View Full Version : "What's my name?" Ernie terrel got what he deserved from Muhammad Ali

Dempsey 1919
10-26-2005, 10:23 PM
When Ali pummeled Ernie Terrel into submission in 1967, the press was attacking Ali for what he did. And in addition to the whole Vietnam thing, Ali was made out to be some kind of heartless monster.

But the fact is that before the fight Terrel refused to call Ali by his name. He insisted on calling him Cassius Clay, when in fact most people called him by his newly acquired muslim name. Even the fightcards called him Ali! What Terrel did was wrong, and he disrespected and humiliated not only Ali, but all muslims. Ali afterwards told him and the press that he was going to punish him mercilessly and make him say his real name. In that case, criticizing him after the fight doesn't make sense, since he said he was going to do it anyway. What the press should have been talking about was the multiple fouls Terrel committed during the fight. He was hitting him behind the head (rabbit punching), holding him and hitting him at the same time, and hitting him on the break all illegal and subject to the deduction of points. In and interview with Howard Cosell on ABC not long after the fight, Muhammad Ali apologized for talking to Terrel throughout the fight, and saying "what's my name" then hitting him. However he said he did it so Terrel and other people would respect his religious beliefs. Terrel ended up saying "Muhammad Ali", and rightfully so.

The bottom line is that Ernie Terrel got what was coming to him in my opinion. What do you think?

legend_killer
10-26-2005, 11:20 PM
This was definitely not the only time Ali was playing mind games with his opponent. Before the first fight with Sonny Liston, Cassius Clay (as he was then known) labelled him a "big ugly bear". Clay even drove to Liston's house in the middle of the night and set a "bear trap" on the lawn, challenging him to take him on right there. This enraged Liston and he promised to drive his fist down Clay's throat.

Even more amusing was the weigh-in. Clay screamed at Liston "I'm the champ and you're the tramp!" He then lunged at Liston like he was going to attack him. Everyone thought Clay was crazy, but the doctors that inspected him revealed his pulse was fine. Clay had Sonny believing that he was crazy and completely psyched him out. Obviously the result of the fight was further proof of this, as Liston refused to come out for the 7th round. That was Ali at his finest! Like his tactics or not, they proved successful.

wmute
10-27-2005, 03:34 AM
Even more amusing was the weigh-in. Clay screamed at Liston "I'm the champ and you're the tramp!" He then lunged at Liston like he was going to attack him. Everyone thought Clay was crazy, but the doctors that inspected him revealed his pulse was fine. Clay had Sonny believing that he was crazy and completely psyched him out. Obviously the result of the fight was further proof of this, as Liston refused to come out for the 7th round. That was Ali at his finest! Like his tactics or not, they proved successful.

I think the story goes like they check his pulse which is rushing and ali later on (way later on) reveals its because he was scared of liston and behaved like a madman for the same reason... pure genius on his part anyways!

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 11:44 AM
yeah, ali used to mess with your mind. i mean if your mind isnt into it, you lose the fight before you actually enter the ring

Dempsey 1919
10-29-2005, 12:08 PM
these are some nice posts. however, i wan't to know what you think of ali taunting terrel in the ring. that wasn't a scare tactic. that was pure anger. was it right for him to hold him up and keep from knocking him out to punish him for 15 rounds?

Skydog
10-29-2005, 01:13 PM
There was one man's mind that Ali tried to mess with, which ended up to be the reason he lost. Joe Frazier. Ali called Joe ugly, stupid, and isolated him from the black community. This filled Joe with a red-eyed hatred and ferocity that drive him to beating Muhammad, "The Greatest", for the first time.

Nowadays, when asked about Ali's condition, Joe says "I hate him. No matter what they say, I hate him. After all he has said to me, made me feel, made everyone else feel about me, I hate him. Yea, I will proudly take the blame for making him the way he is right now. But I still do pray to God everynight to take care of Muhammad Ali."

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 01:45 PM
well you can't blame the man for hating him, i mean look what ali put him through, he was the 1 man ali always went beyond the 'limit' with.

Ernie terrel called ali clay because he accused ali of calling him an 'uncle tom'.

Dempsey 1919
10-29-2005, 02:18 PM
well you can't blame the man for hating him, i mean look what ali put him through, he was the 1 man ali always went beyond the 'limit' with.

Ernie terrel called ali clay because he accused ali of calling him an 'uncle tom'.
you have this mixed up. ali called terrel an uncle tom because terrel called ali clay. and terrel called him clay because he was egged on by some racist reporters to call him that, because THEY called him that. but those cowards only called him that because they didn't have to get into the ring with him. terrel did. but he should have respected the man's religion and called him by his name. terrel brought the punishment in the ring on himself.

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 02:24 PM
ok, he had it coming to him nevertheless, after they retired ali helped terrell out of some deep ****

habZ
10-29-2005, 02:28 PM
I can rememebr Ali shouting to him 'What's my name?' in the ring whilst fighting. This one fight you could tell he was pissed off.

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 02:30 PM
you could tell from his facial expression.... Terrell was meant to be his hardest fight yet

KidBlackie
10-30-2005, 08:41 AM
[[[In and interview with Howard Cosell on ABC not long after the fight, Muhammad Ali apologized for talking to Terrel throughout the fight, and saying "what's my name" then hitting him. However he said he did it so Terrel and other people would respect his religious beliefs. Terrel ended up saying "Muhammad Ali", and rightfully so]]]
===========================

Kid, obviously you've chosen Ali as a idol and role model and certainly he set an good example for a lot of folks, but he also POed plenty and had a pretty healthy selfish and cruel side to him that his idolaters tend to ignore.

Terrell and Ali were longtime friends who had trained a bit with each other and travelled together. The whole name thing was nothing but a promotional gimmick that Ali was using back then, nothing more.

Part of Ali's bad side was that he was incredibly cruel in the ring back then, accused of carrying injured Patterson and Terrell for his amusement. Basically boxers usually have a gentlemen's credo about injured fighters which he broke. Terrell ripped up his eyeball early in the fight on the ropes and was seeing double and triple during the bout. Ali should've KOed him or eased up instead of propping him up to punish and humiliate in the ring.

If you want to look to Ali as an example, then you should understand he wasn't the brightest guy around, and converted to NOI which was and still is not widely respected by most religious peoples in the world, including most Muslims. Ali now belongs to a more mainstream sect of Islam because he's older and wiser than he was when he lured into a minor sect of violence and exploitation.

You seem to think Ali was the best athlete in the history of the world, but Michael Jordan was voted that by the media over the past 100 yrs. Beauty contests like that are important to some folks who need something to hang their hat on, but even the world's best athlete could barely crack .200 in the baseball minor leagues or crack 80 in golf, two sports he'd give his MVPs and eyeteeth to compete in at the highest levels.

Why don't you look at Ali as a man, deeply and cruelly flawed with a good heart who strove mightily and heroically in this brief life we live. You'll have a healthier outlook, plus you'll know more than if you're just a one trick pony.

Dempsey 1919
10-30-2005, 06:49 PM
you're not telling me anything i don't already know. i know in his younger days he wasn't very nice, and that people hated him. however, depite the infamy if the nation of islam in the 1960s, terrel did'nt want to respect ali and that was wrong. ali punished him, and there's no law against that, not as long as they're in the ring. ali was naive back then, as he got bamboozled by the black muslims at a young age, but all i'm saying is that terrel purposely disrespected his religion, and that was wrong.

Tha Greatest
10-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Terrell got what he deserved!

FUBAR
10-31-2005, 01:29 PM
I've heard a ****load about this fight but I've never seen it anywhere to download. I'd love to see it.

Dempsey 1919
10-31-2005, 03:22 PM
espn classic brings it on occasionally. i would estimate about once a month. just check the listings from time to time. it's bound to pop up sometime on classic.

P.S.
don't i have by far da best signature? gotta love da butterfly!

Dempsey 1919
11-04-2005, 04:02 PM
you could tell from his facial expression.... Terrell was meant to be his hardest fight yet
no, i believe folley was supposed to be his hardest fight, and was up to that point.

fistlegend
11-04-2005, 04:42 PM
no, i believe folley was supposed to be his hardest fight, and was up to that point.

yeh, but the terrel fight was before the zora folley fight, so terrel was meant to be his hardest fight. and folley was a washed up man that time, from what i heard

Dempsey 1919
11-08-2005, 02:26 PM
yeh, but the terrel fight was before the zora folley fight, so terrel was meant to be his hardest fight. and folley was a washed up man that time, from what i heard
i see what you are saying.

Dempsey 1919
02-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Tuesday was the Fortieth Anniversary of this fight, by the way.:boxing:

American_Ninja
02-08-2007, 06:27 PM
This was definitely not the only time Ali was playing mind games with his opponent. Before the first fight with Sonny Liston, Cassius Clay (as he was then known) labelled him a "big ugly bear". Clay even drove to Liston's house in the middle of the night and set a "bear trap" on the lawn, challenging him to take him on right there. This enraged Liston and he promised to drive his fist down Clay's throat.

Liston also pulled a gun and started shooting at Ali, the joke was on Ali, the gun had blanks in it..

Dempsey 1919
02-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Liston also pulled a gun and started shooting at Ali, the joke was on Ali, the gun had blanks in it..

I remember that.

brownpimp88
02-08-2007, 07:02 PM
When Ali pummeled Ernie Terrel into submission in 1967, the press was attacking Ali for what he did. And in addition to the whole Vietnam thing, Ali was made out to be some kind of heartless monster.

But the fact is that before the fight Terrel refused to call Ali by his name. He insisted on calling him Cassius Clay, when in fact most people called him by his newly acquired muslim name. Even the fightcards called him Ali! What Terrel did was wrong, and he disrespected and humiliated not only Ali, but all muslims. Ali afterwards told him and the press that he was going to punish him mercilessly and make him say his real name. In that case, criticizing him after the fight doesn't make sense, since he said he was going to do it anyway. What the press should have been talking about was the multiple fouls Terrel committed during the fight. He was hitting him behind the head (rabbit punching), holding him and hitting him at the same time, and hitting him on the break all illegal and subject to the deduction of points. In and interview with Howard Cosell on ABC not long after the fight, Muhammad Ali apologized for talking to Terrel throughout the fight, and saying "what's my name" then hitting him. However he said he did it so Terrel and other people would respect his religious beliefs. Terrel ended up saying "Muhammad Ali", and rightfully so.

The bottom line is that Ernie Terrel got what was coming to him in my opinion. What do you think?

Lol, why do u always make it sound like all of his opponents were bad guys and ali is this nice angel. That is far from the truth, ali had plenty of demons inside of him, he aint this little angel nowdays that the media tries to portray him as.

Dempsey 1919
02-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Lol, why do u always make it sound like all of his opponents were bad guys and ali is this nice angel. That is far from the truth, ali had plenty of demons inside of him, he aint this little angel nowdays that the media tries to portray him as.

I'm just stating the facts, buddy.

Yaman
02-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Funny that the one person he could beat on relentlessly for calling him Clay, was a guy that had no chance in the first place. I wonder how it would of gone if Frazier or Norton called him Clay, yeah just play Ali's dirty little mind game too. Haha, say ''whats my name'' to Frazier and get a Left Hook that drops you. Say ''whats my name'' to Norton and get your jaw broken. This is one of the most annoying things in Boxing, Ali RELYING on mind games to win, if he was the ''greatest'', why didn't he just go out there like Louis, and prove it without using a stupid gimmick from a Wrestler. What im saying is that either Ali was an ******* to his fighters, or he had to rely on mind games to win. And this is something you can't give a fact on, fanboy.

Southpaw Stinger
02-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Funny that the one person he could beat on relentlessly for calling him Clay, was a guy that had no chance in the first place. I wonder how it would of gone if Frazier or Norton called him Clay, yeah just play Ali's dirty little mind game too. Haha, say ''whats my name'' to Frazier and get a Left Hook that drops you. Say ''whats my name'' to Norton and get your jaw broken. This is one of the most annoying things in Boxing, Ali RELYING on mind games to win, if he was the ''greatest'', why didn't he just go out there like Louis, and prove it without using a stupid gimmick from a Wrestler. What im saying is that either Ali was an ******* to his fighters, or he had to rely on mind games to win. And this is something you can't give a fact on, fanboy.

You've got to give a little love
take a litte love
Be prepared to forsake a little love
and when the sun comes shining through
we'll know what to do.....

sorry about the Bay City Roller terminology but you really do need to learn to love. :luvbed:

SABBATH
02-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Frazier almost always called Ali by the name Clay. Ali for his part relentlessly taunted Frazier both in and out of the ring as well as face to face outside the ring which led to a scuffle in the studios of Wide World of Sports. Ali called Frazier dumb, ugly, ignorant, an Uncle Tom, a gorilla etc...and continued the trash talk in the ring.

Ali knew Norton from 1971 when they had sparred together and their was never any legitimate animosity between the two fighters and no cause or motivation to trash talk.

Psychological warfare is part of sports none more so than boxing. Sonny Liston used to put towels under his robe to make his shoulders look even wider and Mike Tyson not wearing a robe was his way of trying to psych out an opponent.

An intelligent athlete uses every tool at his disposal.

Dempsey 1919
02-09-2007, 12:14 PM

Really idiot? Now you say he had no chance, but in 1966, everyone was talking about how Terrell could beat him, and even Terrell was mouthing off saying that Ali was afraid of him. Many people even said that Terrell had a better jab than Ali.:rolleyes: I don't remember what the gate for that fight was, but it was huge. Well, you know what happened when they got into the ring, now didn't you?

Anyway, I wonder what would happen if Frazier and Norton couldn't take advantage of a rusty, depleted Ali and had to have fought Ali in his prime? They would have been in for a long night, especilly Norton.

Ali was an "*******" because they were the *******s first. If Terrell wasn't calling him Clay, then the whole thing wouldn't have happened. You can blame Terrell for the whole predicament.

I know you hate Ali because everyone thinks he would beat Tyson Yaman, but don't hate the player, hate the game.

http://www.creativitorium.com/PLT/fts/Muhammad%20Ali.jpg

Dempsey 1919
02-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Frazier almost always called Ali by the name Clay. Ali for his part relentlessly taunted Frazier both in and out of the ring as well as face to face outside the ring which led to a scuffle in the studios of Wide World of Sports. Ali called Frazier dumb, ugly, ignorant, an Uncle Tom, a gorilla etc...and continued the trash talk in the ring.

Ali knew Norton from 1971 when they had sparred together and their was never any legitimate animosity between the two fighters and no cause or motivation to trash talk.

Psychological warfare is part of sports none more so than boxing. Sonny Liston used to put towels under his robe to make his shoulders look even wider and Mike Tyson not wearing a robe was his way of trying to psych out an opponent.

An intelligent athlete uses every tool at his disposal.

:fing02:...

Frazier's 15th round
02-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Anyway, I wonder what would happen if Frazier and Norton couldn't take advantage of a rusty, depleted Ali and had to have fought Ali in his prime? They would have been in for a long night, especilly Norton.

Frazier would pin that dancing fairy on the ropes and beat the hell out of him. 60's Ali threw nothing but pitty pat punches.

Dempsey 1919
02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Frazier would pin that dancing fairy on the ropes and beat the hell out of him. 60's Ali threw nothing but pitty pat punches.

Tell that to Cleveland Williams.

Dempsey 1919
02-09-2007, 01:36 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-EnIuC2i8Q"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-EnIuC2i8Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Yaman
02-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Really idiot? Now you say he had no chance, but in 1966, everyone was talking about how Terrell could beat him, and even Terrell was mouthing off saying that Ali was afraid of him. Many people even said that Terrell had a better jab than Ali.:rolleyes: I don't remember what the gate for that fight was, but it was huge. Well, you know what happened when they got into the ring, now didn't you?

Ali was an "*******" because they were the *******s first. If Terrell wasn't calling him Clay, then the whole thing wouldn't have happened. You can blame Terrell for the whole predicament.

I know you hate Ali because everyone thinks he would beat Tyson Yaman, but don't hate the player, hate the game.

http://www.creativitorium.com/PLT/fts/Muhammad%20Ali.jpg

It was obvious that Ali was the better fighter in the ring. What does the fact that Ali's millions of haters thought that Terrel would beat him at the time, have to do with it? Nothing, Buttfly. The fact is that Terrel had no chance from the beginning, as you could see if you watch the fight. And i was giving an example that Frazier or Norton could not be ****ed around like that, as opposed to Terrel. Saying ''whats my name'''to Frazier would result into a Left from Philly. Can't read can ya?

''Ali was an "*******" because they were the *******s first.'' Really? Was Frazier the one that betrayed Ali or stabbed his back? LOL. Did Foreman or Liston or Chuvalo etc etc etc(The list is too big if you ask me) degrade his image before he tried to play mind games? Slap yourself for that comment.
And i'll just ignore your other excuses and that you still call me a hater.
Pretty Ironic that Ali has asked for forgiveness to all of the fighters he insulted, that pretty much sums up his need for mind games to win.

Dempsey 1919
02-09-2007, 02:17 PM
It was obvious that Ali was the better fighter in the ring. What does the fact that Ali's millions of haters thought that Terrel would beat him at the time, have to do with it? Nothing, Buttfly. The fact is that Terrel had no chance from the beginning, as you could see if you watch the fight. And i was giving an example that Frazier or Norton could not be ****ed around like that, as opposed to Terrel. Saying ''whats my name'''to Frazier would result into a Left from Philly. Can't read can ya?

''Ali was an "*******" because they were the *******s first.'' Really? Was Frazier the one that betrayed Ali or stabbed his back? LOL. Did Foreman or Liston or Chuvalo etc etc etc(The list is too big if you ask me) degrade his image before he tried to play mind games? Slap yourself for that comment.
And i'll just ignore your other excuses and that you still call me a hater.
Pretty Ironic that Ali has asked for forgiveness to all of the fighters he insulted, that pretty much sums up his need for mind games to win.

It was obvious that Terrell had no chance? Terrell at that time was the best fighter in the world besides Ali, and he was 6'-6" with a very good jab. All the tools needed to beat someone with the style of Ali.

Frazier would not have beaten a prime Ali. Watch the Buster Mathis fight. A 245lb. tub of lard was easily outboxing Frazier up until he landed the ko punch. Ali would have done worse. Norton looked terrible when Ali was moving. A prime Ali moved all the time, therefore Norton losses badly at Ali's peak.

Mind games? So I guess it was mind games that cut up Sonny Liston's face, huh? I guess it was mind games that left Cleveland Williams face and body crumbled on the canvas in a bloody pulp. I guess it was mind games that left Zora Folley dazed and confused. I guess it was mind games that left Frazier's face disfigured and distorted. Yeah, those must have been some really good mind games, idiot.:rolleyes:

Yaman
02-09-2007, 02:27 PM
It was obvious that Terrell had no chance? Terrell at that time was the best fighter in the world besides Ali, and he was 6'-6" with a very good jab. All the tools needed to beat someone with the style of Ali.

Frazier would not have beaten a prime Ali. Watch the Buster Mathis fight. A 245lb. tub of lard was easily outboxing Frazier up until he landed the ko punch. Ali would have done worse. Norton looked terrible when Ali was moving. A prime Ali moved all the time, therefore Norton losses badly at Ali's peak.

Mind games? So I guess it was mind games that cut up Sonny Liston's face, huh? I guess it was mind games that left Cleveland Williams face and body crumbled on the canvas in a bloody pulp. I guess it was mind games that left Zora Folley dazed and confused. I guess it was mind games that left Frazier's face disfigured and distorted. Yeah, those must have been some really good mind games, idiot.:rolleyes:

I must have been wrong when i thought you say every Ali fight possible, Buttfly. Again, it was obvious that Terrel had no chance. What's so hard to understand about that? Haven't you seen the fight? You jerked off so much to his fights that you probably forgot counting:D You can't grasp my point, my point was that Terrel didn't stand a chance, and Ali could have ko'd him at any point. Therefor it would have been diffirent with Frazier or Norton etc. You still don't get it? Don't even bother then.

SABBATH
02-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Was Frazier the one that betrayed Ali or stabbed his back? LOL. Did Foreman or Liston or Chuvalo etc etc etc(The list is too big if you ask me) degrade his image before he tried to play mind games? Chuvalo started the war of words making fun of Ali for having small biceps and goading him calling him "Popeye" and "Cautious Clay". I've spoken to Chuvalo personally and he holds Ali in the highest regard and was quick to point out that he (Chuvalo) did most of the talking especially before their second fight, and it was all about building interest in the fight. It's part of the business.

As for what is said during a fight Chuvalo (like other Ali opponents, Terrell included) told me that he never heard a single thing Ali said as he was too focused on fighting and the noise of the crowd also made it difficult to hear.

It's a fight for ****'s sake. Ali's supposed to be sensitive to the other guy's 'feelings' now?

Dempsey 1919
02-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I must have been wrong when i thought you say every Ali fight possible, Buttfly. Again, it was obvious that Terrel had no chance. What's so hard to understand about that? Haven't you seen the fight? You jerked off so much to his fights that you probably forgot counting:D You can't grasp my point, my point was that Terrel didn't stand a chance, and Ali could have ko'd him at any point. Therefor it would have been diffirent with Frazier or Norton etc. You still don't get it? Don't even bother then.

It looked as if you were trying to say that Terrell was some sort of bum, and that's the only reason why Ali did well against him.

Dempsey 1919
02-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Chuvalo started the war of words making fun of Ali for having small biceps and goading him calling him "Popeye" and "Cautious Clay". I've spoken to Chuvalo personally and he holds Ali in the highest regard and was quick to point out that he (Chuvalo) did most of the talking especially before their second fight. As for what is said during a fight Chuvalo (like other Ali opponents, Terrell included) told me that he never heard a single thing Ali said as he was too focused on fighting and the noise of the crowd also made it difficult to hear.

It's a fight for ****'s sake. Ali's supposed to be sensitive to the other guy's 'feelings' now?

:fing02:...

Yaman
02-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Chuvalo started the war of words making fun of Ali for having small biceps and goading him calling him "Popeye" and "Cautious Clay". I've spoken to Chuvalo personally and he holds Ali in the highest regard and was quick to point out that he (Chuvalo) did most of the talking especially before their second fight, and it was all about building interest in the fight. It's part of the business.

As for what is said during a fight Chuvalo (like other Ali opponents, Terrell included) told me that he never heard a single thing Ali said as he was too focused on fighting and the noise of the crowd also made it difficult to hear.

Way to pick out one specific word out of a post that was more of an example, like always. My point wasn't Chuvalo in specific(Plenty of other fighters i could've mentioned), everybody knows that Ali HAD to use his little tricks. It isn't about feelings, it is the fact that Ali felt like he couldn't win unless he ****ed the guys head up.

ROSEWOOD
02-09-2007, 05:28 PM

You are damn right....Terrel disrespected Ali, not only to his face but to the world...And in front of world he made that fool pay....He could have killed that fool if he wanted too....

