10-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Whats your take on him?

SCtrojansbaby
10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Great fighter but doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame

Pastrano
10-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Great fighter but doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame

I disagree 100%. He nearly beat a prime CAMACHO! I scored that fight a draw, but it coulda been scored in Chapo's favor too. Plus he destroyed the very skilled Bramble in 2 rounds, something nobody else did before or since. Also knocked out the annoying but elusive Loreto Garza, who beat Vinny Paz and Juan Martin Coggi.

SCtrojansbaby
10-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I disagree 100%. He nearly beat a prime CAMACHO! I scored that fight a draw, but it coulda been scored in Chapo's favor too. Plus he destroyed the very skilled Bramble in 2 rounds, something nobody else did before or since. Also knocked out the annoying but elusive Loreto Garza, who beat Vinny Paz and Juan Martin Coggi.

So a close loss and wins over Bramble and Garva = HOF

crold1
10-02-2011, 08:15 PM
For once I agree with SCT and, had voting occurred under current top 3 (instead of top 5) rules, not sure he gets in. Rosario was fun but up and down as a fighter and less accomplished than many men who linger on the ballot. I don't think almost beating "prime" Camacho is worth as much as Pastrano does. I always thought Macho was heavily overrated.

JAB5239
10-03-2011, 04:48 AM
So a close loss and wins over Bramble and Garva = HOF

Makes about as much sense as calling Sumbu Kalambay an all time great. :dunno:

JAB5239
10-03-2011, 04:59 AM
For once I agree with SCT and, had voting occurred under current top 3 (instead of top 5) rules, not sure he gets in. Rosario was fun but up and down as a fighter and less accomplished than many men who linger on the ballot. I don't think almost beating "prime" Camacho is worth as much as Pastrano does. I always thought Macho was heavily overrated.

At that point in his career Camacho was dazzling as a fighter. His entire career may be over rated, but in my opinion up until he moved to 140 he would have been a threat to many greats at 130 and 135.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/mDed-70Wsnw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/mDed-70Wsnw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Rockin'
10-03-2011, 05:19 AM
El Chappo was one tough guy. I still believe that Rosario won that bout against Camacho. Aswell I believe that Rosario essentialy ruined Camacho, he would never engage in combat as he did before facing Rosario. After his bout with Rosario Camacho was pitty-pat and run away. Rosario was impressive in stopping Bramble but I wouldn't consider him H.O.F material.........Rockin':boxing:

crold1
10-03-2011, 08:59 AM
At that point in his career Camacho was dazzling as a fighter. His entire career may be over rated, but in my opinion up until he moved to 140 he would have been a threat to many greats at 130 and 135.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/mDed-70Wsnw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/mDed-70Wsnw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I'm not so sure. Character counts and I think Camacho lacked it in the ring (not talking about his antics...his will to win under real fire). He had a good chin and would have survived a lot of beatings, but I can't see him beating a prime Arguello or Nelson; Chavez beats him at any weight. Camacho beat some good fighters but was carefully handled and I never saw him beat a still "G"reat one; the few he fought beat the hell out of him (granting that was 140 and up where he was already slipped but, still, not even competitive). I'm not sure Camacho could have beaten Roger Mayweather, who was HELL on anyone who couldn't stop him.

New England
10-03-2011, 09:20 AM

a boxer that fast and that skilled with a granite chin is a nightmare for anybody. long night.

i actually feel he is underrated. maybe not his body of work, but his favorability H2H

but of course that depends entirely on who you are talking to, and not the fighter necessarily

Pastrano
10-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Bak to the topic, I think there was something with Rosario that didn't let him stay champ for too long. I know he had alcohol and drug problems...he was in rehab after he retired and before his last, sadly shortlasting comeback. I mean, he lost to this Akinobu Hiranaka in 1 round, the guy was a nobody. But that was at 140. Still doesn't make an excuse. How do you go from stopping Loreto Garza in 3 then getting blown out in 1 by Hiranaka?!? And he also beat Juan Nazario by TKO8, only to lose to him the same way in the rematch.

He was inconsistent it seems. If he had been more consistent, I believe he'd even beat Chavez. What he showed in that Camacho fight is that he had enough to become THE MAN. Rest in peace Chapo.

crold1
10-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Bak to the topic, I think there was something with Rosario that didn't let him stay champ for too long. I know he had alcohol and drug problems...he was in rehab after he retired and before his last, sadly shortlasting comeback. I mean, he lost to this Akinobu Hiranaka in 1 round, the guy was a nobody. But that was at 140. Still doesn't make an excuse. How do you go from stopping Loreto Garza in 3 then getting blown out in 1 by Hiranaka?!? And he also beat Juan Nazario by TKO8, only to lose to him the same way in the rematch.

He was inconsistent it seems. If he had been more consistent, I believe he'd even beat Chavez. What he showed in that Camacho fight is that he had enough to become THE MAN. Rest in peace Chapo.

Dude, he would have struggled with Chavez if he had a gun. He gave one of his great performances, hit Chavez with EVERYTHING, and Chavez walked through him. Different classes of scrapper all together.

Pastrano
10-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Dude, he would have struggled with Chavez if he had a gun. He gave one of his great performances, hit Chavez with EVERYTHING, and Chavez walked through him. Different classes of scrapper all together.

BS! That was by no means a great performance. Had the Rosario from the Camacho fight shown up, I guarantee you Chavez would have to go thru HELL to win. And its not certain that he would win.

crold1
10-03-2011, 12:12 PM
BS! That was by no means a great performance. Had the Rosario from the Camacho fight shown up, I guarantee you Chavez would have to go thru HELL to win. And its not certain that he would win.

What? The won who lands a bomb and makes the fight interesting? He landed those same shots on JCC and they got shrugged off. Rosario was boxing well early, going to the body...nothing mattered. Chavez was a great fighter who walked through Rosario's fire and blew him up. Rosario and Chavez could have fought 100 times, both in their primes, and Chavez ain't losing once. How much better could he have been? He was on the best run of his whole career coming into Chavez.

The difference wasn't "Rosario from the Camacho fight." It was who Rosario was fighting, period.

Scott9945
10-03-2011, 07:56 PM

After seeing that fight, I wouldn't ever pick Rosario to beat JCC. It wasn't that Rosario was that bad, it was that Chavez was that good. It was a brilliant performance, one of the best I've ever seen.

Dynamite76
10-06-2011, 02:38 PM
I thought Rosario was the bomb at one point, very good skills, mags were hyping him up, and after the Edwin Viruet fight, changed his style, and though he achieved sucess, never got to the promise many thought he would get to.

Pastrano
10-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I thought Rosario was the bomb at one point, very good skills, mags were hyping him up, and after the Edwin Viruet fight, changed his style, and though he achieved sucess, never got to the promise many thought he would get to.

I read that it was because he drank and did drugs. Its usually the explanation when a boxer performs like a future HOFer in one fight and then in the next gets blasted away by some B- fighter.

TopVillain
10-07-2011, 03:08 AM
drug addict who's claim to fame is getting his ass handed by a legend.

JAB5239
10-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Now, now, I'd say he was just a wee bit better than that.

Scott9945
10-07-2011, 05:14 PM

In other words, you never saw him fight. :nono: