View Full Version : History Section: If David Haye Does Retire How Do You Rate His Legacy?

Perfect Plex
09-30-2011, 11:06 PM
He is due to retire in a few weeks time and while nothing is certain, lets say he does.

How do you rate his legacies & acievements? ATG Puncher? ATG Cruiserweight? Etc?

Achievements
World Silver Medalalist Amatuer World Championships 2001
-WBC,WBA,WBO Cruiserweight Champion.(Lineal Champion)
-WBA Heavyweight Champion

Notable Wins
Giacobbe Fragomeni, Jean Marc Mormeck, Enzo Maccarinelli, Nikolay Valuev John Ruiz.

young_robbed
09-30-2011, 11:07 PM
to be honest he doesn't rate at all

Perfect Plex
09-30-2011, 11:09 PM

What do you mean. Dosent every champion have to rate somewere?

Am no big Haye fan. But he was lineal Cruiserweight Champion & WBA Heavyweight Champion which is no easy feat.

New England
09-30-2011, 11:18 PM
he pisses me off. the guy is literally a con artist.
popular boxers are generally good for the sport buy haye rips his fans off consistently.

no way he's a hall of famer
not a great fighter

certainly a tough nut to crack for most CW's with his size and handspeed and punching power. decent footspeed as well. never had a good chin, CW or otherwise, which is generally the most important attribute when matching historic level big men (who will be able to hit each other)
but CW is the weakest division in boxing historically, so that doesn't mean a ton

evander holyfield, for example, would knock him out. i have no doubts.

his heavyweight accomplishments don't mean much to me either

i think ruiz would take him in his prime, and he was nothing to write home about anyway.
he fought fraudley !! what an awful fight that was!
nikolay valuev is friggin nikolay valuev, and haye still threw almost no punches.
even barrett touched him up

and then he laid an egg against wladimir in what should have been the biggest night of his life. he promptly blamed his little toe, and after a few months on a beach he calls out vitali

guy is a con artist

Scott9945
09-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Haye would rate very highly on an overhyped/underachiever list.

Perfect Plex
09-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Haye would rate very highly on an overhyped/underachiever list.

Do you belive he was a underachiever?

Scott9945
09-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Do you belive he was a underachiever?

Absolutely. He appeared to be naturally gifted and did very little with it. The Klitschko fight speaks for itself. And his effort in the Valuev fight was pathetic.

Perfect Plex
09-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Absolutely. He appeared to be naturally gifted and did very little with it. The Klitschko fight speaks for itself. And his effort in the Valuev fight was pathetic.

I agree when he turned it on his speed & power were always extremly impressive.

Kid McCoy
09-30-2011, 11:36 PM
A decent ABC champion. I thought Mormeck was a very good win, back when Haye was actually a fighter. But he'll now mostly be remembered for the Wlad fiasco after 3 years of boasting as if he were Mike Tyson and George Foreman rolled into one. And doing for the sore toe what David Beckham did for the broken metatarsal. He'd probably make it onto a top 10 cruiserweight list, but as that division's history is hardly overflowing with talent, that's not really saying much.

JAB5239
10-01-2011, 08:04 AM
A decent ABC champion. I thought Mormeck was a very good win, back when Haye was actually a fighter. But he'll now mostly be remembered for the Wlad fiasco after 3 years of boasting as if he were Mike Tyson and George Foreman rolled into one. And doing for the sore toe what David Beckham did for the broken metatarsal. He'd probably make it onto a top 10 cruiserweight list, but as that division's history is hardly overflowing with talent, that's not really saying much.

Good to see you posting Kid! Your knowledge and insight have been missed.

The Surgeon
10-01-2011, 08:23 AM
He will be remembered less fondly than Naz for how he went out! Haye had the nation behind him, now? He's a laughing stock. I dont think he will retire on this note, surely not....

As a CW his speed, agility, bone crushing power and size make him one of the best the division ever saw but its thin pickings really, CW has never been a glamour division and i think guys like Evander and Qawi stop him.

As a HW he won a strap, that deserves some sort of respect but everybody knows its a diluted title and Klitchko is/was the real Champ

Haye was blessed with physical gifts and charisma, he showed balls by fighting for titles away from home and winning them too. Coming up though never a volume puncher he was very exciting due to his vulnerability, fight ending power and risk taking attitude. However he never fought nearly often enough and on some of his biggest nights fought too cautiously and never let his hands go nearly enough making for dull fights. His trash talking got the fans interested whether u liked him or not but its the type of thing u need to back up, when u hear him criticizing the Klitchko brothers and guys like Adamek now u just want him to shut up and stop embarrassing himself. The night of the Wlad fight was a shambles, he ruined the production and fought a poor fight but then he REALLY took a sledgehammer to his credibility and lost a boat load of fans - me included - by getting that little toe out and blaming it! That single act did serious damage to his legacy and credibility

IronDanHamza
10-01-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't know where he ranks.

Outside the Top 5,000?

I don't know.

Kid McCoy
10-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Good to see you posting Kid! Your knowledge and insight have been missed.

Thanks Jab, it's good to be back!

ghns1133
10-01-2011, 03:04 PM
one of the all time letdowns

SBleeder
10-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Maybe a top 10 cruiserweight... not even a top 50 heavyweight.

Not even close to ATG status.

Scott9945
10-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Maybe a top 10 cruiserweight... not even a top 50 heavyweight.