The same goes for Patterson...he disrespected Ali and paid dearly for it..

SABBATH
02-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Way to pick out one specific word out of a post that was more of an example, like always. My point wasn't Chuvalo in specific(Plenty of other fighters i could've mentioned), everybody knows that Ali HAD to use his little tricks. It isn't about feelings, it is the fact that Ali felt like he couldn't win unless he ****ed the guys head up.And way to yet again post something ridiculous with no factual basis.

"Ali felt he couldnt win unless he ****ed the guys head up" How the **** do you know how Ali felt?

Terrell disrespected Ali's religion by refusing to call him by his Muslim name. Punished.

Ditto for Patterson who called Ali Clay and also said "I'm going to bring the title back to America," as if Ali suddenly wasn't an American. Punished.

The rest of the **** was all about show and building the gate. Do you really think Foreman, Holmes and Shavers cared about being called The Mummy, Peanut Head or Acorn? Do you really think that was geared towards ****ing their head's up?

Brassangel
02-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Does anybody know where Terrell, or Patterson stood religiously?

I ask because if they were truly conservative Christians, for example, respecting a religion that resides in direct contradiction to the God of the Bible--in this case, Islam--is just like saying to God that a person is willing to pay homage to someone else. This is, of course, for those who know, a critical breaking of the first commandment, and therefore a breaking of the others by association. Those details are better left generalized given that this is a boxing thread. If anyone has questions, however, feel free to let me know!

Back to the point...

It is not good cause for a Christian to pay respect to something which defiles the message of God; a Christian should, however, call the man by the name he wishes to be called, but not because of a religious movement.

Again, this only applies if Patterson and/or Terrell were actually practicing Christians.

Just a little something to chew on.

SABBATH
02-10-2007, 10:53 AM
"...I have the right to call the Black Muslims a menace to the United States and a menace to the Negro race. I have the right to say the Black Muslims stink. I am a Roman Catholic...Cassius Clay is disgracing himself and the Negro race...I have nothing but contempt for the Black muslims and that for which they stand. The image of a Black Muslim as the world heavyweight champion disgraces the sport and the nation. Cassius Clay must be beaten and the Black Muslim's scourge removed from boxing."

-Floyd Patterson
Sports Illustrated
October 14, 1965

No wonder Ali wanted to punish him. I shed no tears for Floyd.

Dempsey 1919
02-10-2007, 11:32 AM

I ask because if they were truly conservative Christians, for example, respecting a religion that resides in direct contradiction to the God of the Bible--in this case, Islam--is just like saying to God that a person is willing to pay homage to someone else. This is, of course, for those who know, a critical breaking of the first commandment, and therefore a breaking of the others by association. Those details are better left generalized given that this is a boxing thread. If anyone has questions, however, feel free to let me know!

Back to the point...

It is not good cause for a Christian to pay respect to something which defiles the message of God; a Christian should, however, call the man by the name he wishes to be called, but not because of a religious movement.

Again, this only applies if Patterson and/or Terrell were actually practicing Christians.

Just a little something to chew on.

Not true. You should call someone by the name they want to be called, period. It doesn't matter if it's for religious reasons contradictory to your own. I'm a Christian, and I don't believe in Ali's religion, but I do respect his decision to change his name and who am I to tell someone what their name really is? It's their choice, not mine.

:cool:

Dempsey 1919
02-10-2007, 11:35 AM
"...I have the right to call the Black Muslims a menace to the United States and a menace to the Negro race. I have the right to say the Black Muslims stink. I am a Roman Catholic...Cassius Clay is disgracing himself and the Negro race...I have nothing but contempt for the Black muslims and that for which they stand. The image of a Black Muslim as the world heavyweight champion disgraces the sport and the nation. Cassius Clay must be beaten and the Black Muslim's scourge removed from boxing."

-Floyd Patterson
Sports Illustrated
October 14, 1965

No wonder Ali wanted to punish him. I shed no tears for Floyd.

Also, he said this.

I didn't just want to win the title back for the black. I wanted to win the title back for the black, the white, the blue, the red, and the pink!

It looks like Floyd isn't quite the nice quiet man everyone thinks he is.:rolleyes:

Yaman
02-10-2007, 01:24 PM
I am a Christian, and if i had to call a former Christian by his new Muslim name out of respect for his religion, i don't think i would. Mind you that Muhammad Ali insulted the Christian religion aswell.

Yaman
02-10-2007, 01:29 PM
And way to yet again post something ridiculous with no factual basis.

"Ali felt he couldnt win unless he ****ed the guys head up" How the **** do you know how Ali felt?

Terrell disrespected Ali's religion by refusing to call him by his Muslim name. Punished.

Ditto for Patterson who called Ali Clay and also said "I'm going to bring the title back to America," as if Ali suddenly wasn't an American. Punished.

The rest of the **** was all about show and building the gate. Do you really think Foreman, Holmes and Shavers cared about being called The Mummy, Peanut Head or Acorn? Do you really think that was geared towards ****ing their head's up?

First of all, i never claimed Ali had to use this tactic to win, or how he felt. Like i said earlier ''Either he was an ******* to his fighters, or he felt like he couldn't win without mind games'' it's speculation from my point, and i would like to know this myself. You and i both know it wasn't all about show and building the gate. Some of his opponents were beaten before the bell rang. I don't care about a fighters feelings like that, why should i care. It is simply strange that the man who always claimed to be the ''Greatest'' couldn't let his fists alone speak.

Dempsey 1919
02-10-2007, 02:17 PM
I am a Christian, and if i had to call a former Christian by his new Muslim name out of respect for his religion, i don't think i would. Mind you that Muhammad Ali insulted the Christian religion aswell.

No, not out of respect for his religion, but out of respect for the man himself.

