, 10:54 AM
It's been 'on the way out' for a long, long time, but things have definitely gotten much worse since the turn of the century.

Boxing's transition to HBO/Shotime and then PPV is the main reason for it's decline in America. Boxing used to be on national television, just like NBA and NFL. Even when I was a kid (mid 90s) we had USA's Tuesday Night Fights (GREAT cards), and other televised boxing formats that are long gone now.

Also, as often mentioned by the Ricardo on The Boxing Truth radio show; back in the 80s and 90s when someone couldn't afford HBO and wanted to see the fights, they got the "black box." It would illegally give you HBO, Showtime, ect for free. It was simple, easy to acquire, and widespread. When I got to school on Monday, and I grew up in a super poor area, all the kids had seen the latest fights.

Basically, boxing in America has way less fans than ever paying far more than ever to see the sport. As Dana White has unfortuneately said many times; everyone involved in the sport just takes, takes, takes. They never look to grow the sport or build it's future. They don't care that they're destroying the sport.

Boxing as a worldwide sport is strong and growing in many countries, but Boxing as a major sport in America is fast becoming a thing of the past.
i really hate that i always seem to come across UFC(championship fights none the less) on tv everynight but never boxing

it's sad and dissapointing

wmute
10-05-2011, 11:17 AM
I think that between Marciano and Ali the sport was at a low relative to before and after, but in much better shape than it is today (at least in the US). I think in SE asia it is pretty high and it certainly is in the former communist countries. Problem is that the depth of knowledge accumulated in the US gyms through the last century is most likely going to vanish.

davros2010
10-05-2011, 11:41 AM
i really hate that i always seem to come across UFC(championship fights none the less) on tv everynight but never boxing

Thankfully in the UK there is not much UFC on mainstream and none of the news channels cover it. I dont get why people like it tbh i dont like wrestling or mauling and boxing is much better to visually to watch, but thats just me and a different subject.

davros2010
10-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Problem is that the depth of knowledge accumulated in the US gyms through the last century is most likely going to vanish.

I think thatís one of the big problems it seems that many of the trainers donít have the knowledge past down to them like before. I mean look at Adam Booth he trained David Haye and you can tell that Haye had a lot of natural talent but he seriously lacks a lot of fundamental skills. Manny Stewart said that the two of them were like a bunch of novices and i pretty much agree with that.

I would love for Mike Tyson to be able to settle down a bit his depth of knowledge of the game would come in really handy to some of these young fighters, Mike Perez is very crude imo but imagine if Mike Tyson trained him for a few years and got him to work hard i think he would really improve.

McGoorty
10-05-2011, 12:35 PM

As usual, you are barking up the wrong tree as usual....... You may be close as far as East Asia goes,,,,, but as I said, George Bracken or George Barnes or the great Jack Carroll and especially Vic Patrick and Burns were superstars here...... and there has never been any more famous and loved as Darcy in Australia... He is the boxing mega-star of our history. --------------------------- In the USA and Britain, you are also way off track,..... boxing in those places was 25 times bigger..... stop looking at the neon signs of Vegas and get real.

GJC
10-05-2011, 12:43 PM
I think that between Marciano and Ali the sport was at a low relative to before and after, but in much better shape than it is today (at least in the US). I think in SE asia it is pretty high and it certainly is in the former communist countries. Problem is that the depth of knowledge accumulated in the US gyms through the last century is most likely going to vanish.
Think it was just a matter that we had some huge names such as Charles, Moore, SRR, Pep etc fade away. Guys like that are bound to leave a void, also post war and 50s most entertainment was booming.

Ziggy Stardust
10-05-2011, 01:24 PM
As usual, you are barking up the wrong tree as usual....... You may be close as far as East Asia goes,,,,, but as I said, George Bracken or George Barnes or the great Jack Carroll and especially Vic Patrick and Burns were superstars here...... and there has never been any more famous and loved as Darcy in Australia... He is the boxing mega-star of our history. --------------------------- In the USA and Britain, you are also way off track,..... boxing in those places was 25 times bigger..... stop looking at the neon signs of Vegas and get real.

Back then fights in the US used to sell out Yankee stadium. These days Floyd Mayweather can't sell out the seating equivalent of a high school gym. PPV numbers? PPV viewership is miniscule next to the number of people who used to watch boxing on free TV. CBS and NBC had weekly fight cards ffs.

Poet

Rockin'
10-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Back then fights in the US used to sell out Yankee stadium. These days Floyd Mayweather can't sell out the seating equivalent of a high school gym. PPV numbers? PPV viewership is miniscule next to the number of people who used to watch boxing on free TV. CBS and NBC had weekly fight cards ffs.

Poet

television killed the club shows..........Rockin':boxing:

wmute
10-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Think it was just a matter that we had some huge names such as Charles, Moore, SRR, Pep etc fade away. Guys like that are bound to leave a void, also post war and 50s most entertainment was booming.

Charles was never a big name unfortunately, not on the scale of others. That being said, it was a particularly bad slump because of the IBC scandal which I think became public sometimes 53-55 (please experts correct me), and kept going and getting worse for a while.