Not even close to ATG status.

I agree. It would be hard to come up with ten better cruiserweights than Haye.

Mugwump
10-01-2011, 04:39 PM
It won't be long before Haye disappears without trace into the mist of history. Despite some success at Crusier he flunked the heavies. Never defined himself against noteworthy opposition. A modest record.

If anything he'll be remembered more for the hype. Indeed, Haye seems more like a celebrity than a fighter.

BKM-2010
10-01-2011, 05:11 PM
One of the greatest Cruiserweights ever, and I'm not saying that's an absolutely incredible accomplishment.

fitefanSHO
10-01-2011, 05:24 PM
His legacy? A absolute dog in his last fight. :grumble:

Marshall89
10-01-2011, 05:41 PM
I don't rate his legacy at all right now. He said before the fight with Wlad dat that fight would make or break either of their legacies, n it did, it broke Haye's!
He's got no reason to retire if he wants to be a legend. He was only Cruiserweight World champ for one or two fights and then moved to Heavyweight where he had a title shot in his second fight, then he wanted to retire after 3 defences....... No
Maybe if he rocks Vitali, but he just wants fast fame and money, n dats it....... Unfortunately

crold1
10-01-2011, 08:11 PM
He is due to retire in a few weeks time and while nothing is certain, lets say he does.

How do you rate his legacies & acievements? ATG Puncher? ATG Cruiserweight? Etc?

Achievements
World Silver Medalalist Amatuer World Championships 2001
-WBC,WBA,WBO Cruiserweight Champion.(Lineal Champion)
-WBA Heavyweight Champion

Notable Wins
Giacobbe Fragomeni, Jean Marc Mormeck, Enzo Maccarinelli, Nikolay Valuev John Ruiz.

He's one of the more accomplished cruisers, for what that's worth. Everyone doesn't have a 'legacy' and the word is sort of ridiculous in the way its used in sport theses days. Most fighters, and athletes, are forgotten as time goes on outside of hardcore circles. Only a relative handful leave a legacy that anyone really discusses.

As of today, Haye is highly unlikely to be one.

jaded
10-01-2011, 09:06 PM
no one will remember him at all

young_robbed
10-02-2011, 12:37 PM
What do you mean. Dosent every champion have to rate somewere?

Am no big Haye fan. But he was lineal Cruiserweight Champion & WBA Heavyweight Champion which is no easy feat.

No not every champ has to rate.

im not getting into this but haye is trash and will always be trash

BKM-2010
10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Haye should get a bit more respect as a fighter especially in this section. The guy is like 210 pounds. He's the same size as most of the old legendary heavyweights, and he's one of the top guys in todays era, supposedly the 'new breed of giant heavyweights'.

Scott9945
10-02-2011, 08:46 PM
He's a top 5, perhaps top 4 heavyweight. He would have struggled against Ali, Louis and Marciano I think, but he's better than Johnson, Tunney and Depsey, and light years ahead of guys like Lewis, Holyfield, Charles, Frazier, Foreman, etc.

At cruiserweight, he's not even top 100. Because unlike the historically weak heavyweight divsion, cruiserweight is STACKED, and Haye simply can't compete with the remarkable talents of Johnny Nelson, Danny Green, Wayne Braithwaite, Enzo Maccarinelli and about a thousand other great champions.

So who is going to take the bait? :D

Growth
10-03-2011, 02:10 AM
He's a top 5, perhaps top 4 heavyweight. He would have struggled against Ali, Louis and Marciano I think, but he's better than Johnson, Tunney and Depsey, and light years ahead of guys like Lewis, Holyfield, Charles, Frazier, Foreman, etc.

At cruiserweight, he's not even top 100. Because unlike the historically weak heavyweight divsion, cruiserweight is STACKED, and Haye simply can't compete with the remarkable talents of Johnny Nelson, Danny Green, Wayne Braithwaite, Enzo Maccarinelli and about a thousand other great champions.

Top 5 at heavyweight? Not even top five from the Uk as I see it, and I was a fan.

The Surgeon
10-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Top 5 at heavyweight? Not even top five from the Uk as I see it, and I was a fan.

Hook Line and Sinker! :smashfrea

Marchegiano
10-03-2011, 05:14 PM

I agree, **** david. In the 2,000 plus years we've been punching each other in the face we've gathered a massive amount of name worth remembering. Haye is not one....**** david haye.

davros2010
10-03-2011, 05:29 PM
David Haye's technique has looked worse and worse most likley due to a lack of activity. Against Wlad he couldnt double or triple up on the jab his footwork was a mess dreadfull work rate. he has natural talent but needs a much better trainer and better conditioning.

davros2010
10-03-2011, 05:43 PM
There are plenty of 190lb's i would pick over Haye.

DarkTerror88
10-03-2011, 05:45 PM
What legacy?

tyger
10-04-2011, 01:04 AM
I question if Haye with those titles would be thought of better in time than Bruno?

JAB5239
10-04-2011, 02:38 AM
I question if Haye with those titles would be thought of better in time than Bruno?

Bruno is certainly a more accomplished heavyweight who at least made a go of it against his toughest opponents. I have little respect for a guy who talks the talk but doesn't even attempt to walk the walk in his biggest fight.

Ziggy Stardust
10-04-2011, 09:17 AM

Bruno might not have been the most talented fighter to come down the pike but he had something titles can't buy: Class.

Poet