:cool:

Dempsey 1919
02-10-2007, 02:18 PM
First of all, i never claimed Ali had to use this tactic to win, or how he felt. Like i said earlier ''Either he was an ******* to his fighters, or he felt like he couldn't win without mind games'' it's speculation from my point, and i would like to know this myself. You and i both know it wasn't all about show and building the gate. Some of his opponents were beaten before the bell rang. I don't care about a fighters feelings like that, why should i care. It is simply strange that the man who always claimed to be the ''Greatest'' couldn't let his fists alone speak.

That's what made him so great, he was a master of the mental aspect as well as the physical aspect.

Brassangel
02-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Respecting a man's name for the sake of a name is fine; out of respect to the religion, it's not. I even made that pretty clear in my post.

Just for the record, Roman Catholicism is entirely different from Biblical Christianity; the separation from scripture taken by the Catholic church, as well as their domineering persecution of those who opposed the (heretical) Papacy was a key reason for the start of the reformation, and the subsequent movements to America.

Thanks for clarifying Patterson's stand, SABBATH. He did say hurtful things about Ali directly, which isn't okay in anybody's book. It's not like Ali was very nice to his opponents, either, however.

@butterfly: As a Christian, you should be aware that turning the other cheek, as well as understanding that vengeance doesn't belong to us, should make Ali's remarks and actions unsettling for you.

rosco 2
03-03-2010, 09:03 PM
this is the only fight where ali was down right crual,,,i have watched the fight many times ,and still cannot believe the referee didn,t stop it..Terrell couldnt even see out of his eyes and was pawing at ali...Ali could have stopped him any time after the 10th round ,but was content to humiliate him...

Even now i cant,but wonder why even his corner did,nt stop the fight..let alone the referee.

Terrell was a fine fighter who like others got caught up in politics of boxing..

Enough said

Earl Hickey
03-03-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't think he "deserved" what he got at all

Ziggy Stardust
03-03-2010, 11:07 PM
His Mom and Dad called him Cassius until the day they died :tragedy:

Poet

Jim Jeffries
03-04-2010, 02:05 AM
Remind me why Terrel was required to call Clay some name he made up for himself again?

DeepSleep
03-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Remind me why Terrel was required to call Clay some name he made up for himself again?

Because Ali told him so. He didn't listen and got the beating he apparently wanted.

Rolling Stone
03-04-2010, 02:52 AM
it was a good old fashioned 'ass-whooping'......Ali said he was going to punish him and he came through

TheGreatA
03-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Terrell didn't really do anything out of ordinary. Ali demanded Terrell to call him by his new name in front of a live audience which was obviously not going to happen because it would have been a mental advantage for Ali to get Terrell to "bow down" before their fight. It didn't have anything to do with Terrell being any kind of an "Uncle Tom", it was all about Terrell not giving in to his opponent's wishes.

It would have looked bad for him had Ali been able to intimidate him like that in my opinion. Of course in the fight Ali simply proved superior.

sonnyboyx2
03-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Terrell didn't really do anything out of ordinary. Ali demanded Terrell to call him by his new name in front of a live audience which was obviously not going to happen because it would have been a mental advantage for Ali to get Terrell to "bow down" before their fight. It didn't have anything to do with Terrell being any kind of an "Uncle Tom", it was all about Terrell not giving in to his opponent's wishes.

It would have looked bad for him had Ali been able to intimidate him like that in my opinion. Of course in the fight Ali simply proved superior.
i agree.. its like Manny Pacquiao agreeing to Floyd Mayweathers demands, its Psychological warfare

Sugarj
03-04-2010, 07:22 AM
That said, Terrell was a bit cheeky singing a song on live TV about Clay changing his name.............and how he in turn was going to change his face.

There was nothing cheeky about what Ali did in return, and Terrell's allegations that he was thumbed and had the top rope rubbed along his eye may well have been true.

Only twice was Ali truely nasty:

1) The first Patterson fight
2) The Terrell fight.

wmute
03-04-2010, 07:41 AM
i agree.. its like Manny Pacquiao agreeing to Floyd Mayweathers demands, its Psychological warfare

except drugs, unlike names, give you more than a psychological advantage.

sonnyboyx2
03-04-2010, 08:52 AM
except drugs, unlike names, give you more than a psychological advantage.

not a single shread of evidence to say drugs have been used, its clear from viewing Pacquiao`s career performances that his improvement is down to his association with Freddie Roach... boxing ability wise as well as ring generalship have improved 110% since Pac teamed up with Roach... looking at both Pacquiao & Floyd physique wise, IMO it is Floyd who is the steroid abuser and his demands are to take the heat off himself.. however we will have to wait and see what the commision rules stipulate should these 2 fighters agree to fight in the autumn.. For Floyds sake i hope the fight happens because he will need to fight until he is 50yrs old to pay Pacquiao all the damages he will be awarded from his lawsuit

wmute
03-04-2010, 10:33 AM
not a single shread of evidence to say drugs have been used, its clear from viewing Pacquiao`s career performances that his improvement is down to his association with Freddie Roach... boxing ability wise as well as ring generalship have improved 110% since Pac teamed up with Roach... looking at both Pacquiao & Floyd physique wise, IMO it is Floyd who is the steroid abuser and his demands are to take the heat off himself.. however we will have to wait and see what the commision rules stipulate should these 2 fighters agree to fight in the autumn.. For Floyds sake i hope the fight happens because he will need to fight until he is 50yrs old to pay Pacquiao all the damages he will be awarded from his lawsuit

seriously???

Ridiculousness aside. How does that answer my post?
I merely pointed out that taking a blood test for PED and calling someone a certain name is not the same thing.