SCtrojansbaby
10-05-2011, 02:57 PM
He most definitely was. Does the average Joe recognise Shaquill O'Neill, Roger Federer, David Beckham or Micahel Jordan more than Floyd, Klits or Pac? I'd say an emphatic yes.

MJ is for sure but everybody else I would say no.

Who said anything about Australia or the UK?

Also I know Danny Green's fight with Tarver did pretty well over there and I know Mundine has a pretty big following(mostly as villian I would suppose).

paulf
10-06-2011, 09:00 PM

And that's why the new generation is embracing UFC and not Boxing. I mean, it's completely unrealistic to think that boxing is going to continue to be a relevant major American sport when so few people have access to the fights?

Think about how massive the NFL or NBA's popularity would shrink if the playoffs and Superbowl/Finals were on PPV. Or what if the games were only on HBO?

You wouldn't have kids walking around wearing Lebron and Favre jerseys. It would be a fringe sport just like boxing is becoming.

McGoorty
10-07-2011, 01:35 AM

Poet
Very true my freind, and as a fella who can't afford Pay per View, it's always about catching up.... and youtube is a minefield for trying to find a decent video.

McGoorty
10-07-2011, 01:47 AM
MJ is for sure but everybody else I would say no.

Who said anything about Australia or the UK?

Also I know Danny Green's fight with Tarver did pretty well over there and I know Mundine has a pretty big following(mostly as villian I would suppose).
The title of the thread implies the world,.... not just where you come from, where did you think we were talking about ???. And you are wrong in your address to the other poster,.. Those other names are bigger and so is Shane Warne,.... yes him, the next Mr. Elizabeth Hurley......... Maybe big-time boxers should hook up with a Hollywood star more often,... And Warney is regarded by 3 quarters of the world as the greatest spin bowler to ever live, so now you know who he is.......... and as usual you are barking up the wrong tree, I wish an Aussie Drop-Bear would maul you (drop-bears do exist, just that nobodies ever caught one on film.... they are transparent and 24 feet tall and weigh 3 and a half ton, and they don't like trolls.),..... they live up trees BTW.

McGoorty
10-07-2011, 02:06 AM
And that's why the new generation is embracing UFC and not Boxing. I mean, it's completely unrealistic to think that boxing is going to continue to be a relevant major American sport when so few people have access to the fights?

Think about how massive the NFL or NBA's popularity would shrink if the playoffs and Superbowl/Finals were on PPV. Or what if the games were only on HBO?

You wouldn't have kids walking around wearing Lebron and Favre jerseys. It would be a fringe sport just like boxing is becoming.
I agree with that,, and the wording was perfect. The same would happen here to Rugby League if it became totally Pay-per-View, Australian rules football would take over my entire country, Rules is a game I can't stand (no real NSW or QLD'er could ever watch that, we are Rugby League country). Even free TV has a devastating effect on sport attendances, the RL record attendance in Australia was way back in the 60's... and in boxing worldwide, the world record attendance was for the Dempsey V Capentier,....... back in the early 20's..... almost One Hundred years ago. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The U.F.C. ??... Man I'd hate to see boxing go that way. One single man, a GIANT egotist, has ALL the power in the sport, if boxing ever descended to that fate it would be the total pits. Imagine Dana White as the be-all and end-all in boxing, --------- A Mayweather or a Pacquiao have ANY DISAGREEMENT whatsoever with this dude and it's goodbye,.... never seen or heard of again, we'd see a "World Champion" who is a pretender at all times. Just think of all those HW's who were called UFC World Champion while Fedor Emilianenko was frozen out (because he wanted to be paid properly for his status)............. Fedor is the unquestioned P4P GOAT of all MMA. But if you listen to that White sh1thead, Fedor is a complete nobody. A Dana White in boxing would see only Brown-noser's and Sh1tlickers,.... any real men will be playing Rugby League..... the toughest team sport on the planet, with a major injury rate 10 times worse than boxing or MMA. -------- To the Pommy's...... is Wigan going to win the Superleague yet again ????

SCtrojansbaby
10-07-2011, 03:23 AM
The title of the thread implies the world,.... not just where you come from, where did you think we were talking about ???. And you are wrong in your address to the other poster,.. Those other names are bigger and so is Shane Warne,.... yes him, the next Mr. Elizabeth Hurley......... Maybe big-time boxers should hook up with a Hollywood star more often,... And Warney is regarded by 3 quarters of the world as the greatest spin bowler to ever live, so now you know who he is.......... and as usual you are barking up the wrong tree, I wish an Aussie Drop-Bear would maul you (drop-bears do exist, just that nobodies ever caught one on film.... they are transparent and 24 feet tall and weigh 3 and a half ton, and they don't like trolls.),..... they live up trees BTW.

You quoted me and told me I was wrong and I said nothing about the UK or Australia in the post

McGoorty
10-07-2011, 03:50 AM
You quoted me and told me I was wrong so I never said any thing about the UK or Australia
O.K. but which countries were you talking about.... only Asia may be stronger now, but in the states boxing was astronomically bigger 50 years ago,....... but it was even bigger in the 20's..... have you ever seen that awesome aerial photo of Dempsey V Carpentier ??