Did I ever say that Pacquiao took anything in my post? No, so why do you feel the need to make this argument?

boxingbuff
03-04-2010, 04:32 PM
[[[In and interview with Howard Cosell on ABC not long after the fight, Muhammad Ali apologized for talking to Terrel throughout the fight, and saying "what's my name" then hitting him. However he said he did it so Terrel and other people would respect his religious beliefs. Terrel ended up saying "Muhammad Ali", and rightfully so]]]
===========================

Kid, obviously you've chosen Ali as a idol and role model and certainly he set an good example for a lot of folks, but he also POed plenty and had a pretty healthy selfish and cruel side to him that his idolaters tend to ignore.

Terrell and Ali were longtime friends who had trained a bit with each other and travelled together. The whole name thing was nothing but a promotional gimmick that Ali was using back then, nothing more.

Part of Ali's bad side was that he was incredibly cruel in the ring back then, accused of carrying injured Patterson and Terrell for his amusement. Basically boxers usually have a gentlemen's credo about injured fighters which he broke. Terrell ripped up his eyeball early in the fight on the ropes and was seeing double and triple during the bout. Ali should've KOed him or eased up instead of propping him up to punish and humiliate in the ring.

If you want to look to Ali as an example, then you should understand he wasn't the brightest guy around, and converted to NOI which was and still is not widely respected by most religious peoples in the world, including most Muslims. Ali now belongs to a more mainstream sect of Islam because he's older and wiser than he was when he lured into a minor sect of violence and exploitation.

You seem to think Ali was the best athlete in the history of the world, but Michael Jordan was voted that by the media over the past 100 yrs. Beauty contests like that are important to some folks who need something to hang their hat on, but even the world's best athlete could barely crack .200 in the baseball minor leagues or crack 80 in golf, two sports he'd give his MVPs and eyeteeth to compete in at the highest levels.

Why don't you look at Ali as a man, deeply and cruelly flawed with a good heart who strove mightily and heroically in this brief life we live. You'll have a healthier outlook, plus you'll know more than if you're just a one trick pony.

Muhammad Ali was named the "Athlete of the Century" by sports illustrated,USA Today,and other magazines.Ahead of Micheal Jordan.Muhammad Ali was also picked 2nd behind Babe Ruth by the AP,and 4th by ESPN.

boxingbuff
03-04-2010, 04:43 PM

Joe Frazier always referred to Muhammad Ali as CLAY.Starting back as early as 1966.From 1966 till 1976 Frazier continued to call Muhammad CLAY during his fighting carreer,and still calling him CLAY for atleast 20 years after his fighting carreer.

BTW-Frazier started calling Ali CLAY "before" Ali ever said a bad thing about Joe.Frazier got what he deserved by calling Muhammad CLAY.

mame09
03-05-2010, 08:56 PM
clay lost to frazier in his prime (fight of the century)

clay didnt want to come out after the 15th round against frazier (thrilla in manilla)

all the trash talk and verbal abuses towards frazier and he still got the belting of his life.

Prinsemanspoper
03-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Indeed,and had "smokey" had the testicular fortitude and not quit in his corner then he would have had his glass jaw cracked by a feather fisted dancer just to cap the morning off.

T3dBundy
03-06-2010, 05:08 AM

clay didnt want to come out after the 15th round against frazier (thrilla in manilla)

all the trash talk and verbal abuses towards frazier and he still got the belting of his life.

really?
did u saw a picture of frazier after an ali fight ?

http://www.sweetfights.com/joefraz.jpg

it was after their first or last fight i guess, dont know really ...

JAB5239
03-06-2010, 05:26 AM
really?
did u saw a picture of frazier after an ali fight ?

http://www.sweetfights.com/joefraz.jpg

it was after their first or last fight i guess, dont know really ...

Frazier took a beating, no doubt. But it still doesn't change the fact that Ali said he didn't want to come out for the 15th. Kudo's to both fighter for arguably the greatest heavyweight fight of all time.

Prinsemanspoper
03-06-2010, 05:39 AM
It doesn't change the fact that frazier didn't come out and quit in his corner rather than get knocked out either.

I wouldn't give frazier much credit.People forget just how one sided a contest that fight really was.

This fight wasn't even the greatest heavyweight fight of 1975,let alone of all time.

JAB5239
03-06-2010, 05:52 AM
It doesn't change the fact that frazier didn't come out and quit in his corner rather than get knocked out either.

I wouldn't give frazier much credit.People forget just how one sided a contest that fight really was.

This fight wasn't even the greatest heavyweight fight of 1975,let alone of all time.

Serious question here.........exactly how many time have you been banned now? If nothing else I respect your persistence to keep coming back, but I just gotta know. Its gotta be between 15 and 20, right?

boxingbuff
03-06-2010, 05:11 PM

Muhammad Ali(Not Clay)did not lose to Frazier in his prime.Ali fought Frazier after his 3 1/2 year lay-off,not in his PRIME in 1966/67.

Where in the heck do you get that Ali did not want to come out for the 15th round in the thrilla in Manilla? Besides in JOE FRAZIER'S book where he kept making excuses about losing to Ali both times? Frazier tells right out lies in his book when talking about himself losing to Muhammad Ali.

It was Frazier who did not come out for the 15th round!! Good thing for him to,or he would have been KO'd.

Frazier is the one to start the trash talking back in 1966 calling Ali CLAY.He continued calling Muhammad CLAY throughout his fighting career and 20 years after he was done fighting.Frazier got what he deserved!! Frazier deserved to get the verbal barage he got from Muhammad Ali!! He also got beat 2 out of 3 times in the ring,and got TKO'd in the rubber match!! This was even after Ali's 3 1/2 year lay-off.

boxingbuff
03-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Frazier took a beating, no doubt. But it still doesn't change the fact that Ali said he didn't want to come out for the 15th. Kudo's to both fighter for arguably the greatest heavyweight fight of all time.

Ali didn't want to come out for the 15th round? Lol

Only in Joe Frazier's book where Joe Frazier said that, can you find a qoute saying that.It was in Frazier's book where he was "making excuses" for his two losses to Ali.

Did you know right after the 2nd fight Frazier told the press he felt he won EVERY round? Lol Watch that fight when you get time.Lol

Frazier then was making EXCUSES for losing the 3rd fight in his book.Lol

FACT:It was Frazier who didn't come out for the 15th round.

It was Frazier telling "flat out lies" saying Willie the Worm Monroe heard Ali say he didn't want to come out for the 15th round.Frazier said that in his book. Making excuses for losing,Lol

General Zod
03-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Did you know right after the 2nd fight Frazier told the press he felt he won EVERY round? Lol Watch that fight when you get time.Lol

Ali should not of been allowed to clinch like that throughout the fight. Futch pleaded with Perez to stop Ali constantly clinching Frazier but the ref turned a blind eye to it.

Prinsemanspoper
03-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Serious question here.........exactly how many time have you been banned now? If nothing else I respect your persistence to keep coming back, but I just gotta know. Its gotta be between 15 and 20, right?

That's nice to hear.

Quite honestly,gabby,it's not a big deal to get banned.It doesn't take but ive minutes to simply register again.

15-20 is a little exaggeration on your part but I can appreciate a little humor.

Ali should not of been allowed to clinch like that throughout the fight. Futch pleaded with Perez to stop Ali constantly clinching Frazier but the ref turned a blind eye to it.

The ref turned a blind eye to nothing except his watch at around the second round.

Ali's "clinching" was no different to any other fighter that has used tactical holding.There is a great difference between holding an opponent to survive and to avoid all action,and boxing and maneuvering effectively to negate a well know illegal tactic on the part of frazier,who did commonly get away with this throughout his career without warning.

frazier did accept his loss in the post fight interview and had no choice but to do so.

General Zod
03-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Ali's "clinching" was no different to any other fighter that has used tactical holding.There is a great difference between holding an opponent to survive and to avoid all action,and boxing and maneuvering effectively to negate a well know illegal tactic on the part of frazier,who did commonly get away with this throughout his career without warning.

What illegal tactic are you talking about? I know Frazier hit opponents on the hips to slow them down.

Ziggy Stardust
03-07-2010, 10:20 AM
That's nice to hear.

Quite honestly,gabby,it's not a big deal to get banned.It doesn't take but ive minutes to simply register again.

15-20 is a little exaggeration on your part but I can appreciate a little humor.

The ref turned a blind eye to nothing except his watch at around the second round.

frazier did accept his loss in the post fight interview and had no choice but to do so.

Red Ked, reported, and ignored.

Poet

billionaire
03-07-2010, 06:17 PM

pretty much it was normal trash talk just amplified by the political situation.....if anyone got what they deserved it was floyd patterson promising to bring the title back to america.....

boxingbuff
03-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Ali was not allowed to clinch in the Trilla in Manilla,but the result was the same.So what is your excuse for the 3rd fight? Lol

General Zod
03-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Ali was not allowed to clinch in the Trilla in Manilla,but the result was the same.So what is your excuse for the 3rd fight? Lol
No excuse needed, it was a good stoppage by Futch, although it seems that Frazier never 'left' the ring in Manilla and is still fighting there.

The Beatles
03-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Muhammad Ali is the greatest Heavyweight Ever and it seems he still has his haters on here, fabricating stories and telling lies.......Listen to Angelo Dundee's interview with On The Ropes a couple months ago and he states clearly that the HBO documentary was full of ****e and that Ali never said he wanted to quit......its a shame so many people are gullable to believe that bull****e from the documentary......Ali quit in a fight with Frazier when he was killing him for 4 rounds straight???? get real idiots

Calilloyd
03-10-2010, 04:01 PM

Count me in as somebody who is not sympathetic towards Terrell in that situation. If you get personal with your opponent you can't complain or seek sympathy when that opponent punishes you in the ring. That's what boxing is all about.

Calilloyd
03-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Red Ked, reported, and ignored.

Poet

LOL I think that covers everything.

Calilloyd
03-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Ali legally changed his name to Muhammad Ali. He didn't "make it up". There is a meaning behind the name. Educate yourself.

frankenfrank
03-11-2010, 07:44 AM

i really doubt if ali could beat tyson , or even marciano.
tyson would have hit him bad.
also , ali was quite a dirty fighter himself with the holding and hitting and rabbit punches , holding behind the head , etc , maybe he is one of hopkins' examples of how to fight.
and also the ropes were very loose indeed in the foreman fight and ali did use to the max. who knows what would have happened if it wasn't the case.
i think foreman had a good chance of stopping ali without the ropes being loose.

frankenfrank
03-11-2010, 07:48 AM
bonavena couldn't , he was badly stopped instead , and ali had too many stoppage wins in the 60's to claim such a thing.

Ziggy Stardust
03-11-2010, 09:41 AM
i really doubt if ali could beat tyson , or even marciano.
tyson would have hit him bad.
also , ali was quite a dirty fighter himself with the holding and hitting and rabbit punches , holding behind the head , etc , maybe he is one of hopkins' examples of how to fight.
and also the ropes were very loose indeed in the foreman fight and ali did use to the max. who knows what would have happened if it wasn't the case.
i think foreman had a good chance of stopping ali without the ropes being loose.

You're a spastic: Go away :killyou:

Poet

Jim Jeffries
03-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Ali legally changed his name to Muhammad Ali. He didn't "make it up". There is a meaning behind the name. Educate yourself.

You could legally change your name to Joe Moron for all I care, doesn't mean I have to call you that. Though I might call you by your surname by accident.

Toney616
03-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Terrel knew Ali when he was still calling himself Cassius Clay, he said, he said it by accident. Cassius was named after the famous firebrand Abolitionist, Ali should of been proud of that name. Whats so great about taking on a Arab name anyway, didnt he know about the Arab slave trade?

Vadrigar.
06-07-2010, 12:45 AM
yes he deserved it.